Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Vertical Lime posted:

i hear nobody can finish the super g course heh

All Sochi mountain very modern. Too modern for capitalist pigdog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Seriously though. Try carving in slushy bullshit snow. It's the worst. If you hesitate on your turn for a second you lose control.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

DoombatINC posted:

Here I linked it for you

Another Failed to Place Russian goes skiing after Sochi.

Sair
May 11, 2007

Rexicon1 posted:

Seriously though. Try carving in slushy bullshit snow. It's the worst. If you hesitate on your turn for a second you lose control.

They should have trained on the illustrious ski slopes of North Carolina.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

So...I get 30 free minutes to stream on NBC and since I don't have cable, I can't watch more of their stream?
This is loving dumb as hell. I can't watch USA hockey vs Russia for free of all things?

edit: jesus christ you get only 3 minutes a DAY of streaming after the first 30 minutes. And you can't even pay NBC directly for the stream. Wowzers what a great idea and execution.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 15, 2014

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Big Beef City posted:

So...I get 30 free minutes to stream on NBC and since I don't have cable, I can't watch more of their stream?
This is loving dumb as hell. I can't watch USA hockey vs Russia for free of all things?

edit: jesus christ you get only 3 minutes a DAY of streaming after the first 30 minutes. And you can't even pay NBC directly for the stream. Wowzers what a great idea and execution.

It's almost as if they're owned by the largest cable company in the US.

They're really perfect for covering Olympics in Russia.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Russian freestyle skier Maria Komissarova suffers serious spine injury

Russian state-owned news agency R-Sport quoted a source familiar with the situation as saying she had sustained a fractured vertebrae

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spookygonk posted:

Russian state-owned news agency R-Sport quoted a source familiar with the situation as saying she had sustained a fractured vertebrae

Skier collides with Russian hill, Russia will not be pressing charges

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

spookygonk posted:

That's terrible. Wasn't even during an event, just a training run. Though I'd be more concerned about her being taken to a Sochi-local hospital than the injury itself.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

"Russian State-owned" sources make me she straight up broke in half instead of a vertebra.

"No no, is fine! She only breaking one vertebra. Do no be looking at those new tarps. No no, is simply borsht spill on snow. We give nana's borsht to injured athlete! Make her strong enough for healing vodka!"

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

Hhaha yeah god forbid American media highlights anything where the US doesn't win, what I now find hilarious is how in the Summer Olympics since China now get more golds than the US it's no longer about the number of golds oh no it's about the total number of medals (bronzes apparently counting just as much) leading to a total redesign of the medal table.

China only got more golds than the US in 2008, though. In 2012 the US had more gold medals, just like in every other summer olympics.

You'd think China would get more mileage out of the whole "We take you from your family and force you to train constantly" thing, but nope.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Baaaaahahahahahahahaha!

MSNBC was showing USA v. Russia men's hockey. It's tied up, 2 minutes to go....

And they cut to the studio. "You can continue watching on NBCSN! Now let's talk about the women's semifinals!" :downs:

Don't get me wrong, I find myself preferring the women's games as opposed to NHL Remix, but COME. ON.

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW
It's a pretty good match. ALthough Russia should've already won. They didn't count a clear goal because the US goalie bumped the corner of his net an inch back 30 seconds prior and no one noticed. Cool rule, Olympics.

Haha just saw a yank wailing on a russian in the corner.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

t3h z0r posted:

It's a pretty good match. ALthough Russia should've already won. They didn't count a clear goal because the US goalie bumped the corner of his net an inch back 30 seconds prior and no one noticed. Cool rule, Olympics.

Haha just saw a yank wailing on a russian in the corner.

Yea that seems like a weird arse rule

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW
CBC is saying the Russian coaches walked off without a handshake. They're fuckin pissed.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Breaking out of lurk mode to say that game was intense. Edge of seat stuff with the shoot out.

Here's a picture of Putin after Russia scored the third goal. Wonder what he did when they took it away.

:lol:

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 15, 2014

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Here's a picture of Putin after Russia scored the third goal. Wonder what he did when they took it away.

This is what I'm dying to see. NBCSports panned the camera on him after the Russians scored each of their goals. Oddly enough, didn't show his reaction to the loss. Would love to see it...hahal

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

Hhaha yeah god forbid American media highlights anything where the US doesn't win, what I now find hilarious is how in the Summer Olympics since China now get more golds than the US it's no longer about the number of golds oh no it's about the total number of medals (bronzes apparently counting just as much) leading to a total redesign of the medal table.

US media has used the total medal count for decades, even when it doesn't put the US on top. Which is not to say that they don't hype the hell out of anything that gives the US an advantage, but this isn't a variable thing.

There is a case to look at total medal count given the narrow margins in most sports. A country with 20 bronzes and 10 silvers is a lot stronger competitor than one with 1 gold and no other medals.

I Greyhound fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 15, 2014

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

BMS posted:

This is what I'm dying to see. NBCSports panned the camera on him after the Russians scored each of their goals. Oddly enough, didn't show his reaction to the loss. Would love to see it...hahal

They did show him this much after the goal was waved off, absolutely expressionless and frozen:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

strangemusic posted:

Fun fact: I went to high school with the Irish skeletoneer responsible for the :aaa: moment where he held onto the sled during a bail and recovered. Can't post the GIF from mobile.

You are like, my idol. Holy poo poo.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
drat, every time I think Canada's women's curling team is in a spot of trouble, Jennifer Jones pulls off something amazing, I just hope they don't get cocky and gently caress up in the gold medal game like Cheryl Bernard in 2010

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

I Greyhound posted:

US media has used the total medal count for decades, even when it doesn't put the US on top. Which is not to say that they don't hype the hell out of anything that gives the US an advantage, but this isn't a variable thing.

There is a case to look at total medal count given the narrow margins in most sports. A country with 20 bronzes and 10 silvers is a lot stronger competitor than one with 1 gold and no other medals.

The US media has always tallied the medals to place the most total medals in first place. At least it's been that way since the 80's. And actually, it's the more modern reinterpretation of rankings to weigh it towards whoever has the most gold medals. Although it's weird to me to see neither the the US nor the Soviet Union at the top of the medal count. I would attribute that to the disintegration of the USSR leaving tons of medals up for grabs, the reunification of Germany making it a powerhouse, and the emergence of China.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
Holy poo poo that was the worst skeleton start I've ever seen. USA!

the the
Oct 3, 2004
I was going to try watch the men's downhill gold medal run but it seems the Olympic organisers have done a great job of deleting all footage from YouTube.
Any ideas where I can watch some events footage?

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

I Greyhound posted:

Holy poo poo that was the worst skeleton start I've ever seen. USA!

The dudes trying so hard not to break down on tv

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

the the posted:

I was going to try watch the men's downhill gold medal run but it seems the Olympic organisers have done a great job of deleting all footage from YouTube.
Any ideas where I can watch some events footage?

No idea if it's region-locked but CBC has been recording nearly every event, not just the ones with Canada.

http://olympics.cbc.ca/

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Tomero_the_Great posted:

No idea if it's region-locked but CBC has been recording nearly every event, not just the ones with Canada.

Yup, this is where I've been watching everything I have missed. They have every event on there recorded and live and it's free.

NOBEARD
Oct 17, 2008

Hee hee hee
Hee hee hee
College Slice
Large hill death leap is on now! :dance:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Tomero_the_Great posted:

Region locked if you're in the states, looks like

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

NOBEARD posted:

Large hill death leap is on now! :dance:

Ski Jumping is the best. Watch it everyone.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Big Beef City posted:

Region locked if you're in the states, looks like

free-market wins again

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

t3h z0r posted:

CBC is saying the Russian coaches walked off without a handshake. They're fuckin pissed.

what a bunch of babies. loving goal was off the moorings! international rules, bitch :smug:

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Haha I just came up on this point, that rule is so stupid and Russia be mad.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
I hope the russian hockey players are going to be ok after this

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

As someone who isn't a huge hockey fanatic, what rule would this be?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

rocket_man38 posted:

Russian coaches replaced by dogs is ok.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

As someone who isn't a huge hockey fanatic, what rule would this be?

What happen was that the net was knocked back a little while there were a bunch of players around it. Nobody noticed this until after the goal was scored. In the NHL this really isn't a problem provided the net wasn't knocked back considerably, but with international hockey this isn't allowed so when the refs looked at the goal using the net camera and noticed the net had been knocked back they disallowed the goal. Stupid yeah but that's the way she goes.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

rocket_man38 posted:

It was only a preliminary round game, and Russia seems to be doing fine otherwise.

But a chance to beat one of your main rivals in one of your most popular sports on the both international stage and on home turf doesn't come around too often. I hope they get paired again so things get interesting.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Darkman Fanpage posted:

What happen was that the net was knocked back a little while there were a bunch of players around it. Nobody noticed this until after the goal was scored. In the NHL this really isn't a problem provided the net wasn't knocked back considerably, but with international hockey this isn't allowed so when the refs looked at the goal using the net camera and noticed the net had been knocked back they disallowed the goal. Stupid yeah but that's the way she goes.
Looking forward to the Russians deliberately knocking their own net back from now on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the the
Oct 3, 2004

Tomero_the_Great posted:

Yep region locked for me in Ireland :argh:

• Locked thread