Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
saw the lego movie it was pretty ok but forgettable

it wasnt too terrible it was just rly rly dumb and brainless and the handful of actually funny gags were spread thin across unfunny family guy humor. the people next to us lost their fuckin poo poo like every 5 minutes to jokes that were not funny at all just rapid-fired off mindless slapstick every. single. jump cut. the music was really annoying generic poppy dubstep noise too quiet to really make out and i want to give the sound guy a high five for that

the visuals were really really freakin cool but at no point did the director ever try to make the movie seem visually interesting so its pretty much just a regular lovely unfunny action/comedy family cartoon with cool animation. the art style of super macro lego bricks is really awesome but theres so much motion blur that it looks like piss every time the camera panned, which was all the loving time because the movie was at a breakneck pace and nothing ever stopped for more than like 5 seconds at a time. sometimes the cgi looked super realistic and fantastic looking and sometimes it looked like a cheap video game and im p sure that they realized they didnt have the render time to use subsurface scattering for the WHOLE movie cause the scenes without it are the ones that look bad and aren't in the trailer

its not bad like there are no truly terrible parts of this movie (except for will ferrel) which is good i guess but its so lacking in charm

just watch wreck it wralph instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

i consume all my media via my ipod suck my dick david

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 16, 2014

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

nigga crab pollock posted:

it wasnt too terrible it was just rly rly dumb and brainless and the handful of actually funny gags were spread thin across unfunny family guy humor. the people next to us lost their fuckin poo poo like every 5 minutes to jokes that were not funny at all just rapid-fired off mindless slapstick every. single. jump cut. the music was really annoying generic poppy dubstep noise too quiet to really make out and i want to give the sound guy a high five for that

the visuals were really really freakin cool but at no point did the director ever try to make the movie seem visually interesting so its pretty much just a regular lovely unfunny action/comedy family cartoon with cool animation. the art style of super macro lego bricks is really awesome but theres so much motion blur that it looks like piss every time the camera panned, which was all the loving time because the movie was at a breakneck pace and nothing ever stopped for more than like 5 seconds at a time. sometimes the cgi looked super realistic and fantastic looking and sometimes it looked like a cheap video game and im p sure that they realized they didnt have the render time to use subsurface scattering for the WHOLE movie cause the scenes without it are the ones that look bad and aren't in the trailer

its not bad like there are no truly terrible parts of this movie (except for will ferrel) which is good i guess but its so lacking in charm

sounds like you went to a childrens movie but you don't have children???

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
yeah basically but i heard good thigns about it. it has a 96 on rotten tomatoes. its made by teh dudes who did 21 jump street, a funny movie

i was bamboozled

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

did you buy some lego afterwards ?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
woulda skipped the movie and bought some lego

then made a stop action lego build for this thtread

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

pagancow posted:

if you have a valid profile you created for your monitor and you enable color management then you will be looking at a really accurate source

also mpc-hc doesn't do dumb things like display Tv levels on rgb displays so that's why it looks right in mpc-hc

thank you for your answers pcow, but how do i know if my profile is valid? also where would i enable color management?

i just want to see what the artist wants e to see

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
fact, humans don't see colors the same way. you will never see the video as the artist intended

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

BONGHITZ posted:

thank you for your answers pcow, but how do i know if my profile is valid? also where would i enable color management?

i just want to see what the artist wants e to see

just need to point one of these at it

http://studio.spectracal.com/store/klein-k10-a-colorimeter.html

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

nigga crab pollock posted:

a totally mass media, family oriented film doesn't make your dick hard wow

also lol the thought of subsurface scattering on plastic, but it's thin so welp.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

hahahah lol

funny codec

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

but seriously this will get you 99.2% of the way there:

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

what happened to your AV USSMICHELLEBACHMAN?

intern story comming up???? (i hope)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
xvid

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

a punchline alone a joke does not make.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

pagancow posted:

what happened to your AV USSMICHELLEBACHMAN?

intern story comming up???? (i hope)

i got banned for some reason?????? maybe you can look into this for me now?

also i have never been an intern will a non-intern related embarassing story count??

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

i got banned for some reason?????? maybe you can look into this for me now?

also i have never been an intern will a non-intern related embarassing story count??

Affirmative

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

also gently caress i need to make an XDcamHD file format logo for you

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

pagancow posted:

i've been wanting to tell my bosses about this but seeing as they already invested in over 20k of flanders monitors, i don't want to break their hearts.

also spending 20k on flanders monitors for reality TV shows that are shot like crap. i might as well have f.lux gettign routed into my flanders for all it really matters. accuracy lol lets just make the colors 'reasonable okay looking' and then we can worry about accuracy.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
right now my biggest problem in life is this jib guy holy christ

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
motion jpeg in a 3GP

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

pagancow posted:

also gently caress i need to make an XDcamHD file format logo for you

yeah XDcamHD would be about right

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
some of our shows from back east were startingto look pretty bad, bad enough that the network started noticing. we had a big throwdown with the EP over there because the shows were bad for many reasons but apparently when they asked her why the lighting was so bad she said 'oh, we don't do that'

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
i've been looking through old cool video codecs for ~*the challenge*~ and theres a lot of neat stuff out there and ffmpeg handles just about every single one of them for decoding but not encoding

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

pagancow posted:

jesus, this costs more than my monitor

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

BONGHITZ posted:

buy a better monitor

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
480p ought to be enough for everyone imo

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

ahmeni posted:

i've been looking through old cool video codecs for ~*the challenge*~ and theres a lot of neat stuff out there and ffmpeg handles just about every single one of them for decoding but not encoding

write your own codec. i call mine motion-pcx

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

ahmeni posted:

the reason for that is if you want to make a successful codec, everyone needs to be able to decode it, so you release a public spec. but if you want to make money off of it, you make sure no one else can write an encoder for it. so maybe you copyright it or whatever idk

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
copyright only protects a specific implementation, patent protects the method. there's no way to make a modern codec without incorporating a thousand patented methods anyway, so if you want anyone to use it there will have to be a license pool. see google webm for the hilarious consequences of pretending this isn't true.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

BONGHITZ posted:

rule 36 just buy a 32" uhd display.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

The Management posted:

fact, humans don't see colors the same way. you will never see the video as the artist intended

gently caress

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

how are those corean 27" PLS displays?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
okay apparently

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

I wouldn't trust anybody to properly make sure red green and blue were correct let alone hit any sembelence of sRGB for less than 200

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

neat b/c they're only like $350 or so

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

since we are taliking about aa stuff and film grain increasing perceived resolution, this aa approach seems similar to that: http://www.hpdz.net/TechInfo/StochasticSupersampling.htm
http://www.siggraph.org/education/materials/HyperGraph/aliasing/alias5.htm

wonder if a poisson disk distribution camera sensor would work

the penelope delta sensor is already similar with how it moves the sensor around

maybe take a psuedo-random pattern sensor like the fuji x-trans + move the sensor around to computed poisson disk coordinates

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

pagancow posted:

I know you can find out who's an idiot right away when you see the traffic cone.

yep

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

X-Trans owns they should make an FF version then they will rule all the cis Bayer scum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
i just use whatever timb decided was best for the itunes stoer

• Locked thread