Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

FeyerbrandX posted:

I think everyone whose played this game is thinking the same thing as I am... how much is that 40 hit combo worth? Is there a cap to it?

The annotations on the video mentioned that it should deal around 180,000 damage. But damage displays cap out at 65000 thousand so it wrapped around like 3 times.

Edit: also for those who are just tuning in, there's an update at the bottom of the previous page that demonstrates how Blue breaks the game over his knee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

dude789 posted:

The annotations on the video mentioned that it should deal around 180,000 damage. But damage displays cap out at 65000 thousand so it wrapped around like 3 times.

Edit: also for those who are just tuning in, there's an update at the bottom of the previous page that demonstrates how Blue breaks the game over his knee.

Not damage wise... that... other thing. :argh:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

Man, is there any SaGa game that doesn't have some sort of ridiculous exploit due to programmer oversight?

I don't think SaGa 3 (Final Fantasy Legend 3 here) had any ridiculous exploits. At least none that I can think of off-hand, other than "one specific boss isn't immune to all weapons save 4, he just has an absurdly high defense, and the 4 ignore defense".

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Not damage wise... that... other thing. :argh:

Oh I see. They probably didn't expect combos to get above 5 attacks so I would guess that it caps out at 5 points.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
That video is a fantastic example at how the combo system in this game is just beautiful. It's just amazing how all those standalone techs just appears to seamlessly compliment with each other. It's like something out of a Marvel combo, but even better!

Thwack! fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 18, 2014

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

I never even considered doing a second Overdrive, because I have never lost a fight once Hyper Overdrive was achieved.

If I'm not mistaken, everyone but T-260G and Emelia therefore has an Infinite I Win button.

Doesn't *HE* also have the option to do the Rune quest with you if you did the Arcane and either Light or Shadow? Cause then he can replicate this, albeit with inferior stats. I am pretty sure he can end any encounter with this, even so, just by doing the immediate Overdrive at every opportunity.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

dude789 posted:

Finally, I'll leave you with this fun video where the player hacked the game and gave an entire party Overdrive and then creates a 40 hit combo with 40 distinct attacks.

:tviv:

Even if I have no clue how to pull off this kind of poo poo, this still makes me really want to play the game some more. Thanks for showing it off.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Raitzeno posted:

I never even considered doing a second Overdrive, because I have never lost a fight once Hyper Overdrive was achieved.

If I'm not mistaken, everyone but T-260G and Emelia therefore has an Infinite I Win button.

Doesn't *HE* also have the option to do the Rune quest with you if you did the Arcane and either Light or Shadow? Cause then he can replicate this, albeit with inferior stats. I am pretty sure he can end any encounter with this, even so, just by doing the immediate Overdrive at every opportunity.

Nope, everyone's favorite quest gets locked out of it too.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

dude789 posted:

The Kraken is the final tier of the Reptile sprite enemies and is notorious for being the toughest regularly encountered monster in the game. (The Dullahan is a close second).

I'd say Dullahan is tougher, actually. Dullahan's Siren is every bit as nasty as Maelstrom, and it compensates for having less HP than Kraken by being able to shield block. Plus, Kraken is EXTREMELY susceptible to Implosion's instakill effect. He seriously dies like 95% of the time to Implosion, and I'm assuming other attacks with OHKO effects have a similar success rate.

Good God drat, that 40-hit combo is insane. Someone please tell me that this Mysterious Data Disc is available in English.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I wanna see something like that done in a 3d game.

I don't think we'll ever see games like SaGa Frontier again :sigh:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Bufuman posted:

Good God drat, that 40-hit combo is insane. Someone please tell me that this Mysterious Data Disc is available in English.

Nope, America doesn't get nice things. In fact, we didn't even get the version of Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon that the disc came with - it was the first PSX game in the series, and America only got the second. The bonus disc that came with that, if memory serves, was a video for Chocobo Racing and demos for Parasite Eve and Brave Fencer Musashi.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CmdrKing posted:

That would require there to be a SaGa game that was released on-time, budget intact, and in a complete state.

So no.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Randalor posted:

I don't think SaGa 3 (Final Fantasy Legend 3 here) had any ridiculous exploits. At least none that I can think of off-hand, other than "one specific boss isn't immune to all weapons save 4, he just has an absurdly high defense, and the 4 ignore defense".
The whole transformation thing to Beasts/Monsters/Cyborgs/Robots is fairly exploitable if you understand what you're doing with it and/or have access to the right equipment or loot (staves inexplicably give Cyborgs shitloads of HP), and if you understand the badly-translated ability list (such as that oChange actually grants elemental resistance), and knowing about casting spells from items. Or you can just throw TNT and Nukes at everything, which works well.

Pretty much the only reason you haven't seen a FFL3 run where Chaos is reduced to a pathetic weeping child and Balor dies like a bitch is because very few people care enough about that game to destroy it. It's certainly less exploitable than other SaGa games, but it's a more controllable exploitable because there's a lot less random stuff. It's a lot easier to get meat/parts and they're more predictable in how they work.

Also, random fun FFL3 fact: Thunder does not exist. I mean, there are spells of that element but Thunder is not an element that exists in the game. All Thunder attacks are actually dual-element Ice + Tornado attacks. Because SaGa. :psyduck:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Nakar posted:

Because SaGa. :psyduck:

I think its been said before, but that would make an excellent alternate title to this (or any) SaGa threads.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Nakar posted:

The whole transformation thing to Beasts/Monsters/Cyborgs/Robots is fairly exploitable if you understand what you're doing with it and/or have access to the right equipment or loot (staves inexplicably give Cyborgs shitloads of HP), and if you understand the badly-translated ability list (such as that oChange actually grants elemental resistance), and knowing about casting spells from items. Or you can just throw TNT and Nukes at everything, which works well.

Pretty much the only reason you haven't seen a FFL3 run where Chaos is reduced to a pathetic weeping child and Balor dies like a bitch is because very few people care enough about that game to destroy it. It's certainly less exploitable than other SaGa games, but it's a more controllable exploitable because there's a lot less random stuff. It's a lot easier to get meat/parts and they're more predictable in how they work.

Also, random fun FFL3 fact: Thunder does not exist. I mean, there are spells of that element but Thunder is not an element that exists in the game. All Thunder attacks are actually dual-element Ice + Tornado attacks. Because SaGa. :psyduck:

I don't suppose anyone's bothered to play through the remake (and its translation) enough to either find major glitches, or decide it's worth LPing?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Raitzeno posted:

I don't suppose anyone's bothered to play through the remake (and its translation) enough to either find major glitches, or decide it's worth LPing?

The original FFL3 was one of my favourite games as a kid.

I've played part of the way through the remake. It is definitely worth LPing and I've thought about doing it, but wouldn't have time for a month or two (and I'm not sure I'd want to do it as my first one ever). I didn't find any horrible glitches, though.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

If nothing else, it's not super heavy on dialogue. Yeah, it's worse than the original on that end, by a rather long shot, but it's no Golden Sun. :ughh:

I can think of a few interesting ways to do either audience participation or multiple LPers working together on it, but I'm still kinda turned off of doing an LP myself after my first failed attempt. I'd definitely follow an LP of it, though, if it ever happens.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

FeyerbrandX posted:

I think its been said before, but that would make an excellent alternate title to this (or any) SaGa threads.

I dunno, this is a pretty close second for SaGa.txt:

Nakar posted:

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Alright y'all we're getting close to the end of Blue's quest so it's time to start thinking about which quest to do next. My goal is to let every quest show off something whether it's sidequests or just a lot of content in their main story so I think it would be best to go with either Asellus's quest or T260G's quest. It doesn't really matter too much so I'm going to put it up to a vote. So please say your choice in bold. You'll have until the next major update (I might still do some short gameplay updates though in between) which should give everyone at least a week. To help with the voting here are the advantages of each quest.

T260G
-Best quest in the game for mechs. We could theoretically make an entire team of them. There's also a lot of really good equipment for them to use.
-Some pretty neat unique dungeons.
-Probably the coolest final boss in the game.

Asellus
-Best quest in the game for mystics.
-We get the chance to get some really bad rear end swords.
-Lots of bosses
-In my opinion, the best songs in the game are in Asellus's quest.

As for the losing character, after the winner's quest we'll do Lute's quest and then have another vote for the loser's quest vs. Riki's quest.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Asellus, just to show how brutal this game can be at the start.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
I'd vote for Asellus. I find that scenario to be very intriguing; both gameplay and plot wise.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
T260G

Robots are the best part in the entire Saga franchise, and anyone who says otherwise is lying to themselves.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Thank God I started with T260G my first time! As we kind of know now, Mecs are super easy to play...Stack equipment, absorb other mecs, don't worry about combo's. Much better option than, let's say, picking that radical dude with the purple hair, he seems chill!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

T260G because I never managed to get through his quest and that would be pretty great. I want to know all about mechs.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
T260's quest is by far the most coherent and complete of the storylines. As such, I vote for Asellus.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
T260G. Robots are the best. Honestly, they ruined the rest of the game for me by being so much more reasonable.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I vote Asellus, and I say go all Mystic for it. All Mec for T260G.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

T260G, but make it an all-mech run. :colbert:

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
T260G. After doing Blue doing Mystics right away would feel a bit samey and downplay their strengths I think. Getting some mech action would be nice.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
T260G Let's save the best for last.

doing the obvious
Jun 7, 2004

The Y2K problem? Well, I've created a very large microwave. It's about two hundred square...cubic , cubic yards. New Years eve, I intend to enter this
T260-G if only because that scenario has some mind gently caress dungeons...and the final boss has a pretty rockin' theme song, too.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
T260 G because yeah, robots. Also best final boss and theme. :colbert: And yeah, agreed about the mystics looking Meh right after seeing mage god Blue.

dendy crew
Jun 1, 2011

Dendy!, Dendy!, We love Dendy! Dendy - Everyone plays it!
T260G

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
T260G. Both quests are awesome, but we're long overdue for some mec action. Not to mention some Gen action.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Ardeem posted:

T260G Let's save the best for last.

My thoughts exactly.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I always found the mystic scenario to be pretty meh. It goes so slow and most the characters are dull. T260G on the other only has awesome stuff and characters, so lets do that.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Meinberg posted:

Robots are the best part in the entire Saga franchise, and anyone who says otherwise is lying to themselves.

This is true, but if we vote for the best consistently, we'll end the game with Riki. :gonk:

Let's go for Asellus and get the rougher part of the game over with first, save the best for last.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I vote for T260G and save Asellus for a cleanser after Riki. Because ugh, Riki.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
T260G. Starlight Rave all day every day. :pcgaming:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

KataraniSword posted:

This is true, but if we vote for the best consistently, we'll end the game with Riki. :gonk:

Let's go for Asellus and get the rougher part of the game over with first, save the best for last.

As far as this game goes, the only thing worse than playing as Riki is playing as Riki last.

Also, go for T-260G since we haven't heard much about mech mechanics yet.

• Locked thread