Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.

Charles Martel posted:

I just wanted to play a couple more Titanfall matches when I came home from work and...and....the beta servers are offline.

I...NEED MY FIX! My body feels so cold...Hearing "Acknowledged. Standby for Titanfall", "ENGAGING FOLLOW MODE", and "ENGAGING GUARD MODE" are now but distant memories...

It's a good thing that March 11th is right around the corner....right? Right, guys?

*looks at calendar*

:smithicide:

March 13th :australia:.

I was already buying Titanfall, but now I'm even more excited :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

univbee posted:

The only exclusive game that has a release date is Kinect Sports Rivals (March 25th). There's also Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare as a timed exclusive.

That plant v zombies games comes out in a few days, doesnt it? It actually looks.... kinda fun.

And nthing being loving hooked by Titanfall. Online shooters havent really been my thing for a long, long too (Since battlefield 2 almost 10 years ago, really) but Titanfall got its claws into me for sure.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Charles Martel posted:

I just wanted to play a couple more Titanfall matches when I came home from work and...and....the beta servers are offline.

I...NEED MY FIX! My body feels so cold...Hearing "Acknowledged. Standby for Titanfall", "ENGAGING FOLLOW MODE", and "ENGAGING GUARD MODE" are now but distant memories...

It's a good thing that March 11th is right around the corner....right? Right, guys?

*looks at calendar*

:smithicide:

Yeah, I'm looking forward to playing this once it is out. I had a lot of fun with the beta. But, mini-rant:

I may not pick it up until some future digital sale. I am so very annoyed that I could get 10 dollars back from the Microsoft store by preordering it, but there is no parity on the digital marketplace, that I refuse to buy it for now. I know it probably seems weird and petty, but they are really making it hard for me to stay with digital only like I wanted to. It was one thing when sellers like Amazon had better deals, that is almost expected, but now even their own physical marketplace has better deals than digital and it is kind of the last straw for me. :(

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.
Preview the new dashboard update (invite only)

quote:

Beginning today, Xbox is inviting select Xbox Live members to preview new features coming to Xbox One in a March system update and future system updates as they become available, asking them to provide valuable feedback before the updates are implemented worldwide. Selected participants will receive an Xbox Live message with a token to register. The next system update will begin rolling out next week to those who will preview the new features. Once registered, participants will be able to test the early features included in the update and provide feedback on a private forum and can opt out of future waves.
http://news.xbox.com/2014/02/xbox-one-preview-update

I've always liked testing out the new dashboard updates to see what Microsoft has planned, so I'm hoping I get picked.

There's also a blu-ray/media remote coming out for $24.95 http://news.xbox.com/2014/02/xbox-one-media-remote

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

King Burgundy posted:

Yeah, I'm looking forward to playing this once it is out. I had a lot of fun with the beta. But, mini-rant:

I may not pick it up until some future digital sale. I am so very annoyed that I could get 10 dollars back from the Microsoft store by preordering it, but there is no parity on the digital marketplace, that I refuse to buy it for now. I know it probably seems weird and petty, but they are really making it hard for me to stay with digital only like I wanted to. It was one thing when sellers like Amazon had better deals, that is almost expected, but now even their own physical marketplace has better deals than digital and it is kind of the last straw for me. :(

This also really bothers me. They simply need to develop some level of price match guarantee like their retail counterparts, even if it's only from a select set of retailers. Starting with themselves.

I'll still likely buy it from the Microsoft store. I'm expecting Amazon to run a similar deal so I'm holding out because Microsoft promises that deal will be open until the 10th.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Chick3n posted:

I've always liked testing out the new dashboard updates to see what Microsoft has planned, so I'm hoping I get picked.

There's also a blu-ray/media remote coming out for $24.95 http://news.xbox.com/2014/02/xbox-one-media-remote

So unless I'm mistaken you can't control your cablebox/DVR specific stuff with this remote. Swing and miss. I use a cheap harmony 300 remote to control my TV, soundbar, bone, and media center. Looks like that's not gonna change anytime soon.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

OldPueblo posted:

So unless I'm mistaken you can't control your cablebox/DVR specific stuff with this remote. Swing and miss. I use a cheap harmony 300 remote to control my TV, soundbar, bone, and media center. Looks like that's not gonna change anytime soon.

I think you could as long as your cablebox was plugged in through your xbox, as it is designed to do. I have no idea how many people actually do this though. I don't even have a cable box so it doesn't particularly matter to me.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

I think you could as long as your cablebox was plugged in through your xbox, as it is designed to do. I have no idea how many people actually do this though. I don't even have a cable box so it doesn't particularly matter to me.

I do have a cablebox plugged into the Bone (I'm like, literally the target market for the thing) and I see no value in such a remote because you know, my voice already does everything I need this to do.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
The remotes supposed value is someone who has their Kinect disabled or disconnected (or bought a future Xbone without a Kinect). But what seems bizarre is that it lacks a 0-9 keypad. Presumably you'd be using it for your cable but when every cable lineup is beyond 150 channels having to do that purely with up and down would be useless. I don't understand why they wouldn't have gone with adding digits to the thing.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
Yeah the only thing that would have been nice with a fancy new Xbox remote would be when I need to do things like specifically select ripped content or pre-recorded TV shows. There are no voice commands (or controller) for that. You absolutely have to use your "legacy" remote that came with whatever you have. Once I'm watching said show voice commands like play, pause, stop, etc., work fine. But there aren't any commands to get to those sections of <generic DVR>. The harmony 300 works like a champ though, just plug it into the computer, tell it what hardware you have, sync it, then done. The only slightly annoying factor is remembering what you've assigned certain buttons to do that you don't use often.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...

Chick3n posted:

IMPORTANT NOTE: The March update is going to include a significant rework of the Party app. If you beta test this release, you probably won't be able to join parties or do party chat with non-preview consoles.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

FuSchnick posted:

IMPORTANT NOTE: The March update is going to include a significant rework of the Party app. If you beta test this release, you probably won't be able to join parties or do party chat with non-preview consoles.

This is expected, since this is the "fixing the parties and multiplayer" update.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

FuSchnick posted:

It's so awesome to see the update addressing the app most in need of attention. :love:

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Beelzebozo posted:

It's so awesome to see the update addressing the app most in need of attention. :love:

Not sure if it's sarcasm or not but it's true. The party system is so horrible I wouldn't buy games to play with friends using it.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

MJBuddy posted:

Not sure if it's sarcasm or not but it's true. The party system is so horrible I wouldn't buy games to play with friends using it.

No, sorry. That was 100% sincere. I was really bummed about how bad parties were out of the box and am delighted that they're already getting a rework.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

The party system, as far as BF4 is concerned, is functional but certainly not convenient. Once you get set up and everybody on the same page, it's not too bad, but it's starting a party that's in dire need of attention.

The party system automatically dragging you into friends' games is a cool idea, but I wish it could be turned off. You have an option to join or not, but you know what I mean.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MJBuddy posted:

What you don't like that by default you aren't talking to your friends or that it causes innumerable glitches or just starting a game with a friend can be a gauntlet of "what the hell menu am I supposed to be in gently caress me how do I get them into my game"?

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Barudak posted:

What you don't like that by default you aren't talking to your friends or that it causes innumerable glitches or just starting a game with a friend can be a gauntlet of "what the hell menu am I supposed to be in gently caress me how do I get them into my game"?

I think it's that by daring to party before entering a game the game crashes.

This assumes one can even turn on party chat.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Wrong thread, sorry.

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.
There's no purchase button yet, but it looks like pre-ordering and pre-loading are coming to the Xbox 1 :). https://store.xbox.com/en-US/Xbox-One/Games/Titanfall/8ef9f044-dab7-49f9-9ec6-0aa4c1686efe

quote:

Game Description:Pre-purchase: You will be charged the full price immediately for this pre-purchase. Xbox One game expected to release on March 11th, 2014. You may download the game from Xbox Live before then, but it will not be playable until after 12:01 AM PST on the release date in your country. No refunds.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

This is pretty much the only thing I needed to accept a switch to an all-digital or largely-digital distribution model on consoles.

Of course, what's going to happen is that someone's going to figure out how to launch the game ahead of time, or dig around through the game's files, and Microsoft is going to never offer a preload again in the future.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Funkmaster General posted:

This is pretty much the only thing I needed to accept a switch to an all-digital or largely-digital distribution model on consoles.

I'm going to also need the Microsoft Store to stop offering $10 gift cards with physical purchases only.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Beelzebozo posted:

I'm going to also need the Microsoft Store to stop offering $10 gift cards with physical purchases only.

This. Really happy to see the preload. Now offer me price parity and I'm SO in.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
I still can't do it...I need the ability to cut my losses if a game is lovely. The only game I KNOW I wouldn't sell back is NHL, and even for that I want the Box/Disc because I have every other one in the series in that form.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Plus the fact of downloading a ~30GB game when you have a poo poo DSL connection where your download caps out at 100kbps. I really need to give Comcast a call and upgrade.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Charles Martel posted:

Plus the fact of downloading a ~30GB game when you have a poo poo DSL connection where your download caps out at 100kbps. I really need to give Comcast a call and upgrade.

That's why the pre load is so important. Now you can download the game overnight.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MJBuddy posted:

That's why the pre load is so important. Now you can download the game overnight.

Days in advance too.

I want that pre-order discount but between this and the rapidity of sales on this platform I'm liking Microsofts direction in terms of their digital store. Granted they kind of have to do it since they're getting butt whipped but here we are and I'm getting things I want.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Days in advance would be good, but then we run into the 500GB HD space limitation. Having a disc on-hand is easy for when you want to do quicker re-installed of games you have to delete to clear up some space. I hope that external drive space gets added soon.

And that whole bug where if you leave a game running in the background, switch to TV, and go back to the game later and it doesn't recognize any of the controller inputs is getting annoying. You either have to turn the controller off and back on or restart the game.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Funkmaster General posted:

Has MS made any sort of guarantees that your digital purchases will always be available for as long as MS is around?

With their past history I could never place my bet on going digital only with the X1. I've been frantically backing up my 360 arcade games (or straight buying the PC version) since it's only a matter of time MS cuts the cord like they did on the original xbox, their countless movie services, App Store, etc. Even then I have to hope my 360 never dies as the any other 360 would outright reject the game.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
Apparently, the Titanfall preload page was put up "in error". Which makes sense, since a near three week preload is a bit long.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Has MS made any sort of guarantees that your digital purchases will always be available for as long as MS is around?

With their past history I could never place my bet on going digital only with the X1. I've been frantically backing up my 360 arcade games (or straight buying the PC version) since it's only a matter of time MS cuts the cord like they did on the original xbox, their countless movie services, App Store, etc. Even then I have to hope my 360 never dies as the any other 360 would outright reject the game.

I think they made some really weak guarantee at E3 but pretty much said in 30 years it would all be gone.

That said Ive played maybe two Xbox games over the life of my 360. I'm about as concerned as I would be of any digital purchase. That is, if my game was suddenly lost 20 years from now I'd just pick up a disc copy for 5 bucks and not care. Which is way less of an issue than I've had with PC games that need to be set up to run on modern tech or simply werent being sold legally anymore.

Not a big issue either way with Titanfall, since a hard copy back up wouldn't allow you to play the game if the one died anyway.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

MJBuddy posted:

That said Ive played maybe two Xbox games over the life of my 360. I'm about as concerned as I would be of any digital purchase. That is, if my game was suddenly lost 20 years from now I'd just pick up a disc copy for 5 bucks and not care. Which is way less of an issue than I've had with PC games that need to be set up to run on modern tech or simply werent being sold legally anymore.

If you've ever had all your stuff stolen or burnt in a fire you'd quickly learn that companies that don't promise you a proper backup solution are poo poo :)

Companies and Consumers shouldn't be so short sighted.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

If you've ever had all your stuff stolen or burnt in a fire you'd quickly learn that companies that don't promise you a proper backup solution are poo poo :)

Companies and Consumers shouldn't be so short sighted.

How is that relevant here? Aren't we discussing Xbox discontinuing support 10 years from now? Or is this like the guys who bought some long cancelled History channel show only to have it discontinued from the old Xbox movies thing? It's a very grey area, but the best example I can think of of people being incredibly hosed over in every direction is Too Human, where any consumer who wanted to re-download a digital version they purchased is SOL, but I could buy a copy at Gamestop for 4 bucks. Let's ignore that it's an atrocious game. I'm sure there's a theorhetical much worse situation that a 6 year old cancelled TV show being de-listed or a bad game being removed, but I also don't see why the risk exposed to those products on the Xbox are different than the risk through Origin, Steam, or the very real risk that operating systems and hardware will develop to a point where extensive emulation would be required to run old software (DOS based games, potentially old old DirectX compliant games like the Command and Conquer series which had issues until upgraded as well as some early Windows games).

I guess I should disclose that I've also had all my stuff stolen and had a giant hurricane destroy all of my fiance's personal belongings. In both cases insurance promised usa proper backup solution, so I'm kinda lost on your point there.

As for short sightedness, my point is largely that I tend to not care at all about a game 10 years after playing it, so risks involved with it degrading (I mean poo poo, every PSX game I had is basically non-functional and a huge amount of those stopped working within a few years without and ability for refund. gently caress you, FFIX disc) are very low utility losses vs potentially valuable utility gains now.

I still prefer hard discs because as someone posted I like the ability to recoup losses on the used market if I'm done with the game before the general pop is though. I have purchased digital versions of games when the deals are large enough to justify losing that option, especially with games where the resale is already low (Dark Souls), or the likelihood of my selling it off is low (Borderlands 2). It's anything but short sighted; I'm incredibly neurotic.

E: I think your concerns are valid, but I think the magnitude of the weight of those concerns is smaller for myself. Not necessarily trying to convince you that you're wrong or anything. All of the things you've mentioned are negative things to myself as well, just small negatives.

MJBuddy fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 22, 2014

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

MJBuddy posted:

E: I think your concerns are valid, but I think the magnitude of the weight of those concerns is smaller for myself. Not necessarily trying to convince you that you're wrong or anything. All of the things you've mentioned are negative things to myself as well, just small negatives.

It depends on if customers value things they buy or don't. Personally I focus on the long term and consider things I purchase as something that holds value. This is why I usually buy my games on GOG or Steam, songs on Amazon or iTunes, and movies on Amazon. Both have proven track records. The games I've bought off Steam from 2006 that have since been discontinued, I can still download and play right now. I can't say the same for anything MS has done. All my music I've purchased from MS is basically gone since the computer I used for their abandoned service is no longer functioning. Luckily the tunes I've bought from Amazon and Apple still work.

I would be very careful about going all digital on a MS console. At least until MS actually stated a firm and legally accountable policy.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 22, 2014

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

It depends on if customers value things they buy or don't. Personally I focus on the long term and consider things I purchase as something that holds value. This is why I usually buy my games on GOG or Steam, songs on Amazon or iTunes, and movies on Amazon. Both have proven track records. The games I've bought off Steam from 2006 that have since been discontinued, I can still download and play right now. I can't say the same for anything MS has done. All my music I've purchased from MS is basically gone since the computer I used for their abandoned service is no longer functioning. Luckily the tunes I've bought from Amazon and Apple still work.

I would be very careful about going all digital on a MS console. At least until MS actually stated a firm and legally accountable policy.

But steam doesn't have a firm or legally accountable policy. Just a reputation mechanism.

Which you could argue Microsoft is weak on, but why not just advocate for stronger reputations?

And it's not about value or not, it's about risk. The game is the same in either platform, so it shouldn't be framed as "people who buy DL versions don't value their purchases". But yes, if you believe your purchases will hold value that cannot be easily replaced in the future, be more risk averse with them. Personally I can't imagine a game that isn't worth next to nothing in 5 years. Really my save data is the most valuable asset on some games, because I can't just go grab a copy from Gamestop for next to nothing. In general I'd rather sell back a game I purchase, use the money to play other things, and if I have interest in returning to a game just going back and buying it for less than what I sold it for down the line. There are very few games I hold on to, and those that I do, I do so because of random urges to play through them. But I'm also not convinced that the odds of Microsoft disavowing their entire catalog of digital content is greater than the odds of my disc being scratched, which is an analog identical situation. I've certainly had more scratched discs than Microsofts shutting down their network operations, and those scratched discs occur when I care about the content and end up being incredibly frustrating, while most content removals occur due to almost zero demand from customers for that content.

I do think these purchasing decisions are very small, though, and the margins we're talking about are in the 5-10 dollar range. I somewhat get being protective of money in general, but a bad decision is a very small cost with regards to losing access to downloadable versions of games. The difference between your steam example and the console is that the discs still exist. If they discontinued your steam games and you couldn't download them anymore, but you could just go grab the game for 3 bucks in a store, would you really be outraged? That's the reality of the last two generations of console games. PC gaming has a much thinner retail market. Looking again at Too Human, I can purchase that game for 99 cents at Gamestop. If Xbox announced it was pulling it forever (which it did), the cost to replace it is very tiny.

Which is a stark contrast to say, Nintendo's system of "Oh your X got stolen, you just lost hundreds of dollars in stuff and sucks for you"

MJBuddy fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 22, 2014

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
So Dead Rising 3 stopped loading Diego's character model. He still talks, but he's invisible. He's currently getting activated. Hahaha-- his worms were visible and then his corpse was entirely. So weird!

Is the point of no return clear? I haven't already passed it yet, have I? Still have one or two side missions.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Did anyone else get a code for the March update?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

At E3 pre DRM change larry kind of walked around the question with a kind of we wouldn't do that but its weird how he answered it instead of just saying "your games will still be available"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lMhjM9BK7M&t=23s

VincesUndies
Jul 18, 2002

Vince McMahon's Underpants

sba posted:

Did anyone else get a code for the March update?

Got mine this morning. Any word on when the update beta rolls out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
Its a shame there's no demo for strider. There's one for the 360, why does major nelson punish us?

• Locked thread