Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Doug was one of my favorite characters. :ohdear:

Really enjoyed season 2 overall, the Tusk-Francis stuff was great. The only thing disappointing me though is that we won't have the President eating Freddy's ribs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

The Feng asphyxiation scene defines how we see him from every scene after that since it was how we were introduced to him. In a later piece of dialogue he states that he wants to "experience everything" or something along those lines - to Feng, having the ability to do that is power.

While I do kind of get that - and I'd say it was also a way to show the audience that he was very "progressive" for a high-ranking Chinese man, which gets referenced several times later - I was still expecting it to be a setup for someone to GOTCHA him. And I wouldn't rule that happening out in season 3, just like everyone thought Frank's bisexuality was a pointless reveal.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

...HOLY loving poo poo. The S2 opener oh my loving god jesus christ.

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
:xbone:
Its still possible that Frank is just a Meecham-sexual and not bi. I mean, c'mon, its svelte, taciturn Meecham, prone to dainty gifts and he's a good catcher (oh god, I just got the significance of that scene.)

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Shadow Puppet Of posted:

Its still possible that Frank is just a Meecham-sexual and not bi. I mean, c'mon, its svelte, taciturn Meecham, prone to dainty gifts and he's a good catcher (oh god, I just got the significance of that scene.)

He had a boyfriend in college.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Shadow Puppet Of posted:

He had the dude in college. I'm just starting episode 2, but can I assume he actually accepted the cufflinks because he wants dat Meecham rear end?

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
:xbone:
Well alright then, I rescind my ill-informed theory that Meecham was just too much to resist.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Arrgytehpirate posted:

He had the dude in college. I'm just starting episode 2, but can I assume he actually accepted the cufflinks because he wants dat Meecham rear end?

No, I think he appreciated the "F U" joke.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

To be fair, who could resist Kevin Spacey with that genteel southerner accent? :wink:

Hemimaori
Feb 22, 2014
This show has shown me just how quirky some of the laws are in the US.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

precision posted:

While I do kind of get that - and I'd say it was also a way to show the audience that he was very "progressive" for a high-ranking Chinese man, which gets referenced several times later - I was still expecting it to be a setup for someone to GOTCHA him. And I wouldn't rule that happening out in season 3, just like everyone thought Frank's bisexuality was a pointless reveal.

Feng almost certainly won't be around for Season 3 to get GOTCHA'd, considering he got sent back to China where he'll almost certainly be executed.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I'm sure both Frank and Claire like Meecham on a personal level, but if you carefully watch both season, you'll see that Frank carefully cultivates Meecham from day 1 the way he does everyone else: to have maximum leverage over him, to have him compromised in certain ways and dependent on Frank. Even though the shooting incident that got Meecham in trouble would normally be a black mark against someone to move up, be a bodyguard or Secret Service, Frank viewed it as a plus because it would give him leverage over Meecham and generate more loyalty as Frank was the man rescuing Meecham off the street.

If you're going to be involved in shady doings, it's helpful to have a gun wielding security guy who is absolutely loyal to you and will be willing to do anything to protect you, both out of loyalty and fear of the consequences of doing otherwise. You might need that guy to move a body, plant a gun, remove evidence, whatever.

The sexual threesome, while I'm sure it was physically enjoyable to the Underwoods also, very much served the purpose of planting another dark conspiratorial secret between the two of them and Meecham that would cement this situation of loyalty and leverage.

You can see this pattern in Frank's dealings with almost anyone. A good example is in the early episodes of season 1 when Frank (I think it was Frank and not Claire) helped President Walker's assistant's kid getting into Stanford to cultivate an "in" and get a little leverage with her, which he used not long afterwards.

It's interesting the incredible amount of behind the scenes work Frank does to get this kind of leverage, such as getting Russo out of jail and getting the GOP attack ad campaign to stop, where the object of the leverage often has no idea there was any intervention, only to have it revealed to them by Frank at the strategically proper time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm just gonna throw this out there:

I like Frank. Not in the self-denial "I'm still rooting for Walter White" kind of way, just that the way Spacey plays the role, it's almost impossible to NOT get enamored of the guy. If anything, Spacey is making him TOO likeable (though the scriptwriters putting in things like his relationship with Freddy don't hurt).

Maybe I'm Meecham. I sure wouldn't say no to that threesome!

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

precision posted:

I like Frank. Not in the self-denial "I'm still rooting for Walter White" kind of way, just that the way Spacey plays the role, it's almost impossible to NOT get enamored of the guy. If anything, Spacey is making him TOO likeable (though the scriptwriters putting in things like his relationship with Freddy don't hurt).

I like him too. In real life there are plenty of charming psychopaths. It's nice that this one is safely on the TV laptop screen.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Just finished Season 2, and I pretty much hate everyone who is still alive besides Cashew and Gavin.

And maybe Christina because she was gorgeous.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah, I really like Gavin, partially because I like the actor playing him anyway.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
I couldn't keep up with some of the things- namely why did Frank undermine Feng during his meeting with him? Was it to undermine Tusk? What was the point of not getting the bridge put through?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Leelee posted:

I couldn't keep up with some of the things- namely why did Frank undermine Feng during his meeting with him? Was it to undermine Tusk? What was the point of not getting the bridge put through?

It was part of his long term plan to drive a wedge between the president and Tusk.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
I thought the threesome with Meetchum was unnessecary, but whatever. Give the people what they want to see I guess.

dcgrp
Jun 23, 2008
I think we'll see the Meetchum thing get leveraged down the line when they need him to do something highly unethical. He owes his career to them and now he feels a strong personal connection to them.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

cravius posted:

I thought the threesome with Meetchum was unnessecary, but whatever. Give the people what they want to see I guess.

I thought it was pretty solid further characterization and potential storybuilding.

They also didn't show a sex scene, just kissing. Are you upset/reactive when they show some dude pumping away at some chick, like with Frank and Zoe, or some other dude and some other chick?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Yeah, I don't understand why it's "unnecessary". Regardless of how the Underwoods feel about it, Meetchum probably strongly feels personally tied to them now and will probably do anything for them. Whoever said that with Stamper dead, Meetchum is going to become Frank's personal enforcer in Season 3 is probably absolutely right.

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

dcgrp posted:

I think we'll see the Meetchum thing get leveraged down the line when they need him to do something highly unethical. He owes his career to them and now he feels a strong personal connection to them.

well if you look at the UK version; the Bodyguard organized people to disappear

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Something I found funny was when Frank said that he couldn't understand how one could take a bullet for someone else, in a conversation with Meechum.

I might he grasping here, but that really seemed like a knock at his and the president's relationship.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

One touch that I did like was that Tusk pronounced Feng's name correctly while everyone else pronounced it by how it's spelled. Walker mispronouncing Qian, however, is just an oversight.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt48nm59gW4

For people who haven't seen this.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

There is no way Meechum would fill the same role of "fixer" as Doug. Doug was clever and knew what was going on in the world of politics. Meechum is strictly muscle, an insurance policy who might be called upon to do a dirty deed or two in a crucial situation.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
On the flip side he has less need for a fixer, what with already having the highest office in the land. His 'fixer' is the United States Government now. He won.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Boogaleeboo posted:

On the flip side he has less need for a fixer, what with already having the highest office in the land. His 'fixer' is the United States Government now. He won.

Nah, you need at minimum someone you can trust like Frank trusted Doug, to not blab about your dirty secrets and illegal poo poo you've done, and to do some of that stuff for you.

Just because you have the might of the NSA, CIA and military behind you, you can't necessarily utilize those assets to do illegal things and assume it won't blow back on you as a career ending scandal unless you're dealing with people you've known for years (and even then sometimes).

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Why did Frank bury his ring at the end of the ground breaking? Did he actually care for his great great great grandfather?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Zwabu posted:

Nah, you need at minimum someone you can trust like Frank trusted Doug, to not blab about your dirty secrets and illegal poo poo you've done, and to do some of that stuff for you.

Lesser men do. The President....not so much. Moreover all the illegal poo poo he *already* did has an easy out: The only person that can be tied to any of it is Doug, who is dead, and who wouldn't even mind his death being used to further Frank's ends. All of that can be laid at the grave of Doug. Moving forward...he's done. The only real thing left is potentially winning reelection, and even that is more putting a gold star next to a flawless victory. Even if every horrible thing he ever did came to light, he'd still win. It's not like he'd retroactively stop having been President. And that's pretty unlikely because, again, everyone that can directly tie him to anything major is Doug, and thus dead. That's it, there was one guy that really had a material connection to the worst things he's done. So scandal can hit him, but nothing worse.

Going forward there simply aren't the same sort of figures he's had to deal with in the past, nor is there the same power imbalance. He's being fighting above his weight class for the first two seasons. In season three, anyone that attacks him is attacking the President of the United States. Vast swaths of the government are required to defend him by definition. And he's only playing out the clock, you can only be President for so long. Once that passes, he's finished. Which isn't to say I expect him to have a boring and relaxed season three, just that he'll be spending season three in a very different position than we've seen him in in the past. What does a Frank that is on top look like? Would he get bored and start losing his edge? Would he lash out just to make drama? What sort of policy would a man that really doesn't care about politics set?

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Why did Frank bury his ring at the end of the ground breaking? Did he actually care for his great great great grandfather?

Yes. He wasn't above using the occasion for his own purposes (the secret meeting) but hearing the story clearly took him by surprise and faced him with his own mortality.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I was never really bothered by how weak the President was. I think that, since we never hear a mention of Obama or even Bush as I recall, the political landscape was pretty different. Maybe Walker's platform was based on being open to new ideas and new viewpoints and that was just a cover for "Not willing to make lovely decisions on a whim based on political beliefs." and therefore he was just a lot easier to bulldoze over than usual.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

OldTennisCourt posted:

I was never really bothered by how weak the President was. I think that, since we never hear a mention of Obama or even Bush as I recall, the political landscape was pretty different. Maybe Walker's platform was based on being open to new ideas and new viewpoints and that was just a cover for "Not willing to make lovely decisions on a whim based on political beliefs." and therefore he was just a lot easier to bulldoze over than usual.

This x 1,000,000.

His ability to be swayed into changing his mind after taking a seemingly irreversible course of action was kind of ridiculous. "Hey, I'll just revoke the offer to pardon my billionaire mentor who has the power to destroy me with any testimony he may give. He totally won't mind, right :downs:?"

Also, as much as I hated Feng's cartoony villain status, I absolutely loved Frank's bait and switch when he had him deported to China and inevitably his death right after becoming president. I was hoping Frank would settle the score after the complete disrespect he got from Feng during their meeting out in the woods, and he certainly delivered.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah, Walker was always meant to be taken as a joke of an ineffectual President. I guess the real world parallel might be someone like Jimmy Carter.

I know it's more or less impossible but I'd love an Obama cameo in season 3, since he's a fan of the show. At least get better cable TV journalists, Hannity was just terrible (but the others were fine).

Also, for a fun time, watch Veep right before this show. Good lord, what I wouldn't give for just one episode that's a crossover between them. Julia Louis-Dreyfus tearing into Frank would be glorious.

edit: Why did Claire want to get rid of Christina so badly? I assumed it was because of her ties to Russo, and Claire didn't like being reminded that Francis killed such a genuinely good man, but then she started doing the "hey First Lady, she might be banging your husband" bit, which could have just been a way of weakening the President with at-home stress.

precision fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Feb 24, 2014

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Drifter posted:

I thought it was pretty solid further characterization and potential storybuilding.

They also didn't show a sex scene, just kissing. Are you upset/reactive when they show some dude pumping away at some chick, like with Frank and Zoe, or some other dude and some other chick?

The creepy part of that scene, though, for me - and actually correct me if I'm wrong - but it gave the vibe Frank and Claire just can't be intimate without a third person proxy involved somehow.

It got me thinking and really hoping there's not some twist where they're related or something, because it would explain a lot. Forgive me if I'm totally off base with this speculation and forgot some detail from the first season that contradicts it.

precision posted:

What I would not loving GIVE to get Bryan Cranston involved in season 3 to play off Spacey. That could be absolutely gold.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Feb 24, 2014

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Blazing Ownager posted:

The creepy part of that scene, though, for me - and actually correct me if I'm wrong - but it gave the vibe Frank and Claire just can't be intimate without a third person proxy involved somehow.

It got me thinking and really hoping there's not some twist where they're related or something, because it would explain a lot. Forgive me if I'm totally off base with this speculation and forgot some detail from the first season that contradicts it.

I suspect it's some combination of Claire's rape PTSD and Frank's sex-is-power mindset and bi status- that in order for them to trust and respect eachother, they won't have sex when it's just between the two of them, but with a third party, it changes the dynamic enough that they're both willing to participate.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Blazing Ownager posted:

It is entirely possible that Frank is actually just gay. "But Zoe!" I hear people saying, but he explicitly tells us that, in that case, it was not about physical pleasure at all, but about power. It's not like gay men are allergic to women, lots of gay men have had sex with women. Also, Kinsey Scale, Frank may just be very far on the gay spectrum.

So, you know, he loves Claire a lot and they're partners for life, but she just doesn't quite "do it" for him. Which also conveniently explains why he didn't care at all about her photographer boy toy.

The parallels to the many rumors about real life American politicians are, of course, obvious.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

precision posted:

Why did Claire want to get rid of Christina so badly? I assumed it was because of her ties to Russo, and Claire didn't like being reminded that Francis killed such a genuinely good man, but then she started doing the "hey First Lady, she might be banging your husband" bit, which could have just been a way of weakening the President with at-home stress.

It was manipulation. She makes hints that Christina, while competent and capable, has a reputation for sleeping with her bosses, referencing her and Peter Russo's relationship. Linda states that Christina is the one that travels with the president, allowing Linda to get poo poo done at Washington. This not only adds to the stress of the Walker's marriage, but also when Christina is let go, weakens Linda's influence on the administration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I just marathoned both seasons over the last several days. God drat that was quite a ride.

Overall I think I liked season 1 better. Not necessarily because it was a better season, but because I could spend most of the season trying to guess exactly what Franks goal was. Obviously he wanted to increase his power, but there were several ways to do that, and the 'oh poo poo' moment when my stupid rear end finally figured out he was going for the vice presidency and how was what made me really love the show.

As for season 2, well once you're the vice president there's really only one job promotion left. The only real question is whether he'd let Walker finish his own term or not.

beefart posted:

Also, as much as I hated Feng's cartoony villain status, I absolutely loved Frank's bait and switch when he had him deported to China and inevitably his death right after becoming president. I was hoping Frank would settle the score after the complete disrespect he got from Feng during their meeting out in the woods, and he certainly delivered.

It was more than just tying up a loose end, Feng was a bargaining chip with the Chinese. The news report said President Underwood's first act was to have a quote "very productive" conversation with the Chinese, after which both parties agreed to pull their navies back, implying that the standoff is basically over. You can be sure he agreed to give back Feng as part of the deal. I'd bet that it was part of his plan even since getting the state department to bring Feng back in the first place.

• Locked thread