Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I don't know if there's a better place to ask this, but does anyone happen to have a high resolution picture/vector of the Hawke family crest?
These are biggest/clearest ones I could find.
http://i.imgur.com/czWhOHS.png
http://i.imgur.com/87YlkZv.png

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Thank very much! I have no idea what size she needs, but they look nice and clear to me. :) Much appreciated.

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

(and can't post for 668 days!)

http://www.examiner.com/article/dragon-age-3-inquisition-developer-responds-to-lack-of-maturity-concern?cid=taboola_inbound

quote:

John Epler has issued a response in regards to a fan’s concern about the upcoming multiplatform video game, “Dragon Age 3: Inquisition,” lacking in mature contents. According to a post from the Bioware Social Network forum on May 17, the cinematic designer for the “Dragon Age” stated that “gratuitous nudity and violence” won’t make the sequel more mature by default.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/Dra...16707320-1.html

quote:

I remember reading an interview back when Mass Effect 2 was released, about how the Mass Effect team was aiming for a PG-13 feel for their game
http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9026170

While the Mass Effect and Dragon Age teams are not the same, I get the feeling that the general directive from Bioware or maybe EA is for the two teams to make tame games that would earn PG-13 ratings if they were movies. And this is something I just don't understand.smilie

Your game is rated M, so why are you trying to create a game that is suitable for children? We get that many children will want to play your games, but why should adults pay the price because of children's needs? A hard mature game or one that barely qualifies as M is still an M-rated game, so there's no reason to hold back.

More nudity (breasts, penis shots, rear end shots), more violence (more graphic deaths like head bashings, gut cuttings, balls squishings, eye gougings, etc.), more adult themes (like prostitution, sex slavery, depravity, pissing on corpses of your enemies, etc.). I don't know, I just feel like I need real mature entertainment, and with Hollywood going the mass public family friendly route, video games are pretty much the only ones that could truly make something satisfyingly mature (well, maybe television and books could too, but I don't like reading much and TV shows are usually very limited in budget).

To sum up, why does Bioware hold back from going all out in making DA3 a real hard mature game? What reasons do they have to keep it tame, PG-13 feel?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

That second quote... What the gently caress?

edit: "I don't like reading much" :lol:

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 18, 2014

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

the dev's response was pretty good

quote:

We could fill a game with pendulous dwarf penises, sure. Does that make it more mature?

But let's be clear - mature and adult are not the same thing. Gratuitous nudity and violence make something adult, but you'd have a hard time convincing me that it makes it mature.

Or, more concretely - something like 'Depression Quest' is undoubtedly mature due to the themes it explores and the topics it handles. Something like Gears of War, despite the gore and the violence, is 'adult'.

Regardless, as always, we'll make the game we want with the themes we want and the writing we want and not worry too tremendously about where it falls on the rating scale.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Haha yeah if there's one thing Dragon Age has been sorely lacking in it's pissing on corpses and ball squishings.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
I would note that this all came up in May of last year.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
/\/\/\/\/\/\
If I haven't seen it, it's new to me! :iamafag:

Why doesn't he just buy the creepy anime games that SA used to review? Creepy bastard.

the same creepy guy you quoted posted:

Now you're just playing with words. I don't think the ESRB or any other rating organism cares about how content is dealt with when coming up with a rating. An M-rating will be based on certain criteria. All the suggestions I made are all things that would surely give the game a hard M-rating.

As for the word mature, I used it in the sense "adult". If my suggestions are not what would make a game mature, then what would they do? Make it general public? It doesn't matter if you consider it to be in bad taste, gross, useless, or whatever. Entertainment that includes themes I suggested (and in the degree I suggested) are considered to be mature entertainment.

I'm pretty sure it's an auto-correct mistake, although I kind of hope it's not. But it made me laugh.

Bored fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 18, 2014

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Is there more from this guy? I'm dying here.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Lotish posted:

Is there more from this guy? I'm dying here.

Oh hell yeah. Go to the SexGun Rasputin's link. Most replies to him boil down to, "That's gross," and, "I wouldn't buy that game."

I like this reply:

This one from the original guy who wants blood and sex in his dragon age is especially good, too.

"It does if in the world you've created, dwarves don't wear pants! Even though that is not the case with dragon age and I'm just trying to make poo poo up so that I don't look like an idiot! I'm not saying this because I want you to change what you're doing. I'm just saying this so that you will change what you're doing because this is such an awesome idea or so that EA will see this and tell you to change what you're doing."

I imagine that in real life, this guy is intolerable to be around. He's the guy who starts arguments out of nowhere, "playing the devil's advocate" while throwing around random facts he's read, but has misunderstood, to back up his arguments.

Bored fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 19, 2014

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

Sleep of Bronze posted:

I would note that this all came up in May of last year.

yeah but it made the news a few days ago for some reason

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Sexgun Rasputin posted:

I imagine because news releases for DAI thus far have been aggressively bare.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

HenessyHero posted:

I imagine because news releases for DAI thus far have been aggressively bare.

They're keeping things close to the vest, which considering their marketing strategy for DA2 is probably a good idea.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah, if their inversion of publicity is an indicator of game quality, DA:I will literally snap necks from whiplash.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Sexgun Rasputin posted:

Where? The Examiner article is from May last year too. Are the news just playing Human Centipede?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Pattonesque posted:

They're keeping things close to the vest, which considering their marketing strategy for DA2 is probably a good idea.

But I want to learn about The New poo poo :smith:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Lotish posted:

Yeah, if their inversion of publicity is an indicator of game quality, DA:I will literally snap necks from whiplash.

Honestly I think it's going to be at least decent. Bioware needs a win here and they know it, so I feel like they're tamping down on most of the horseshit.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

After the Mass Effect Trilogy and making the mistake of going to the BSN forums I'm nothing but apathetic to that whole series. I want to get into Dragon Age, I starting to get a sword and sorcery setting itch, so hopefully it's gonna be good.

KoB
May 1, 2009

SgtSteel91 posted:

After the Mass Effect Trilogy and making the mistake of going to the BSN forums I'm nothing but apathetic to that whole series. I want to get into Dragon Age, I starting to get a sword and sorcery setting itch, so hopefully it's gonna be good.

Dragon Age Origins is really good!

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

KoB posted:

Dragon Age Origins is really good!

Yeah, it's long as poo poo, too. It also has a pretty variable, text-based ending, so it's not like you're railroaded into some bullshit like with most recent RPGs.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah Origins is a pretty fun game and Dragon Age II is so disconnected from it plot wise that it doesn't ruin it by association. Origins could honestly serve just fine as a standalone game, but I guess Bioware really wanted to have a trilogy. Even though this trilogy doesn't have much of an overarching plot at all.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I mean except that events in DA2 can be exactly and impossibly contrary to events that happen in DAO so. DAO is a great standalone game but if you're going to look at it in context of the entire series, DA2 does manage to poo poo all over just about everything.

Also I dunno what that guy was expecting when Dragon Age fans use the very same BSN forums he didn't like?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

epitasis posted:

Also I dunno what that guy was expecting when Dragon Age fans use the very same BSN forums he didn't like?

If you're referring to me, then it was mostly going to the Mass Effect forums on BSN and getting involved in all of the ending fiasco and arguments about why you were a terrible person for liking/not liking Destroy/Control/Synthesis, which got under my skin.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

epitasis posted:

I mean except that events in DA2 can be exactly and impossibly contrary to events that happen in DAO so. DAO is a great standalone game but if you're going to look at it in context of the entire series, DA2 does manage to poo poo all over just about everything.

I think you're being a bit unfair. Bioware went through the trouble of also making a series of novels, comic books, and an anime that poo poo all over Origins and even DAII (vomit inducing as the thought might be).

SgtSteel91 posted:

If you're referring to me, then it was mostly going to the Mass Effect forums on BSN and getting involved in all of the ending fiasco and arguments about why you were a terrible person for liking/not liking Destroy/Control/Synthesis, which got under my skin.

I really hope there isn't a repeat of that kind of ending for DA3 or worse, a repeat of the reaper-baby final boss vs Morrigan's kid.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Has anyone got a link to the video interview of a very anime club-looking woman who apparently wrote the romances in da2? Because lol if she's still on the team.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

ElrondHubbard posted:

I think you're being a bit unfair. Bioware went through the trouble of also making a series of novels, comic books, and an anime that poo poo all over Origins and even DAII (vomit inducing as the thought might be).
Let's be even more fair; they did the same with Mass Effect. :v: Bioware has a long, illustrious career of making GBS threads precisely where they serve their five-star meals.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Foxhound posted:

Has anyone got a link to the video interview of a very anime club-looking woman who apparently wrote the romances in da2? Because lol if she's still on the team.

Not much to go on to find an interview but no one person wrote all the romance paths in any BioWare game, including DA2. I'm pretty sure that falls under the responsibility of the person writing for that character in general.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Kibayasu posted:

Not much to go on to find an interview but no one person wrote all the romance paths in any BioWare game, including DA2. I'm pretty sure that falls under the responsibility of the person writing for that character in general.

Yeah, I think it was basically that each of the main writers wrote two romances at most.

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

you're probably thinking of jennifer hepler and she left bioware a while ago.

ElrondHubbard posted:

I really hope there isn't a repeat of that kind of ending for DA3 or worse, a repeat of the reaper-baby final boss vs Morrigan's kid.

i don't think it would have the same kind of backlash if they have a lovely ending, the mass effect series maintained a fairly consistent quality throughout and the ending was the rock bottom of the series. the dragon age series already hit rock bottom and kept going, so i think people would forgive a weak ending if the overall quality improves.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah Origins is a pretty fun game and Dragon Age II is so disconnected from it plot wise that it doesn't ruin it by association. Origins could honestly serve just fine as a standalone game, but I guess Bioware really wanted to have a trilogy. Even though this trilogy doesn't have much of an overarching plot at all.

I could have sworn someone at bioware said that Dragon Age wasn't going to be a trilogy.

OzCavalier
Jun 6, 2006

SON OF BITCH!
[LEFT HOOK]

Bored posted:

I could have sworn someone at bioware said that Dragon Age wasn't going to be a trilogy.

They also said that Dragon Age 2 would be "Darker. Sexier. Better." too, and look how THAT turned out....

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Bored posted:

They said it wasn't going to be a trilogy, in the literal sense of the word. Dragon Age was conceived more as an open setting to replace the lost D&D licence. A place they could make as many games as they wanted, connect by a common world, as opposed to Mass Effect which was designed to be a single story told over the course of three games.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Which is funny, because Mass Effect was also designed to be a universe to replace a previously held one. They just elected to go with a trilogy to start it off. I think Dragon Age was always meant to be separate stories, though. I seem to remember a quote about 'you're not going to just be fighting the next blight' or something like that when Dragon Age 2 was first being talked about seriously.

etjester
Jul 14, 2008

[insert text here]

OzCavalier posted:

They also said that Dragon Age 2 would be "Darker. Sexier. Better." too, and look how THAT turned out....

That was PCGamer.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Bored posted:

They're also right, in the sense that there's no trilogy arc that starts with Origin and ends with Inquisition. Also, again, right, because unless Inquisition is a dismal failure, they'll probably keep working on the franchise for a long time.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah I definitely recall that when Origins was released they weren't hyping up the idea of a trilogy. Which is why I was confused when I found out Dragon Age II was going to let you import your save file. That seemed weird to me, I mean if this game is a mostly separate story then why would your choices from Origins have a big enough impact to merit an import?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah I definitely recall that when Origins was released they weren't hyping up the idea of a trilogy. Which is why I was confused when I found out Dragon Age II was going to let you import your save file. That seemed weird to me, I mean if this game is a mostly separate story then why would your choices from Origins have a big enough impact to merit an import?

That was probably a mistake on their part, because it implied much more than they actually had programmed in terms of "your choices matter"

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009
Will we get a refund for purchasing DA2?

I loved Origins, but DA2 was like Highlander 2.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Skippy McPants posted:

They said it wasn't going to be a trilogy, in the literal sense of the word. Dragon Age was conceived more as an open setting to replace the lost D&D licence. A place they could make as many games as they wanted, connect by a common world, as opposed to Mass Effect which was designed to be a single story told over the course of three games.

I don't think Mass Effect was really designed to be a trilogy, just intended to be one. In the sense that they said from the start "We want to make a trilogy" but neglected to plot out anything ahead of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

The Sharmat posted:

I don't think Mass Effect was really designed to be a trilogy, just intended to be one. In the sense that they said from the start "We want to make a trilogy" but neglected to plot out anything ahead of time.

I think ME3 drove the whole, "didn't plot out ahead of time" thing home very clearly.

• Locked thread