Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well, sure, that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Horza is ready to fight!

And I'm always ready to run fights; I'm up for commissionering.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Alright, Doc Strangle is ready to see the next patient.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Junai is ready!

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
And, with that...

:siren: THE SEMIFINAL MATCHES ARE NOW SET!!! :siren:

1st Match
Horza (Male Troll managed by ZeeToo)
=== vs ===
roctavian (Male Serpent Man managed by Clockwork Gadget)

2nd Match
Junai (Female Werewolf managed by TurninTrix)
=== vs ===
Dr Stranglelove (Male Strangler managed by Anchors)

The winners of each match will face each other for the championship!

The losers of each match will face each other for the bronze medal!

:siren: You may now place your bets! Best of luck to everyone! :siren:

We'll wait a few days for everyone to place bets. I have to travel for work from Feb 11-16 and will probably not be able to run matches during that time, but if enough bets are placed between now and Feb. 10th to make things exciting, I'll try to run a match before I travel.

Although I guess I might in theory be able to run a match on the road, but my laptop really, really sucks :sadwave:

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 8, 2014

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

I'm not even in this anymore, you dummy, so no, you can't. You are that much of a failure at this. :rolleyes:

I don't... I don't even know what is happening anymore. Sheer denial wasn't the defense I was expecting.

Edit: two big guys, two little guys. I would say this tournament and spending points are well balanced.

Edit: my 1404 has been against you, Zeetoo.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 8, 2014

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
:siren: All my funds have been placed on Horza. :siren:

It's no fun to just sit on a lead. Let's keep things lively!

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Bad Munki, you made your success betting on Dr. Stranglelove last time. I think we can all admit he had a good run but his luck has almost certainly run out. You should totally bet everything on the other dude.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm going to stick with my betting strategy thus far: wait until everyone else bets, look for the biggest payout, go all in. I mean, what's the point of getting second?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

I'm going to stick with my betting strategy thus far: wait until everyone else bets, look for the biggest payout, go all in. I mean, what's the point of getting second?

If you lose you will finish below me.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

No, I'll lose better than you. When it comes to doing things better than you, I can't lose. :colbert:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Are we gonna have a season three as soon as season 2 wraps up? I've been following this thread and would like to throw my hat into the ring with a competitor.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Jon Joe posted:

Are we gonna have a season three as soon as season 2 wraps up? I've been following this thread and would like to throw my hat into the ring with a competitor.

Dammit, now you guys have to go and put me on the spot. :sigh:

Well... okay, then, I'll go ahead and commit to it. There WILL be another season after this one.

One little spergy nerd note for all you detail-oriented nerds like myself: it will actually be season 5, not season 3. There were three full seasons in the first LP thread, not just one! :argh: So forgive me if I reserve the right to rage about that fact, just like some nerds like to rage that Final Fantasy III was really Final Fantasy 6, because Square Enix tried to hide the fact that there were three other games in their little franchise that didn't get published in the good old U.S. of A. and yada yada yada I think you see what I'm getting at... Vox did a wonderful amazing job on these threads but he did get that one little detail (Season 4 vs. Season 2) wrong.

And the new thread might not be posted immediately after this one, since I plan to update the arena website code and the underlying data model to support some bigger stuff first. And also I'll be closing on my first home right around the time this tournament ends, which will take even more time. Look for the new season in mid-to-late March or early April.

But, with all that said, there WILL be a season FIVE after this.

:colbert: :pipe:

:siren: EDIT: ALSO: MORE BETTING ON THE SEMIFINALS! DON'T MAKE ME CROSS-POST TO THE GAMES THREAD! :siren:

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Feb 8, 2014

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
Shiniest fish in the sea!
This makes me happy. I kinda messed up pretty bad on this tournament and would like to give it another shot. Jazzimus has been doing a great job with the remainder of this tournament but having a bunch of people run fights would make things interesting. Hopefully if we get enough people writing matches we can get tournaments done in a fairly quick pace as well. Maybe somebody could run a smallish tournament to bridge the time between this one ending and the new one beginning? This is assuming that Jazzimus is okay with it of course. I know ZeeToo ran a fun mini tournament before (and I'm not just saying that because I won it).

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I'd love to bet, but a certain CRIME DOG lost me all my GODAMN MONEY <:mad:>

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
I'm going to try to run the first semifinal match Monday night, since I'll be getting on a plane Tuesday, so...

LAST CHANCE TO GET BETS IN FOR THE HORZA VS. ROCTAVIAN MATCH!

Arena Challenge members, bet here!
http://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/place_bet.php?4

Non-members, register so you can bet at that same link posted above!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

F it, I went all in against ZeeToo. Sorry other betters: I'm taking half his money if we win this. And if we lose, well...we lose. :getin:

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Now that's the spirit! Keep the bets coming! First semifinal fight coming sometime in the next 24 hours!

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
My usual strategy is to bet against the odds, just to make the payout bigger on the off chance (and it's paid off often enough to be worth it). But Adamantine Armor vs a Werewolf? I have to go all in on the Adamantine, despite the lower payout. To make up for it, I'll reserve 1000 of my cash to bet on roctavian for the payout.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Iunnrais posted:

I'll reserve 1000 of my cash

Wuss.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Okay, I didn't get the first match done in time :ohdear: but I did get the stuff moved over to my laptop so I should be able to run one of the matches from the hotel in the next couple of days.

This does mean that there will be a little more time to get bets in, if anyone still hasn't done so.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Oh man when did this thread get resuscitated? :swoon: Good to see things back in action, I'll have to keep this bookmarked.

Also I put my depressingly small number of dorfbux on Horza. Win so I can put marginally more dorfbux on the final!

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

ChickenWing posted:

Also I put my depressingly small number of dorfbux on Horza. Win so I can put marginally more dorfbux on the final!

Liar. :colbert:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Whoops. I knew it was that matchup, but I'd forgotten which one so I made my best guess.

Speaking of Horza, was the name inspired by the main character of Consider Phlebas?

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

I do want a stake in both matches, and together, I'm betting the farm. Come on, give me a break...

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug
All in. Goodbye, dorfbux :byewhore:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Picks seem surprisingly effective for an improvised weapon.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Dorf world is a cruel and brutal place where grace and technique play little role. If it has a sharp edge or a pointy bit, and weighs a lot, it's a good weapon.

(I'm saying this as somebody who picked a skill-reliant kobold so I'm clearly an authority)

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
:siren: Semifinals, Match One :siren:

Match One, Horza (ZeeToo) vs. roctavian (Clockwork Gadget)

Hello again and WELCOME to another edition of Arena Challenge, live from Dwarfhalla Square Garden, in front of an over-capacity crowd of 22,189 fans here tonight! I'm Gorilla Monsoon, alongside with my colleague Jesse "The Body" Ventura!

And Bobby the Brain couldn't make this one tonight, but he wanted me to let everyone know that he wishes the worst to Roctavian for shattering his dreams.

I don't care what Bobby wants to say. Let's have a look at the fighters!

Sure, let's do that.

Over in the left corner, Horza the troll is managed by ZeeToo, and has become the first unarmed fighter in Arena history to reach the tournament semifinals! He doesn't have a weapon, but he's wearing a steel cap beneath an adamantine helm, a copper mail shirt and a steel mail shirt beneath a steel breastplate, a pair of iron gauntlets, a set of platinum greaves, and a pair of steel high boots!

That's a great set of protection all around, Gino, except for the platinum on the upper legs, where he went for style over substance! But will it be enough to win without a weapon?

We'll find that out tonight, Jess! In the right corner, Roctavian the Serpent Man, managed by Clockwork Gadget, has the distinction of being by FAR the smallest fighter in Arena history to reach the semifinals in a one-on-one tournament! He wields a silver warhammer in one hand and an iron buckler in the other, and wears a bronze helm, two sets of bronze mail shirts, and a pair of bronze gauntlets!

And even though armor is cheaper for the smaller guys, he's actually less protected than his opponent! But that hammer of his is designed to hurt people right through their armor, even armor as good as Horza's, so he certainly has what it takes to win this as long as he can strike early and often! And remember, this guy did beat Dies Horribly, whom a lot of people -- not just Bobby Heenan -- had picked to win this tournament!

And there's the bell, and the fighters are off!

Roctavian is a little faster out of the gate, Jess.

Yeah, and that's because of those heavy platinum pants that Horza is wearing. Now I of all people can certainly understand the need to show off in front of a crowd, but it would be a shame if that causes you to lose a match this deep into the tournament.

As the foes meet in the center of the arena, Roctavian swings his hammer upwards at Horza's face! Horza jumps back out of the way to avoid the worst of it, but one of his protruding lower cuspids is knocked right out of his mouth!

"Protruding lower cuspids"? It's called a tusk, Gino. Warthogs, elephants, and trolls all have them. That's a very good start for the snakeman, and he'd better make the most of it, since he's at a tremendous size disadvantage here.

Horza lowers his head and charges at Roctavian, but the serpent man jumps away!

Roctavian swings his hammer at Horza again, but the big troll manages to duck out of the way just in time!

Pretty good moves there for a big guy.

Horza charges at Roctavian again! The serpentman ducks out of the way of the horns, but gets knocked to the ground as the troll runs right into him!

And it looks like Roctavian is stunned from the impact there, Gino!

Horza grabs Roctavian's weapon hand and goes for a wristlock!

This could be trouble right here!

Roctavian shakes out the cobwebs and slips away before any damage can be done, but he's still on the ground! Horza tries to gore him again, but Roctavian rolls out of the way!

This is the classic huge guy versus little guy tactic, where the big guy tries to knock the little guy on his back! Roctavian is one of the most elusive guys in the history of the arena, but if Horza can force him to keep fighting from the ground, then the big guy will continue to have the advantage!

Roctavian gets back up, just in time to be knocked over again by another charge from Horza!

And the troll is going for the wrist again, Gino!

You're right, Jess, as Horza grabs Roctavian's wrist again and twists it! The volar radiocarpal ligament is hyperextended, and one of the metacarpals is slightly fractured!

Yeah, and I think he sprained the little guy's wrist and broke a bone there too! But the snake guy managed to hold on to his hammer!

Roctavian struggles back to his feet...

That's the snakeman's tail, not his feet, Gino. Snakemen don't have feet. I thought you were supposed to be the anatomy expert here.

...Back to his tail, rather, and Horza charges and gores Roctavian in the chest, knocking him over once again!

Horza tries to grab Roctavian again while he's down, but Roctavian counters and bashes the troll in the arm with his hammer!

But the little snake guy needs more than that to get back in this! That hammer strike didn't hit square, it glanced off of Horza's armor and only left a pretty bad bruise!

Roctavian gets back up, and the enemies circle each other... and Horza charges and knocks the little guy down again! The troll punches the snakeman right in the chest!

That looks like it might have caused a nasty bruise even through all that armor, Gino!

Roctavian gets up again just to be knocked down yet again! Again, the snakeman gets up, and is knocked back down again!

And it looks like Horza is going for a joint lock on that weapon arm again!

Horza grabs the upper part of roctavian's weapon arm in one hand and the lower part of the arm in the other, and twists! Roctavian's radial collateral ligament and annular ligament are both hyperextended, and the synovial hinge joint is dislocated!

But in spite of all those big words you just made up, Gino, the little snake guy is still holding on to his hammer! But his elbow looks to be in pretty bad shape!

As Roctavian gingerly gets back up to his, uh... tail, Horza charges yet again, knocking down the snakeman once more!

And now the little snake guy's trapped in the south corner of the ring, Gino!

Horza grabs Roctavian's left hand and twists! The dorsal radiocarpal ligament is hyperextended, and the metacarpals are shattered! Then Horza backs off, charges again, and gores the prone serpentman through his armor, bruising his abdomen!

You know, Gino, this was a hell of a run by Roctavian. No other fighter this small has ever gotten this far in a one-on-one arena tournament. He's made all of the kobolds and gremlins and other little guys proud. But it always seems like the size differential gets back to the little guys, and it looks like that's what's happening here tonight.

Roctavian finally passes out from the terrible pain from the broken bones and torn ligaments!

And it's pretty much academic at this point. Even without a weapon, Horza can press his advantage here, and Roctavian can't fight back.

With Roctavian passed out, Horza punches and gores him in the head over and over and over, and finally, FINALLY, mercifully, the little guy's head is smashed to a pulp beneath his helm! Horza is victorious!

And so Horza, the unarmed troll, advances to the finals!

Somewhere, Bobby "The Brain" Heenan is smiling tonight, Gino.

That's true, Jess, because that's just the sort of vindictive son of a bitch he is. There's no doubt he's happy to see the guy who beat his guy go down.

This means that Dr. Stranglelove is the last great hope for the little guys. He may not be quite as small as Roctavian, but he's still smaller than a human or a dwarf or an elf, and nobody that small has ever made it to the finals in a one-on-one tournament yet.

Good point. And so for Jesse Ventura, this is Gorilla Monsoon, saying goodnight from Dwarfhalla Square Garden, where Horza has defeated Roctavian!

Combat Log

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Feb 21, 2014

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
:toot: Can't wait to see who the last person I need to pound to death is.

What sort of totals did previous betting winners get? I'm curious how this pile compares.

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.
Hooray, ZeeToo!

I'm pretty drat happy that I managed to go from 10 dorfbux to 72 in the span of two rounds.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
:toot: Awesome fight! I wasn't sure Horza could do it, but-

:confuoot: Wait a minute, who did I bet on again?

:saddowns: ...Once more all my hope rides on Dr. Stranglelove.

Buzzsaw Roomba fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 21, 2014

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Well. That's dumped me some way back down the betting leaderboard again, then :(

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
On the down side I lost 750 dwarf bucks.

On the plus side, Bad Munki lost 7306.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Spermy Smurf posted:

On the down side I lost 750 dwarf bucks.

It's all part of my plan.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Spermy Smurf posted:

Always bet with Bad Munki, because if you win, you win, but if you lose, then Bad Munki loses, which means you win.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

TildeATH posted:

Always bet with Bad Munki, because if you win, you win, but if you lose, then Bad Munki loses, which means you win.

Strangely, that same approach hasn't worked for me.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Bad Munki posted:

Strangely, that same approach hasn't worked for me.

That doesn't make any sense. I don't know anyone who doesn't perk right up when they read the phrase, "Bad Munki has suffered an unspecified misfortune."

There, just writing it made me feel three times cheerier.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Dangit. Everything is riding on Stranglelove now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Sorry for the delay, I'm closing on a new house today and things have been crazy busy. The final three updates will be here Real Soon Now once I'm settled in to the new place.

• Locked thread