Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Sieversii

"It does not appear to be a plant, so my ability to converse is mostly empathic. It's in a great deal of pain at the moment"

She winces as she speaks, her eyes tightening.

"I could at best try to calm it, but even so it is unlikely to view us as much more than a meal, much less than allies. Better to let it go the way of it's nature than prolong it's suffering, and I doubt Uru'vi would let us keep a creature of such innate hostility in any case. Sometimes, you do what you must."

So saying, she finishes the great beast.

(coup de gras if appropriate/possible.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Round 3...
In the mountainous foothills...
Szandra...
Szandra makes a bolt for it, and deftly skirts around the crystalline entity and past its point of origin, moving herself closer towards the area into which Skullguy disappeared. Although she is not acutely aware of it, the cave entrance remains approximately four hundred and seventy feet from her current position. It can be reached by crossing various elements of difficult terrain, including steeply sloped rock hills: nothing particularly significant as an impediment, but the journey will prevent a mad dash and require some element of careful travel. Szandra notes, idly, that the beaded condensation on some of her exposed bones and robes appears to be dissolving with a fizzing sound.

Sieversii, Uru'vi, and Zoka...
Heedless of the crystalline entity, Sieversii approaches the suffering displacer beast in order to put it out of its misery. Balking at Zoka's suggestion of diplomacy or empathy, she begins to steel herself to give it a quick and final end, possibly with an arrow through the remainder of its brain, or perhaps with one of the many large rocks nearby.

pre:
It took Sieversii 60' of movement to go from D13 to C2.  
A coup de grace can occur next round if you still desire.
If so just post how you murder the beast and it shall be so.
Meanwhile, the crystalline entity begins to hover slightly higher into the air, ascending a further forty feet. It is presently shining like the beacon of a lighthouse in the otherwise open night air, almost certainly unmistakable for several miles. Thankfully, the mountains likely occlude its visibility to the north, east, and southeast, but that leaves about half of the cardinal directions exposed. In all likelihood, if it is allowed to remain in its current state, it is going to draw the attention of something.

Inside a cave...
The armored figure responds, "If it was a trick, it wasn't a very kind one. I don't think that was the case, but I suppose I am not a seer. Though, it doesn't matter. Absent proof to the contrary, I must assume my mission remains unfulfilled and still of vital importance to the priesthood. Returning the crown to them is all I would ask of you. If you can manage that, I will ally myself with you in payment, until such time as I can aid you in finding other treasures more befitting of your interests. Is it a deal?"

pre:
You're up:  Sieversii, Zoka, and Szandra.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Sieversii
Coup De Gras the beast on this action, I'll keep the old turn's flavor.

Anias posted:

Sieversii

"It does not appear to be a plant, so my ability to converse is mostly empathic. It's in a great deal of pain at the moment"

She winces as she speaks, her eyes tightening.

"I could at best try to calm it, but even so it is unlikely to view us as much more than a meal, much less than allies. Better to let it go the way of it's nature than prolong it's suffering, and I doubt Uru'vi would let us keep a creature of such innate hostility in any case. Sometimes, you do what you must."

So saying, she finishes the great beast.

(coup de gras if appropriate/possible.)

El Fappo
Dec 26, 2012
Skullguy

"Yeah I'll go find your crown. I've got to get my people settled into the island first, though. After we get secure I'll definitely look for the crown." Skullguy looks around the cave and sighs.

"I wonder why my lazy pals haven't come looking for me yet."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Szandra

Running!

Run east, if possible. Continue to run or double move depending on terrain/obstructions and paths, until a clear threat presents itself or Szandra reaches the cave. Running speed is 120' per round, and reduces Szandra's AC to 14. It should take 4-6 rounds depending on pathing, right? If forced into double moves, max of 8 rounds.
Also, can Szandra tell what the sizzling condensation means? Is it, like, acid sizzling eating away her bones or something?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Zoka

Seeing one of the likely instigators of this mysterious crystalline thing running away from it, Zoka decided to follow her lead. Besides, the other two were more interested in killing rather than conversing with the supposedly intelligent pack animal, so he didn't feel like still being here if another one, or more, of said pack showed up.

Moving quickly around the southern edge to the east side of the map.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Uru'vi

The unicorn lets the dead beast slide off her horn, rearing back and shaking her head as if to clean off the blood, and doing nothing of the sort, "How utterly disgusting, though you are correct that I would never allow a beast of evil to follow us, nor even consider speaking of it. My people are agitated enough by the evil we already must deal with." The floating crystal doesn't seem to bother her too greatly, she moves towards it briefly before heading southward away from it.

Moving to D;E/4;5 where the edges of protection against evil and the entity's auras mix, then as far toward D;E/11;12 as possible. Hopefully one of the more magically inclined will be able to tell what the auras hitting does, but she's not sticking around to find out for herself.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Round 4...
As the party decides on its course of action, the displacer beast slips deeper into the embrace of death, wheezing painfully through its punctured throat and undergoing a gruesome death rattle. The situation only worsens when Sieversii takes the initiative, sending it on its way to what probably passes for a merciful death in the jungle. The dryad manages not to get any noticeable amount of the creature's blood or gore on her hands as she does the deed, and in a few short moments the last remnants of life fade from the remaining eye of the mortally wounded panther. It is, perhaps, at peace.

Meanwhile, Zoka begins to pick his way carefully through the covering jungle fauna, keeping his movements quiet and his head hidden from the (presumed) view of the crystalline entity, as well as any other predators that might be lurking about the area. He slips deftly from the cover of the jungle trees, behind a large outcropping of rock, and then in between several similar rock formations as he slowly but surely makes his way east along a path similar to that being taken by Szandra.

pre:
Szandra analyzes the strange effect of the crystalline entity, achieving Knowledge Arcana (14)
Szandra has also moved approximately 60' to the east, off the map and (for the moment) out of combat.
Speaking of which, Szandra bolts off to the east in a manner much faster than most people might expect from a skeleton. Her initial velocity is quickly hampered by a mixture of uneven terrain, slippery footing, and being forced to use both hands and knees to physically climb (albeit an admittedly less-than-challenging forty-degree slope). Nonetheless, she quickly vanishes from the view of the rest of the party, winding around the rock formations that permeate the area. Taking advantage of the calm and fearless demeanor that only the living dead can truly master, as the skeleton runs she contemplates the nature of the effect she had been observing - being the sizzling condensation in the general vicinity, as well as on her own robes and bones. Although the exact merits of the effect escape her, and may require some further analysis or additional information, what is clear is that the condensation appears to be burning itself away without any apparent trace. It would require the detection of magic to confirm it, but going purely off visual and auditory cues, whatever effect - perhaps a transmutation of some kind - was occurring, absent the presence of the crystalline entity's light to sustain it, it doesn't appear to be able to continue to manifest itself.

As the skeleton fades from view, and the last dying breath of the displacer beast escapes its now-collapsed throat, Uru'vi begins to dedicate herself to more noble causes: such as galloping. Thoroughly covered in the blood and gore of the beast, particularly after her full-body shake to really seep the blood into her mane (and looking more and more like a nightmare with each passing moment, sans the smoking hooves), she briefly comes close towards the edge of the creature's pyrotechnic effect before changing course and dashing to the south to where Zoka and Sieversii had previously been keeping a low profile.

Inside a cave...
The armored creature appeared to be poised to respond, but suddenly began to melt away into nothingness. As, too, did the cave surrounding you, as well as all of its (admittedly uninspiring) adornments. As the magic of Skullguy's hex begins to fade away, he awakens to find himself face-first in the cave, with a decidedly content-sounding kitten laying on his back, and kneading his unarmored shoulder with its claws (although doing no real harm: in fact it is a mostly pleasant feeling for the scarred witch doctor). Your memories of your recent dream are fairly clear, although you are left wondering if any of it was true, or just the result of a possibly-malaria-induced, sleeping-enchantment-spiked fever-dream. A few things have changed since last you were awake in the area, not the least of which is the audible shine of a forty-foot-wide sphere of light that is elevated well above the jungle canopy to your west. You can also hear the mad scrambling of something headed towards the cave, though from your current position you are unable to see what it might be, or how far away it is for that matter. There is no apparent sign of your comrades, although you can hear the distinct galloping and whinnying of a quite-possibly-displeased unicorn in the distance to the west.

pre:
The crystalline entity continues to hover in mid-air, ascending an additional twenty feet.

Waador fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 13, 2014

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Szandra

Szandra maintains her moderately quick ascent up the hill towards where she's fairly sure the cave is, with silent determination.

Movin' on eastwardly.

El Fappo
Dec 26, 2012
Skullguy

Skullguy skulks 15 feet deeper into the cave and attempts to hide.

Stealth to hide in the cave: 1d20+3 14

Fantastic.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Inside the cave...
Szandra continues to make her way towards the cave, turning a blind eye to whatever chaos may or may not be happening behind her, between the rest of her group and the crystalline entity. The skeleton wizardess is approximately 400 feet, or just under 40 seconds, away from finally breaching the entrance of the cave into which Skullguy previously disappeared.

Meanwhile, Skullguy keeps close to the edges of the cave, skulking into the area a further fifteen feet, and getting some visibility to what lies beyond a narrow passageway that leads deeper into the cave. His darkvision reveals the area without significant difficulty, but what he sees is perhaps a little unnerving: just over fifty feet away, some kind of humanoid statue (with extended wings) has literally been nailed into the side of the cave wall, except that the nail appears to be a greatsword sized for a giant. Although you can't see the full length of the blade, given that it goes straight through the stomach of the statue (and seemingly quite a ways into the stone itself), the size of the hilt still protruding from the makeshift crucifix indicates that it would be difficult for even the strongest of orcs to wield this blade with both hands in an effective manner. The strength required to embed such a blade so thoroughly into a few feet of stone is also a few leagues above and beyond the norm.

Waador fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 15, 2014

El Fappo
Dec 26, 2012
Skullguy

Skullguy decides this is probably important, and carves a small reminder into his forearm. He tries to remember if this is some kind of magic thing.

Knowledge(arcana): 1d20+6 24

Then he hides and waits for whatever coward seeks to charge into this cave. Whatever it is, they're definitely looking for a fight.

El Fappo fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 16, 2014

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Uru'vi

Loud enough to be heard by both Zoka and Sieversii, Uru'vi speaks, "I would suggest making a retreat from this area. Those two can likely handle themselves, and I have no wish to stand around watching a potentially dangerous magical artifact that may harm us. If you'd like I would be open to allowing both of you to ride, though I would like to take a stop at some water so that more of those disgusting creatures cannot smell the blood and track us." No insults are had, because the two evil people aren't there to insult. The positively blood soaked unicorn looks between the dryad and the magical artifact.

Taking no action, or rather, taking a free talk action!

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Inside a cave...
Skullguy carves an important reminder into his forearm, drawing a little bit of blood which splatters to the floor of the cave in short order. His recollections of magical rites and other ancient mysteries do not reveal anything specific to the situation, although his general intellectual strength (at this particular moment in time) does suggest that it would be unusual for a statue to be able to be nailed into the wall of a cave without shattering, were it made of stone. That leaves the possibility that the winged statue was carved around the sword after it was embedded into the wall, or alternatively that the statue is made from something other than typical brittle stone. Putting that matter aside in his mind, however, he focuses on more pressing issues: readying himself for trouble, he awaits whatever menace is rushing towards the cave.

pre:
Given that Skullguy is merely lying in wait, Szandra can arrive at the cave in whatever manner she prefers.
Although you both have darkvision, given that he also has cover, it will be a DC 14 Perception check to notice Skullguy.

Meanwhile, for Skullguy and Szandra, it is a DC 20 Perception check to hear Uru'vi's shouted words from several hundred feet away.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

At a cave's entrance...
As the seconds tick by, the scrabbling gets closer... and closer... the sound of something clattering against stone, metal or rock or the claws of some dread insect, and before long, the foul beast arrives at the cave entrance!
It pauses at the entrance, savoring the feeling of a trapped orc, then pokes its head in to reveal... a skeleton!

!!!
pre:
Perception 12.
It creaks its head over, staring straight at the Skullguy's hiding place... then continues off to the side! It hasn't yet spotted him!
Ever so slowly, it creeps into the entrance area of the cave, slowly rotating, scanning the area. Then, it resumes its hunt, creeping forward into the cave, then stops in front of the pierced statue thing, confused, and creeps forward again, examining it closer.

pre:
Knowledge (arcana?) 22.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Inside a cave...
As Szandra steps deeper and deeper into the cave, oblivious to the presence of Skullguy, the strange and macabre display of the statue nailed to the wall with a greatsword inevitably catches her eye. Moving closer to investigate it in greater detail, she is perhaps a little surprised to find similar displays occurring all throughout the cave, with two nearly-identical statues pinned through their throats to the northeast, claws extended and faces contorted in what you can only imagine is intended to convey an immense pain. Similarly, to the south, yet another display of similar bent presents itself, this time with the hilt of the blade cleanly through the forehead of the statue.

As with Skullguy's own ill-fated recollection of arcane mysteries and traditions, your training in the area of arcana does not reveal the exact nature of what is going on here. However, also similar to Skullguy, Szandra knows full well that it should have been impossible to nail a statue to a wall with a greatsword without shattering it into a thousand pieces, particularly when doing so through such thin aspects of the carved stone as the throat or the head. It is possible that these creatures were something more sinister - stone golems, perhaps, who could be resilient enough to damage to withstand such an impaling - but their form doesn't quite align with what the skeleton knows of such creatures. Particularly, the statues are lithe and well-defined, and have thin and fragile-looking wings, neither of which is the norm for a golem, as such fine details are difficult to maintain in a construct built for war.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Szandra

Muttering quietly to itself, the skeleton stares at the statues. Has it... has it lost track of its quarry? The time must be ripe for Skullguy to escape!

Detecting some magic on these statues.

El Fappo
Dec 26, 2012
Skullguy

Skullguy leaps out from the darkness. "Skeleton! You're just in time! I found a ghost in here and he said something about treasure and a god's crown! We need to find it!"

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Inside a cave...
Szandra's analysis does not reveal any magic inherent in the statues, nor within the blades, nor within the general vicinity of the area. With the exception, of course, of herself and Skullguy who are both lit up with various enchanted gear and natural enchantments. The young displacer beast perched upon Skullguy's shoulder, as well, is glowing with the telltale light of a transmutation magic.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Szandra

Szandra slowly turns around. She would probably blink or something if she had eyes. Or eyelids.

"We need to leave, now. Your spell appears to have set off a defense system. It may be a beacon. Hopefully the others are already on their way and not intending to try to fight whatever's coming."

If Skullguy agrees, Szandra heads off south. Or whatever direction the rest of the camp is in. South, right?

El Fappo
Dec 26, 2012
Skullguy

"Ugh, fine. Just help me remember where this cave is later. These statues would go great in front of a throne."

Skullguy follows Szandra.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Zoka

Having no real desire to be anywhere near the loud, obnoxious, and arrogant unicorn, especially when it was covered with the blood of a creature that apparently lived in packs and likely had a good sense of smell, Zoka continued in the direction of the cave. Sure, the orc was loud and obnoxious, but that was still one less. The fact that the Uru'vi also wasn't particularly subtle in the slightest and had just loudly announced his presence to everything nearby also contributed to Zoka's decision. Who knows, maybe the shouting would draw the crystal in that direction?

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Szandra and Skullguy leave the cave on her sound advice. As they begin to make their way down the slope, in short order they come upon Zoka - or, at least, Zoka comes upon them. The three are able to interact as their free will demands.

Meanwhile, Uru'vi and Sieversii are several hundred feet away, debating their own course of action. The crystalline entity continues its flight some eighty feet in the sky, seemingly not doing much of anything at the moment.

Waador fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 17, 2014

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Szandra

Szandra waves Zoka over.
"What is the horse doing? And the dryad? Please tell me they are heading back to camp."

El Fappo
Dec 26, 2012
Skullguy

"What the heck were you guys up to while I napped?"

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Szandra

"An adult of the species of that kitten you took approached and attacked. The horse slew it with her horn. The defenses represented by that symbol reacted to you casting a spell of sleep, attacked me with the same, and I believe is now acting as a beacon."
She points at the big glowy thing.

"As I said before, we should leave immediately."

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Uru'vi

At Zoka's continued silence, Uru'vi glances at the Dryad before trotting farther away from the crystalline entity.

Moving off the map, through A12

El Fappo
Dec 26, 2012
Skullguy

"Yeah sometimes that'll happen. Lead the way, my necrotized friend.'

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Zoka

Slipping out of the shadows next to Skullguy, Zoka responded quietly. "Uru'vi was saying something about leaving you two here on your own and heading back to camp. Frankly, I wasn't particularly listening other than to note that he was shouting, and thus announcing his position to everything nearby, and covered with the blood of an intelligent pack creature. Having no desire to be anywhere in the vicinity of a loud individual that glows to anyone with magesight and leaves a massive scent trail, I continued on my way. No idea what Sieversii is doing, other than to note that she put down that beast."

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Sieversii

She waves once to the others, then sets off after the unicorn.

"We should slow down a bit and let them catch up. It's not right to abandon our companions, even if you dislike them."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Szandra

"Hopefully the horse will use her superior speed to find a spring or river to wash off the scent without slowing us overall. We do not have to travel as one."

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Uru'vi

"We need to find a river of some sort so I may at least get most of this digusting liquid off of me. I have no intention on abandoning them, however reaching such a cave would be quite a task, and it is better to be rid of the scent of death before they decide to head back, as I am certain if the skeleton and orc arrive without me, my brethren will fear they have done something horrible, but I am also loathe to ask them to wait." She trots slow enough for Sieversii to stay caught up, as she sniffed the air.

1d20+12: 16 [1d20=4 to find a river to wash off in.

Not sure if this should be Survival or Perception, but they have the same exact modifier so who cares!

El Fappo
Dec 26, 2012
Skullguy

"So is that magic thing still a threat? I could blow it up or something probably."

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
In the jungle, the mighty jungle...
It does not take Uru'vi very long at all to find a stream to wash up in. In fact, as she may recall, she followed a stream inland for quite a ways to arrive at this point (as it intersected where the tribes had previously made camp). Given her innate ability to follow the scents of others, and the fact that none of her companions are doing much to hide their trail at this point in time, it will also not be difficult for Uru'vi to find her way back to them if she is so inclined.

Elsewhere...
Meanwhile, Skullguy, Zoka, and Szandra are enjoying a healthy conversation about the merits of companions. The crystalline entity continues to hover nearly a hundred feet in the air, several hundred more feet away from the group by ground, giving off a readily visible glow that is all-too-similar to a lighthouse. It is not clear exactly what it is doing, but it is very obvious that eventually, in the dark night that you are currently in, something or someone is going to notice the magical flare lighting up the sky. Whether or not anyone comes to investigate is anybody's guess though.

Concurrently, Skullguy's new pet leaps onto his shoulder again, perching there and purring as it gazes at Szandra and Zoka. The displacer kitten gives Skullguy's ear an affectionate headbutt.

pre:
Not sure if you folks intend to meet up back in the mountain area or not, or elsewhere, or do your own things.
For the moment you're free to play out whichever direction you want to take it, as nothing is overtly attacking you.

El Fappo
Dec 26, 2012
Skullguy gazes towards the crystalline entity, then towards Szandra. "That's the thing you were so worried about?" he asks, "It's just a magical torch with a levitation spell on it. It's not a big deal. I'm pretty sure there was treasure in that cave, too. This whole day has been one huge disappointment. Should we just go back to camp and forget anything stupid ever happened (besides me, of course)?"

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Sieversii
As she helps wash the unicorn.

"I wasn't expecting to find this new world quite so." She pauses a moment.

"So messy. I'm worried that our people have found their own difficulties, and even if the orc is headstrong we should not abandon him."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Szandra

"It's a big levitating torch that someone's going to see. Dangerous people are coming to investigate and they will hurt us. We need to leave so that don't find us. Come on."

With a very mild huff, Szandra turns and starts off towards the camp, not particularly concerned with meeting up with the horse again.

El Fappo
Dec 26, 2012
Skullguy

"Yeah good point." Skullguy is going to follow Szandra, because the skeleton seems to have everything figured out.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Uru'vi

Washing the disgusting blood off seemed to put the unicorn into a much better mood, "Despite my own opinions on it, and likely those of my people, the orc and his tribe will likely prove useful, if only as a distraction. This land is clearly not one I can be too picky about who we work with in." A huff of indignation. "I could likely find the orc's... odor, if you would like. He is sorely in need of a bath. Or we could head to camp, they will likely meet us there."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Sieversii

"Let's try to meet them. I'd prefer to tend while we may."

So saying, she follows Uru'vi towards the rest of the group.

• Locked thread