Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.
The shadows look like Fate, Albiero "Colonel Sanders", Chachamaru, Mana Tatsumiya, and Zazie Rainyday. So basically, none of his minister magi ("partners").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

UchihaHirou posted:

The shadows look like Fate, Albiero "Colonel Sanders", Chachamaru, Mana Tatsumiya, and Zazie Rainyday. So basically, none of his minister magi ("partners").

Chachamaru and him were partners - all of them are non-humans though, except maybe Albiero. Mana and Zazie were half-demons, Fate was... weird, Chachamaru's a robot.

It's all people who would age slower/not age though, so immortals. Likely founding members of UQ Holder? Eva may have founded UQ Holder after Negi's death?

Who knows!

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 22, 2014

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

UchihaHirou posted:

I'm not sure about not partners. What's stopping Negi from having a pactio with Mana, Zazie, or Fate during the 60 odd years between Negima and this flashback?

Edit: Also, I'm pretty sure Zazie is a full demon. Her sister was demon royalty or something, so...

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Silento posted:

Edit: Also, I'm pretty sure Zazie is a full demon. Her sister was demon royalty or something, so...

She may have been, I sorta of had trouble following that whole last arc!

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
Page 11 :negative: What could have been...

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Silento posted:

I'm not sure about not partners. What's stopping Negi from having a pactio with Mana, Zazie, or Fate during the 60 odd years between Negima and this flashback?

We just gotta wait for the nightmare circus arc!

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

.Clash posted:

Page 11 :negative: What could have been...

I haven't quite given up hope yet, but... :(

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
I find it interesting that Negi's variant of Magia Erebea was White [or maybe yellow] while Touta is decidedly Black, did we ever see Eva's version?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MadHat posted:

I find it interesting that Negi's variant of Magia Erebea was White [or maybe yellow] while Touta is decidedly Black, did we ever see Eva's version?

I can't remember quite clearly, but I think Negi's was black until he got it under control near the end. I could be completely wrong though.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

MadHat posted:

PerrineClostermann posted:

I can't remember quite clearly, but I think Negi's was black until he got it under control near the end. I could be completely wrong though.

It's black until he infuses it with lightning, then it turns yellow.

big sperma shot
Jan 13, 2011

Big Cock Jerk Off with MASSIVE cum shot.

MadHat posted:

Eva's is what I'm assuming is either white or blue, as far as I can tell from the black and white. It's ice magic, anyway, and definitely not black.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

big sperma shot posted:

Eva's is what I'm assuming is either white or blue, as far as I can tell from the black and white. It's ice magic, anyway, and definitely not black.

I wonder what element Touta will infuse on his Erebea someday. :allears:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Not sure if it's a spoiler since it's from Negima but

Magia Erebea works by absorbing magical power from spells and converting it into physical power trapped inside your skin. The black version is just absorbing mana from the air or inside you, unshaped raw mana, and is characterized by being slow but powerful.

Negi also displays fusing a lesser lightning spell (gains speed) an amazingly powerful lightning spell (gains speed equal to a lightning strike), a fire variant (super tough to hurt, and able to withstand the heat of hellfire).

Eva displays an 'ice queen' mode where everything that gets within a few feet of her automatically freezes, as well as making it so she can easily channel powerful ice magic without incantation.

Negi also displays it in a way that lets him absorb pure power from his opponent, and throw it back at them.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
What I find interesting is not who we see in Negi's party, but who we don't. No Asuna, so does this mean UQ Holder takes place in the original timeline? Combined with Negi apparently being dead as well.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Does that basically mean that someone has to attack you with a certain spell to turn it into physical power? Like what exactly happened last chapter? I haven't really read or watched Negima so this is all new to me.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

First off, go read Negima.

To answer your question, that was just the primary use of Magia Erebea we saw in Negima. Touta is being powered up by negative emotions, and is on a berserk rampage. He's basically just a super-strong demon at the moment, absorbing a spell or two would make him even more powerful.

Negima spoilers: Negi went through something similar while in the diorama sphere on the way to the Gravekeeper's Palace. He was extremely powerful, and then he used Raiton Taisou and managed to land a hit on (fake) Eva.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Silento posted:

First off, go read Negima.

To answer your question, that was just the primary use of Magia Erebea we saw in Negima. Touta is being powered up by negative emotions, and is on a berserk rampage. He's basically just a super-strong demon at the moment, absorbing a spell or two would make him even more powerful.

Negima spoilers: Negi went through something similar while in the diorama sphere on the way to the Gravekeeper's Palace. He was extremely powerful, and then he used Raiton Taisou and managed to land a hit on (fake) Eva.

One of the things I thought was neat about magia erebea as Negima used it was that the negative emotion or darkness didn't stem from just fear or anger or the typical things one would assume, but his own doubts and misgivings. It was literally his own negativity about himself and his decisions. "Dark doesn't mean bad" isn't a particularly new concept, but it was used, I think, in a logical way rather than just asking the reader to roll with it.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

Not sure if it's a spoiler since it's from Negima but

Magia Erebea works by absorbing magical power from spells and converting it into physical power trapped inside your skin. The black version is just absorbing mana from the air or inside you, unshaped raw mana, and is characterized by being slow but powerful.

Negi also displays fusing a lesser lightning spell (gains speed) an amazingly powerful lightning spell (gains speed equal to a lightning strike), a fire variant (super tough to hurt, and able to withstand the heat of hellfire).

Eva displays an 'ice queen' mode where everything that gets within a few feet of her automatically freezes, as well as making it so she can easily channel powerful ice magic without incantation.

Negi also displays it in a way that lets him absorb pure power from his opponent, and throw it back at them.

That last one is the original explanation for the entire use of Magia Erebea, It wasn't just a Negi thing.

Bremen posted:

What I find interesting is not who we see in Negi's party, but who we don't. No Asuna, so does this mean UQ Holder takes place in the original timeline? Combined with Negi apparently being dead as well.

If this is true does that mean we will see Asuna in UQ holder? That'd be rad as hell...

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

The Fresh Prince posted:

If this is true does that mean we will see Asuna in UQ holder? That'd be rad as hell...

I doubt it, since we already know she won't be staying in this timeline very long after waking up.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
IF this is the original timeline. Which would be pretty interesting and help explain some of the differences between UQ Holder's timeline and the last chapter of Negima

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The Fresh Prince posted:

That last one is the original explanation for the entire use of Magia Erebea, It wasn't just a Negi thing.

I was referring to the Energy Absorbtion Circle that he uses against Rakan - which is in fact not what the original use of Magia Erebea was, it was a possibility that was too dangerous for Eva to consider using. It was one of his 'woah, negi is a genius beyond compare at making spells' moments.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

chumbler posted:

One of the things I thought was neat about magia erebea as Negima used it was that the negative emotion or darkness didn't stem from just fear or anger or the typical things one would assume, but his own doubts and misgivings. It was literally his own negativity about himself and his decisions. "Dark doesn't mean bad" isn't a particularly new concept, but it was used, I think, in a logical way rather than just asking the reader to roll with it.

He was always a very negative kid, full of doubts and worries. It was nice, as it set him apart from most shounen protagonists. I guess Touta seems to take more after his great grandfather. I wonder what sort of enemy will let him channel those traits productively?

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

IF this is the original timeline. Which would be pretty interesting and help explain some of the differences between UQ Holder's timeline and the last chapter of Negima

Blhue posted:

I doubt it, since we already know she won't be staying in this timeline very long after waking up.

Oh jeeze. Now all I want is this to be true and Touta and co to go back aswell and then: :allears:. Could even save his parents.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

I was referring to the Energy Absorbtion Circle that he uses against Rakan - which is in fact not what the original use of Magia Erebea was, it was a possibility that was too dangerous for Eva to consider using. It was one of his 'woah, negi is a genius beyond compare at making spells' moments.

The thing I got from that was that setting up such a massive magic circle in a middle of a fight without your opponent noticing and doing something about it is practically impossible when you're not a genius at using delayed spells, thinking multiple moves ahead in a fight, and moving at relativistic speeds. Eva does mention that the things that stopped her from doing it herself were issues with practicality.

Edit: Also the energy absoption circle was the original goal of Magia Erebea. The philosophical concept behind the technique was to take everything life throws at you and turn it into your own strength, making the strength of your opponent your own is the culmination of the entire technique. That was what Eva was working towards before she gave up because it was impractical and she was strong enough to not need Magia Erebea anymore.

Oo Koo fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Feb 22, 2014

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
I wonder if Touta isn't being subconsciously fueled by whatever hosed up memories Eva locked up.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

jackofarcades posted:

I wonder if Touta isn't being subconsciously fueled by whatever hosed up memories Eva locked up.

He doesn't seem to have much in the way of negative emotions, so it's a possibility.

By the way, am I the only one who finds it weird that our heroes have numbered ranks and command squads of interchangeable weak subordinates? Usually those are traits of villains, or at least secondary protagonists.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

He doesn't seem to have much in the way of negative emotions, so it's a possibility.

By the way, am I the only one who finds it weird that our heroes have numbered ranks and command squads of interchangeable weak subordinates? Usually those are traits of villains, or at least secondary protagonists.

Why is it odd? UQ Holder was founded by Eva. She might have mellowed out due to her time in Mahora, but I doubt she will ever give up the demonic queen of the night schtick entirely.

I hadn't really realized before this chapter that if Touta's goal is to meet all of the existing immortals, that includes a few members of class 2A.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Can someone who's read Negima explain all this? I tried to read it and just couldn't manage it

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Scott Bakula posted:

Can someone who's read Negima explain all this? I tried to read it and just couldn't manage it

Hum, I'm sure there's plenty of eager Negima readers here, but you might have to define "all this".

The basics that I can think of: The Mage of the Beginning was the big bad of Negima. He created Eva (apparently as part of his research into immortality) as well as a bunch of other magical beings. The mage that rescued Nagumo in the flashback was Negi, the main character of Negima, who became immortal by mastering the Magia Erebia technique that Eva taught him. Why Nagumo considered him evil is as much a mystery to us as to you; Negi was as heroic as you can get, though he was a "dark" mage (which in the setting means he drew his power from dark emotions, like fear and self doubt).

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Bremen posted:

Hum, I'm sure there's plenty of eager Negima readers here, but you might have to define "all this".

The basics that I can think of: The Mage of the Beginning was the big bad of Negima. He created Eva (apparently as part of his research into immortality) as well as a bunch of other magical beings. The mage that rescued Nagumo in the flashback was Negi, the main character of Negima, who became immortal by mastering the Magia Erebia technique that Eva taught him. Why Nagumo considered him evil is as much a mystery to us as to you; Negi was as heroic as you can get, though he was a "dark" mage (which in the setting means he drew his power from dark emotions, like fear and self doubt).
Stole his kill and looked awesome doing it?

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I figure Nagumo is just a bigot.

mods pls change thread title to "UQ Holder: GO READ NEGIMA"

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I suspect it's more likely just the old watchmen kind of thing. If the only people who can take down the big bad immortal are immortals themselves, what's to say they won't end up just becoming the same thing?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

chumbler posted:

I suspect it's more likely just the old watchmen kind of thing. If the only people who can take down the big bad immortal are immortals themselves, what's to say they won't end up just becoming the same thing?

When the Mage of the Beginning is involved, this is more than just an idle worry.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Silento posted:

I figure Nagumo is just a bigot.

mods pls change thread title to "UQ Holder: GO READ NEGIMA"

I tried to read it but seriously it was really bad at the start and apparently the fan service doesn't improve

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Scott Bakula posted:

I tried to read it but seriously it was really bad at the start and apparently the fan service doesn't improve

It definitely improves, it just doesn't go away completely. And it's not like there's no fanservice in UQ Holder.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
There's also the fact that we don't know yet how Negi's legacy is viewed by the general public. (Negima spoilers)While everything he did was to save the Magic World, he still did it by political engineering on a global scale, revealing the existence of magic and forcibly building a space elevator and at least beginning the terraforming of Mars in a paltry ten years. Even if he made a perfect effort to minimize the casualties you don't force through change on a scale like that without breaking a few eggs. No-one knew about the existence of the magic world on Mars when he began and we don't know if that secret was also revealed when the existence of magic became public knowledge, so for all we know the world of UQ holder considers Negi a villain who turned the world upside down and indirectly caused who knows how much death in the process.

E: This post was in reply to the earlier discussion about why Nagumo considers Negi evil, If it wasn't obvious.

Oo Koo fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 22, 2014

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Okasvi posted:

There's also the fact that we don't know yet how Negi's legacy is viewed by the general public. (Negima spoilers)While everything he did was to save the Magic World, he still did it by political engineering on a global scale, revealing the existence of magic and forcibly building a space elevator and at least beginning the terraforming of Mars in a paltry ten years. Even if he made a perfect effort to minimize the casualties you don't force through change on a scale like that without breaking a few eggs. No-one knew about the existence of the magic world on Mars when he began and we don't know if that secret was also revealed when the existence of magic became public knowledge, so for all we know the world of UQ holder considers Negi a villain who turned the world upside down and indirectly caused who knows how much death in the process.

E: This post was in reply to the earlier discussion about why Nagumo considers Negi evil, If it wasn't obvious.

I dunno about building the space elevator in 10 years. That seems pretty impossible. I think that's why they had to seal Asuna, so that they had enough time to fix the root of the problem.

Seriously, guys! Go read Negima! Later on, the fanservice, while still a part of it, becomes less pronounced. And the action is totally worth it regardless!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Yeah, while the fanservice is 50% or more of the manga and that it never goes away entirely, most of the really egregious bullshit is at the start of the manga. It started lousy, and got better.

None of the anime adaptations really cover what is good about the later parts of the manga, either. The first one emphasized the skeevy naked 14 year old girl poo poo above all else and had a crappy anime filler ending. The second was mostly just a vehicle for Shinbo humor, and had jack all to do with the manga. I thought it was actually kind of charming. The OVAs jumped all over the place, and even though they were ostensibly adaptations of (arguably) the best parts of the manga they cut out as much of the crazy fights and character development for fanservice as possible.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

If this is the original timeline, that would really, really suck, since that would mean everything we see in flashbacks never actually happens in Negima. I want some closure, not a bunch of "What if?"s, and I don't think that's too much to ask when he's had years to think on how he'd end that series, and even made a new series leading off of that ending.

Also, everybody who's reading this but hasn't read Negima, go read Negima, seriously it's great once it gets going. All the anime adaptations suck, though, cause they completely miss the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Hey, the first anime totally got the point. Strip a bunch of underage girls, watch the cash roll in. That crap is the main source of Negima's popularity, we just aren't the target audience for it.

• Locked thread