Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

knowonecanknow posted:

Got a question I'm hoping to get resolved. If I play a Gray Merchant of Asphodel is there any way for my opponent to block the damage done by the card as it enters the battlefield, can you cast an instant against it before it finishes "entering the battlefield"?

Yes. The effect of Gary Merchant checks your devotion upon resolution, so while the ability is on the stack if your opponent can remove the permanents that contribute to devotion to black, the damage from Grey Merchant would be 0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

knowonecanknow posted:

Got a question I'm hoping to get resolved. If I play a Gray Merchant of Asphodel is there any way for my opponent to block the damage done by the card as it enters the battlefield, can you cast an instant against it before it finishes "entering the battlefield"?

Gray Merchant of Asphodel enters the battlefield. The "When this enters the battlefield..." ability triggers and is put on the stack. Before the ability is resolved, your opponent will have an opportunity to cast instants, for example to remove some creature with black mana symbols from the battlefield (even the Gray Merchant itself). The devotion is checked only when you resolve the ability from the stack.

Edit: If you mean to ask, is there a way of preventing the ETB ability from triggering, you would have to have something like Torpor Orb on the field for it. Or Humility I guess.

Lunsku fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 13, 2014

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

knowonecanknow posted:

Total devotion is checked once gary enters the battlefield. If gary gets ultimate priced while the trigger is on the stack and you have no other devotion to black the trigger then resolves and drains for zero.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

knowonecanknow posted:

Quicken -> Planar Cleansing? If you're looking for something like Fog for life loss, no, I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

knowonecanknow posted:

Cyclonic Rift will effectively counter (most of) the ability:

1) Cast Grey Merchant
2) Response: Rift Overloaded
3) Grey Merchant resolves, sees a total of BB on the board (himself)
4) Drains for 2 instead of lethal.

You can also (if this is outside of standard) use Voidslime or Stifle to counter the ability

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
^^^ why would you not just respond to the Merchant's ability like others have been saying

suicidesteve posted:

Quicken -> Planar Cleansing? If you're looking for something like Fog for life loss, no, I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist.

An instant saying 'You can't lose life this turn. (Damage causes loss of life.)' would be interesting design space that as far as I'm aware hasn't been explored yet, like you said. They'd probably need a reminder about not being able to pay life either.

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago

suicidesteve posted:

I really want to know what happened to Mana Crypt. I got one 3 1/2 weeks ago for $120 and a week and a half later it jumped to $250.

Okay, I'm glad this isn't just me. I posted about it about a week back and the response was "EDH/Cube!", which is fair, but doesn't explain a jump like that, EDH and cube have been big for a while now, and it's price was essentially flat over that time. It is a card with a limited supply, but I don't see how it doubling in price isn't someone taking a run at buying them up.

Of course, foil Rishadan Port is $500 now, so Magic prices always find a new way to shoot up even more.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

JerryLee posted:

An instant saying 'You can't lose life this turn. (Damage causes loss of life.)' would be interesting design space that as far as I'm aware hasn't been explored yet, like you said. They'd probably need a reminder about not being able to pay life either.

Edit: Oops, misread.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

JerryLee posted:

^^^ why would you not just respond to the Merchant's ability like others have been saying
So that he doesn't have it in hand to play last after replaying everything else?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

So that he doesn't have it in hand to play last after replaying everything else?

Ahh, yeah, that's a pretty good idea if leaving the Merchant on the board for a turn isn't going to mess with your plans in other ways. Good call.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

JerryLee posted:

The only similar effect that I can find (obviously not standard) is the static ability of Platinum Emperion.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Entropic posted:

Vintage Masters is MTGO only and 99% Conspiracy will be a paper-only product since they're coming out at around the same time and because MTGO coders are stressed out enough as it is.

I don't think Conspiracy will be on Magic Online. Maybe someday but not now. Wizards never released Archenemy on Magic Online.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
What if they only program the "beta" client for the new set? This would allow them to get more people to use v4.

efb beaten

knowonecanknow posted:

If you cast Grey Merchant on an empty field(no black pips) and it dies before the etb ability resolves, then nothing happens. If you have something out, then it only counts those pips.

Korak fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 13, 2014

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Kabanaw posted:

...Yeah, that! I forgot Cryptic Command was in the set. It's worth more than it's ever been now.

I ordered one off a tcgplayer vendor over a week ago and it still hasn't shipped. The vendor is not responding to my messages about the order's status. I've already escalated the issue to tcgplayer and the order will probably end up canceled and I'll get a refund.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the same card pop up the day after cancellation and it be listed at the new higher price.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Korak posted:

What if they only program the "beta" client for the new set? This would allow them to get more people to use v4.

efb beaten
If you cast Grey Merchant on an empty field(no black pips) and it dies before the etb ability resolves, then nothing happens. If you have something out, then it only counts those pips.

This was always counter intuitive to me... Lets say my opponent plays a Gary and I Hero's downfall it, shouldn't it's ETB ability take place as it has to be on the battlefield in order to be a valid target for the downfall?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

mcmagic posted:

This was always counter intuitive to me... Lets say my opponent plays a Gary and I Hero's downfall it, shouldn't it's ETB ability take place as it has to be on the battlefield in order to be a valid target for the downfall?

The effect goes on the stack when the creature enters the battlefield. Once it's on the stack it will resolve whether the creature is on the battlefield or not, barring effects like Stifle or Trickbind.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

mcmagic posted:

Like everything else, that ability uses the stack, and responding to it means your ability or spell resolves first. The drain life ability will still trigger, but if there's nothing on the battlefield, you have no devotion to black to speak of.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Oh mtgo, you so crazy.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Bugsy posted:

Oh mtgo, you so crazy.

hahaha why did this happen?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Bread Set Jettison posted:

hahaha why did this happen?

The last round of the draft started, Nummy had the high life total and the prompt showed up to set his life total. I don't know if it crashed on him or he closed it but it dropped him from the event and marked the game at 0-2-1.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

JerryLee posted:

"Target player's life total can't change this turn." would be neat, I think.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

vOv posted:

"Target player's life total can't change this turn." would be neat, I think.

Angel's Grace is pretty close.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Applebees posted:

I don't think Conspiracy will be on Magic Online. Maybe someday but not now. Wizards never released Archenemy on Magic Online.

I think this'll be paper only as well, mainly to be the closest thing to a cube as we're going to see. I want to be wrong, though, I want there to be a cube standalone.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Mtgo suckage part 2.

Thats a really small goyf.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar
Kinda late to the party, but does anyone have a link to more info on the goon brew of breakfast burrito? I did some google searches and came up with the basic strategy of the deck, and winning turn 1 looks like a lot of fun. I saw a couple builds that cost less than $150, could be fun to just have sitting around.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

jhorphear posted:

Kinda late to the party, but does anyone have a link to more info on the goon brew of breakfast burrito? I did some google searches and came up with the basic strategy of the deck, and winning turn 1 looks like a lot of fun. I saw a couple builds that cost less than $150, could be fun to just have sitting around.

Here's the old one, which I think is the best because of the Mimeoplasm kill.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar

Boxn posted:

Here's the old one, which I think is the best because of the Mimeoplasm kill.

Thanks!, that's one of the builds I found earlier. I think this deck would be great for multiplayer. I enjoy pissing people off more than anything in multiplayer, and killing them before they even get to draw sounds divine.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

jhorphear posted:

Thanks!, that's one of the builds I found earlier. I think this deck would be great for multiplayer. I enjoy pissing people off more than anything in multiplayer, and killing them before they even get to draw sounds divine.

I have this one as well. If I recall this was from January.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Dunno if MURDERGOATS chat is discouraged here, but I threw the deck together on MTGO and its just ridiculously fun, and the synergy just makes for great moments.

Highlights so far:

Very first game, making 15+ tokens by like turn 5 because I had Pyromancer out and kept winning the Molten Birth coin toss.

Crashing a MODO game because I cast Akroan Horse after Purphoros and the game poo poo its pants.

Coming back against a white weenie deck with a 6/6 Phalanx Leader who sac'd a Heliod Ordeal and was at 36 life when I started the come back.

Just a really loving hilarious and fun deck, I love you guys haha.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Loving Life Partner posted:

Dunno if MURDERGOATS chat is discouraged here, but I threw the deck together on MTGO and its just ridiculously fun, and the synergy just makes for great moments.

Highlights so far:

Very first game, making 15+ tokens by like turn 5 because I had Pyromancer out and kept winning the Molten Birth coin toss.

Crashing a MODO game because I cast Akroan Horse after Purphoros and the game poo poo its pants.

Coming back against a white weenie deck with a 6/6 Phalanx Leader who sac'd a Heliod Ordeal and was at 36 life when I started the come back.

Played my GB deck in tourney practice against a guy with murdergoats and I wanted to tear my face off once he assembled multiple Trading Posts up + recurring Ratchet Bomb for days.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
It's a shame murdergoats in the same standard as Thoughtseize, you really need your decks to be hyper-redundant to get through it.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

quote:

Worth Wollpert #mtgworth 1h
We are aware of the gameplay issues on #MTGO right now. We are rolling the game servers, should be back to normal in <60m. (cont)

If your game is in a bad state, it's not recoverable at this point. Please file for reimbursement. M. Redcap should function normally now.

By gameplay issues I mean the reports of 32k life, Thoughtseize hanging games, etc. No downtime coming, should be back to normal in <60m.

To note: Additional games may still hang over the next 60m, but we should be clear of it all by 2pm Pacific

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I can't even get angry at stupid MTGO bugs now, it's just become sort of adorable.

:supaburn:"We broke everything, players start with 32,000 life and commonly played cards crash the game!"
:3: oh, modo, you so crazy

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
I guess now isn't the best time to start playing that burn deck I've been planning...

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

CountFosco posted:

I guess now isn't the best time to start playing that burn deck I've been planning...

True story, couple friends were playing a casual game, one idiot gets off an infinite life combo, I helpfully explain that he does need to pick a number. Guy settles on 69,000,000 (because inside we're all still 13).

Opponent shrugs, declines to concede when asked, then untaps, plays Malignus, swings and connects for 34,500,000 damage, then Flings Malignus for the win.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Loving Life Partner posted:

That's awesome LLP. :3: Even if the deck never gets piloted to a GP 1st or w/e, the fact that most people consistently have fun with it is the best. EDIT: Just curious, but did you use my list or your own brew? TIA!

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Played my GB deck in tourney practice against a guy with murdergoats and I wanted to tear my face off once he assembled multiple Trading Posts up + recurring Ratchet Bomb for days.

Yeah, Ratchet Bomb really gives the deck the ability to answer to things it couldn't before, like Illness in the Ranks/Pithing Needle (for Tymaret/Trading Post)/Chained to the Rocks, Detention Sphere/Unflinching Courage, and even opposing tokens like those from Advent of the Wurm.

Were you playing this game on MTGO or in a store? I'm impressed that it's spread enough to have goons run into it.

Chorocojo posted:

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

That seems odd, I wonder if-

quote:

:stare:

bhsman fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 14, 2014

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Tharizdun posted:

True story, couple friends were playing a casual game, one idiot gets off an infinite life combo, I helpfully explain that he does need to pick a number. Guy settles on 69,000,000 (because inside we're all still 13).

Opponent shrugs, declines to concede when asked, then untaps, plays Malignus, swings and connects for 34,500,000 damage, then Flings Malignus for the win.

Wait unless someone else had 69 million health, that doesn't sound like it would work as Malignus' power and toughness would instantaneously be reduced after combat damage. Assuming that nobody else had that much health the fling would only deal 17,250,000 damage and leave him at 17,250,000. Should have played magister sphinx (or sorin markov -3, etc)

kirtar fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 14, 2014

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

kirtar posted:

Wait unless someone else had 69 million health, that doesn't sound like it would work as Malignus' power and toughness would instantaneously be reduced after combat damage. Assuming that nobody else had that much health the fling would only deal 17,250,000 damage and leave him at 17,250,000. Should have played magister sphinx (or sorin markov -3, etc)

Maybe "casual game" means they houseruled combat damage on the stack back in? :v:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Kabanaw posted:

...Yeah, that! I forgot Cryptic Command was in the set. It's worth more than it's ever been now.

Modern Masters was basically fifty/fifty in lowering prices. Alot of the uncommons (kitchen finks, path to exile, lightning helix) prices dramatically moved down, a few rares (bridge from below being a big example) went down, alot of rares stayed the same, but I think all the non-dragon mythics went up.

Honestly, if they don't print fetches this year, there are a few cards they could print in m15 and not wrap things. I don't think Tarmagoyf would wrap the environment that much right now without fetches because there are so few ways to get cards in the graveyard, unless you play BUG, which, if they keep the mana denial going, would be hard to do.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Bridge from Below getting better art and a cheaper price was awesome.

• Locked thread