Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Someguy posted:

I'm sorry that the idea that netcode is a real thing that exists makes you really upset, enough to rage out over it, but don't think anyone ever cared enough to read your post history. Thanks for letting us know you have a podcast though, that explains some things.

Just doing my part to point out moronic spergy bullshit wherever I see it. :cheers:

I'm super excited about this #crankshaftsforobama mission! C4'ing tanks is great! Running up to them is always the best part. Feels so good when you get away with it alive. My success rate is abysmally low but I keep at it even though I realize I’ve only got about a 1 in 10 chance of succeeding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

Someguy posted:

I'm sorry that the idea that netcode is a real thing that exists makes you really upset, enough to rage out over it, but don't think anyone ever cared enough to read your post history. Thanks for letting us know you have a podcast though, that explains some things.

Jesus loving Christ take a pill.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I hope Second Assault is out before the end of Feb. I really want to play some Gulf of Oman / Caspian Border. Firestorm can go either way. Metro can eat a dick, especially since Op locker is better(relatively).

Merica
Jan 28, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I hope Second Assault is out before the end of Feb. I really want to play some Gulf of Oman / Caspian Border. Firestorm can go either way. Metro can eat a dick, especially since Op locker is better(relatively).

I'd just like some new maps for more variety. Even though will be too many 24/7 locker/metro meatgrinder servers.

EDIT: I would but I don't hate fun.
VVVVV

Merica fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 12, 2014

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
Play on a HC Locker. Even if it is something you already know, you will KNOW how freaking horrible the net code in the series has become. Kill trading and seeing "0 HP" on the kill cam when the guy runs on is freaking infuriating. The you get a "40 Assist".

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Play on a HC Locker. Even if it is something you already know, you will KNOW how freaking horrible the net code in the series has become. Kill trading and seeing "0 HP" on the kill cam when the guy runs on is freaking infuriating. The you get a "40 Assist".

I don't understand the upsetness of kill trading, 2 guys shoot each other and both bullets hit is a thing that happens and makes sense to me. I would be more upset if my bullets disappeared when I died magically.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Sorry I blew up your whining spergy :bandwagon: so bad you went and listened to my podcast and read through my posting history, bro. Please post more about your netbeans and fairyrates or something.

#crankshaftsforobama

He's actually talking about me, I am the sperg in the rage post. Also, high five podcast bro.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

socialsecurity posted:

I don't understand the upsetness of kill trading, 2 guys shoot each other and both bullets hit is a thing that happens and makes sense to me. I would be more upset if my bullets disappeared when I died magically.

Indeed. I'm rarely annoyed at kill trading but I'm annoyed that my rockets disappear when I die.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
My biggest gripe with the game at the moment is the amount of times I die to people I've been shooting who have zero health. It happens at least twice per game. I know in most cases I would've died anyway, but it's really annoying to see. Apart from that I'm having a lot of fun.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ChronoReverse posted:

Indeed. I'm rarely annoyed at kill trading but I'm annoyed that my rockets disappear when I die.

I wonder if mortars disappear in mid air if the base is blown up. I bet they do.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

OGS-Remix posted:

If you jihad vehicle someone, that counts as two vehicles destroyed right? Allahu Akbar!

Two for the price of FUN!

bringer posted:

Good players continue to do well consistently, bad players do poorly. What is the problem with the netcode exactly?

I play a lot of domination in BF4 and I played a lot of Close Quarters in BF3. They both have the same problem of dying after you thought you made it to cover -- the BF3 thread was rife with complaints about it.

Be honest, you're not upset with BF4 because of tickrate or netcode, you're upset with BF4 because of balance and gameplay changes.

Yep. You only *really* notice the nonsense "deaths behind cover" and 1 frame kills when you're the one getting killed. You're on the opposite side of it probably just as often without knowing it, and are the source of totally bogus potshot kills.
And it's true that although the better and more effective players end up on both sides of it, their scores typically reflect the difference between a player who is consistently good and one who is just on the lucky side of the lag.

Balance and gameplay issues highlight this even more, because that missing factor of "how will network lag screw this up?" is a moving target and impossible to balance for. Example:
Knifing from behind and getting countered wouldn't be an issue if the counter-knifing system wasn't as badly conceived as it is. This negatively affects the gameplay, because in situations where in BF3 you'd just perform a takedown, in BF4 you're probably safer just putting a few rounds in their back rather than risk that the knife animation will work properly. My melee ribbons :smith:

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Sandweed posted:

I keep getting killed by guys not even looking at me, I'm considering taking a break and waiting a few patches before trying this hot garbage again.

I love getting killed by dudes exorcist-style: feet facing away from me, their torso doing a 180° and wasting me and the silly little knife I'm holding.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

New thread title suggestions GO!

Battlefield 4: Second Break-fix

Rod Munch
Jul 17, 2001

I like kill trading since I have a sub 1.0 K/D ratio, so it's pretty much a win for me.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

A BIG loving BLUNT posted:

Not when you put in double that in previous Battlefield games for half the price.

I hope you realize that game company's can't create games and set their prices based on how many hours of entertainment YOU got out of previous installments. You are an insanely entitled and whiny person, wow

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

DatonKallandor posted:

Finally someone with some sense and an understanding of just how much poo poo BF4 has to send across the net. And no it's not "just like BF3 and that worked fine". BF4 sends a lot more data because now physics are synced too. That's a giant pile of stuff that they didn't have to care about in BF3.
There's so much bullshit on that chart that I barely know where to start, and this post is wrong too.

Most multiplayer games written in the past 15 years can send object updates at different rates or skip updates entirely. It's entirely possible and in fact common for user input commands to be processed at a higher rate than the rest of the world, but other clients will see those updates at a slower rate.

I have no idea what you mean by physics being "synced" but it's probably wrong. Destructible chunks only need to send a small state update when they're destroyed and those elaborate collapse sequences don't need to be sent as anything other than "it blew up." Almost nothing of the levelution gimmicks is actually physically simulated, it's just a prefab sequence being played, and anything that is physically simulated is cosmetic. Bodies are clearly not synced because they never position snap unless someone gets revived.

Objects that don't change (i.e. vehicles that are at rest) or update predictably (i.e. any unguided projectile) usually take up almost no bandwidth because the game can just send a "nothing changed" flag bit.

Bullets and small projectiles ("small" = small enough that you wouldn't notice if it clipped a corner, a.k.a. everything in this game) usually use point traces instead of solids, which basically means running cheap line tests the same way a hitscan weapon would, it's not some order-of-magnitude more expensive thing. It's peanuts compared to vehicles/players.

All of these techniques are extremely old. There is no evidence to support the idea that this game's bandwidth needs are any higher than, say, 64-player BF2. The processing load is much higher, but that's different.

SwitchbladeKult posted:

No. "Netcode" doesn't exist. It isn't a thing. Even if we take OneEightHundred's definition of what "netcode" is, it's so generic that it encompasses the entire game start to finish.
It's not any more generic than talking about "controls" and it's completely disingenuous to say people aren't complaining about some specific category of problems when they complain about "netcode."

At worst, it's a misnomer, because these kinds of things don't exist as some isolated system like sound, and the idea that it's all because of tickrate is wrong.

socialsecurity posted:

Players get upset about it because the game intuitively suggests that getting killed would make it impossible to return fire, yet it happens, and the distances are too short for it to be plausibly just a ballistics thing. This is pretty much the only thing that I do think is definitely tickrate related, because it gives a wider window for 2 players to fire shots that will be processed in the same frame.

There are probably technical reasons for it, but I think that it's annoying enough that players would probably be happier even if they did something completely hacky like just pick one player to be the loser at random.

canyoneer posted:

Knifing from behind and getting countered wouldn't be an issue if the counter-knifing system wasn't as badly conceived as it is. This negatively affects the gameplay, because in situations where in BF3 you'd just perform a takedown, in BF4 you're probably safer just putting a few rounds in their back rather than risk that the knife animation will work properly. My melee ribbons :smith:
I'm actually suspecting that counter-knifing was put in because of the networking issues. BF3 had an annoying bug where if you thought you were at a takedown angle but the server thought you were in front of them, you'd immediately abort the takedown on the client and get stuck with your knife out for the takedown animation time. Now they don't have to worry about that because you ALWAYS do a cinematic!

There are ways they could have fixed that (i.e. assume a swipe and interrupt it to the takedown if confirmed), but they'd probably look lovely. I'd rather have that than "press F to commit suicide" though.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 12, 2014

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Someguy posted:

edit: also look up irony in the dictionary for fucks sake

Make your posts less lovely asap

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I use a shotgun a lot in BF3/BF4, and I definitely notice something feels off in BF4. Very often a guy can run into a room, and I'll ADS and blast him from the side in an ambush. I will get the kill credit, but yet I still get to see him stop, turn, and shoot me several times after I've triggered my single attack event (that was a confirmed lethal shot) and end up sitting at 20 or 30 health. Sometimes he'll even manage to strafe left and right a couple of times despite the kill shot happening well in advance.

This happens even in relatively "perfect" ambushes where I've been watching a triangle on radar go up the steps to a warehouse door I'm already aiming at, or practically counting his steps after only seeing him on the approach -- no possible way for me to have made him more-dead, or faster, than my single lethal ambushing attack accomplished.

Given this circumstance I've seen so often, one can only imagine that if my one single, immediate, lethal trigger event had instead required a second follow-up bullet (and associated delays) such as the case of using any pistol/carbine/pdw/lmg/assault rifle, there's a drat good chance I would have just had a kill trade.

So, I can definitely understand that kill trading and apparent bullshit is happening for most players when I'm very nearly killtrading with one perfectly executed ambush-attack that still leaves an enemy able to respond. I've also seen dead EOD bots manage to continue maneuvering and attacking teammates for a short while -- that didn't happen in BF3. I'm also pretty good at shooting helicopters with tanks from BF3, and BF4 has way more "that didn't count" situations or situations where I will hit a helicopter that merrily flies away, only to have it explode for full multikill credit several seconds later.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
New thread title, "Battlefield 4: No rez for the wicked"

Also, had fun last night, even if I'm usually the weak link. Making the transition from hardcore takes a bit. Holding down C on Paracel Storm last night was great. Those dudes were pissed

Also, Someguy, are you still a huge loving little bird sperg like when you played BF3 on 360?

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

OneEightHundred posted:

All of these techniques are extremely old. There is no evidence to support the idea that this game's bandwidth needs are any higher than, say, 64-player BF2. The processing load is much higher, but that's different.
I agree with your post, but I was also reading a similar post about this that contained a quote from Alan Kurtz where he says (at the risk of incurring another massive spergout over the use of the word 'netcode'):

quote:

Finally, the biggest issue we have in battlefield is actually on net code. Without going into details, the amount of updates we need to send to support all the gameplay details would throttle most bandwidth connections if we sent every frame.
So I guess while he doesn't come out and say it, I assume he is inferring that BF4 is more bandwidth intensive then previous BF games? I'm not really sure because Dice devs can be sort of cryptic about this stuff. Doesn't really explain the low tick rate either but who knows.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts
I just played my best game to date, 26-3 with over 20 attack heli kills, server is down to 3 ticks...and then it crashed :dice:

Goddammit I'm so mad.

mexi
Mar 17, 2003

Time to call it a night.
I keep crashing in BF4 so I'm probably gonna wait it out until second assault.

Someguy posted:

Netcode is simply the term used for describing the part of the game that handles information between servers, clients and peers, it certainly is a 'thing', short hand for people that want to talk about a certain aspect or function of a game that involves multiplayer over the Internet. You're throwing a massive fit over some simple short hand terminology, and it's hilarious.

:ironicat:

Tell us more about impotent nerd rage.

edit vvv: yeah posting a couple videos about game's broken multiplayer sure does qualify, why don't you go back to recording LPs or some lovely podcast that no one will ever watch or care about you giant baby?

You are probably one of the worst posters in this thread.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

OneEightHundred posted:

There are ways they could have fixed that (i.e. assume a swipe and interrupt it to the takedown if confirmed), but they'd probably look lovely. I'd rather have that than "press F to commit suicide" though.

I think it would be more interesting if counter knifing launched into a quick time event. At least that way it wasn't "press F to suicide" and feel a bit realistic. I can see spinning a trained spec-ops dude around to stab him and him having the reflexes to fight me over the knife. Even if you die it doesn't feel like complete bullshit, just bullshit-light. As it is magically dying instantly when you got the drop on the enemy while it is playing the "you won" animation just really disheartening and makes me want to give up knifing all together.

To your other points, those are fair. I still think the term netcode is way too broad a term, if I conced that it is a term, to really point to and say "yes, this is the problem right here". That is like having a car with a bad rattle and going to a car mechanic and demanding her fix the powertrain. I also agree with you that some of the problems are related to tickrate but I still think the current setting it fine. Did anyone check my math on that, btw?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Chronojam posted:

Given this circumstance I've seen so often, one can only imagine that if my one single, immediate, lethal trigger event had instead required a second follow-up bullet (and associated delays) such as the case of using any pistol/carbine/pdw/lmg/assault rifle, there's a drat good chance I would have just had a kill trade.

This is my life with the ACR-W. Three bursts of 3-5 rounds each, and multiple hitmarkers on every burst, bzzrt, bzzrt, bzzrt, but the guy turns around and pops me. This means that you better keep firing until you either see them hit the ground or your gun is dry. Which sort of sucks.

I understand the technology is different, and it's not an apples to apples comparison, but the network play experience is degraded compared to much older multiplayer FPS titles.
I don't know or pretend to know the tech details of why that is or how to fix it, but as a user I can tell that, as Battlelog says, "something went wrong."

Battlefield 4: Nothin' but 'net(code) discussion

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Metro's out on consoles right? Did they add routes or was that just wishful thinking from us when we saw those elevators?

HamHawkes
Jan 25, 2014

DatonKallandor posted:

Metro's out on consoles right? Did they add routes or was that just wishful thinking from us when we saw those elevators?

Second Assault is out for XBONE only.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

DatonKallandor posted:

I think they did for TDM, but not for conquest :psyboom: :dice:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

DatonKallandor posted:

They've added two elevators (which I think open up facing the death room because DICE is good at level design) and a tiny narrow stairwell to the side opposite the long hallway. But, and this is the kicker, they close these off in on Conquest and then only open Rush or something because, again, good level design.

Riller
Jun 16, 2008
I made an emblem for our #Jihad4Obama campaign:

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Kibayasu posted:

They've added two elevators (which I think open up facing the death room because DICE is good at level design) and a tiny narrow stairwell to the side opposite the long hallway. But, and this is the kicker, they close these off in on Conquest and then only open Rush or something because, again, good level design.

My head hurts. That makes my head hurt.

It's been awhile for me, do we still have the invincible trees in China Rising and 1 foot walls that are impassable to mere mortals?

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...

Crow_Rodeo posted:

New thread title, "Battlefield 4: No rez for the wicked"

Also, had fun last night, even if I'm usually the weak link. Making the transition from hardcore takes a bit. Holding down C on Paracel Storm last night was great. Those dudes were pissed

Also, Someguy, are you still a huge loving little bird sperg like when you played BF3 on 360?

My 240 was having quite a bit of fun holding it. :black101:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Kibayasu posted:

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Who at DICE came up with that bullshit.
What's Metros Levolution? Closing off even more routes?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

OneEightHundred posted:

I'm actually suspecting that counter-knifing was put in because of the networking issues. BF3 had an annoying bug where if you thought you were at a takedown angle but the server thought you were in front of them, you'd immediately abort the takedown on the client and get stuck with your knife out for the takedown animation time. Now they don't have to worry about that because you ALWAYS do a cinematic!

Good post full of logic, I'm gonna focus on this part though - because there's a new bug or glitch or something where certain dudes can get lightning-fast uncounterable front knives that are over in 1/3 the time of all other positional animations! Seems totally legit!

Bring back west side story-style swiping, this mickey mouse cutscene poo poo will always be hot garbage.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

DatonKallandor posted:

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Who at DICE came up with that bullshit.

I bet it will be the same as the China Rising ones

Nothing :v:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Merica posted:

no it doesn't. I only have 11. I really would like to see how many I actually have. I should have 196. That's how many kills I have that aren't attributed to a gun/vehicle.

I should have over 500 already but loving :dice:

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I think its GRASS FIRES

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

DatonKallandor posted:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Nonsense. You can set some grass on fire and collapse a few supports!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

bringer posted:

I play a lot of domination in BF4 and I played a lot of Close Quarters in BF3. They both have the same problem of dying after you thought you made it to cover -- the BF3 thread was rife with complaints about it.

Yeah, as I recall people used to complain about this stuff in BF3 constantly. I think a lot of people have some serious rose coloured glasses on.

SwitchbladeKult posted:

New thread title suggestions GO!

Battlefield 4: Second Break-fix

I stand by Battlefield 4: PSH PSH PSH PSH PSH PSH PSH PSH

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kibayasu posted:

Pretty sure the elevators are in the same position they were in BF3, so they actually open to that covered pillar around C. Still easy to set ambush points around them, but it's not nearly as bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Kitty Burger posted:

My 240 was having quite a bit of fun holding it. :black101:

As much as I appreciate the advantages of the MG4, that gun is just rad.

On a related note, if anyone is tired of unlocking stuff on Locker I've found Guilin Peaks, or 'Circle Locker' as it is otherwise known, to be a ton of fun without the spamming at choke points.

• Locked thread