Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
The barking dogs in Colonial Boy cracked me up. They might have been in the album version, but they really shine in Retinal Circus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Don't get me wrong, I love the man but I think he needs to get other people to mix his stuff. I might be in the minority here, but I find The Retinal Circus audio to be so damned 'bassy' and low that it just sounds flat, overproduced and a little bit lifeless. Deconstruction and Addicted from By a Thread were horribly mixed also, and the last time I saw him live earlier this year, it was the same issue. Just loud, loud lowness and drowned-out vocals. I know he wants a 'big' sound but sometimes it's to the detriment of clarity. The guitars just don't seem to have any bite.

Saying that, he loving nailed the vocals in Detox from the Circus. Man still has it.

henpod fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Oct 9, 2013

The Jenk
Apr 18, 2009

henpod posted:

Don't get me wrong, I love the man but I think he needs to get other people to mix his stuff. I might be in the minority here, but I find The Retinal Circus audio to be so damned 'bassy' and low that it just sounds flat, overproduced and a little bit lifeless. Deconstruction and Addicted from By a Thread were horribly mixed also, and the last time I saw him live earlier this year, it was the same issue. Just loud, loud lowness and drowned-out vocals. I know he wants a 'big' sound but sometimes it's to the detriment of clarity. The guitars just don't seem to have any bite.

Saying that, he loving nailed the vocals in Detox from the Circus. Man still has it.

I didn't mind retinal so much, though I have only listened on Spotify so much. It sounds a hell of a lot better than By a Thread and his Brixton show this year to me.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Devin Townsend ripped Melbourne apart tonight.

We got Truth, Regulator, Christeen, War, Kingdom, Disrupter, Juular, Liberation, Lucky Animals, Storm, Save Our Now, Gaia (What the gently caress?! gently caress yeah!), Vampira, Deep Peace and GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCEEEEEEE.

I met him and the rest of the band after the show. They are all absurdly cool people. I got photos with them all and they let this little tragic fanboy talk to them without calling for security.

loving awesome.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Yeah, awesome show last night and still stunned/ecstatic that we got Gaia. Possibly my favourite thing that he's ever done.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

My copy of Retinal Circus arrived last night, gonna break it out this weekend SO PUMPED

Zalgo
Oct 21, 2009

He͔̻̖͕ ͕͈̺͕̜c̯̜͇̲o̜͖̦m͙es͔̞̬̗͙.̥
Got mine last night and watched it within an hour of unboxing it. The 'Monkey Box' edition owns bones.

E: :nws: http://i.imgur.com/kDPxxoN.jpg :nws:

Zalgo fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 20, 2013

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp
Devin is amazing. Makes me so proud to be Canadian :canada:

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Oh boy! Devin is having all sorts of issues on the latest Ziltoid radio episode. How many more episodes do you think he'll do before bowing out?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rusty Kettle posted:

Oh boy! Devin is having all sorts of issues on the latest Ziltoid radio episode. How many more episodes do you think he'll do before bowing out?
He's been complaining about this one on Twitter for a while. He had to make it on his laptop in a hotel in Japan with an older version of Pro Tools that didn't read his session file. He called it the "budget episode" and promises business as usual next time. We'll see!

Viivac
Jan 5, 2005

I need a cheaper hobby
Just got Retinal Circus. Definitely the best produced live show of his yet. It looks great!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Rusty Kettle posted:

Just started listening to the first one of these and it makes my walk to work more bearable.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk0wlqwrabw

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Hey, so which, if any, Sirius/XM stations play Devin? I've never heard one.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

GORDON posted:

Hey, so which, if any, Sirius/XM stations play Devin? I've never heard one.

Liquid Metal does it on occasion. I've heard More! on there a few times, and Deconstruction once.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

When's the next Ziltoid podcast out?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

spookygonk posted:

When's the next Ziltoid podcast out?

In two weeks.

https://twitter.com/dvntownsend/status/414580345267179520

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Team Rock radio have taken the first 2 episodes of Ziltoid radio down :( Are they online anywhere else?

The Jenk
Apr 18, 2009
Ziltoid is doing an alternative Christmas speech at 3pm on team rock tomorrow.

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp
Yesyes! Casualties of Cool out in May

http://www.metalsucks.net/2014/01/02/devin-townsend-update-casualties-cool-album-release-ziltoid-2-recording-session-happening-may-2014/

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Niiiiice! I can't wait! Ziltoid 2 being recorded is better than christmas. Ziltoid is my favorite album, and I was so worried he wasn't going to expand on it. I forget where I read it, but I recall him saying something like he'd never do another ziltoid album because comedy and heavy metal don't mix. I couldn't disagree more. It's pretty much the best combination. And I'm so glad he changed his mind.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

We haven't talked about Devin being cool in too long!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9-waGQbz3o

:allears:

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
I was thinking of posting that, those vocals are badass. I might rip the audio and replace the studio version with that on my ipod.

I find the guitars and drums just to be too muddy in their recording for all his live albums, so this is a good middleground.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

henpod posted:

I was thinking of posting that, those vocals are badass. I might rip the audio and replace the studio version with that on my ipod.

I find the guitars and drums just to be too muddy in their recording for all his live albums, so this is a good middleground.

It is drat good. Not a fan of the song, but gently caress he lets rip.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

They just released another one. This time Kingdom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nubJjB95VdY

:swoon: this man can do no wrong.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
So loving awesome. Devy is a total goofball. Love it.

Stupidog
Mar 30, 2007

So looking forward to Casualties. I stalk RVP and he's been dishing info on the demos they are doing and sounds like everything is going great. Seems like they will have something to share pretty soon.

Z2 sounds like quite a challenging project. How do you keep it from becoming over the top cheesy, as the original almost became? I figure Ziltoid will be less vocal on the album while appearing more in the lyrics? No clue, but whatever happens, I'm sure the music will be amazing. Glad he's using a real drummer for the album this time around.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Here's some news from Dev's Facebook!

He wants to release Casualties independently, so soon he's gonna launch a three month long crowdfunding campaign on PledgeMusic to cover the costs of album packaging, a promo video... that sorta thing.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Man, Dev really deserves to be richer considering how long he's been at making music.

Yannos
Aug 4, 2006

You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee.Black. You have five earth minutes ... Make it Perfect!
The campaign is up at http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/casualties-of-cool

AND almost funded after 1 day... the rewards are awesome. Pledged to get him to name my dog and make a drawing of him and sing my girlfriend a happy birthday song :3:

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

How does pledge music do the downloads? Any idea what quality/format it is or is that set by the musicians?

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Up to 170% already, goddamn.

FrankenVader
Sep 12, 2004
Polymer Records

henpod posted:

Man, Dev really deserves to be richer considering how long he's been at making music.

you can thank the interwebs for making that not possible

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
I'd love to pledge and get a signed CD, but I want to actually hear what the music sounds like a little bit at least before I throw down £20. Ghost got a lot of love, and its a great album but really wasn't for me. I never really listen to it, and if this is a similar, quiet album I would probably pass on it.

Edit - There is actually a song there which I didn't spot. Sounds pretty good I guess. Too bad its still 80 days away..

henpod fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 23, 2014

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Devin's been a-tweeting, and frankly he seems pretty overwhelmed by the support. He's pledged to give some of the surplus money to three animal shelters in New York, and is toying with the idea of giving backers the chance to contribute to Z2 gang vox... which would be weird.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Just ordered the signed double album. Really happy to see he's getting so much support, and with so much time to go still its gonna be awesome to see more flood in.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Call me a jerk, but I am not really happy with the donations to animal shelters. Maybe it is my personal experience with the inner workings of a number of shelters, but I would rather see the money go to Devin to continue to make awesome music. Cancer research is most likely okay. Children's Hospitals are okay. Maybe disaster relief. Animal shelters are a crap shoot as to whether or not the money is exasperating or helping the problem of 'we got too many drat cats and dogs.'

But that's a side track, I am really happy that he is getting the support he is getting and hope that it funds some awesome stuff from him in the future.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

Rusty Kettle posted:

Call me a jerk, but I am not really happy with the donations to animal shelters. Maybe it is my personal experience with the inner workings of a number of shelters, but I would rather see the money go to Devin to continue to make awesome music. Cancer research is most likely okay. Children's Hospitals are okay. Maybe disaster relief. Animal shelters are a crap shoot as to whether or not the money is exasperating or helping the problem of 'we got too many drat cats and dogs.'

But that's a side track, I am really happy that he is getting the support he is getting and hope that it funds some awesome stuff from him in the future.

I kind of feel the same. I'm more than happy to support Devin so he can keep doing his thing and feel that his fans are behind him, but I really didn't throw my cash down for animal shelters.

Either way I guess he's had a glimpse at how much people are willing to get involved with his projects and the doggies can get their biscuits.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Next EMG video is up. Devin shreds and jam's on his guitar for ten minutes. Pretty cool. Deconstruction at 7:15 :black101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdhUvQdxHH8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I miss Ziltoid radio. Wasn't he supposed to switch to once a month?

• Locked thread