Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

beru04 posted:

I tried it. The problem was that there were just too many inputs and such long waits that battles were a hit or two at best. I think someone suggested Divekick might be a good idea?

Dive kick would probably be perfect. The matches would almost be completely random, but the inputs are simple enough to ensure someone is gonna get hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

So I'm guessing we're still stuck in Team Rocket's maze and we still don't have the lift key. Any more casualties in the past 6 hours? Did we manage to deposit Dig?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Xtanstic posted:

So I'm guessing we're still stuck in Team Rocket's maze and we still don't have the lift key. Any more casualties in the past 6 hours? Did we manage to deposit Dig?
Nope. Literally no progress.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Well at least we just saved so we won't lose the 0 progress we've made!

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Blaziken386 posted:

Well, I'm going to sleep now. I fully expect this thread to have gone up another 30+ pages and the stream to have not progressed at all by the time I come back.

You'll come back to the stream having released everyone but the oddish.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Will we ever escape?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dvIzpWJfMQ

And how long will it take to pull off not 1, but 3 acts of extraordinary teamwork?

Sub Harrison fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 18, 2014

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012
People keep saying 6-8 hours, but I looked it up.

Rocket HQ begins at 4d 14h 29m.

It has been 14 hours.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Is it possible to release every pokemon you have?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
Nope, you can't release the last Pokemon in your party.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
And it will be Flareon. :unsmigghh:

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Red Metal posted:

Nope, you can't release the last Pokemon in your party.

Although if you could, it would be the perfect way for the stream to end.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

drunken officeparty posted:

Is it possible to release every pokemon you have?

Nope. I think the only way to get stuck like that would be to release all Surf-capable Pokemon while on Cinnabar Island, but there might even be some in the mansion.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Walliard posted:

Nope. I think the only way to get stuck like that would be to release all Surf-capable Pokemon while on Cinnabar Island, but there might even be some in the mansion.

Omanyte can surf. Just you wait, the Helix Fossil will save this run.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
It is, however, possible to deposit the last conscious Pokemon in the party, step away from the computer and promptly black out.

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

Inadequately posted:

It is, however, possible to deposit the last conscious Pokemon in the party, step away from the computer and promptly black out.
This happened with Pidgeot a while back

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I swear, I'm going to wake up tomorrow and they'll be on the Safari Zone or something...

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
I want to punch every motherfucker who thinks 'pressing' start is still funny.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Tracula posted:

See the thing is that Pokemon works out absolutely perfectly for a Twitch Plays thing. It's not based on reflex, doesn't need to handle multiple inputs, buttons being held etc. Most other games simply wouldn't work as well as it just so happens Pokemon does.

Yeah, reading the FAQ, the guy who set this up choose which game to play very carefully.

The GBC Dragon Quests would also work. Actually pretty much any GB or NES RPG would work, with the lack of buttons and no need for reflexes which is really all that's needed to see progress from one of these things.

... I kinda want to see somebody do this with Earthbound now.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Nauta posted:

If anything the people pressing A are the real enemies here. Start at least lets us catch our breath and smooth out our stray arrow commands, but all A does is menu dive.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Nauta posted:

With a 25 second lag, slowing Red's movements to allow people to catch up actually makes him easier to control.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Yeah, reading the FAQ, the guy who set this up choose which game to play very carefully.

The GBC Dragon Quests would also work. Actually pretty much any GB or NES RPG would work, with the lack of buttons and no need for reflexes which is really all that's needed to see progress from one of these things.

... I kinda want to see somebody do this with Earthbound now.

EarthBound wouldn't work because it's possible to get stuck. If you save the game and then say you don't want to continue, the game stops until you press the power button or the reset button.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

TheEggsBenedict posted:

This happened with Pidgeot a while back

That's what I was referring to, it was amazing. Everyone was going 'WE CAN'T RELEASE HIM NOW GOGOGO'. The subsequent reaction was beautiful.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Walliard posted:

The RNG pokemon game had to be restarted because it released a charizard and was left with a level 7 Magicarp. About 99% impossible to carry on.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
pressing a is the way to go since that gives the most time to have input catch up to the video

optimally, every pause would also save the game for this reason

lol

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

I wonder what would have happened if PIDGEOT got released too during the Great Eevee Civil War. I am pretty sure Eevee would have been sacrificed to the Fossil, releasing every pokeman we had in the process be damned.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

babypolis posted:

I wonder what would have happened if PIDGEOT got released too during the Great Eevee Civil War. I am pretty sure Eevee would have been sacrificed to the Fossil, releasing every pokeman we had in the process be damned.

What would happen is that Eevee is the only remaining pokemon in the party, staring up at you with an innocent smile.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I swear, I'm going to wake up tomorrow and they'll be on the Safari Zone or something...

I woke up to a dead Abby and Jay Leno :smith:

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
When we actually get through this maze every other battle in there gonna be tense as poo poo.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

smokyprogg posted:

pressing a is the way to go since that gives the most time to have input catch up to the video

optimally, every pause would also save the game for this reason

lol

I don't have access to the chat anymore for some reason, but with 60000 people isn't it safe to assume the lag is too large for start/a to be very effective at this point?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I just hope we get to the point where we can turn the fossil into Omanyte. I'm sure the chat reaction will be suitably hilarious.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Looking at our party stats, I predict Oddish is going to be a real dark horse in the coming battles. His ability to spam status effects mixed with one damaging ability really fits our...ahem...fighting style. Expect him to start hitting above his weight class if we ever get out of this labyrinth.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

They're not dead, they're just, uh... out in the wild. Yeah.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Vitamin P posted:

When we actually get through this maze every other battle in there gonna be tense as poo poo.

How many battles are there after these mazes?

Cody Watts
Jun 5, 2004
The internet makes you stupid.

DarkHamsterlord posted:

EarthBound wouldn't work because it's possible to get stuck. If you save the game and then say you don't want to continue, the game stops until you press the power button or the reset button.

I'm sure some enterprising ROM-hacker could remove the prompt which asks you if you want to continue.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

drat, I was hoping they'd finally find some solace out of captivity.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Does Super Mario RPG kick you back to the title screen if your party wipes? I could see that being a good one if it doesn't.

Rinkles posted:

drat, I was hoping they'd finally find some solace out of captivity.

I remember one hearing that any Pokemon you release has a super-rare chance of appearing as a wild Pokemon, allowing you to catch it again. Is that true or just some schoolyard myth?

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
Splitting the stream into two, save editing the new player's name to BLUE and having them take eachother on would both be really enjoyable to follow and possibly mitigate the lag(assuming Twitch works that way). But what do I know.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Rocketlex posted:

Does Super Mario RPG kick you back to the title screen if your party wipes? I could see that being a good one if it doesn't.

It has actual platforming elements in it and very fine movement. I can't imagine it getting past the first obstacle that requires you to jump on a platform.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Rocketlex posted:

Platforming elements and timed combat... probably not the best.

If I had no experience with Pokemon before and a certain stream piqued my interest in actually playing this game (I mean, it seems pretty simple), where would I start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Cody Watts posted:

I'm sure some enterprising ROM-hacker could remove the prompt which asks you if you want to continue.

They would also probably have to get rid of the three minute wait at the waterfall, too. There's no way the chat would ever wait patiently for three minutes.

But yeah, it'd be trivial to get rid of the continue prompts on save points and when your party wipes, as well as the three minute wait by using PK Hack. You don't even need any prior ROM hacking experience.

• Locked thread