Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The universe sure played a cruel joke on us all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I'm another that got burned coming back to the Pirates franchise only after seeing a trailer with Ian McShane in it. Then again I'll blindly watch just about anything he's in after Deadwood so I probably shouldn't have expected more from the hundredth movie in that series. I wouldn't compare Black Sails to Deadwood overall, though.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

I would compare it to Deadwood for a few reasons. Its closer to modern times. It doesn't have crazy 300 style cgi. Hell its only had two real fights yet and seems much more about the behind the scenes politics than Spartacus. And its nowhere near as badass as Spartacus. Yes we are early in the show so I hope it gets nuts soon.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

There's probably far more CGI than you think in Black Sails and it being closer to modern times than Spartacus doesn't really change the fact that the tone and scale is very different between it and Deadwood. I'm not really sure what you're even comparing at that point but it's probably not a point worth arguing over either way.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Fragmented posted:

And its nowhere near as badass as Spartacus.

Spartacus wasn't as badass as Spartacus until episode 4.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007
Spartacus was very over the top, while this show seems to be very much focused on portraying a sort of more grounded and "realistic" aesthetic to pirates than Spartacus did with it's material. Not that that is better or worse, but the comparison with Deadwood I think is pretty decent, although maybe Hell on Wheels is a better comparison with out such lofty expectations. I like it though, I really dig how everything has looked and "felt" in the episodes in the environments. They definitely sell me on being out in the Caribbean.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie
I like the comparison to Deadwood, at least in a really loose kind of way. Both portray groups on the semi-lawless frontier of their respective civilizations, and both groups prize their independence and are willing to fight for it, while also recognizing on some level that their independence from the powers that be can't last forever. While Deadwood focused mostly on the permanent residents of the town, the town was also less of a destination and more of a waypoint for most people (like an inland port. Sort of).

And both also attempt to portray a realistic vision of a group that's been highly mythologized in the popular consciousness, to the point of incorporating some of the most mythologized figures (like Wild Bill).

Yeah, I can see a similarity there. Not as much in style as theme and setting though.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
I dont get the Spartacus comparison at all except they are on the same channel.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Quoting myself here, but:

quote:

I compared it to Spartacus in the title because at the time I wrote the OP, Spartacus had just gone off the air and this was next in the pipe for the "historical action series aimed at men ages 18-35."

But I'll be perfectly honest and say that, at least so far, Black Sails is completely tonally different, so my comparison is no longer valid. But I can't change the title so everyone has to live with it.

edit: went ahead and threw it into the OP, because this far along in the thread and series your question is a completely valid one

Asbury fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 13, 2014

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

JEEVES420 posted:

I dont get the Spartacus comparison at all except they are on the same channel.

You must have left the room during the blackbeard scene

Also show has Mr. T pirate with orc teeth

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Was Blackbeard even a thing in 1715? Like I know he was alive, but was he well known enough to have vaginal hair named after him?

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 14, 2014

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

Was Blackbeard even a thing in 1715? Like I know he was alive, but was he well known enough to have vaginal hair named after him?

I think a better question is, who cares?

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

3Romeo posted:

Quoting myself here, but:

edit: went ahead and threw it into the OP, because this far along in the thread and series your question is a completely valid one

Can you change the thread title to:

Black Sails: Fruit. Fruit. Tits. Tits. Plant. Plant. It's the fuckin same!

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

Solice Kirsk posted:

Maybe, maybe not. He wasn't the absolute boogeyman he'd eventually become, that only happened after he left the Caribbean and moved up north. He was a pretty crazy guy, so it fits that among the pirates he'd have made a name for himself by this point.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

I think a better question is, who cares?

And this is a good point. It was a great joke, no point throwing it out just because it might be a few years early. :haw:

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

New episode tonight, and no sticky? The mods ram cock in mast!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Well that was a pleasant slow burn, but now it looks like it's time to hit the loving gas!

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Is ep4 not premiering tonight? It's not up on Starz Play.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Always say yes to the gently caress tent

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I don't really know what to say without spoilers and whatnot, but I am certainly pleased this got picked up for a second season so far and I also say yes to the fucktent.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

You should never be without a fucktent

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
Vane's little opium-addled brush with death was pretty badass. I loved the nod to how unreliable flintlock pistols could be.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I really liked that episode. They certainly put a lot of spinning plates up. I can't wait to see which ones stay up and which ones come crashing down.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I like how Rackham was like, "I'll get back on my feet with my wits," whereas Vane was like, "I'll get back on my feet by murdering some assholes."

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

nooneofconsequence posted:

I like how Rackham was like, "I'll get back on my feet with my wits," whereas Vane was like, "I'll get back on my feet by murdering some assholes."

I hope we get to see more of that huge barbarian dude he kept hallucinating and Vane's backstory is as cool as I'm imagining it should be.

Lektor
May 1, 2013
Has there been any hint of who that dude Vane is hallucinating is?

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.
You'll see more of that big dude in a future episode, yes. Also next week's episode has a sea battle. :)

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Five Cent Deposit posted:

You'll see more of that big dude in a future episode, yes. Also next week's episode has a sea battle. :)

Hey, I'm cool with you popping in and teasing us like this, but you've got me really curious. How much can you/are you willing to say about your involvement with the show (if anything?)

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Sea battles are the best kinds of battles. I sure hope we see part of a hull explode from a cannonball and shoot a billion splinters into the face of some poor crew member.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Chum ng into the thread now. I thought it started off a tad slow but the last two episodes really won me over.

I'm really interested to see what goes down, gently caress history, I'm watching my soaps.

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

DivisionPost posted:

Hey, I'm cool with you popping in and teasing us like this, but you've got me really curious. How much can you/are you willing to say about your involvement with the show (if anything?)

I dunno. I'm having fun popping in from time to time but I probably won't say much more than I have.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

I dunno. I'm having fun popping in from time to time but I probably won't say much more than I have.

Totally fair! :) Keep having fun!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

It's you. You're Michael Bay.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Tighclops posted:

It's you. You're Michael Bay.

There's not enough "F" bombs and insistences on giving 110%.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
They really went all out to avoind the usual pirate stereotype of a ship full of violent psychos sailing around hoping to come across something to attack and plunder. There is an impressive amount of planning going on, the logistics of getting weapons, the connections needed to sell the loot, plotting the course to intercept the target and the cleaning of the ship hull for extra speed.

That being said, the show is due some big action scenes. A ship battle and Annie Bonny gutting some scumbags would be good for the next episode.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
QI tuned me onto Sodomy and the Pirate Tradition, and I've been waiting for a piece of pirate fiction that will go the full homosexual.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Pirates of Penzance not homosexual enough?

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
I don't know if it was just a throw-away line for the sake of filling space (him not going to the brothel, I mean), or I'm still stuck on Agron in Spartacus, but I can't help but feel that if/when they do spotlight a gay pirate, it's going to be Billy. Probably way off, but those are the vibes I'm getting.

edit: Granted, I haven't read Treasure Island since I was a preteen, so I can't remember if there's anything there to prove or disprove that right out of the gate.

KatWithHands fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 19, 2014

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Those two guys were going to the gently caress tent together, right?

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

CeeJee posted:

They really went all out to avoind the usual pirate stereotype of a ship full of violent psychos sailing around hoping to come across something to attack and plunder. There is an impressive amount of planning going on, the logistics of getting weapons, the connections needed to sell the loot, plotting the course to intercept the target and the cleaning of the ship hull for extra speed.

Yeah. I love the emphases they’ve put on how a lot of these guys are where they are because they’ve rebelled against the fairly oppressive empires that they were subjects of. During the golden age of piracy most pirates started off as dirt poor sailors who were paid poo poo wages and treated like slaves by the ship’s officers until they either snapped and took over the ship or got raided by pirates and joined up.

Not to say that a lot of them weren’t bloodthirsty psychopaths. When you’re part of a violent outlaw gang that’s a character trait that leads to promotion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

nooneofconsequence posted:

Those two guys were going to the gently caress tent together, right?

Pirate Code says it's not gay if it happens in the gently caress Tent

• Locked thread