Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
This game really has some neat little touches - in the middle of hitting peak JRPG in the Yusnaan storyline, you need to do some stuff in the arena. The best little touch is that when you win some fights in there, the audience sings the FF victory theme. :3:

Semi-spoiler if you care about that type of thing: http://youtu.be/j_Q0FFrwdqw?t=44s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Snakeskin Cowboy Hat is the best. :colbert:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

tonedef131 posted:

Oh so if they aren't all done by the end of day 7 I just lose the game?

The bosses get buffed after day seven.

Refused
Sep 6, 2005
Is there any semi-reliable way to find the rare forge guy or is it just dumb luck?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
God, the Last One weapons aren't just coloured hot pink, they actually ignore all in-engine lighting and are fully lit at all times. So even if you try to colour an outfit to coordinate with a hot pink sword it'll still clash if you're somewhere with any unusual lighting.

Who thought this was a good idea?!

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Fedule posted:

God, the Last One weapons aren't just coloured hot pink, they actually ignore all in-engine lighting and are fully lit at all times. So even if you try to colour an outfit to coordinate with a hot pink sword it'll still clash if you're somewhere with any unusual lighting.

There has to be some downside to them.

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009

Fedule posted:

Someone who both had a blast coming up with the dissonance between actively wiping a species out for the sole purpose of getting a cool item and who is probably not getting paid nearly as much as they should be for coming up with the idea.

I am half expecting Gilgamesh to somehow find his way out of the Void and be equipped with nothing but Last One Weapons, as the best optional superboss of all time. :unsmigghh:

On a different note, I'm kind of torn between starting over to day 1 on easy from normal, because I only now (sort of) figured out how to not be an idiot with EP usage. It seems like normal is, well, just there for tedium, considering you unlock hard and new game plus regardless of difficulty. Maybe I'm just not getting timing on perfect dodge and perfect chaining right, but up to day 3 (with a surprisingly rare weapon drop right before getting my rear end kicked by Noel) it feels like I might actually run out of time just trying to explore and the like.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Unless you are extraordinarily terrible at managing time, you will not run out. I finished every main and (available) side quest by Day 8, and had five days to do Canvas of Prayers quests and in general just fart around (most of it was spent listening to Biggs and Wedge play FFVI's Terra's theme in Yusnaan). Hell, the last day and a half I just slept through because I had literally nothing left to do.

The clock will never truly limit you in any way,

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
That's a relief. Time to go back to driving things to extinction for fun and profit, then! The street performers, though, are an amazing distraction. I actually did a double take when I heard Matoya's Cave. If nothing else, its a good reason to buy the soundtrack when it gets out.

Kind of wasted a lot of time running around looking for the Outerworld NPCs. I don't think I'm supposed to be able to get weapons or accessories that are over 10,000 gil on day one. Shame I won't be finding that cool looking lance for a while, unless its in a shop somewhere later on.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

LegionAreI posted:

This game really has some neat little touches - in the middle of hitting peak JRPG in the Yusnaan storyline, you need to do some stuff in the arena. The best little touch is that when you win some fights in there, the audience sings the FF victory theme. :3:

Semi-spoiler if you care about that type of thing: http://youtu.be/j_Q0FFrwdqw?t=44s

I played that part of the story with my sound low, so I completely missed that. :( Hopefully that happens with the optional fights as well. Really cool, though!

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

LegionAreI posted:

I can only hope that's not you who posted the pic to Outerworld with 'PERFECT BOOBS' in that video.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I got lucky and found someone selling an Elixir for 360,000 gil. Instant trophy! Then, since I saved before, I could just reload my save to lose the Elixir and reclaim my gil once again. Maybe kind of cheap, but I think that searching for Soul Seeds is one of the grindiest parts of the game... and I killed all but four last ones before the optional dungeon.

Being able to level up weapons in Hard Mode is kind of nice.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Tempo 119 posted:

I had a lot of luck just inside the "sneaking in" door in the industrial area, down the first set of metal stairs. It's not worth wiping them all out though, if that's what you're doing.

Thanks this was a big help! Now everything before the final dungeon is exterminated!

On the topic of good places for murder, there are triple spawns of cactuars over by the lighthouse with Zamond.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I can only hope that's not you who posted the pic to Outerworld with 'PERFECT BOOBS' in that video.

Not my video or my screenshot, thankfully!

Also, if you have any of the pre-order or DLC costumes easy mode is super-duper easy. If you're thinking of starting over or whatever, or just want to breeze through it, keep that in mind.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Fedule posted:

I went through the entire population of Cyclopses trying to take a good photo, had to settle for this last attempt before they went extinct and the Last One colouring on the sword and monster makes it kind of unintelligible :(

If you find it in the world though, you can buy the Bonecracker :v:

Edit: there's a bulletin on the title screen saying there's a problem with the Cloud DLC gear not showing up in the 360 version, has anyone experienced this? That's the version I'm on and it works for me. When I saw the big red "Graphics Issue" title I thought it would be about how Desert Sahagins completely murder the framerate.

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 20, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fedule posted:

This was an amazing idea, what are you talking about?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Coughing Hobo posted:

Unless you are extraordinarily terrible at managing time, you will not run out. I finished every main and (available) side quest by Day 8, and had five days to do Canvas of Prayers quests and in general just fart around (most of it was spent listening to Biggs and Wedge play FFVI's Terra's theme in Yusnaan). Hell, the last day and a half I just slept through because I had literally nothing left to do.

The clock will never truly limit you in any way,

This is 100% true. I was freaking out about every hour early on in the game, as you can tell from a few posts in this thread. But I finished every main quest by Day 7 with no problems.

Really the reviews for this game are ridiculous. So many of them complaining about the time system and how it ruins it, I'm not exactly sure they played the game all the way through.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
As with games like Dead Rising and Majora's Mask, the countdown adds a sense of emergency. It doesn't work for every game, but it works very well in LR, if you ask me. And, as we've mentioned before, it's incredibly easy to bypass the clock by abusing Chronostasis. And there's NG+. There's literally no good reason to be so stressed over the time limit when there are so many possibilities to get around it: adding time by doing missions, freezing time with Chronostasis, or using NG+ to restart time.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Urgh I don't know what I've been doing wrong with my Schemata towards the end but I couldn't make a dent in either of the optional bosses and I just finished off the final boss with literally 1 battle point, zero stars. Here's what I've got (first playthrough, normal difficulty):

Physical schema:
~3000 STR
Attack, Artemis' Arrows and Counterblow

Magic schema:
~2500 MAG
Elemental gear according to who's around (eg. weak against thunder = Electronica, Thunder+, Thundara, Auto-Enthunder)
Witch's Rosary (+ATB to other schemata when casting spells)
Quick Stagger
Ruin

Defense schema:
100% resistance to either physical or magic damage (using Ghostly/Preta Hood, so no STR/MAG)
Gagnrad (+ATB)
Knight's Pledge (+15,000 HP, moderate guard def)
Heavy Guard, Deprotect, Deshell, Imperil

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Tempo 119 posted:

I couldn't make a dent in either of the optional bosses

Spoilered for strategy: then you're not staggering quickly or frequently enough. IIRC, you have to stagger both of them like 4 times within a short period of time in order to actually start damaging it at a decent pace. Also, actually damaging it is tough, but once they've been staggered they lose their resistance to poison. Chug ethers and abuse overdrive to stagger.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Tempo 119 posted:

I went through the entire population of Cyclopses trying to take a good photo, had to settle for this last attempt before they went extinct and the Last One colouring on the sword and monster makes it kind of unintelligible :(

If you find it in the world though, you can buy the Bonecracker :v:

Edit: there's a bulletin on the title screen saying there's a problem with the Cloud DLC gear not showing up in the 360 version, has anyone experienced this? That's the version I'm on and it works for me. When I saw the big red "Graphics Issue" title I thought it would be about how Desert Sahagins completely murder the framerate.

Trying to get a really great Cyclops taint shot?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Alright, I'm STILL not going to get this game, but just from watching three livestreams of it (all three at different stages of the game), let me see if I got this straight?

Your ideal set up should consist of two attacking schema's and one purely defensive schema. One of the garbs should be Soldier of Peace, because Artemis' Arrows is "GG GAME". your other two commands for that schema can be whatever, but I guess you want Attack and maybe a Guard? The other offensive Schema, that I've seen, should be your Magic guy, and should have at least three -ra spells, because the -aga spells have always sucked in this series, and I'm surprised there are people who haven't realized this yet. The fourth command can be, again, whatever.

The purely defensive schema should have the Preta Hood and Ghostly Hood equipped so that they can just absolutely ignore any attack in the game. This schema's set up should be about debuffing: Deshell, Deprotect, and Imperil, because apparently Poison is really good. The fourth command should be A Guard of some kind, preferably Heroic Guard, Heavy Guard, or just plain Guard.

The strategy here is to use the defensive setup to debuff, then switch to Magic setup and other offensive set up to Stagger, and whenever the enemy attacks switch to your defensive set up so you can laugh at his clumsy attempts to attack you. Based on this, the best schemas are therefore: Soldier of Peace, some magic schema/a defensive schema that you can make into your magic schema/Paladin, and either Passion Rouge/Sand Fox for the innate debuffs.

Is this right? I'm still not actually going to get get the game, but just from observing, this seems to be what you should be aiming for.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You can only have one of Preta or Ghostly equipped at a time. So you can be immune to physical or magical attacks but not both and it requires a specific schema. However that is still a fairly effective defensive schema.

Otherwise, yes, those are all pretty good selections although they're not the only viable choice. Artemis Arrows is probably the easiest massive-damage-dealing setup to do but there are quite a few others you can fool with which have their own advantages and don't deal with Soldier of Peace's relatively slow ATB rate and crap starting ATB. Artemis Arrows is good because it is a huge amount of damage is one solid chunk but there are DPS options which are also very viable.

Defensive-wise, there are some people who swear by Evade over the pure-tank build especially since it lets you avoid some attacks that a pure tank build can't avoid normally. It involves better timing but can be extremely powerful. You've also get Mediguard or whatever shenanigans if you so desire.

Magic is, again, fairly flexible. You can go for mixed spells, non-element spells, imperil or just the -a tier spells and all are pretty viable depending on your preferences. The ideal method is to rearrange your abilities based on the enemy you are facing but that is obviously pretty time consuming.

The build there is not necessarily the very best build (though it may be) but it's an overall powerful build for relatively little effort.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 21, 2014

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Why are you dissecting strategies for a game that you say, twice in one post, that you are "still not going to get."

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

mikeraskol posted:

Why are you dissecting strategies for a game that you say, twice in one post, that you are "still not going to get."

The internet is a strange place.

I'm enjoying this quite a bit so far. It's hardly without flaws, but I've got to respect Square for breaking the mold so much in making it, especially because, as I understand it, XIII-2 and 3 mostly just exist to reuse stuff from XIII and recoup some costs from that. It's a pretty memorable game, which is more than I'll ever be able to say for XIII-2.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

mikeraskol posted:

I'm 20 hours in and he's already better than me at this game, without ever playing it.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Because that's the kind of rear end in a top hat I am. I like strategizing, min/maxing, in depth stuff like lore, mechanics, poo poo like that. Even a game I dislike (and I do dislike this game, holy poo poo I do, from what I've seen so far) I'll still try to do these things. I'm not proud of it, but I can't help myself.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
I don't get the stagger system. I thought I did, but I really don't get it.

SO I'm on Day 10, trying to kill Earth Eaters to fully explore Dead Dunes. I've been told to "spam Aeroa" to stagger them. It doesn't work. Every time it gets them to the middle color, and then quickly drains back to nothing. I'm sure I'm missing something really obvious here but how the hell am I supposed to beat these guys?

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Why did they not call this game "Lightning Strikes Back"?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

ShadeofDante posted:

SO I'm on Day 10, trying to kill Earth Eaters to fully explore Dead Dunes. I've been told to "spam Aeroa" to stagger them. It doesn't work. Every time it gets them to the middle color, and then quickly drains back to nothing. I'm sure I'm missing something really obvious here but how the hell am I supposed to beat these guys?

Yellow is not the middle colour. Yellow is just the "yes, that thing you just did was the Right Thing™" colour. When you do the thing you get a brief flash of yellow regardless of the actual stagger value. The actual stagger meter is the one that starts out blue then turns red.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

ShadeofDante posted:

The trick is Aerora on 2 schemas, and even galestrike on your stabby one. Stack all that wind and they will stagger easilly.

How the gently caress do I extinction chimera's in the final dungeon? I just finished the trials, all that's left is the door and I have yet to see a chimera spawn as a random battle. Is there more dungeon beyond that door? Because it sure sounds like there isn't.
Edit: Found it!

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 21, 2014

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well, it's a bit off-putting to get a trophy for sending several species of monsters extinct. But I got a lot of pink dudes today.

Started out eradicating Chocobo Eaters with my buddy Choco. While we were doing that we wiped out the Ectopuddings and Goblins. Magenta Chocobo Eater looks loving wacky. Didn't realise he was the example in the picture for the Datalog about Last Ones. The silly face is so much more apparent when it's bright pink.

Then I decided to go do the quest for drops from Zaltyses and Cyclopes. Was only going to get five each but then I discovered that the tiny room you fight a Zaltys in in the tutorial spawns nothing but them, so I wiped them out too.

Pity really, they're amazing fun to fight if you go for their gimmicks. Very Monster Hunter for the Zaltys, a bit Revengeance for the Cyclops. Oh, and I got the ridiculous damage trophy while battering the Last Cyclops.

Anyway, tomorrow the skeletons are going away forever. Might wipe out those dumb cats as well.

Also, got a question. I seem to be missing one of the teleporters in the Dead Dunes. I heard the optional dungeon is in that area, is there one I there I'm missing or are they all in the main desert?

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
All the teleporters are either in the desert proper or the ruins you visit in the main storyline. I'd bet you're missing the teleporter for "Ruins - South Gate" which requires you to go up a passageway near a big gated-off area.

ShadeofDante posted:

Keep in mind that some of the stagger mechanics of the previous two games are still in play, albeit to a lesser degree. Basically, abilities that make the stagger wave go faster (elemental magic, beat down, the like), won't keep it wavering for long. Conversely, magic that hardly makes the wave move, helps stabilize it (ruin, attack, the like). If you have enough MA/good enough Aero magic, you can stagger Earth Eaters with just Aero straight, but if you're a little weaker, or your magic isn't very good, you might want to stabilize the wave with ruin between Aeros.

Systematic System fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 21, 2014

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

The Grimace posted:

I just want to reiterate this. Had a big goofy grin on my face through the whole thing. It's what I expected for the end of the Final Fantasy XIII series, so it's fitting. And as cheesy and ridiculous as it was, it was still 500x better than Mass Effect 3's ending.

As a whole, definitely enjoyed the game. I'll work on doing all of the stuff I passed some other time. Definitely need a short break from the game before I try doing more hunting.

Quoting this old post because I just beat it and it basically sums up my feelings. I enjoyed this game quite a bit, although probably not as much as the other 2. I am hoping ff15 leans more towards this than kingdom hearts though!

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Gologle posted:

Because that's the kind of rear end in a top hat I am. I like strategizing, min/maxing, in depth stuff like lore, mechanics, poo poo like that. Even a game I dislike (and I do dislike this game, holy poo poo I do, from what I've seen so far) I'll still try to do these things. I'm not proud of it, but I can't help myself.

This is the weirdest loving post and I have no idea what to even say in response.

In other news, if you get the extra day, which day is the one you are supposed to do the optional dungeon? Would that be day 12?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mikeraskol posted:

This is the weirdest loving post and I have no idea what to even say in response.

In other news, if you get the extra day, which day is the one you are supposed to do the optional dungeon? Would that be day 12?

Day 13. You'll get a very very obvious popup about it and you can't miss it.

The explanation for it is so hilarious too. It turns out that those missing 2 hours from every other day have mysterious returned because you're so good at granting wishes!!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I have a conundrum with this game. From the demo I can tell you that I love everything artistic about it. The visuals, the environments, the music. All superb. I had the same reaction to the other two XIII games. It's like, the part of Square-Enix in charge of aesthetics is totally doing everything right…it's just the core gameplay and core writing team need to get kicked into a different department.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm actually surprised at how good the game-play is for LR. It didn't twig for me in the demo, though. It's just Character Action games had a baby with Final Fantasy and this is probably the best way to mix those two that isn't Kingdom Hearts.

The story sure is a thing that someone did, put it that way.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Speedball posted:

I have a conundrum with this game. From the demo I can tell you that I love everything artistic about it. The visuals, the environments, the music. All superb. I had the same reaction to the other two XIII games. It's like, the part of Square-Enix in charge of aesthetics is totally doing everything right…it's just the core gameplay and core writing team need to get kicked into a different department.

The core gameplay is awesome, and easily one of the best of the franchise. The story is still a Final Fantasy XIII story, so if you weren't tolerant of it before, nothing's going to change now.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

PunkBoy posted:

The core gameplay is awesome, and easily one of the best of the franchise. The story is still a Final Fantasy XIII story, so if you weren't tolerant of it before, nothing's going to change now.

I'm not actively offended by bad stories, I usually just love to do mental post-mortems on them to figure out how it could have been better. So then I might actually like this game. The demo doesn't give you more than a tiny taste of what the real action is like, I take it? I didn't have more than some small monsters and one boss to try everything out on.

• Locked thread