Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The Chase?
This poll is closed.
Augh 46 32.39%
gently caress 96 67.61%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

CBJSprague24 posted:

God damnit. I thought they bought up Germain's Fords.

You can blame that clown Austin Dillon for the reason Germain only had one superspeedway Ford to give:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

LASTCAR posted:

You can blame that clown Austin Dillon for the reason Germain only had one superspeedway Ford to give:

Must have been a boring race, check out the people looking into the sun and at the camera.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
It's gonna be hilarious when practice and Duel wrecks obliterate teams that were hoping to string a Daytona start-n-park purse into a full or partial season of LASTCAR money and we end up with 38 cars at "NASCAR Sprint Cup Series May Kansas Race", as it is currently titled on nascar.com, the official website of NASCAR.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

skaboomizzy posted:

It's gonna be hilarious when practice and Duel wrecks obliterate teams that were hoping to string a Daytona start-n-park purse into a full or partial season of LASTCAR money and we end up with 38 cars at "NASCAR Sprint Cup Series May Kansas Race", as it is currently titled on nascar.com, the official website of NASCAR.

Mark Martin will take the fill-in spots to round out the field. All of them. At once. It'll be like those Playstation 2 era NASCAR games where they'd add in a half dozen Busch teams to pad the field and you end up with two Michael Waltrips in the same race.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

Cygni posted:

Blaney / #77 done, team packing up the hauler. No back up, couldn't find anyone willing to loan them one, and car not repairable.

One less car the 40 has to beat!

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
I just realized the Duels aren't until 7pm. The one time I'm actually home on the day of the Duels and they are on at an hour that I could watch when I got home from work. To top it off, I have poo poo to do tonight so I will still have to wait and watch on DVR.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:
Looking at the lineups, and the stats, I think this is the situation in each Duel:

Duel 1
Locked in via qualifying speed: Dillon

Locked in via owner's points and/or qualifying speed: Biffle, Newman, Earnhardt, Jr., Kenseth, Kyle Busch, Stewart,

Not locked in at this point, but may the past champions provisional available: None

Not locked in at this point, but may based on finishing position and/or qualifying speed and/or owner's points: Stenhouse, Jr., Ambrose, Almirola, Logano, Kahne, Harvick, Patrick, Allmendinger, Sorenson, Gilliland, Kligerman, Vickers, Wise, Nemechek, Bowman

Must race in: Whitt, McDowell

Duel 2

Locked in via qualifying speed: Martin Truex, Jr.

Locked in via owner's points and/or qualifying speed and/or past champion's provisional: Edwards, Keselowski, Gordon, Johnson, Bowyer

Not locked in, but may have the past champion's provisional available: Kurt Busch, Terry Labonte, Bobby Labonte

Not locked in, but may based on finishing position and/or owner's points, and/or qualifying speed: Menard, Scott, Mears, Annett, Hamiln, Larson, Bayne, Allgaier, Cassill, Waltrip, McClure, McMurray, Ragan, Ryan Truex

Must race in: Shepherd

The order for the past champion's provisional is: Johnson, Keselowski, Stewart, Kurt Busch, Kenseth, Gordon, Bobby Labonte, Terry Labonte.

And, the actual starting lineup for the 500 will break down like this:

1-2: Pole qualifiers (Dillon, Truex, Jr.)
15-32: Top 15 finishers in each Duel, excluding Dillon and Truex, Jr. Duel 1 finishers will line up in the odd starting positions, and Duel 2 finishers in the even starting positions.
33-36: The four fastest cars from qualifying who did not race their way in via the Duels
37-42: The six highest ranked cars from last season's owner's points who did not race their way in, or get in via speed.
43: Past champion's provisional: If all past champions race in, or get in via speed, or owner's points, the 43rd position will go to the highest-ranked car from last season's owner's points who has not already made the field.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

http://msn.foxsports.com/buzzer/story/smoke-picks-the-wrong-person-to-get-petty-with-over-danica-022014

Fun article I wanted to share.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

Finally someone's saying it!

quote:

“If he wants to race her, I'll make sure they have the exact same setup in the car and give him a chance,” Stewart said.

haha Yeah, I'd take that to the bank.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Smoke is not only the biggest bullshitter in NASCAR, but he makes an idiot of himself when he does it.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
People sucking Petty's cock over his 200 wins is the same as people thinking Danica is great driver. Tony Stewart may be a bullshitter and a corporate shill these days but I think his resume is better than Petty's when looked at objectively. He's a much better driver than Petty.

However, what Petty said is true. I'm just commenting on the article comparing Petty and Stewart.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

front wing flexing posted:

People sucking Petty's cock over his 200 wins is the same as people thinking Danica is great driver. Tony Stewart may be a bullshitter and a corporate shill these days but I think his resume is better than Petty's when looked at objectively. He's a much better driver than Petty.

However, what Petty said is true. I'm just commenting on the article comparing Petty and Stewart.

This more or less. Also, wanna point out how clueless the author is.

quote:

“He can drive one of my 14 cars.”

Heck, why not fill the other 13 with Pearson, Yarbrough, Bobby Allison, Junior Johnson, the ghost of Fireball Roberts and any other 76-year-old they can find?

Hey NASCAR pro writer, Smoke's car is #14, his team has more than 14 cars you mouthbreathing loving halfwit.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

VikingSkull posted:

This more or less. Also, wanna point out how clueless the author is.

Hey NASCAR pro writer, Smoke's car is #14, his team has more than 14 cars you mouthbreathing loving halfwit.

I couldn't get that far into that article because my eyes were rolled so far in the back of my head.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
It's a really terrible piece. Any honest race fan will tell you straight out Smoke and Petty are at least peers in terms of accomplishments. 7 championships and 200 wins doesn't sniff Tony's career totals. People forget Petty only ran Cup (and a few drag races) in his career. So his legacy is only that. A dude like Smoke, on paper, is automatically a better driver, just in numbers alone. Since that's the metric the author uses, he's not even correct in that.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

VikingSkull posted:

It's a really terrible piece. Any honest race fan will tell you straight out Smoke and Petty are at least peers in terms of accomplishments. 7 championships and 200 wins doesn't sniff Tony's career totals. People forget Petty only ran Cup (and a few drag races) in his career. So his legacy is only that. A dude like Smoke, on paper, is automatically a better driver, just in numbers alone. Since that's the metric the author uses, he's not even correct in that.

Indycar (IRL) was also no joke far more dangerous back when Smoke ran too.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

front wing flexing posted:

Indycar (IRL) was also no joke far more dangerous back when Smoke ran too.

yeah, but it was also had a significantly weaker field

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Inexperienced yokels going 225. The IRL, folks.

His Triple Crown is his best accomplishment, IMO. He won it all back when USAC was still a popular and televised thing, against stiff competition. It's loving amazing.

Also, he's started exactly one supermodified race and one big block modified race and he has one career supermod win and one career big block mod win.

e- also a reminder that Petty forced someone off the road in a fit of road rage

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 20, 2014

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

VikingSkull posted:

Also, he's started exactly one supermodified race and one big block modified race and he has one career supermod win and one career big block mod win.

gently caress you. Richard Petty getting wins against guys with 1/100th the money: loving bitch cheater gently caress him. Tony Stewart doing the same thing: Greatest of all time.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Nope, sorry. Guys like Brett Hearn spend millions on their big block teams. It ain't the 60's.

Plus in both those races Stewart just jumped in an existing ride, wasn't his poo poo.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Yeah and there were guys in the 60s who spent money on their NASCAR teams.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Peanut President posted:

Yeah and there were guys in the 60s who spent money on their NASCAR teams.

Not Petty/Dodge/plymouth money.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
guys like David Pearson who didn't run full time yet consistently beat Petty lmao

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

some good debates going on in this thread right now.

I love it when we discuss history.

VikingSkull posted:

Inexperienced yokels going 225. The IRL, folks.

His Triple Crown is his best accomplishment, IMO. He won it all back when USAC was still a popular and televised thing, against stiff competition. It's loving amazing.

e- also a reminder that Petty forced someone off the road in a fit of road rage

His only true asterisks to me is he's not won Indy or Daytona.

Dude needs to cross those off his bucket list of accomplishments.

Aside from that, dude is one of most mega-talented drivers in his generation.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i like racing

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Cygni posted:

i like racing

I don't. That's why I watch NASCAR.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

gret posted:

:iceburn:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

gret posted:

:slick:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

gret posted:

Nice one.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

FuzzySkinner posted:

His only true asterisks to me is he's not won Indy or Daytona.

Dude needs to cross those off his bucket list of accomplishments.
Yes, then he would be immortalized with such prestigious names as Sterling Marlon, Ward Burton, Michael Waltrip, Trevor Bayne, and - the legend himself - Derrick Cope.

I enjoy watching Daytona, but I consider winning it to actually be LESS prestigious than any other racetrack.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Harveygod posted:

Yes, then he would be immortalized with such prestigious names as Sterling Marlon, Ward Burton, Michael Waltrip, Trevor Bayne, and - the legend himself - Derrick Cope.

I enjoy watching Daytona, but I consider winning it to actually be LESS prestigious than any other racetrack.

Don't you be dissing Derrike Cope now. :colbert:

Seriously, it's on the checklist though. Dale and Darrell both felt their careers were incomplete without a win there.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Mark Martin tried to be aw shucks when he got nipped at the line in '07, but you know he was dying inside.

And the writer missing the 14 cars reference. :laffo:

gret posted:

:tviv:

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

Harveygod posted:

I have to wonder if that's the real driving force behind the new Chase format, to make winning the 500 actually mean something since it's the first guaranteed Chase entry spot now.

Exi7wound
Aug 22, 2004

LOGANO
Remember my name... you'll be screaming it later.
Start your engines, eh? That's wicked awesome.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Harveygod posted:

Yes, then he would be immortalized with such prestigious names as Sterling Marlon, Ward Burton

If you're gonna poo poo talk Sterling Marlin and Ward Burton we're gonna have to ask you to leave, sir.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

VikingSkull posted:

Not quite.
http://www.ismasupers.com/index.php/results/results-archive/182-june29-02-cayuga

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

This new loving ticker can suck it. Why change that but keep your gawdy as gently caress crank it up graphic?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

aaaagh dammit

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

JGR ownzone :cool:

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010
Dang I missed Duel 1... although if the Duels were during the day I would've missed them both :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

fuseshock posted:

Dang I missed Duel 1... although if the Duels were during the day I would've missed them both :unsmith:

I was in a panic that my clients break room didn't have a TV but then I read the start times.

• Locked thread