Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I like the idea of carrying the helo mines and a smaw, so I can actively hunt tanks, but still contribute to antiair efforts without walking around staring at the sky like a dipshit

SRAW can do both if you are pro :getin:

I am not pro with the SRAW though so I like your idea :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bring back the Carl Gustav and remove lock-on weapons

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

A BIG loving BLUNT posted:

Anyone else getting the sound loop bug crash since the patch has dropped? I'm getting it pretty consistently again.

Yep I got it on and off most of tonight, very frustrating. I foolishly thought Dice had actually learned from a previous mistake and corrected a problem permanently.

antman
Nov 1, 2011
Yea i got the sound loop to crash bug for the first time tonight.
Sick patch.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

Could somebody explain what Titan mode is?

I will describe it as it was in 2142, it's anyone's guess as to how DICE adapts it this time around.

Each team starts with a Titan. This is a large flying base that can move around (as ordered by the Commander), you can spawn there and use rocket pods to reach nearby locations, or hop into the air vehicles that spawn there. Each team would also have an uncap with ground vehicle spawns and Commander assets (which don't exist in BF4).

Instead of flags, there are missile silos around the map (always 5 I think). When captured by a team, the silo will periodically shoot anti-Titan missiles at the enemy Titan. Each Titan has shields surrounding the ship that will absorb the first bunch of missiles, but will eventually fail. Once the shields are down, the enemy team can land on the back of the Titan (via aircraft or rocket pods that shot out of IFVs or their own Titan), and try to destroy it from the inside. To do this you would need to destroy 4 consoles and then a central reactor core. Since this process is very rapid if unopposed, a team needs to defend, though this can be done effectively with just a single squad. At the same time, the silos will still be firing missiles. If the shields are down, missiles will wear down the Titan's armor (this armor is shared with the central core health, so damage from either is additive). So a ground game is important as well. Thus, a team will be trying to do three things at once: capture and hold flagssilos, defend their own Titan if it's shields fail, and attack the enemy Titan if it's shields fail. A team will generally only be particularly successful at two of these tasks.

A team wins when the enemy Titan is destroyed. However, the match would continue for another minute or so, which would give any body on the destroyed Titan to have a sweet escape run from the ship, and parachute to safety (or more typically, to be gunned down by other people who parachuted off faster than you).

All in all, Titan mode was amazing. The only thing I've ever enjoyed more than Conquest Large.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 14, 2014

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yea but instead of this craziness, they can bring back Below Radar for the attack heli.

While the most reasonable and simple solution, Dice's official stance that it's too 'frustrating' for the lock-on users, and there are still people whining that they are 'invincible fortresses' or whatever so don't expect much.

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

Could somebody explain what Titan mode is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x9m58Vol1c - Official 2142 Titan tutorial

Someguy fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 14, 2014

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

PittTheElder posted:

Genuine question: assuming there's anybody in this thread that thinks lock-on MANPADS are overpowered or broken in some way, to the point where they should be removed, what exactly would you replace them with to provide ground-to-air firepower.
Assault rifle, LMG, Sniper, and DMR rounds capable of penetrating the copper and doing mild structural damage and significant personnel damage. I want to shoot a chopper's propeller center with my Scar as it flies past building I'm standing on, and watch the whole thing crash to pieces. :getin:

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Titan mode would have sucked and been terrible if not for one thing you failed to mention. The Titans had these super man-cannons that shot men out of the sides of them in these badass pod things that had like 300 meters of range and near perfect control for precision drops. You could spawn in the Titan and launch yourself to literally anywhere in the map within seconds.

Of course the Titans were laggy as all hell so most servers made it so that the Titans couldn't move (which greatly reduced the lag). This however was super boring as the Titans were always tucked away in corners of the map so if you wanted to attack them you needed to drive to the opposite side of the map far from any base to get onto them. And the man launcher was much less fun if you could only reach one base with it.

What I'm trying to say is that Titan mode should have kicked rear end but the refractor engine was outdated trash that shouldn't have been used after Battlefield Vietnam. Frostbite's pretty legit though so maybe this carrier thing will be cool. And 2142 had the series's worst map design while BF4 probably has the best so that's another point toward being optimistic.

Also DICE really needs to make another game in the 2142 setting.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
If you throw down an ammo pack will it stay there until someone blows it up or does it disappear after a certain amount of time or resupplies? And if you throw one down somewhere hidden then switch classes will it stay?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Even the into movie does a surprisingly good job of illustrating it, while reminding people why 2142 was amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk4wEAO07hM

The only thing that's really inaccurate about that video is the Titan boarding sequence; there should have been about a thousand grenades being thrown about, and 6 turrets that could see you through walls firing continuously.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Titan mode would have sucked and been terrible if not for one thing you failed to mention. The Titans had these super man-cannons that shot men out of the sides of them in these badass pod things that had like 300 meters of range and near perfect control for precision drops. You could spawn in the Titan and launch yourself to literally anywhere in the map within seconds.

Of course the Titans were laggy as all hell so most servers made it so that the Titans couldn't move (which greatly reduced the lag). This however was super boring as the Titans were always tucked away in corners of the map so if you wanted to attack them you needed to drive to the opposite side of the map far from any base to get onto them. And the man launcher was much less fun if you could only reach one base with it.

True story, the pods made the mode, although it sucks that people started using them to transport themselves everywhere on the map almost immediately (the infamous pod surfing for anyone not in the know). You could even hit people with them as you landed, and they made loving with roof wookies extraordinary easy.

And the Titans themselves weren't laggy as hell, it was only a problem when some idiot would park himself in the AA gun and fire at the enemy perma-shield for no reason.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 14, 2014

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

PittTheElder posted:

Even the into movie does a surprisingly good job of illustrating it, while reminding people why 2142 was amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk4wEAO07hM

The only thing that's really inaccurate about that video is the Titan boarding sequence; there should have been about a thousand grenades being thrown about, and 6 turrets that could see you through walls firing continuously.

You mentioned before how the Titans in 2142 had to be locked into stationary positions on most servers because they caused too much lag, I wonder if BF4 could handle moving carriers around the map? It probably wouldn't change much and I'm sure the carriers will be locked in place, but it's sort of a neat idea I guess. I'm reminded of 1942 and moving the carriers around while all the planes tried to take off and watching them lag into the control tower for some reason.

edit: oops, DoctorStrangelove mentioned lagging titans

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I love that intro movie so much.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

If a sraw rocket exploded mid flight if I unscoped or left clicked or w/e that would be the best. I would give up the stiglas for that.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

2143 where are you :(

I guess Battlefront 3 is the closest we will get.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was about to pop in here and ask if anyone heard about the reintroduction of Titan Mode, but I can't very well do that if the latest post is talking about it!

I've not played BF since 2142. Been playing DUST 514 and it's basically 2142, minus the boarding of the "Titans." Is there any footage of Titan/Aircraft Carrier mode? If it's basically a reskin of 2142's battle mode, I might just pick up BF4.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!
It was literally announced 12 hours ago so there's nothing online regarding the new mode in the paid DLC.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Someguy posted:

You mentioned before how the Titans in 2142 had to be locked into stationary positions on most servers because they caused too much lag, I wonder if BF4 could handle moving carriers around the map? It probably wouldn't change much and I'm sure the carriers will be locked in place, but it's sort of a neat idea I guess. I'm reminded of 1942 and moving the carriers around while all the planes tried to take off and watching them lag into the control tower for some reason.

edit: oops, DoctorStrangelove mentioned lagging titans

It would depend on the maps, but I sort of doubt they'll be moving. There's both the obvious programming advantage to that, plus the thematic bit where you'd never see two carriers effectively crashed into each other.

And to anyone who thinks fighting over two carriers that have mashed into each other sounds cool, I agree, but based on how 2142 played out, you would be playing that every single map. Plus Titan movement worked really well because they could fly over the land, and I can't imagine they'll build 5 different versions of Paracel Storm for us to move carriers on. Although it might be kind of cool if there was only one Paracel type map where they could move, and sail right into one another.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

It would depend on the maps, but I sort of doubt they'll be moving. There's both the obvious programming advantage to that, plus the thematic bit where you'd never see two carriers effectively crashed into each other.

And to anyone who thinks fighting over two carriers that have mashed into each other sounds cool, I agree, but based on how 2142 played out, you would be playing that every single map. Plus Titan movement worked really well because they could fly over the land, and I can't imagine they'll build 5 different versions of Paracel Storm for us to move carriers on. Although it might be kind of cool if there was only one Paracel type map where they could move, and sail right into one another.

It also helped that the Titans had the 6 or whatever giant gently caress-off cannons on their bottom side. I wonder if the carriers will have several player controlled AA guns (instead of the unreliable AI controlled ones currently) or something similar.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Honestly I do feel for dice. Trying to balance the game for all it's different users must be like being a plate spinner just constantly running around.

The drum I always bang is that it all comes back too balance. That is where they should be trying to invest more resources.

I imagine some sort of PUG system for people that are bored with pubbing but isn't just the sort of infantry only domination style thing which currently exists (although I've never used it).

I realise that is probably far too complicated but some thing along those lines. You would obviously need willing participants (like goons) who would to use mumble and stick to their roles etc.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Jippa posted:

Honestly I do feel for dice. Trying to balance the game for all it's different users must be like being a plate spinner just constantly running around.

Assuming that DICE actually feels this is true, the answer is pretty simple: you have to loving cut stuff. Jets: Gone. Scout Choppers: Gone. MANPADS: removed or seriously toned down. Game: Mostly Fixed.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Assuming that DICE actually feels this is true, the answer is pretty simple: you have to loving cut stuff. Jets: Gone. Scout Choppers: Gone. MANPADS: removed or seriously toned down. Game: Mostly Fixed.

Ah come on dude, I'm an infantry guy as well but that isn't the answer.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Jippa posted:

Ah come on dude, I'm an infantry guy as well but that isn't the answer.

That's basically 2142 in a box. And I loved every bit of it. I wouldn't really mind if they went back.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Well you can hardly blame DICE for not alienating a huge portion of the player base while at the same time cutting out poo poo that represents money that they put into the project that got the thing produced in the first place.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

I'm sure there's a way to balance jets and scout choppers without removing them. Come to think of it, I don't think DICE has ever properly balanced jets in any Battlefield game. They're either useless or sky lords.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Space Jam posted:

Come to think of it, I don't think DICE has ever properly balanced jets in any Battlefield game. They're either useless or sky lords.
Or not there, and in that game we got air assets that were both useful and not overpowered. At the same time! Amazing.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Make all small arms weapons damage helicopters. Problem (mostly) solved. They are not armored vehicles.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Balancing jets would be pretty easy if they just expanded the number of ways to deal with them. Expecting them to be balanced when MANPADS were supposed to be the main countermeasure was pointless because they fly so far away from the action that it's virtually impossible to make MANPADS able to hit them at all without making the entire battlefield a shut-down zone.

Give maps plenty of boats, AA vehicles, and stationary AA emplacements, and they'd probably work in a perfectly reasonable way: Dependent on ground forces to keep the other team's AA options under control.

Then give choppers better countermeasures and make mounted turrets chew them up like BF2, there, air problem mostly solved.

And scout chopper balance was pretty much fine in BF3, compared to the AH. They made up for their lower firepower with a lot more maneuverability and effectiveness against infantry. The only reason they're a problem now is because passenger repairs are the dumbest poo poo ever.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Haha, they're not going to "cut" anything out of the game at this point. What's in the current maps will stay there, but that's not to say they don't have control over what vehicles they end up featuring in future expansions. For example, I'm sure some of you must have noticed that there's not a single attack jet in china rising.

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I'm talking about the fact the one hit from a MANPAD is certain doom for an AH even if that one hit doesn't kill it.

This isn't really true at all. It' correct that the attack heli has an unfortunate habit of flipping over, but it's hardly every hit, and in my experience usually from active radar missiles. I've recovered and landed several mobility hit AH's that have been hit by MANPAD's, so they're not certain death, just very dangerous.

If you wanted to balance the AH, I would perhaps look at its mobility.
Part of the reason for the little bird's survivability is its ability to quickly gtfo, whereas the Attack Helicopter takes all the time in the world to slowly meander in the general direction you're trying to go. I'd try upping the acceleration on the attack heli a bit, see if that didn't help. Maybe give it a few seconds shorter recovery time for its flares. Obviously, removing the bug where the helicopter suddenly flips at 45' would also go a long way.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Fallom posted:

Bring back the Carl Gustav and remove lock-on weapons

The SMAW is like the little bro of our King Carl. I think I've destroyed more air vehicles with it than anything else. Fast rocket with little to no drop. I love how sometimes I'm running in the open, with no cover and a little bird pilot comes straight for me thinking "100 more points" but nope he gets a rocket directly in his face. My first platinum in BC2 was with the Hot Carl and that paid off, if only other players playing support dropped more ammo, because I'm close to get 20 support stars as the only and true ammo bot (in heavy infantry maps I run with indirect fire perk for extra ammo box and XM25 ammo).

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

DoctorStrangelove posted:

What I'm trying to say is that Titan mode should have kicked rear end but the refractor engine was outdated trash that shouldn't have been used after Battlefield Vietnam. Frostbite's pretty legit though so maybe this carrier thing will be cool. And 2142 had the series's worst map design while BF4 probably has the best so that's another point toward being optimistic.

Also DICE really needs to make another game in the 2142 setting.

Man, I loved Titan mode. It kind of offset the weakness of the map design by having multiple things you could do to win, and not forcing you into the meatgrinder. If it turned into a stalemate, you could go around capping the missile launchers, or even pod to the back of your own titan and flank the attackers.

I think they fixed part of the lagginess of the titans by having them stop when the shield went down.

Hopefully we'll get a 2142 sequel, but it hinges on EA not for DICE make another reiteration of modern combat a la BF2 to compete with COD, so fat chance.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Bohemian Nights posted:

If you wanted to balance the AH, I would perhaps look at its mobility.
Part of the reason for the little bird's survivability is its ability to quickly gtfo, whereas the Attack Helicopter takes all the time in the world to slowly meander in the general direction you're trying to go. I'd try upping the acceleration on the attack heli a bit, see if that didn't help. Maybe give it a few seconds shorter recovery time for its flares. Obviously, removing the bug where the helicopter suddenly flips at 45' would also go a long way.

Another possibility could be to reintroduce gunner flares, or some other sort of countermeasure. Maybe something similar to the MAV EMP that requires the gunner to locate the missiles to shoot them down.

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010
Welp, looks like my run of good luck is over. Still haven't experienced a crash, but now I have infuriating rubberbanding.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Okay, I have been using the U-100 a bit and can confirm that I don't get any LMG ribbons, ever, it's not just the M249. Who do I complain to about that? From looking at the support center, it seems EA/:dice: are roundly ignoring people with the same problem. What a weird bug.

Also, I suspect that the headshot icon was just added to placate those complaining about hit registration. Pretty much every time I get killed now is by headshot and even crashing a chopper at the test range shows it. :dice: is clearly going by the infinite codemonkey theorem to make their games.

Edit: Okay, something is just totally broken. I have 67 AR kills, 61 LMG kills and 25 melee kills, yet no ribbons for either. I also have 68 carbine kills, but only 1 ribbon.

Chatted with customer support person, told me to post in the forums. Oh well, at least I got a 15% Origin discount out of it.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Feb 14, 2014

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
This may seem pedantic, but you know you have to get 8 kills with an LMG within the same round to get a ribbon, right?

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Unless he's jumping between classes like an energizer bunny or literally only gets 5 kills per round or something I kinda doubt that's the issue

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

SplitSoul posted:

Edit: Okay, something is just totally broken. I have 67 AR kills, 61 LMG kills and 25 melee kills, yet no ribbons for either. I also have 68 carbine kills, but only 1 ribbon.

Echoing "In a round, not total".

I have lately been grinding weapon battle packs, and it can be surprising how many kills out of your round total end up being grenade/pistol or SRAW kills or whatever without you realizing you had changed weapons so much. I found that nearly a third of my kills can be me finishing a guy off with my pistol and not remembering afterwards.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Okay, that makes a lot more sense, but I still shouldn't have zero. And how the hell I got 36 handgun ribbons is a mystery, if so.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

SplitSoul posted:

Okay, that makes a lot more sense, but I still shouldn't have zero. And how the hell I got 36 handgun ribbons is a mystery, if so.

You might consider looking through your battle reports, see what your most used weapon in a given round was. Sounds like you might be finishing fools off with a pistol more than you think.

It's like dota, only the last hit counts!

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

I'd argue with you, but after having a blast on a no air vehicle server, I have to say that air vehicles don't add fun to the game for anyone but the 25-2 jet pilots and the 30-1 LB spergs.
You can have the transports and attack choppers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Ilustforponydeath posted:

I'd argue with you, but after having a blast on a no air vehicle server, I have to say that air vehicles don't add fun to the game for anyone but the 25-2 jet pilots and the 30-1 LB spergs.
You can have the transports and attack choppers.

Transport choppers should stick around just so there is a way to move a team quickly. I really like having just transport vehicles on infantry maps (Guilan or whatever Peaks does this) so people can get from point to point pretty quickly, but aren't going to crush you because you didn't bring rockets. That was the big failing of Grand Bazaar on CQ on the consoles as each team got an LAV and a Humvee. Just give them a jeep and some ATVs and be done with it.

• Locked thread