Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

joats posted:

I think this was an old myth that has since been proven wrong.

It's actually been found in the code that pretty much everything that is supposed to be 'auto-hit' on an enemy Pokemon actually has 255/256 accuracy, or a 1/256 chance to completely miss. This includes Swift and the Master Ball at all times (both of which are supposed to always connect) as well as any 'natural 100%' accurate attacks like the 95-power elemental line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.

A Bystander posted:

IT WAS FLAREON! THEY SHOT DIGRAT.

Redditors, come out to playyy-ayyyy.... Redditooors, come out to playyy-ayyyy....

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I can't decide which is better.

FFSabin
Jul 3, 2004

ぐるぐる

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
How many times have they tried to get into the daycare?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ledge 3: Rise of the Ledgi

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Mr. Locke posted:

It's actually been found in the code that pretty much everything that is supposed to be 'auto-hit' on an enemy Pokemon actually has 255/256 accuracy, or a 1/256 chance to completely miss. This includes Swift and the Master Ball at all times (both of which are supposed to always connect) as well as any 'natural 100%' accurate attacks like the 95-power elemental line.
I'm pretty sure both Swift and the Master Ball skip the accuracy check, so they avoid the 1/256 bug.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Ba Donk a Bonk posted:

I'm pretty sure both Swift and the Master Ball skip the accuracy check, so they avoid the 1/256 bug.

They would normally, but this is Gen 1.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Quest For Glory II posted:

Ledge 3: Rise of the Ledgi

I dunno, we've been successful in getting into the Daycare all other times.

Of course we just fumble around before walking out again but still

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

The fanart this thing generates is loving bonkers.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Mr. Locke posted:

Again, this is not true about master ball.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

:drat:

As much as I love the real fan art I have a massive weakness for the photoshops of pokemon heads glued onto people's shoulders

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Yeah, Game Freak made some absolutely terrible coding mistakes (Focus Energy multiplying the user's crit rate by .75 instead of 1.75 is pretty squarely in "lol" territory), but they managed to make sure the master ball actually works as advertised.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

This is the cutest thing. :3:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
RBY are too annoying to play anymore without running shoes. It's true.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I wake up, and Big Dig is gone.

:negative:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

So... has anyone figured out what these guys are trying to do right now? They've ended up on the route between Saffron and Vermillion.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

rudatron posted:

Wake up and Bid Dig is gone.

:negative:

He dug his way out of the PC because he was tired of all this poo poo. Let nobody tell you otherwise. :colbert:

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Is there a source on this? It looks awesome as hell.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

VBA has an on-demand "speed this the gently caress up" button. Sure you careen into walls at warp speed but the only thing it's gonna gently caress up is your play time (or any poisoned pokemon)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

You mean roller skates. :v:

Seriously, though, I can't go back to still sprites after Gen V and VI.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

VBA has an on-demand "speed this the gently caress up" button. Sure you careen into walls at warp speed but the only thing it's gonna gently caress up is your play time (or any poisoned pokemon)
Someone needs to figure out which key does that and spam it in the chat.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
i really, really wish they'd pause the playthrough for like an hour and add anything still throwing in commands to the ban list, it seems like every 30 seconds the stream vomits up a page long string of anarchy votes

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Someone needs to figure out which key does that and spam it in the chat.

Well if they were using a GBA emulator it'd probably render in color. Fair bet this is a custom or heavily modified emulator expressly for the purpose of doing this.

Besides, we already can't handle cliffs. Imagine that at 8000% speed

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Well if they were using a GBA emulator it'd probably render in color. Fair bet this is a custom or heavily modified emulator expressly for the purpose of doing this.

I'm pretty sure it's just a python script.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You mean roller skates. :v:

Seriously, though, I can't go back to still sprites after Gen V and VI.

Gen V was still sprites :ssh:

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Nah its most likely just visual boy advance running in black and white color mode.

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010
I'm not even sure what they're trying to accomplish anymore. Are they heading to Seafoam?

Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Yeah, people are really misunderstanding how much the streamer created. The main thing they did was create a script to read the twitch chat room and convert certain words into actions, and then later the democracy/anarchy stuff that was added after Spinnergateazi.

Everything else seems to be "off the shelf," so to speak. The stuff from the script is being fed into a regular version of some emulator (VBA?) set to original Game Boy mode for nostalgia purposes. The ROM itself is probably just a Red Romhack that's been floating around for a while, and the Safari Zone "hack" was just going to be memory editing stuff via the emulator's built in cheat editor.

Don't get me wrong, it's still impressive. But it's more of a good idea that the streamer had instead of something that was extremely difficult to create.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Ablative posted:

Gen V was still sprites :ssh:

No, they were sprites, but they were animated. Gen IV was still sprites.

Rhycool
Jul 15, 2012

I was briefly going to ask for a quick summary, but now I understand everything. :allears:

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Welcome to "A Bunch Of Bored Nerds with IRC Bots Play Pokemon"

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

What are they doing here? Where are they going?

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

CraigK posted:

i really, really wish they'd pause the playthrough for like an hour and add anything still throwing in commands to the ban list, it seems like every 30 seconds the stream vomits up a page long string of anarchy votes

yo

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

I'm pretty sure it's just a python script.

Well that's boring

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

boredsatellite posted:

I think they're going for Mt. Moon but I have no idea how they ended up here that way.

Enilev
Jun 11, 2001

Domesticated

Amidiri posted:

I'm not even sure what they're trying to accomplish anymore. Are they heading to Seafoam?

boredsatellite posted:

I think they're trying to get to the daycare so they can drop off a Pokemon there, and then they'll just be able to spam 'a' to get Zapdos out of the PC.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

CraigK posted:

Welcome to "A Bunch Of Bored Nerds with IRC Bots Play Pokemon"

If you actually look a vast majority of any system votes are just being done by bots now. Somewhere Max Weber is giggling in his loving grave.

edit: That tipped my hand as someone doing an MA in the humanities at lot harder than I wanted it to.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 24, 2014

Rhycool
Jul 15, 2012

Enilev posted:

I think they're trying to get to the daycare so they can drop off a Pokemon there, and then they'll just be able to spam 'a' to get Zapdos out of the PC.

And as always, it'll be a joy to see how everything goes predictably wrong in an unpredictable manner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I wasn't sure if those numbers were the program giving unique names a numerical ID or if those are the actual names but if all those names are <name><number string> then they're obviously all bots.

• Locked thread