Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Jondan posted:

Dynamic rescue missions (or even Red Dead style mini-events) that appear on the open world map(s) of TPP, where you can rescue your mans that you recruited in GZ (and transfarred over) then bring them back into the fold. :allears:

Man, I would pay so many dollars for the chance to rescue Mongoose, my S-rank cook in a balls-to-the-wall extraction mission in the middle of enemy territory. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Generic American posted:

Man, I would pay so many dollars for the chance to rescue Mongoose, my S-rank cook in a balls-to-the-wall extraction mission in the middle of enemy territory. :allears:

"I need you!"

"S-say that again?"

"I need you. I can't do this without you. You're the only one who knows how to cook 5-star Rations!"

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

If everything integrates well I'm convinced this game will keep me busy well beyond 2015. Was that last screenshot just a normal tablet or a vita? Does Sony do a tablet for the ps4, or are there no more details about it? It looks strange having it connected to the screen or the system, defeating the purpose.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheMostFrench posted:

If everything integrates well I'm convinced this game will keep me busy well beyond 2015. Was that last screenshot just a normal tablet or a vita? Does Sony do a tablet for the ps4, or are there no more details about it? It looks strange having it connected to the screen or the system, defeating the purpose.

Normal tablets can connect to Sony stuff. Sony put out a special app for Beyond: Two Souls for example that lets you use a tablet as a controller.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

It'd be pretty awesome if they allowed the Vita to do the map stuff.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

ImpAtom posted:

Normal tablets can connect to Sony stuff. Sony put out a special app for Beyond: Two Souls for example that lets you use a tablet as a controller.

So god drat pumped.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

It'd be pretty awesome if they allowed the Vita to do the map stuff.

The Vita lets you choose between Remote Play and Second Screen when you do a system link with the PS4, so I'm sure anything that does use something like this would support the Vita at minimum.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheMostFrench posted:

So god drat pumped.

I'm the same, if anything it looks like this is going to be a massive sandbox toy that will help tide people over nicely.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
One cool thing this GameInformer interview with Kojima says is that GZ doesn't pause when you're checking the map on your iDroid, ala Dark Souls.
I love love love that they're adding a risk/reward aspect to the in-game map - you can memorize your route before infiltrating, or check it in the field - but risk having an enemy spot you while you're distracted.

Can't waaaaait

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Aww, hell yeah. Dark Souls inventory. I'm liking this more and more. I guess that also incentivizes using an external device (please tell me it lets you use a Vita too!) for the iDroid map--so you don't have to break up the action on the big screen.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
It looks like I can write a new chapter in my "Things I never knew about MGS" diary.

In MGS1, if you haven't picked up the SOCOM yet when you meet Meryl for the first time, not only is the cutscene slightly different, you get an entirely different (And much better.) song as well. I haven't heard that song anywhere else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgzdj1lYQhw

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Man I've never seen that before.

I wonder how many backflips you do in the twin snakes version of that cutscene. I loving love twin snakes. Versus is such a great dumb movie.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Disappointingly few. You do get Snake prancing around like a smug poo poo, though some jet noises would have been much appreciated.

Twin Snakes didn't go over the top enough and I can't believe I've actually typed that.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Platinum should make Twin Snakes 2: Pliskin's Revengeance. While running on walls, dodging bullets and surfing on missles, see what Solid Snake was up to in the Big Shell behind the scenes. Instead of Zandatsu's you steal solider's cigarettes with perfectly timed neck breaks.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

John Luebke posted:

It looks like I can write a new chapter in my "Things I never knew about MGS" diary.

I only found out recently that if you're using the Mono sound option in MGS 1, if you call Campbell during the Hind D fight he'll tell you to use your stereo speakers to listen to where the Hind is. Snake will then say he doesn't have stereo and then the Colonel and Mei Ling basically mock you for being poor.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Ausmund posted:

Platinum should make Twin Snakes 2: Pliskin's Revengeance. While running on walls, dodging bullets and surfing on missles, see what Solid Snake was up to in the Big Shell behind the scenes. Instead of Zandatsu's you steal solider's cigarettes with perfectly timed neck breaks.
Why did people hate Twin Snakes again? Especially with gems such as:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXTPS5pfeFI

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Butt Ghost posted:

Why did people hate Twin Snakes again?

A not-insignificant number of people in the early 2000's managed to somehow miss that metal gear solid isn't actually a dead serious espionage game and got mad that Twin Snakes got a bunch of anime in their PTSD drama.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I hate the way the game looks. The MGS2 graphic style has not aged very well, and just looking at Snake and Liquid makes me glad they didn't stick with it.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Butt Ghost posted:

Why did people hate Twin Snakes again?

You would be surprised at the staggering number of people who are enemies of fun.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I think the original looks and sounds a lot dirtier. TTS's use of MGS2's visuals make it look a lot more sterile like the Plant, which doesn't really give you the Shadow Moses atmoshpere.

Or some poo poo like that. And they changed the VO.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Steve2911 posted:

Or some poo poo like that. And they changed the VO.

I think Hayter explained at some point that they re-recorded because they dubbed MGS in a converted apartment and, if they tried to remaster the original audio track for higher quality files, they'd have no way to eliminate the sound of cars in the background.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

TTS' big problem is that it uses MGS1's level and enemy layout despite using all of MGS2's gameplay enhancements. It makes the game too easy because it wasn't designed to be played with first person aiming, basically.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

One of these days I want to pick up a used Gamecube just to play Twin Snakes. I've been wanting to replay MGS1 for a while but the PS1 version is wayyy too frustrating to try to play nowadays. And I really liked MGS2's graphical style. Never played Twin Snakes, but it sounds like a neat version to try.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

Aurain posted:

TTS' big problem is that it uses MGS1's level and enemy layout despite using all of MGS2's gameplay enhancements. It makes the game too easy because it wasn't designed to be played with first person aiming, basically.

I find I actually have the opposite problem... I loaded up Twin Snakes after beating MGS2 HD, and I still haven't gotten to Vulcan Raven. Not for lack of trying, but that I just keep getting caught over and over.
The Gamecube controller really shows its limits for a game like MGS, as well.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'll always appreciate Twin Snakes for the dumb cutscenes and the PAL card shortcuts, but I think the original is just a better game overall. I think the voice actors' hearts were in it more since they sounded like they weren't really interested or engaged in the material in Twin Snakes save for a couple of them. Getting the guy who directed Versus to do the cutscenes was genius stroke, but from what I understood he wanted to have straight forward stuff while Kojima urged him to cut loose.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

There were PAL card shortcuts in Twin Snakes?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Jimbot posted:

I'll always appreciate Twin Snakes for the dumb cutscenes and the PAL card shortcuts, but I think the original is just a better game overall. I think the voice actors' hearts were in it more since they sounded like they weren't really interested or engaged in the material in Twin Snakes save for a couple of them. Getting the guy who directed Versus to do the cutscenes was genius stroke, but from what I understood he wanted to have straight forward stuff while Kojima urged him to cut loose.

I heard he went straight because he thought that was what was expected, and changed when Kojima was disappointed.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Speedball posted:

There were PAL card shortcuts in Twin Snakes?

They took out the whole temperature thing for the card, so you can just put the keys in.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Crappy Jack posted:

They took out the whole temperature thing for the card, so you can just put the keys in.

Not quite. In Rex's Hangar, there's a small balcony you can drop down to in Twin Snakes that has two pipes, one with steam and one with liquid nitrogen. Shoot the steam pipe and the PAL card instantly becomes red hot. Shoot the liquid nitro and Snake miraculously avoids freezing solid while also simultaneously deep freezing the card.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

You still had to make the cards hot and cold, but with some trickery you could find your way to a small area in the Rex hangar (aka the area right outside the room where you had to use the cards) that had pipes running with both CO2 and steam or some such, and you could shoot either one and use whatever came out to make the card either hot or cold. No need to run all the way back to the place where you fought Raven or the steelworks.

E: Beaten!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

But if you skip the elevator don't you also skip the parts where you hear conversations revealing Naomi's deception and Rex's true purpose and such? Huh.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Speedball posted:

But if you skip the elevator don't you also skip the parts where you hear conversations revealing Naomi's deception and Rex's true purpose and such? Huh.

I think those conversations got moved to the hangar itself. I'm not sure though since it's been years since I've played Twin Snakes.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

mr. stefan posted:

I think Hayter explained at some point that they re-recorded because they dubbed MGS in a converted apartment and, if they tried to remaster the original audio track for higher quality files, they'd have no way to eliminate the sound of cars in the background.

Listen carefully for the hobo shouting gently caress you as Psycho Mantis dies. :aaaaa:

The reason I don't like Twin Snakes as much myself is because it's much more difficult to control than the PSX installment. It uses the camera and AI from MGS2 but the level design is not altered to take this into account at all. It creates a weird balance where like the tank hangar at the beginning is probably the most difficult part of the game. But then stuff that could have been made more interesting due to the new controls/options is made trivially simple like some of the boss fights. The PSX version's camera is incredible (for the time) by comparison when taking cover and sneaking around.

I mean it's Metal Gear Solid, it's still totally awesome, but I played them both recently and still preferred the PSX game.

Something else to keep in mind is what you're playing Twin Snakes on. If you're not running it on a Gamecube with composite or component it looks REALLY muddy. Like if you have it on your Wii and that's hooked up to do 720p or any other pass through it's very noticeable to me. I think this gave the game a bad rap visually on release because if you were a reviewer or a super hardcore gamer you of course had your Gamecube hooked up with its component cable for 480p gaming, which made many of its first party games actually look worse as Nintendo developed everything assuming you were running it on composite. With many of today's tvs people end up playing their Gamecube stuff on a Wii running at 720p or through an HDMI adapter which makes the game look really unpleasant.

MGS1's graphics are primitive by today's standards but both MGS1 and Silent Hill 1 made very effective use of what they had and went for a really grungy look in general, so they hold up very nicely atmospherically (both having incredible music and sound effects is a big part of that of course).

Which brings me to Twin Snake's music, it's great. I think I mentioned earlier but I'm kind of impressed with how every Metal Gear game ever has great music despite the very convoluted development their soundtracks go through. Like Snake's Revenge on the NES was done by one of Konami's lesser known people but it ended up being one of the better NES soundtracks. Twin Snake's had a huge mix of stuff from various Konami in-house composers, Harry Gregson-Williams, and Silicon Knights' in house guy Steve Henefin. It's great. EVERY AREA has five unique music tracks (for normal, caution, evasion, intruder and alert), it's a pretty impressive spread of stuff, many of which are subtle remixes of various songs from the franchise. Though I do miss the removal of classic alert track from MGS1, easily one of the best video game songs ever.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Speedball posted:

When you freeze/heat the card the conversations get triggered anyway.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

Though I do miss the removal of classic alert track from MGS1, easily one of the best video game songs ever.

I agree that Encounter is one of the best songs, but if its removal meant getting this, even for one area, I'm perfectly ok with that.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Didn't Hayter end up taking a paycut in order to get most of the original MGS voices back for TTS?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

RatHat posted:

Didn't Hayter end up taking a paycut in order to get most of the original MGS voices back for TTS?

He did! The guy is cool as hell.

They've been keeping a lid on what the bosses are going to be like this time around…which means, I think, Kojima might be gearing up to pull the rug out from under us in some way. I sure hope so!

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

havenwaters posted:

When you freeze/heat the card the conversations get triggered anyway.

The entire conversation with Naomi has been relocated to the REX hangar, even if you don't use the shortcut. (I think it worked better in the original, getting the call in the elevator.)

As for the music, I'm not a big fan of TTS's soundtrack, but I guess that's a matter of taste, the real problem is that a lot of codec conversations that had music playing in the original have none at all in TTS. The lackluster voice acting doesn't help.

It's the same with REX's hangar, there's no music at all in the remake, just ambient noise.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Butt Ghost posted:

Why did people hate Twin Snakes again? Especially with gems such as:
It has bad MGS cutscenes because they make Snake Neo.

But the cut-scenes are fun in a ridiculous way because it makes Snake Neo. It's like if someone remade the original Die Hard with Matrix action scenes and not understanding why it doesn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Ausmund posted:

It has bad MGS cutscenes because they make Snake Neo.

But the cut-scenes are fun in a ridiculous way because it makes Snake Neo. It's like if someone remade the original Die Hard with Matrix action scenes and not understanding why it doesn't work.

Yeah, the flippy missile backflips aren't the problem, it's the fact Snake does them which has never been seen otherwise. If Grey Fox appeared and did the missile backflip bit it'd be fine.

I like to imagine Twin Snakes is how Snake tells the story in a bar trying to pick up a woman or how Otacon gushes about it on the MyJapaneseAnimes.com forums.

• Locked thread