Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Ineffiable posted:

Wasn't that Strider game said to be decent?

I mean, I'll wait for reviews/someone here to beat the game and post about it, but it sounded good from what I heard of it.

Developed by Double Helix. Even after Killer Instinct, wait for reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I see EDF DLC but not the game itself listed. George is getting upset.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

FishBulb posted:

Well we don't have the full Drop list yet.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Ineffiable posted:

Wasn't that Strider game said to be decent?

I mean, I'll wait for reviews/someone here to beat the game and post about it, but it sounded good from what I heard of it.

It's by Double Helix games, who are one of those companies where it's mysterious how they keep getting work, so yes, waiting for the reviews would be for the best.

e:f;b

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
People trying out the demo on the Japanese store seem generally positive. But that is only a demo.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

FishBulb posted:

Don't be. It was confirmed to come out on PSN this week.

Updated list of known things to come out this Tuesday, now with info from The Drop, shown in italics

*moved and updated a few posts down*

Assassin's Creed: Freedom Cry was confirmed here, but the blog poster assumed it was not a new game because it already came out as an add-on.

One more update with the PS+ stuff will come tomorrow morning.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 18, 2014

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I started playing Remember Me in an effort to at least play it a little bit before it goes free.

Man, it is not a good game like at all. It's ugly, badly written and the combat feels like a really bad imitation of the Arkham games.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
From the PS4 thread: PS4 stuff is was starting to appear in the PS4 store under Japanese PSN accounts, including a PS4 demo of Strider and PS4 beta of Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn that won't work until probably this Saturday.

update: From seeing the new posts, it looks like the Japanese PS4 store was closed off. Whoops.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 16, 2014

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Remember Me is one of those games that take roughly 8 hours to beat right? I'll probably blitz through it next weekend, then delete/never touch it again.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I found it funny in the early part of Remember Me you're tasked with finding a bar and you're told "you can't miss it" and this is proven to be true given how incredibly linear the level is.

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.
Mr Driller?! Whooooo!!!! I knows its the first one but its so fun and better be Vita compatible too!

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Oh poo poo, Mr. Driller. Nice addition.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

HOLY poo poo MR DRILLER

Mr Driller loving owns so hard.

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inF6ExwC5T4

Here's some footage if you never played it. It's super fun, and I'm buying it for my vita asap.

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Feb 17, 2014

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Meanwhile, here is the intro for Neo Contra (warning: extremely corny/manly)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEqu2ITiOPI
A samurai cuts a flying missile in half while riding the top of a jet. :madmax:

And here is some gameplay video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CcIH0gi3js

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Yechezkel posted:

I refuse to watch the gameplay video. It can't possibly live up to that intro.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Ineffiable posted:

Remember Me is one of those games that take roughly 8 hours to beat right? I'll probably blitz through it next weekend, then delete/never touch it again.
I rented it and got like 2-3 hours in and went back to actually fun games

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Neo Contra's soundtrack is the poo poo because it was made by two guys who normally do much of their work on Konami's rhythm game franchises so you're blowing up dudes to rave music instead of butt rock.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Yechezkel posted:

I can't remember if this is the PS Contra game where using the sword guy makes the game super easy or the one where it makes it loving impossible. Also fun random fact: in that awesome intro video, the 正 characters everywhere are just a Chinese (maybe Japan does it too?) way of making tick marks to count up to 5.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

duckfarts posted:

Also fun random fact: in that awesome intro video, the 正 characters everywhere are just a Chinese (maybe Japan does it too?) way of making tick marks to count up to 5.

Yeah, Japan does it too. It's the Asian equivalent to counting in fives by doing this:

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

duckfarts posted:

Also fun random fact: in that awesome intro video, the 正 characters everywhere are just a Chinese (maybe Japan does it too?) way of making tick marks to count up to 5.

It's also the Kanji for "correct."

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Parkingtigers posted:

I refuse to watch the gameplay video. It can't possibly live up to that intro.

I found the game fun and I love the hell out of the intro but you're right. The gameplay does not compare. I'll probably get it anyway :downs:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

PSN Blog updated, looks like Street Fighter X Tekken is tomorrow's Vita freebie along with Remember Me for PS3. Only listed discount is Gunslugs ($1.99 down from $2.49)

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Has there been any reason given as to why Tomba 2 is the Japanese import edition? I'm really excited to be able to play it again, but I'm confused as to why this would be the case.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Krad posted:

There's no reason to buy any game for $60 nowadays. The price usually goes down in just a couple of months.

Yeah, I rarely do but I heard it was good at the time and wanted a new game to play. I did get a bunch of play out of it but eventually deleted it. I don't generally buy games at full-price, I think the last one I bought was Ni No Kuni (which I don't regret, even though a lot of people didn't like it.)

That being said, I just bought a Vita on Saturday and forgot PSABR was cross-buy, so I've been playing it again. It was still a really good game and it's sad it didn't do well :smith:

robodex fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 17, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

SpacePig posted:

Has there been any reason given as to why Tomba 2 is the Japanese import edition? I'm really excited to be able to play it again, but I'm confused as to why this would be the case.

I don't know if it applies to Tomba 2, and it is rare, but there are a handful of games that have significant enough internal differences between regions that you could end up able to emulate one version but not another. One of the bigger examples is the PS1 version of Chrono Trigger, where Square opted to IPS patch the Japanese ROM live in memory for the English version, further stressing the system and creating worse load times versus its native Japanese counterpart.

Why they decided this game was important enough to release even though it was in Japanese is an excellent question, though.

EDIT it seems to be a licensing thing, as the US version is available on the EU store for some reason.

univbee fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 17, 2014

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Does the Japanese version of Tomba have english? The first Tomba has a metric ton of side quests and you'd need to be able to read it to progress.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Is the PS3 > PS4 upgrade for Black Flag still available? It's on the store but tells me it's unavailable for purchase (but I don't have the PS3 disc in or own the PS3 digital version). But then it's description says the offer lasts until 3/31/14. But then some articles online say Black Flag's offer ended 1/31. But then-- so info's all over the place.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Hydrocodone posted:

Is the PS3 > PS4 upgrade for Black Flag still available? It's on the store but tells me it's unavailable for purchase (but I don't have the PS3 disc in or own the PS3 digital version). But then it's description says the offer lasts until 3/31/14. But then some articles online say Black Flag's offer ended 1/31. But then-- so info's all over the place.

They apparently extended it. It's listing unavailable for you because you don't own the PS3 version, probably.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Ape Agitator posted:

Does the Japanese version of Tomba have english? The first Tomba has a metric ton of side quests and you'd need to be able to read it to progress.

I was wondering about this as well. I was planning on buying Tomba 2 but then I realized that it may be a bit difficult to progress through the game. I mean, if I really want to play it I can always just get back my disc copy that I lent out ages ago since I've been meaning to do that anyway, but it sure would be nice to have a digital copy to play without any hassle. And no matter what I'll at least have a digital copy of Mr. Driller.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

univbee posted:

They apparently extended it. It's listing unavailable for you because you don't own the PS3 version, probably.

Yup. They quietly extended it to the end of March. This thread and this post on the official Ubisoft forums confirmed the extended expiration date for the discount offer for both NA and EU regions. This was done last November.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
If you're interested in Strider, hop over to the PS4 thread where a bunch of us snagged the demo off the Japanese market when it was up.

The demo gives you about 15-20 minutes of gameplay, and I played through it three times. Unless the quality takes a nosedive, this is a game you want if you like the original Strider.

It's very unapologetic about what it is, meaning it is difficult, there will probably be some undeniable bullshit areas, and there will probably be some jankiness, but if you like Strider, then the game is awesome.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Updated list of known releases for NA region tomorrow, from The Drop, PS+ preview and other sources.

Upcoming New PS+ Offers

quote:

Free
PS3 game Remember Me 6.4 GB
Vita game Street Fighter X Tekken 2.1 GB (includes access to Promo DLC Offer with SF/TK Alternate Costume Complete Pack for both PS3 and Vita versions and Additional Characters Pack for PS3 version)

PS+ Discount
Vita game Gunslugs $2.49 $1.99, discount lasts for 1 week

PS+ offers going away tomorrow
▼ Free - PS3 game Poker Night 2 456 MB
▼ Free - Vita game Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed 1.4 GB
▼ Discount - TxK $9.99 $7.99
▼ Discount - Blood Knights $9.99 $7.99

Upcoming New Releases

quote:

PS4 Games
Assassin's Creed: Freedom Cry $14.99 (standalone version, does not require Assassin's Creed IV to play)
Rayman Legends $39.99
Strider $14.99

PS3 Games
Assassin's Creed: Freedom Cry $14.99 (standalone version, does not require Assassin's Creed IV to play)
Earth Defense Force 2025 $49.99
Forest Legends: The Call of Love
Strider $14.99

PS2 Classic
Neo Contra, probably $9.99

PSone Classic
Mr. Driller, probably $5.99

PSone Import
Tomba! 2: The Evil Swine Return (Japanese version) $9.99

Vita Game
Gunslugs $2.49 ✚$1.99

PS4 Beta
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - open to all PS4 owners, to be available Saturday, February 22

PS4 Demo
Strider

PS3 Demos
Forest Legends: The Call of Love
Strider

PS3 Add-On
Earth Defense Force 2025: Special Ops $2.99

PS+ members: from what is left over and shown in the PS+ preview, the Vita game Smart As will be replaced by the Vita game ModNation Racers: Road Trip next week.

Update: PS+ members, after getting Street Fighter X Tekken Vita version, don't forget to grab the Promo DLC Offer, which includes the SF/TK Alternate Costume Complete Pack for both PS3 and Vita versions and Additional Characters Pack for the PS3 version.

From an XMB messsage: The Last of Us + Season Pass bundle is only available until the store update tomorrow.

Vita PLAY 2014 promotion is already over. The bonus PSN codes will be sent out on or before February 28, says the official rules.

Flash Sale is still going on as of 7pm Pacific. It is suppose to last for all of Monday.

These sales will probably end tomorrow:

quote:

quote:

Ubisoft Valentine's Day Sale (link to sale section in webstore)
PS3 Games:
Beyond Good & Evil HD $4.99
From Dust $7.49
Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes $7.49
Rayman 3 HD $4.99

PS3 Games:
Blood Knights $9.99 ✚$7.99
Catherine $9.99
Droplitz $0.99
The Cursed Crusade $7.99
Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon $7.99
Trine 2 $7.49

Vita Game:
Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable $9.99

==========

The few things known to come out in the EU store this Wednesday:

New PS+ Offers

quote:

PS+ Discounts
Additional discounts on Knack and Tearaway sales, listed below

Vita game Gunslugs €2.49 €1.99, discount lasts for 1 week

PS+ offer going away Wednesday
Discount - The Last of Us £19.99/€29.99/AU$39.95 £17.99/€26.99/AU$35.96

Upcoming Releases

quote:

PS4 Games
Assassin's Creed: Freedom Cry (standalone version, does not require Assassin's Creed IV to play)
Rayman Legends, to be available Friday
Strider

PS3 Games
Assassin's Creed: Freedom Cry (standalone version, does not require Assassin's Creed IV to play)
Master Reboot
Strider

Vita Games
Gunslugs €2.49 ✚€1.99
Sorcery Saga: Curse of the Great Curry God

PS4 Beta
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - open to all PS4 owners, to be available Saturday, 22 February

PS4 Demo
Strider

PS3 Demo
Strider

PS3 Add-On
Earth Defense Force 2025: Special Ops £2.39/€2.99, to be available Friday
And probably Earth Defense Force 2025 for this Friday, but I haven't seen it confirmed for EU PSN release.

New Sales

quote:

Part of the February Price Cuts promotion, both last until 26 February:
Knack Was £52.99/€59.99, now £35.59/€40.19 Additional 10% discount for PS Plus members
Tearaway Was £19.99/€24.99, now £12.99/€16.99 Additional 10% discount for PS Plus members

I don't think any PS+ games will be rotated out this Wednesday.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Feb 18, 2014

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Yechezkel posted:

The JSON data for Street Fighter X Tekken Vita version says it only includes the game and Alternate Costume Complete Pack for both PS3 and Vita versions. For those that have already bought the Vita download version, how are the free additional fighters for the PS3 version distributed?
If the EU PS+ version is anything to go by, the PS3 Additional Characters DLC is added to your Download List when you pick up the PS+ Vita version.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
I found it: Promo DLC Offer. I guess that will become available after grabbing the Vita game tomorrow.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of which, does the Vita version have the Playstation exclusive Pac-Man, Cole, and Toro?

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
I believe so, yes. They should be available in the game.
For add-ons, there are a ton of free add-ons for the game, but they are for different color palettes and different preset combos.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Man, now that I've played it a little more, I'm more positive then ever that this just isn't a good game. It has some interesting ideas here and their but they're drowned in a sea of bad ones.

Also, here's a tip for any game makers that want to make a game where you fight stuff: don't make it so enemies are invincible unless you do a certain thing. It's a concept that is never as cool as you think it is and at worst can be really god damned aggregating. I just fought some enemies that can turn invisible and it was fine for a bit but then I got to a fight where the only way to make it so you could touch them was to turn on a light (that went off and then had a cool down timer) or to use a special move (which you could only charge by hitting enemies an even longer cool down timer). That ended up being a pretty not fun fight.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Just saw on the Twitters that the documentary Grounded: The Making of The Last of Us is free on Amazon instant video. And if you "buy" it for $0 you get $1 of Amazon Music credit.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Parkingtigers posted:

Just saw on the Twitters that the documentary Grounded: The Making of The Last of Us is free on Amazon instant video. And if you "buy" it for $0 you get $1 of Amazon Music credit.
Confirmed, just did it, gives "$1 credit valid towards Amazon MP3 albums or single songs".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
NA region:
Flash Sale is still up. :stare: If you still haven't bought anything, but are interested in any of it, get your things now until around 9am to 10am Pacific. That is when sales disappear before the store update.

No midnight releases happened tonight.

• Locked thread