Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rinkles posted:

When I heard about how long the system transfer takes and how much of the data would be useless on a new drive, I decided to just use a USB stick to copy save files (of course, some aren't transferable for security/trophy reasons or whatever). What's stupid is you need a separate stick for each user (if they have any save overlaps), because it doesn't make a directory for each user.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Don't forget you can transfer saves to the PS+ cloud, including protected ones (although you have to wait 24 hours to redownload them). Trophies will "transfer" if you sync them before and after the HD transfer, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

univbee posted:

Don't forget you can transfer saves to the PS+ cloud, including protected ones (although you have to wait 24 hours to redownload them). Trophies will "transfer" if you sync them before and after the HD transfer, as well.
You sure? Last time I tried I think Saints Row 3 or something else with protection, it would not let me cloud save. Also, cloud backups only work for the user with PS+, unfortunately (not really surprising).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rinkles posted:

You sure? Last time I tried I think Saints Row 3 or something else with protection, it would not let me cloud save. Also, cloud backups only work for the user with PS+, unfortunately (not really surprising).

Given your specific use case scenario you might be better served doing a full backup to a USB drive and restoring that to the new drive.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
As a general suggestion for everyone, because of the various issues over the years, it's extremely likely that your gameshare accounts had a password change pushed on them. In many instances people have no reason to go back to them so they may need you to provide a new password to keep them going. In addition, I don't think Sony tracks old passwords so I was able to change a gameshare passwod and then change it back to the original password. It won't work if you used a more lax password than the new rules support (I think at one time you could use six digit passwords and I don't think that flies anymore).

If you swap a hard drive, you'll likely need to get into the account to refresh the activation and may run into this issue. So it's not a bad idea to go through your gameshares and do any admin if necessary.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

univbee posted:

Given your specific use case scenario you might be better served doing a full backup to a USB drive and restoring that to the new drive.

I didn't want to go through the hassle of specially formatting a drive to FAT32 just for the transfer. I don't have any with nothing on them.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

khy posted:

Fan loving tastic, thank you!

Now I just need to decide what size to get.

Get a 1 TB drive. I paid the equivalent of $78 US, and having installed all my PS+ loot I'm currently sitting here with just 120 GB of free space.

When I eventually get a PS4, I'll be doing a day one HDD upgrade. Having all the stuff sitting there ready to play is the best thing.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Foursquare Vita app has been pulled from PSN and won't get any more updates. Remember Foursquare? Me neither!

I think that is the first Vita thing pulled from PSN.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
The Facebook app got pulled back when it had a big ol' exploit, but I think it came back a month or so later.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I'd actually recommend to everyone with PS+ to use cloud saves wherever possible. Or for those who don't, just have a USB stick or drive nearby and just once a month or so backup all saves.

My HDD died a couple of years back and there are some games I've never picked up again since I'd have to start all over :smith:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Funfact: An old Afrika save file with 2-3 hours of gameplay was almost half a gig big (not game data). I didn't even take that many photos. No idea why it was so large.

You get a gig of cloud space per console type (PS3/4/Vita).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Rinkles posted:

Funfact: An old Afrika save file with 2-3 hours of gameplay was almost half a gig big (not game data). I didn't even take that many photos. No idea why it was so large.

Is it possible that the game installs the high resoluction unlockable photos and videos onto the hard drive so that they can load up faster?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Is it possible that the game installs the high resoluction unlockable photos and videos onto the hard drive so that they can load up faster?

Idk, but that would typically go under game data not a regular save.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Did that game ever get a PSN release? I like digital copies of everything and I figure my kid would like that game. I was going to get her Tokyo Jungle but that seems too violent and animal fucky for a child.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
No digital release sadly.

Upon further research, it seems like the save file is that big because besides storing the entire world state, it will also store the world state for every checkpoint you pass. Beat the game to relive being yelled at because you didn't photograph that giraffe just as it was starting to drink.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Feb 12, 2014

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Ariza posted:

Did that game ever get a PSN release? I like digital copies of everything and I figure my kid would like that game. I was going to get her Tokyo Jungle but that seems too violent and animal fucky for a child.

Nope, don't think so.

Neo Rasa posted:

Upon further research, it seems like the save file is that big because besides storing the entire world state, it will also store the world state for every checkpoint you pass.

Smart.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Ariza posted:

How old is she? Tokyo Jungle is literally animals just doing animal things. I'd recommend it as a game for children, it's a good chance for them to ask questions about how nature works. You'll see nothing in it worse than in a teatime wildlife documentary.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Parkingtigers posted:

How old is she? Tokyo Jungle is literally animals just doing animal things. I'd recommend it as a game for children, it's a good chance for them to ask questions about how nature works. You'll see nothing in it worse than in a teatime wildlife documentary.

Even the breeding aspect is pretty tame. Just hearts appear, the screen blacks out, and now you have a horde of Pomeranian puppies.

Warning though, this game may make her want a Pomeranian.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Ineffiable posted:

Even the breeding aspect is pretty tame. Just hearts appear, the screen blacks out, and now you have a horde of Pomeranian puppies.

Warning though, this game may make her want a Pomeranian.

For whatever reason I thought I saw a gif that was a dog furiously humping another dog and that stuck in my head. Those two games (and The Last of Us) were the main reasons I finally bought a PS3. She dug Viva Pinata but she doesn't like not being able to control the animals directly, so I'm hoping Tokyo Jungle fills that niche.

edit - looks like Best of PSN Vol. 1 is the way to go. I wanted to try Fat Princess too.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone received their free Skullgirls voucher yet?

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
Any indications on if Thief will get a digital release in the US on Feb 25th?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

he1ixx posted:

There's basically zero chance of it not getting a digital release. The only games that don't now are ones with extremely bizarre circumstances (e.g. Skylanders because it comes with hardware you need), I think last year only two games didn't have digital releases (Kingdom Hearts HD remix because it's Kingdom Hearts, and Beyond: Two Souls I think because some kind of weird distribution agreement).

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

he1ixx posted:

Probability of it getting one is extremely likely. Sony has been pushing for digital for a lot of PS3 (and PS4 releases, besides that one skylanders game) digital releases.

edit: wow, same time posts. Yeah, Kingdom Hearts was most likely because of Disney, and Beyond... is David Cage.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
Haha Nice timing. Ok That's what I was hoping to hear. The graphics on the PS4 version look unreal but I am not taking the PS4 plunge for quite a while.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

he1ixx posted:

Haha Nice timing. Ok That's what I was hoping to hear. The graphics on the PS4 version look unreal but I am not taking the PS4 plunge for quite a while.

Just to clarify, buying the PS3 version generally doesn't give you access to the PS4 version (or a discounted price on it) if that's what you're thinking of accomplishing.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

univbee posted:

Just to clarify, buying the PS3 version generally doesn't give you access to the PS4 version (or a discounted price on it) if that's what you're thinking of accomplishing.

No that's not my thought. I'm just trying put off buying a PS4 as long as I can.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
EU notes

As previously noted, the PS4 Headset app is released. Only other thing of note for PS4 folk is The Lego Movie Videogame (£44.99/€59.99) is releasing in Friday on some territories.

PS3 news, and the headliner is that someone in Tecmo Koei realised they were sitting on a pile of money: :siren: Persona 3 FES (£7.99/€9.99) is finally available in the EU PSN. :siren:

Full game releases: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy Whatever (£39.99/€59.99) from Friday, Far Cry 1 (£7.99/€9.99) and Lego Movie Videogame (£39.99/€49.99) from Friday in some territories. Demos this week are Far Cry 1, Castlevania LoS 2 and Oddworld Strangers Wrath

On the DLC front: Last of Us gets Left Behind (£11.99/€14.99), Borderlands 2 has a Wedding Day Massacre (£1.99/€2.49), while Rocksmith 2 has a bunch of Kiss songs (£2.39/€2.99 each, £6.49/€7.99 for the pack) and the usual batch of LittleBigPlanet and Disgaea D2 gubbins.

Vita side: as far as Sony is concerned, Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (£34.99/€39.99) is coming out on PSN this Friday. If that doesn't happen, headliner is TxK (£5.49/€6.99), which is :pcgaming:: The Game.

Full games also coming out: Lego Movie Videogame (£5.49/€6.99) from Friday in some territories, and Toukiden (£29.99/€39.99)

Vita DLC: aforementioned LittleBigPlanet stuff.

Mobile: Creatures and & Castles VX (£3.19/€3.99), MathTest (£0.99/€1.29)

Sales: The Bureau £24.99/€29.99, XCOM: Enemy Unknown £9.59/€12.79 until 26th, Do Not Fall £3.19/€3.99, Doodle Devil £2.01/€2.51 until 19th. With the exception of XCOM Enemy Unknown, all of these also has a 10% extra discount for PS+ folk.

Price Drops: Ni No Kuni (£15.99/€19.99), Tales of Graces f (regular edition £19.99/€29.99, special edition £34.99/€44.99) and Tales of Xillia (regular edition £29.99/€39.99, special edition £39.99/€49.99).

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

I just posted this in the Steam Game Trading thread, but I thought I might post it here as well--

I'll be getting a Skullgirls Encore voucher at some point, and I'm interested in trading that straight across for the Steam version of Skullgirls. Given that the DLC is currently free on PSN, I think that's a pretty decent deal. Anyone interested in that trade, give me a shout.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I started exploring the Hong Kong PSN store a bit, if any of you are thinking of getting Japanese games it may be worth getting them from that store instead, some stuff seems significantly cheaper (Yakuza 1+2 HD is free on HK PSN and is like $15 cheaper to buy), wallet-topping codes for it seem cheaper (it's closer to "cost" than doing the same with Japanese PSN cards), and they would have English support if you needed it. It also has a VitaTV-compatible section of the store with English games (as well as Chinese, Korean and Japanese), which seems to be where the compatible English games come from.

I think that only games on the HK PSN store's Vita TV section have a chance of working (you'll need to be signed out from non-HK PSN accounts in your browser for this link to work):

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-hk/ps-vita-tv-compatible/cid=STORE-MSF86012-PSVITATV

There's also this link from Asia's Playstation.com that updates the compatibility list (scroll down): http://asia.playstation.com/hk/en/psvitatv

Note that some games have working Japanese/Chinese versions but the English versions don't work (like Ys in English definitely doesn't work even though the Japanese one does).

Here's the complete list of non-Japanese games as it stands now (you would need physical copies or to buy it from the HK PSN store):

Akiba's Trip 2 (Chinese/Korean)
Atelier Totori Plus: The Apprentice of Arland (download only, so you'd have to buy this from the HK store)
Blazblue Continuum Shift Extend (I suspect this is the Asian version only)
Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (Chinese/Japanese)
Dead or Alive 5 Plus (I suspect this is the Asian version only)
Dragon's Crown (English, confirmed working)
Dragon's Crown (Chinese/Korean)
F1 2011
Lumines Electronic Symphony (comments online suggest the US version works)
Motorstorm RC
Muramasa Rebirth (confirmed working)
Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus 2 (I suspect this is the Asian version only)
One Piece Kaizoku Musou (Chinese)
Persona 4 Golden (English, confirmed working)
Persona 4 Golden (Chinese/Korean)
Puzzle by Nikoli V (there are a few of these in English, download-only from HK)
Ragnarok Odyssey (I suspect this is the Asian version only, there's a free demo that works on the HK store)
Ratchet & Clank: QForce
Rayman Origins
SHIN DYNASTY WARRIORS:GUNDAM + Additional Mobile Suit 「BEARGGUY」 (Chinese)
Soul Sacrifice (Chinese/Korean, it's unlikely the English version will work)
Sudoku by Nikoli V (download-only from HK)
TORO's Friendly Network (download-only from HK)
Toukiden (Chinese; it's unlikely the English version will work)
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
Valhalla Knights 3
When Vikings Attack (download-only from HK)
Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate (Chinese)

Given that nothing recent works with it, I would assume this is how the list is going to stay for English games unless Sony actually officializes an English release of the device.

So don't get one unless you plan on playing Japanese games or really, really want to play one of the above games (like if you want to stream Persona 4 Golden or something).

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:

axleblaze posted:

Has anyone received their free Skullgirls voucher yet?

Still waiting myself.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Yechezkel posted:

Foursquare Vita app has been pulled from PSN and won't get any more updates. Remember Foursquare? Me neither!

I think that is the first Vita thing pulled from PSN.

It's likely because very few people have a 3G Vita (where foursquare would be used the most) and it was likely costing Foursquare too much money to maintain a vita app. Everyone has a smartphone, anyway, so anyone who uses foursquare would likely just use that :v:

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the update, Delusibeta. It looks like most of the releases are coming this Friday.

One important thing to add: The sale for The Last of Us was bumped up from next week to this week. Sale prices are £19.99/€29.99/AU$39.95 with the usual 10% PS+ additional discount. The sale on that ends next week.

Delusibeta posted:

PS3 news, and the headliner is that someone in Tecmo Koei realised they were sitting on a pile of money: :siren: Persona 3 FES (£7.99/€9.99) is finally available in the EU PSN. :siren:
Atlus USA published it on PSN, not Tecmo Koei. So, maybe no money for TK.

NA region:
The PS2 Classic Neo Contra was found on the latest ratings for ESRB.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Feb 13, 2014

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Yechezkel posted:

:eng101: Atlus USA published it, not Tecmo Koei. So, no money for TK.

Their logo is still in the bootup, unless they put the US version on the store. But even so that was likely just a "Hey mind if we do this" sorta deal.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
It is the NA version. From the listing:

quote:

This title is a North American Import. Game content is available in English only and requires a 60hz compatible display.
But I didn't know Tecmo Koei published the European version until now. :psyduck: What an odd pairing of developer and publisher.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah, Tecmo Koei did a lot of EU publishing for Atlus and NISA in the mid-late PS2 era. Soul Nomad, Disgaea 2, Persona 3/FES.. then Persona 4 was Square Enix and P3P was Ghostlight and ugh what a loving mess.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Square Enix published Atlus games!? :psyboom:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Yechezkel posted:

Atlus have had no European publishing presence at all (not even digital) until just recently, so they bascially threw their games at whatever company would handle an EU release. Unfortunately, this often meant Ghostlight, who gave us crippled, poorly tested 50hz versions of their games with slower gameplay and audio that desynched.

Atlus almost singlehandedly ensured that the PS2 era was almost as bad as the PS1 era for Europe when it came to RPGs.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

Yechezkel posted:

Yeah my copy of Persona 4 PS2 has a Square Enix logo on boot.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Got my Skullgirls code.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

...! posted:

Got my Skullgirls code.

Oooh, so did I. 'Bout time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Dominic White posted:

Unfortunately, this often meant Ghostlight, who gave us crippled, poorly tested 50hz versions of their games with slower gameplay and audio that desynched.

Ugh, loving DDS1's audio sync was so bad. Serph/Varna would do his battle end roar and a second later the SFX would play for it. Thankfully DDS2 was synced properly and had a 60Hz mode..

• Locked thread