Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Playing a Siam game, just noticed Mali westerrnised and is successfully pushing Portugal out of West Africa. ...This should be interesting.

Also I've decided not to colonise Indonesia despite it being probably the best route because it was less aesthetically pleasing, how feasible is it to wait for someone like Aceh to be colonised and then Westernise from them? I'm assuming I can westernise from across a strait, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I'm trying to colonize to the west coast of North America through Canada and the game is saying that my potential colonies are too far from my closest port. Is just having a land connection not enough to colonize anymore?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Ethiser posted:

I'm trying to colonize to the west coast of North America through Canada and the game is saying that my potential colonies are too far from my closest port. Is just having a land connection not enough to colonize anymore?

You can't colonize through a colony - are your canadian provinces cities/cored?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

There's a bug where colonial nations interfere with your ability to colonize inland past them. Basically, if your colonial nation doesn't have a port, you can't count its territory for colonization purposes. EDIT: At least, that's the version of the bug I've encountered. There may be others.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 22, 2014

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

You can't colonize through a colony - are your canadian provinces cities/cored?

Yes. I think the problem might be that the province I'm trying to colonize is three provinces in from the water. The coastal province is part of my colonial nation and the next one inland is owned by my nation. I guess this might be interfering with my ability to colonize.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Yep, that sounds like the bug I mentioned. I forgot that it affects your own provinces too, if they aren't connected to the sea.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Is it definitely a bug? The only reason I ask is Paradox released 2 beta patches and a full patch, and you'd think it would be fixed if so.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I don't think Paradox has commented on it at all, but it has all the hallmarks of a bug. Besides, there's still bugs from release in the game, 5 major patches and a major DLC later.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Jackson Taus posted:

What's the mid-game for Japan supposed to be? I did the whole daimyo=>Japan thing and I'm probably 15 years away from finishing annexing/eating all the vassals (it's 1520ish). I've colonized Taiwan and explored the Philippines. But looking at the trade map, my only incoming node is Mexico?? So am I supposed to be going South and kicking around those SE Asian island nations? My other thought was taking Korea - is there an opportune time for that or am I basically doomed to fight their ally Ming (with his 75k doomstack) for that? Just generally what's the play supposed to be here? I had a vision of re-enacting the Greater East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere about 4-5 centuries early, but the trade map seems to make that very suboptimal, no?

I've never played in Asia really (usually do the Europe => Americas/Africa route or just staying Europe). What counts as different continents in Asia?

I feel that Paradox really should do something more with Japan in EUIV, as beign stuck in the Chinese tech group just doesn't feel right. I mean by the 1550s, only a few years after being introduced to arquebuses by Portuguese traders the Japanese were making their own guns, even improving on them by making guns with larger calibers, protecting the fire mechanism against rain and adding sights and such. By the late 16th century guns were in many way the decisive weapon in Japanese warfare used in much the same way as armies in Europe would operating alongside pikemen and firing by volley for maximum effectiveness. Also Japan had a huge number of experienced soldiers at the end of the civil war, also probably the most well organized and equipped armies in Asia, the armies they shipped over to invade Korea were huge and almost completely outmatched the Koreans and Chinese in every manner except artillery. They really should have a mechanism for speeding up their military technology so they can get simialr tech level to Europe and field similar armies, they should probably also have their own distinct tech group as Japanese armies were quite different from Chinese and Korean armies, but just giving them early and quick westernization wouldn't be right. Some event that significantly military tech research rate at the expense of perhaps increased revoltrisk and reduced relations with other Japanese clans, and possible spread of Christianity seems appropriate.

Vaxan
Dec 25, 2010
In the friday multiplayer EU4 game there was a miscommunication between Russia and Byzantium that started a war between every player, except China.

There was a titanic clash were ~90,000 troops died.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Vaxan posted:

In the friday multiplayer EU4 game there was a miscommunication between Russia and Byzantium that started a war between every player, except China.

There was a titanic clash were ~90,000 troops died.

Well failed to stop really. How many men died due to Persian pride.

Is the war leaders monarch taking charge of the battle coded in or was is random chance that he became the leader when he arrived taking over from a better Russian general?

Rumda fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 22, 2014

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Rumda posted:

Is the war leaders monarch taking charge of the battle coded in or was is random chance that he became the leader when he arrived taking over from a better Russian general?

I've never seen anything but the first general on the scene getting leadership, no matter the stats or if they are a ruler.

Samolety
Jan 27, 2008

I have returned from negotiations with Comrade Ignatov and have found him to be quite agreeable.
I believe it is peace in our time.
Since they cross-posted the picture from the PGS thread, I will cross-post the writeup.

Quick write-up: A dispute between the ownership of Syria resulted in me (Byzantium) guaranteeing the independence of Azerbaijan until Persia (Last Emperor) ceded Syria. Meanwhile, a trade dispute with Rumda (Ethiopia) led to a collaboration between them against me. A tragic misunderstanding between Orthodox brethren (Russia didn't see a message from me offering to end the guarantee so he could take Azer) resulted in Russia (Vaxan) joining the anti-Roman alliance. Gujarat (Obliterati) upheld his defensive pact with Rome and joined the war. Meanwhile, out of nowhere, nobody expects the Dutch intervention! The Netherlands (Vequeth) joined on the side of Rome. After a few skirmishes, a Great War-esque front line was developed in the mountains of eastern Anatolia. Eventually, I initiated a plan to pull the Persian troops out of Cilicia so the Dutch could push through to Antioch and engage a battle without the mountain penalty. The plan failed and the meatgrinder was revved up in Cilicia.

After the results shown in the above screenshot, I ended my guarantee of Azerbaijan. Due to the victory, I did not give up Damascus, as the Persians had initially demanded, but several years after the war I gave it to him as a token of good will (and pretty borders).

It was awesome, even if I am a bit :smith: at my Russian brothers' betrayal.

P.S. Play multiplayer with us, it rocks!

Edit: Damnit. Fixed.

Samolety fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 22, 2014

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Persia is last emperor btw

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Randarkman posted:

I feel that Paradox really should do something more with Japan in EUIV, as beign stuck in the Chinese tech group just doesn't feel right. I mean by the 1550s, only a few years after being introduced to arquebuses by Portuguese traders the Japanese were making their own guns, even improving on them by making guns with larger calibers, protecting the fire mechanism against rain and adding sights and such. By the late 16th century guns were in many way the decisive weapon in Japanese warfare used in much the same way as armies in Europe would operating alongside pikemen and firing by volley for maximum effectiveness. Also Japan had a huge number of experienced soldiers at the end of the civil war, also probably the most well organized and equipped armies in Asia, the armies they shipped over to invade Korea were huge and almost completely outmatched the Koreans and Chinese in every manner except artillery. They really should have a mechanism for speeding up their military technology so they can get simialr tech level to Europe and field similar armies, they should probably also have their own distinct tech group as Japanese armies were quite different from Chinese and Korean armies, but just giving them early and quick westernization wouldn't be right. Some event that significantly military tech research rate at the expense of perhaps increased revoltrisk and reduced relations with other Japanese clans, and possible spread of Christianity seems appropriate.

China used firearms a lot. So did the Manchus (contemporary paintings of Manchu and Ming musketeers in battle abound). That said, there was something about the extreme balkanization of both Japan and Europe that rewarded firearm innovation.

Basically the game needs to model military tech innovation a bit better; also it is nonsensical for the chinese tech group to start at 2. The only reason why Zheng He's fleet got scrapped was because, after sailing throughout Africa, India, and SE Asia, Ming China found no one richer than they. That is not the hallmark of tech level 2.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Samolety posted:

Multiplayer also produces the prettiest borders.

(I'm Zhen)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Rumda posted:

Monarchs always take priority over generals, yeah. (Not war-leader monarchs specifically.)

In my Tyrone Luck of the Irish game a few days ago, I was losing battles repeatedly to the English when I'd been winning them earlier, and eventually realized it was because I'd given my troops a general, my King; the Scots had a much better general who had been whipping the English earlier, but lost command when my King arrived!

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Randarkman posted:

Japan's not exactly weak - I've been pushing everyone in SE Asia around these last 50 years post-unification. I took Korea and now I have half of Manchu with the other half vassalized, I've colonized a bunch around Philippines and I'm slowly working towards Malacca. It's 1566 and I'm getting kind of bored - but Castile just took the Cape, so I'm thinking I might plop a colony down there and Westernize ASAP (still have probably 1-2 hops to get to them). There's really nobody in the SE I'm scared of, maybe one or two nations that could make me deploy all my armies, but nothing that could win over me. And that's with me screwing up (took Exploration over Expansion) and taking it slow, and I'm a fairly mediocre player at best.

As Japan, should I be aiming to go Christian down the line, or stay Shinto? It seems like it'd be a giant PITA to go Christian. I'm considering picking up Religious ideas post-Westernization in order to deal with all the Confucian and Buddhist and Sunni provinces I want to eat (Malacca and China, mostly). Does Japan get all those +1 missionary strength decisions that the Western Christians get around Admin 10?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Definitely stay Shinto. +10% morale is nothing to laugh at, plus your colors will match.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Alikchi posted:

(I'm Zhen)
What is this, AzeriEU4?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Kersch posted:

What is this, AzeriEU4?

Europa Gooniversalis has a Muslim China decision, which forms Zhen. It's also got a Korean China decision (Chaoxian).

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I guess that trying to load a game where I had Steppe Nomad vassals completely breaks the game?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

It shouldn't, because you can vassalize Steppe Nomads again for some reason. Like :dice:, but Paradox.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

I thought Steppe Nomads no longer becoming protectorates was in the 1.5 patch.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I think I was loading a game that had a mod. The steppes were under my protectorate still, so I just left them.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Rogue0071 posted:

I thought Steppe Nomads no longer becoming protectorates was in the patch notes.

It is, but I'm not super sure why they'd let them become vassals instead.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

PittTheElder posted:

It is, but I'm not super sure why they'd let them become vassals instead.

Every country can be either vassalized or turned into a protectorate. Unless they change the mechanic, anyone who can't be made a protectorate can be vassalized.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I know, but they could easily have just made hordes unable to be subject to either.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Kersch posted:

What is this, AzeriEU4?

Yeah I imported a bunch of stuff from EU3+ for EG. Azerbaijan under the Najjars is in there too.

Alikchi fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Feb 22, 2014

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I'm a bit confused by the two mod folders, is it the one in the My Documents EUIV folder that's supposed to be used? I've noticed that all the steam workshop mods go in there (as compressed files +.mod file).

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Pimpmust posted:

I'm a bit confused by the two mod folders, is it the one in the My Documents EUIV folder that's supposed to be used? I've noticed that all the steam workshop mods go in there (as compressed files +.mod file).

Seems like both work, but Paradox encourages use of the My Docs one.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Samolety posted:

Since they cross-posted the picture from the PGS thread, I will cross-post the writeup.

Quick write-up: A dispute between the ownership of Syria resulted in me (Byzantium) guaranteeing the independence of Azerbaijan until Persia (Last Emperor) ceded Syria. Meanwhile, a trade dispute with Rumda (Ethiopia) led to a collaboration between them against me. A tragic misunderstanding between Orthodox brethren (Russia didn't see a message from me offering to end the guarantee so he could take Azer) resulted in Russia (Vaxan) joining the anti-Roman alliance. Gujarat (Obliterati) upheld his defensive pact with Rome and joined the war. Meanwhile, out of nowhere, nobody expects the Dutch intervention! The Netherlands (Vequeth) joined on the side of Rome. After a few skirmishes, a Great War-esque front line was developed in the mountains of eastern Anatolia. Eventually, I initiated a plan to pull the Persian troops out of Cilicia so the Dutch could push through to Antioch and engage a battle without the mountain penalty. The plan failed and the meatgrinder was revved up in Cilicia.

After the results shown in the above screenshot, I ended my guarantee of Azerbaijan. Due to the victory, I did not give up Damascus, as the Persians had initially demanded, but several years after the war I gave it to him as a token of good will (and pretty borders).

It was awesome, even if I am a bit :smith: at my Russian brothers' betrayal.

Edit: Damnit. Fixed.

Yeahm I had expected Gujarat might attack me from behind but I thought the risk was worth it in the end. Originally my talks with Russia were just over it purely being a defensive thing but the fact you had guaranteed both Azerbaijan and Oman was enough to make me think I could get support for an offensive war. It also helped that shortly after the war started you were able tech up to Mil-11 and get men with guns rather than pikes!

Did you have any military ideas? If I had some it might have turned the favour a bit but I've ha to use so many Mil points on suppressing religious revolts (Being Zoraastrian ain't easy) and trying to keep up in military level. Luckily being Ottoman tech I still have a decent combat advantage against most others right now but I do have plans to Westernise when I've gotten a more stable interior. Mostly I've been working on culture converting the Bedouin/Syrians.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I've looked back and I'm sure someone must have talked about this already but I am so disappointed with the colonial nations! The flags are all complete poo poo - and you get loads that are just identical - the names are really boring and they don't seem to work very well. None declare independence, it's far too easy to just placate them.
I have seven going at the moment and not one has declared independence. And they're all basically the same colour too so it's a bit hard to tell where one starts and one ends.

Plus I find that suddenly they're at war with people, I wasn't called into it and I cannot stop it without an enforce peace which occasionally puts me at war with my own allies.

I'm not really sure what I was expecting from the system, but it isn't this. It's also a bit boring because now I've not got anywhere to build buildings or really do anything.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Taear posted:

I've looked back and I'm sure someone must have talked about this already but I am so disappointed with the colonial nations! The flags are all complete poo poo - and you get loads that are just identical - the names are really boring and they don't seem to work very well. None declare independence, it's far too easy to just placate them.
I have seven going at the moment and not one has declared independence. And they're all basically the same colour too so it's a bit hard to tell where one starts and one ends.

Plus I find that suddenly they're at war with people, I wasn't called into it and I cannot stop it without an enforce peace which occasionally puts me at war with my own allies.

I'm not really sure what I was expecting from the system, but it isn't this. It's also a bit boring because now I've not got anywhere to build buildings or really do anything.

You only have your self to blame for the boring names :colbert:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Rumda posted:

You only have your self to blame for the boring names :colbert:

I mean the AI ones. With the exception of Pacifico Norte!

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Taear posted:

I think the problem is probably the lack of meaningful interactions with then.

Apart from raising tariffs, you really cant do anything with then, its boring.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

In about 3 hours we've got our usual large Saturday Europa Gooniversalis game running over in the PGS thread.

All the info can be found within the last couple of pages of it but I'm posting this here because we're going to be down two fairly powerful players this evening.

Anyone up for playing Mahgreb or our Byzantine Empire in the game? Post in the thread/join group chat later or whatever. Mahgreb's AI is usually okay on its' own but I'm not so sure about the Byzantines.

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008
Update on my WC attempt. Went from

to

New world isnt worth a screenshot now as it is mostly mine, apart from the colonial nations that were released from Portugal/Castille when I vassalised them, I have no CB to take them so they are mostly a headache.

HRE: Vassalised 3 of the smaller electors and have been the emperor for about a year. Need to think of new ways to really start gaining imperial authority since they removed one of the methods this patch I think.

Aragon is now my vassal, went up to around 250% OE holding their provinces while getting them down to vassal size. Will probably leave Castille as a vassal for a while as they are doing a nice job colonizing Africa, maybe I should of let Portugal live for a while longer. Worried about integrating Savoy now as the huge -relations hit with HRE people might stir up some more coalitions.

Austria had a small window of 1 month when they had no heir, was able to get my claim throne CB in just in time, now under a PU. Managed to snag Norway as a vassal so can start feeding them cores soon.

Ottomans and Russia are already huge, but I just finished expansion ideas so really should start looking east soon. Starting to get the feeling I wont make it before the 1821 deadline.

Finally a diplomacy mapmode screenshot:

Vequeth fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 22, 2014

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

There's something weird going on in my Japan game. I conquered most of the Inca, expecting it to create a new colonial country, but it remained in my possession. Do you need a core before a colonial nation will be created?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

double nine posted:

There's something weird going on in my Japan game. I conquered most of the Inca, expecting it to create a new colonial country, but it remained in my possession. Do you need a core before a colonial nation will be created?

Unless it was changed in the latest patch I don't think so. I was able to gobble them up as Spain and it turned into a colony (with free cores) pretty much instantly.

• Locked thread