Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

lessthankyle posted:

Yeah, I'll throw it in there.

Also, just ran a quick table of wand damages. I kinda wish they made the Magic Missle wand a little more useful, it's kind of pathetic.

drat. I had no idea. Guess that's going to be a gimmick run pretty soon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Is restarting the game if you don't have decent gear by the time you reach Goo a good idea? I've been doing this the past couple of days not finding anything better than mail armor and a spear so I'm getting pretty bored.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

nexus6 posted:

Is restarting the game if you don't have decent gear by the time you reach Goo a good idea? I've been doing this the past couple of days not finding anything better than mail armor and a spear so I'm getting pretty bored.

As long as I find at least some sort of armor upgrade, even leather, I try to take on the Goo. Since skeletons have a chance to drop weapons your chances of getting a good weapon in the next area are much better. Just try not to waste your upgrade scrolls until you get something really good.

Celvin
Jan 5, 2006

Let me enlighten you...

the littlest prince posted:

drat. I had no idea. Guess that's going to be a gimmick run pretty soon!

I've finished two games with a +9 and +10 wand of firebolt. It's fun! The wand of disintegration seems like fun too, but they are quite rare to come by early. Had a +8 wand of lightning in another game, but it was pretty much worthless.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Seravadon posted:

As long as I find at least some sort of armor upgrade, even leather, I try to take on the Goo. Since skeletons have a chance to drop weapons your chances of getting a good weapon in the next area are much better. Just try not to waste your upgrade scrolls until you get something really good.

I kept my upgrade scrolls and just got plate armor +3 from the ghost :-)

MegaCharger
Jul 12, 2006
Animate

nexus6 posted:

I restart if I don't find a good armor and/or weapon that I can conceivably use by goo by level 2. It's not worth the frustration of trying to punch sewer crabs with your lovely default gear.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Seravadon posted:

To second this, it seems like the drop rate for weapons from Skeletons is quite high, and they're not very dangerous so farming for a weapon is very do-able.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Finally did it, thanks for the tips guys. I used my wand of blink to avoid the fists but their ranged attack does a poo poo load of damage, plate armor doesnt seem to help the warrior defend against magic. Luckily the eye was right next to a corner so I got an earthroot down and was surrounded so the fist could only do physical attacks. Then it was simply a case of chipping away at the eye's health and replanting an earthroot once it wore off. Now to try the other classes out.

By the way, what happens if you decide to keep playing?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is there a way to tell what the weapon enchantments do? I have a battle Axe with an unstable enchantment but no idea what it does.

Also, does upgrading weapon/armor boost its damage and defense? Or just lowers its str requirements?

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

m.hache posted:

Is there a way to tell what the weapon enchantments do? I have a battle Axe with an unstable enchantment but no idea what it does.

Also, does upgrading weapon/armor boost its damage and defense? Or just lowers its str requirements?

If you have a question about PD, check the Pixel Dungeon wiki! It is basically required reading, though you don't need to start there. Most of the mechanics you can discover on your own, and you might enjoy it more that way. Play a few games until you realize you have a question about game mechanics and don't feel like experimenting to find the answer, then go check there to see if there's an answer.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
If what you meant was, "is there an in-game way to learn what an enchantment does," the answer is no; you're expected to figure our what an unfamiliar effect is through experimentation. Some are more obvious than others.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

My first run that I made it past Goo I got all the way to the Dwarven Ruins or whatever. I had a tricked out knuckleduster and a +5 Plate Armor with Metabolism on it but still ended up burning to death :(

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
I've got a Warlock ready to go into level 22. 20 healing potions, +9 longsword, +8 scale converted to robes, 2 wands of slow, 3 magic mapping scrolls.

I've never made it past 23 before. What should I look out for/ how will I die?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Jorath posted:

I've got a Warlock ready to go into level 22. 20 healing potions, +9 longsword, +8 scale converted to robes, 2 wands of slow, 3 magic mapping scrolls.

I've never made it past 23 before. What should I look out for/ how will I die?
The evil eyes are motherfuckers and they're your number one priority to murder. They will consistently do 16-18 damage to you per hit. You can use potions of mind vision to pick the best path and potions of invisibility to get around the shittier monsters or to ambush them. The scorpions can be bad too, just make sure you're always adjacent to them or behind a door. If you can get them in a room with only one door you can kill them without taking any damage. There's a torch on every floor and you'll always want to have one active (or a potion of mind vision) so you don't get jumped, I hope you bought both in the shop! The maximum level you can get from killing monsters is 26. If you hang out long enough to reach that, drink any experience potions you've saved up. I always explore the halls fully and max out my level, but you don't need to.

Final boss tips:
Use toxic gas and invisibility potions to kill/severely damage the hands. The red hand has a ranged attack, so keep a pillar between you and it. When you run out of those, plant an earthroot in water and stand on that while you kill the hands. After that, the eye is no problem. Some people say to skip the hands and just fight the eye but that was a lot harder for me.

Celvin
Jan 5, 2006

Let me enlighten you...

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

The evil eyes are motherfuckers and they're your number one priority to murder. They will consistently do 16-18 damage to you per hit. You can use potions of mind vision to pick the best path and potions of invisibility to get around the shittier monsters or to ambush them. The scorpions can be bad too, just make sure you're always adjacent to them or behind a door. If you can get them in a room with only one door you can kill them without taking any damage. There's a torch on every floor and you'll always want to have one active (or a potion of mind vision) so you don't get jumped, I hope you bought both in the shop! The maximum level you can get from killing monsters is 26. If you hang out long enough to reach that, drink any experience potions you've saved up. I always explore the halls fully and max out my level, but you don't need to.

Final boss tips:
Use toxic gas and invisibility potions to kill/severely damage the hands. The red hand has a ranged attack, so keep a pillar between you and it. When you run out of those, plant an earthroot in water and stand on that while you kill the hands. After that, the eye is no problem. Some people say to skip the hands and just fight the eye but that was a lot harder for me.

It depends on where the eye is positioned, really. Here's a tip: You need to lure the hands away from the eye. While invisible, the hands will walk aimlessly around giving you the chanche to face the eye alone for a little while. If you position yourself in a corner, you can use the larvas that spawn as a "shield" to avoid both ranged attacks and stop the hands from closing in on you in hand-to-hand combat.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Celvin posted:

It depends on where the eye is positioned, really. Here's a tip: You need to lure the hands away from the eye. While invisible, the hands will walk aimlessly around giving you the chanche to face the eye alone for a little while. If you position yourself in a corner, you can use the larvas that spawn as a "shield" to avoid both ranged attacks and stop the hands from closing in on you in hand-to-hand combat.
I did that once, but I really didn't like being surrounded by the larvae and taking a potentially large amount of damage from them each turn. Killing the hands first feels a lot safer to me.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

Finally got my first mage win today(in scale mail with a glaive, very mage like). Now all I have left is the Huntress...

What's the best class for her? Sniper or Warden? And is it worth buffing her boomerang or should I just do what I do with the other classes and get really good armor and the best weapon I can and go to town?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Seravadon posted:

What's the best class for her? Sniper or Warden? And is it worth buffing her boomerang or should I just do what I do with the other classes and get really good armor and the best weapon I can and go to town?
I only did it once and that was with the Sniper. It doesn't tell you this, but the Sniper also attacks faster with ranged weapons. I bumped up the boomerang to +8 and used it even when in melee range. It probably helped that the last quest gave me a +4 ring of accuracy but I was doing fine before that, too. Open doors by throwing things (not the boomerang) at them and then hit enemies from far away. A slowing wand or wand of blink will also help you keep your distance.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Finally got the rogue to DM300 and I could not kill him. He chewed through 8 potions and I just kept on missing him with my +5 War Hammer.

Am I missing something?

EDIT: Read some tips on the wiki. I'll have to try out some of the tips next time I get there.

m.hache fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 10, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I only did it once and that was with the Sniper. It doesn't tell you this, but the Sniper also attacks faster with ranged weapons. I bumped up the boomerang to +8 and used it even when in melee range. It probably helped that the last quest gave me a +4 ring of accuracy but I was doing fine before that, too. Open doors by throwing things (not the boomerang) at them and then hit enemies from far away. A slowing wand or wand of blink will also help you keep your distance.

A Sniper with a high level Ring of Haste is loving nuts.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

precision posted:

A Sniper with a high level Ring of Haste is loving nuts.

Yeah, it's just too bad that the boomerang is the only viable ranged weapon unless you want to farm shurikens or something off skeletons for a week. This game could use some bows.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
He needs to do something about the ranged weapon situation. Even the highest-tier ones do awful damage. I think it would be nice if there was a chance of them not disappearing on a successful hit (maybe a significantly higher chance of that if you're a Huntress).

MegaCharger
Jul 12, 2006
Animate

Seravadon posted:

Finally got my first mage win today(in scale mail with a glaive, very mage like). Now all I have left is the Huntress...

I did it once with warden. Basically played her like any other melee character, didn't bother with boomerange at all. But you are only at 75% HP at level 1 so the first few levels are incredibly tough. However you trade that in for a poo poo ton of seeds, I mean a poo poo ton of them, there is even a decent chance of you getting a seed when you step on a plant that you just planted. I've gotten sungrass from an earthroot plant and vice versa. Be sure to buy that seed pouch. Aside from that you just want good weapon/armor, stock up on health potions, and hope for the best.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
Thanks for the tips. Turns out that the final boss is much easier than the Demon Halls. I only drank 1 potion while battling him, while the halls took 3. I was hoping that there would be some prize for taking the amulet to the exit, but no.

The Warlock is a bit too powerful- you can farm enemies and actually gain health + satiety with good gear.

Now onto the Rogue...

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Jorath posted:

The Warlock is a bit too powerful- you can farm enemies and actually gain health + satiety with good gear.
For the record, the warlock's ability only works if he gains experience for killing a monster, so you can't hang around forever and do this.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

For the record, the warlock's ability only works if he gains experience for killing a monster, so you can't hang around forever and do this.

Did not know that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Lost a Battlemage with a +7 Wand of Disintegration and +5 Scale Armor to DM300. Burned through all my resources, still got steamrolled. I officially think that boss is bullshit. :mad:

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

precision posted:

Lost a Battlemage with a +7 Wand of Disintegration and +5 Scale Armor to DM300. Burned through all my resources, still got steamrolled. I officially think that boss is bullshit. :mad:

You're doing something wrong, I think I've only died to that boss once

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

andrew smash posted:

You're doing something wrong, I think I've only died to that boss once

I just didn't really have much, I think I only had 3 Healing Potions, no Earthroot, no real tricks.

However I did literally just now beat him with an Assassin without taking a single hit - I think Stunning weapons may be broken, because the proc rate for them seems to be 100% or very close to it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Anyone ever get a game where the blacksmith just isn't there? It's happened to me twice now. I'm pretty sure I've searched everywhere he could be. I've got two plate armors for him to combine :mad:

Also this game I owned the poo poo out of the Goo without getting hit once. I could hit him through the door and he never came towards me.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Anyone ever get a game where the blacksmith just isn't there?

Yeah that happened to me a while back. Considering his reward is pretty lovely I'm not too annoyed.

On a completely unrelated note, watabou may be changing level layouts in a future update, so that they're not square-ish any more. He posted about it on facebook and there was a lot of reasonable criticism about changing food droprates, hidden rooms, and such to compensate. Much more level-headed comments than I would have expected on facebook.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

Was there a change made to armor? The ghost gave me plate armor on floor two on my last run through so I thought I was set. got to floor three and put on the armor to take on a crab... and it was still doing 4-5 damage to me. I looked at the armor description which said it should be absorbing 15 damage but also noticed a line I never saw before. "Your low strength reduces the defensive effectiveness of this armor." Something similar to that.

Is popping on heavy armor for a fight no longer a valid strategy? :ohdear:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Seravadon posted:

Was there a change made to armor? The ghost gave me plate armor on floor two on my last run through so I thought I was set. got to floor three and put on the armor to take on a crab... and it was still doing 4-5 damage to me. I looked at the armor description which said it should be absorbing 15 damage but also noticed a line I never saw before. "Your low strength reduces the defensive effectiveness of this armor." Something similar to that.

Is popping on heavy armor for a fight no longer a valid strategy? :ohdear:

Dunno, but they did nerf plate armor (and buff scale armor) in the last patch.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I got plate armor +3 on level 2 and battle Axe +2 from the ghost. Then I accidentally equipped a cursed spear and slowly got widdled down to death by crabs. So annoyed. That was setting up to be a perfect run.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm at least trying to get past the Tengu with the mage so I can get the skill book. I am not very good at this.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

On a completely unrelated note, watabou may be changing level layouts in a future update, so that they're not square-ish any more. He posted about it on facebook and there was a lot of reasonable criticism about changing food droprates, hidden rooms, and such to compensate. Much more level-headed comments than I would have expected on facebook.
I think non-square layouts would be interesting. Food is my biggest pain point currently so I would hope that it is something that he definitely takes into consideration with how much more wandering will be required.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

m.hache posted:

I got plate armor +3 on level 2 and battle Axe +2 from the ghost. Then I accidentally equipped a cursed spear and slowly got widdled down to death by crabs. So annoyed. That was setting up to be a perfect run.

I had a perfect run going last night. Plate +5 by level 11 or 12, and a battle axe. But for some reason, I'd only found maybe 3 health potions the entire run, and I was still killed off easily by poisons and fires.

There is no perfect run.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Cruseydr posted:

I think non-square layouts would be interesting. Food is my biggest pain point currently so I would hope that it is something that he definitely takes into consideration with how much more wandering will be required.
Food used to be a big deal for me and then at some point I figured something out and it doesn't seem to matter. I frequently have 5+ food in my inventory later in the game. I think I just figured out how to play better in general and that more than made up for the small amount of damage that starving causes.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Food used to be a big deal for me and then at some point I figured something out and it doesn't seem to matter. I frequently have 5+ food in my inventory later in the game. I think I just figured out how to play better in general and that more than made up for the small amount of damage that starving causes.

In my experience once you beat the Goo food really doesn't matter. IT's those first few levels that food is a killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
I got passed boss 3 for the first time ever only to die to dwarven fighters like I was nothing. Do they have wicked high armor or something? My +6 Warhammer that used to flatten everything was just dinking off of them.

• Locked thread