Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

DoctorStrangelove posted:

So is there any reason why we ditched our Psychic type for a water type that's already weaker than Lapras?

It is a higher level than Lapras, and he will evolve soon. If we teach it surf, it will be much better than Lapras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Actually I read it all wrong. Welp.

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

I can't wait to see how the Elite 4 will turn out. If they want to stand any chance they'll need hyper potions and revives in bulk. Watching them try to buy a whole bunch will be hilarious because they'll probably waste a whole bunch of money buying PPUPs or Awakenings in the process. Not to mention the hilarity that'll ensue when they use hyper potions on Pokemon with only like 10 HP lost.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Apples McGrind posted:

I can't wait to see how the Elite 4 will turn out. If they want to stand any chance they'll need hyper potions and revives in bulk. Watching them try to buy a whole bunch will be hilarious because they'll probably waste a whole bunch of money buying PPUPs or Awakenings in the process. Not to mention the hilarity that'll ensue when they use hyper potions on Pokemon with only like 10 HP lost.

Literally the only option for them is to throw themselves against the E4 as many times as possible until it's beatable in one shot.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Rei_ posted:

Literally the only option for them is to throw themselves against the E4 as many times as possible until it's beatable in one shot.

I remember doing this with a level 100 Mewtwo, but my main problem in that run was running out of PP before Gary.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
At least it's (I believe) a good place to grind. Right next to the respawn, can't run from a trainer battle and high level Pokemons so they get lots of xp.

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

I remember doing this with a level 100 Mewtwo, but my main problem in that run was running out of PP before Gary.

So basically our only hope is having Bird Jesus and Zapdos at level 100 to do this?

It's going to take weeks to level them up.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Apples McGrind posted:

So basically our only hope is having Bird Jesus and Zapdos at level 100 to do this?

It's going to take weeks to level them up.

Naw, I think we can it fine just at level 60, it just was a pain to do with a single Pokémon where your moveset was amnesia, psychic, blizzard and recover.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

So I did a very silly thing:

Planning to send them to Wonder Trade, here's hoping they end up in the hands of other TPP fans. Thinking of breeding a few Flareons holding Dome Fossils too while I'm at it, to represent the other side of the great theological debate.

Just a shame I can't teach them Bide :v:.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Have they gotten the Blizzard TM in this dungeon yet? It could be useful on Lapras.

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

Naw, I think we can it fine just at level 60, it just was a pain to do with a single Pokémon where your moveset was amnesia, psychic, blizzard and recover.

I think you're underestimating the E4.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last Pokemon they face is a level 60 Dragonite. And they have close to 15 other Pokemon, all hovering around level 50, they have to deal with before that, in succession, without any Pokemon centers in between. To expect them to make it through that with a barrage of Quick Attacks and Sand Attacks, with no Potions is nuts. They need to at least have the two big birds at level 70. At least.

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

Paul.Power posted:

Planning to send them to Wonder Trade, here's hoping they end up in the hands of other TPP fans. Thinking of breeding a few Flareons holding Dome Fossils too while I'm at it, to represent the other side of the great theological debate.

Holy poo poo, I'm turning on my 3DS when I get home in some hopeless attempt to get one.

Buh
May 17, 2008
After ten days of endlessly consulting the Helix Fossil, we were never gonna bench the dude after.
I expected more turmoil between use it vs keep it, since we can no longer consult the Fossil in times of trial. At least we still have the Lift Key, and the soothing cry of Bulbasaur.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
They just spent half an hour trying to hit the secret switch in the statue, then hit it twice and walked away.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Apples McGrind posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last Pokemon they face is a level 60 Dragonite. And they have close to 15 other Pokemon, all hovering around level 50, they have to deal with before that, in succession, without any Pokemon centers in between. To expect them to make it through that with a barrage of Quick Attacks and Sand Attacks, with no Potions is nuts. They need to at least have the two big birds at level 70. At least.

They have to face a total of 26 Pokemon. 4x5 E4s and our Rival who has a full set.

The Metal Hengst
Oct 25, 2007

Apples McGrind posted:

If it's anything to go by the Pokemon Blue stream had a lv. 92 Blastoise by the time they finished the Elite 4.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Now I remember why i hated the mansion.

edit: I beat the elite four in Sapphire, and Diamond with a starter, and one other pokemon. E4 in gen1 should be brute force-able for Red, and his crew of misfits.

Popy fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 24, 2014

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Apples McGrind posted:

Holy poo poo, I'm turning on my 3DS when I get home in some hopeless attempt to get one.
If you want I could trade you one of them directly. Alternatively, if you have Y you should be able to find Helix Fossils in Glittering Cave postgame, so you might be able to make a home-grown ABBBBBBK( :).

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

They managed to get omanyte without releasing it? I'm impressed

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man, I know it goes without saying, but Twitch chat is particularly awful since apparently "we need to ___ Misty!" has become a meme

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

DoctorStrangelove posted:

So is there any reason why we ditched our Psychic type for a water type that's already weaker than Lapras?

Yeah, I wish they'd dumped Lapras instead. Omanyte is a cool as hell Pokemon but they really ought to have Drowzee with them.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
Reddit is probably too emotionally invested in *~the mythos~* and completing the game at this point for any continued hilarity from PC fuckups or bumbling incompetence in battle. The stream basically died with Omanyte here; their plans are becoming far too elaborate and sensibly executed for this to be enjoyable anymore, and the only hurdles left are mind-numbingly boring.

so, see ya shitlords

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Invictus posted:

Man, I know it goes without saying, but Twitch chat is particularly awful since apparently "we need to ___ Misty!" has become a meme
Particularly since it's just come out of nowhere.

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

How does the kitty cat go?

...meow?

Very gooood.
It's funny because they beat Misty already!!!!!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Kennel posted:

At least it's (I believe) a good place to grind. Right next to the respawn, can't run from a trainer battle and high level Pokemons so they get lots of xp.

Yeah they can basically just keep brute forcing the E4 until they level up enough to beat them. I mean they were the original end-game, you would just beat them over and over until your pokemon were in the 80s/90s (and you were bored to tears) and then go show your friends how much of a life you don't have.

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

Paul.Power posted:

If you want I could trade you one of them directly. Alternatively, if you have Y you should be able to find Helix Fossils in Glittering Cave postgame, so you might be able to make a home-grown ABBBBBBK( :).

I will gladly take an Abby at least. I'll pm you my friend code.

Edit: Yeah, you apparently can't receive PM's.

Apples McGrind fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 24, 2014

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

When I first woke up and looked at the stream it was exactly on time to watch them release a Pokemon (AWEWWW or something like that?), then the second time they managed to get Pidgeot and Lapras out of the PC relatively easily. Now I check again in the afternoon and they're at Cinnabar. :allears:

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Paul.Power posted:

You could probably sell those to the Reddit spergs.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
So, did anything terrible happen in the last few hours? Did they managed to get omanyte?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Pidgeot nearly OHKO'd a Koffing with Sludge :stare:

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

notoriousman posted:

Reddit is probably too emotionally invested in *~the mythos~* and completing the game at this point for any continued hilarity from PC fuckups or bumbling incompetence in battle. The stream basically died with Omanyte here; their plans are becoming far too elaborate and sensibly executed for this to be enjoyable anymore, and the only hurdles left are mind-numbingly boring.

so, see ya shitlords

Eh, this was more or less inevitable since the beginning. Like there's no way it was going to be chaos all the way to the end as the userbase diluted and the 'hardcore' fans got more elaborate and organized, consolidating their expertise and coordination into more direct methods of control through bots and documentation and circulation of plans. Hell, this is how I assumed it was going to go since the beginning. Now the only real chaos will be sort of erratic running around the overworld.

The funny thing is that for all of their whining about democracy, it was the only tool the disorganized groups had to leverage any sort of movement over the poke elite early on. The same people who decry Democracy are also the same people who have organized well enough to use it to carry out the most detailed plans, Start9 has been relegated to one or two pity votes in each democratic swing.

Nerds love to win and make memes about it, and the easiest way for them to get what they want and simultaneously cry about it is the method that things were always going to trend towards.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 24, 2014

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

Yeah they can basically just keep brute forcing the E4 until they level up enough to beat them.

Even in a normal playthrough it's the best place to grind levels in the postgame. They'll beat it eventually.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

So that's what that feels like
Want to bet how many people will be getting helix shell tattoos because of this stream?

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
The Guardian covered Twitch Plays Pokemon, and interviewed the creator.

quote:

“I’ve received a lot of requests to continue with the Pokémon franchise after the Elite Four and the Pokémon Champion get defeated, so I’m going to do that. I’m still deciding which of the generation 2 Pokémon games to go with.”

The entire article is here: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/feb/24/twitch-plays-pokemon

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The Monkey Man posted:

The entire article is here: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/feb/24/twitch-plays-pokemon

Excellent! Gen 2's soundtrack is a lot less grating over long periods of time, so I'll be able to watch the stream unmuted when they go to it :toot:

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I think gen 2 is even worse about precise movement, cutting, and mazes/ledges.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I hate the sperg lords ruining the streaming video game pokemon that come from Redditt which is full of poo poo lords.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

The Monkey Man posted:

Bullshit it's not over until we get teamwiped by Mewtwo in the Unknown Dungeon

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Manslaughter posted:

I think gen 2 is even worse about precise movement, cutting, and mazes/ledges.

You can cut trees by just pushing A next to it in Gen 2, so at least that won't be a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The majority of the stream doesn't seem to realize the beds can be used, and are slowly dragging Red away with one surviving Pokemon. :allears:

tbp posted:

I hate the sperg lords ruining the streaming video game pokemon that come from Redditt which is full of poo poo lords.

Boy howdy that's a real bad post mister tbp

• Locked thread