Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Remora
Aug 15, 2010

The Monkey Man posted:

The Guardian covered Twitch Plays Pokemon, and interviewed the creator.

The entire article is here: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/feb/24/twitch-plays-pokemon

I am really excited about that. I hope it's G/S, those were always my favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

As the generations go along, a lot of the bullshit we had to deal with in gen 1 disappears, so there's that

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

el burbo posted:

As the generations go along, a lot of the bullshit we had to deal with in gen 1 disappears, so there's that

Yeah, but there are new mechanics to gently caress up, too. I doubt we'll ever get a Pokemon to carry a useful item.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

TVTropes posted:

Bird Jesus and Air are withdrawn with no casualties, while the Keeper is left in the PC. Anarchy is restored, and the team is finalized: Moon King Fonz, ATV, Air, Anarchy Jesus, Bird Jesus, and Lord Helix. The mob is distressed over abandoning Keeper, but they decide to move on and not risk angering the PC.

I love how the PC has evolved into a terrifying god of wrath. :allears:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
They've been in the Mansion for over an hour and have accomplished precisely gently caress all. They only have Lapras left, so they're pretty likely to black out.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Did gen 2 add the prompt to use HM moves on the field if you had them?

I look forward to Gen 2's ice caves - strength puzzles on ice should be fun to watch.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Apples McGrind posted:

I think you're underestimating the E4.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last Pokemon they face is a level 60 Dragonite. And they have close to 15 other Pokemon, all hovering around level 50, they have to deal with before that, in succession, without any Pokemon centers in between. To expect them to make it through that with a barrage of Quick Attacks and Sand Attacks, with no Potions is nuts. They need to at least have the two big birds at level 70. At least.

You left out the rival fight that's after the Elite 4.

Our rival is going to be using a level 65 Blastoise as his final monster. Oh, he knows Blizzard? Which was 90% accurate in Gen I? And both our best Pokemon are weak against Ice?

I can't wait to see how the stream handles this.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

Did gen 2 add the prompt to use HM moves on the field if you had them?

I look forward to Gen 2's ice caves - strength puzzles on ice should be fun to watch.

They're doing Generation II?

I'd bet against them clearing Pryce's Gym, but somehow I get the feeling they'll get it in one try.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I love how the PC has evolved into a terrifying god of wrath. :allears:

don't quote tvtropes

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
wait... zapdos is weak to ice?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

something posted:

Flying type.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

something posted:

Yeah, Ice is strong against Flying. With Venomoth being Bug-type, that means that three of our Pokemon are weak to Ice.

EDIT: Wait, Nidoking is Ground, which makes it four.

2nd EDIT: Wait, Bug isn't weak to ice, never mind.

The Monkey Man fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 24, 2014

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
:downs: I haven't touched pokemon in a long while

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Apples McGrind posted:

I think you're underestimating the E4.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last Pokemon they face is a level 60 Dragonite. And they have close to 15 other Pokemon, all hovering around level 50, they have to deal with before that, in succession, without any Pokemon centers in between. To expect them to make it through that with a barrage of Quick Attacks and Sand Attacks, with no Potions is nuts. They need to at least have the two big birds at level 70. At least.

All they have to do is send out Nidoking and Dragonite will do nothing but spam Agility endlessly to no effect thanks to how the AI is programmed.

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.
So I'm... kinda lost. Last time I was here, I remember that Twitch caught Zapdos.
Can anyone tell me what happened after that? Thanks in advance.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

The Monkey Man posted:

Yeah, Ice is strong against Flying. With Venomoth being Bug-type, that means that three of our Pokemon are weak to Ice.

Bug isn't weak to Ice.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Apples McGrind posted:

I will gladly take an Abby at least. I'll pm you my friend code.

Edit: Yeah, you apparently can't receive PM's.
Yeah, sorry about that. Just bought Platinum (one of those things I'd been meaning to do for a while, really), hopefully it'll work now.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The Monkey Man posted:

Bugs aren't weak to Ice.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

GodofDiscord posted:

So I'm... kinda lost. Last time I was here, I remember that Twitch caught Zapdos.

They released it

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
Hahaha, did the stream really go through the effort of handling a PC to deposit a Pokemon to withdraw Omanite?? That's pretty hilarious.

I wish drowsee stayed on the team though, he could have actually been a little useful in upcoming battles once he learned psychic.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Hm... in gen 1, can you overwrite HM moves with ones learned by levelling up?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

something posted:

Hm... in gen 1, can you overwrite HM moves with ones learned by levelling up?

You've never been able to do that.

GodofDiscord posted:

Stupid stuff mostly.

They currently have Pidgeot, Zapdos, Omanyte, Nidorino, Venomoth, and Lapras in the party and they're on Cinnabar.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You've never been able to do that.

Perfect. If lapras makes it to level 25 it will learn body slam and get yet another damaging move.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
I can't tell if this is a new thing we'll see again and again, or if this is really one giant bellyflop of an event that we'll talk about for years to come.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

GodofDiscord posted:

We killed like 90% of all the Pokemon we owned, literally a dozen of them trying to get Zapdos out of the loving PC.

RIP Digrat and DUX

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Captain Invictus posted:

We killed like 90% of all the Pokemon we owned, literally a dozen of them trying to get Zapdos out of the loving PC.

RIP Digrat and DUX

Actually the dozen were killed trying to get the Pidgeot out.

cuz memes

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Whoa, we got Nidoking and Omanyte? This stream is displaying remarkable amounts of accidental competence.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Hoping the poo poo heel meme redditors get a life and out of there parents basement .

Rei_
May 16, 2004

tbp posted:

Hoping the poo poo heel meme redditors get a life and out of there parents basement .

Are you kidding? Their life has purpose now. I want you to imagine the fanart of Blue being murdered violently by a bunch of memes that is inevitably going to start happening soon. The High Priest of the Dome and all that poo poo, it's inevitable at this point.

MrAristocrates posted:

Whoa, we got Nidoking and Omanyte? This stream is displaying remarkable amounts of accidental competence.

It stopped being accidental a while ago and it's why the stream is getting more boring to watch.

DubleDuce
Feb 18, 2011

Rei_ posted:

Actually the dozen were killed trying to get the Pidgeot out.

cuz memes

And, well, the fact that he's our strongest current Pokemon.

If we could actually train Zapdos a bit, that would obviously change. Unfortunately, the chat either runs away from or Pidgeot destroys every wild Pokemon we come across.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Rei_ posted:

Are you kidding? Their life has purpose now. I want you to imagine the fanart of Blue being murdered violently by a bunch of memes that is inevitably going to start happening soon. The High Priest of the Dome and all that poo poo, it's inevitable at this point.

It stopped being accidental a while ago and it's why the stream is getting more boring to watch.

wasn't it all done in anarchy? why are you so upset anyways its all for fun

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

If the dude does do G/S/C, I hope people can leave behind the memes of this run. It's probably wishful thinking but whatever

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
This thing gets declared as Ruined/Dead Forever by people in this thread every single day.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

something posted:

wasn't it all done in anarchy? why are you so upset anyways its all for fun

I'm just annoyed that the redditors have been so successful in building a loving meme playground.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Yeah, all this meme poo poo sucks. I much prefer things to be like the Blue stream where everything was super serious rather than fun.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Just laugh at those nerds, and hold onto the actually good content made.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Cheekio posted:

I can't tell if this is a new thing we'll see again and again, or if this is really one giant bellyflop of an event that we'll talk about for years to come.

Well, according to that Guardian article someone linked, the streamer is planning on doing Gen 2 next. Gonna be great.

I foresee a level 61 Noctowl holding HM03 for 80% of the game.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
They inadvertently made their team worse by following the memes, which I find hilarious. They traded Drowzee for Omanyte, and Drowzee(if he learned Psychic) would've been far better than THE BASED HELIX GOD

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Reddit was in this from day one, I'd have thought most people would have learnt to deal with it by now. If you are seriously upset that a popular internet thing is producing stupid memes you might be new to the internet. It's not that hard to tune out the chat and just enjoy watching what happens on the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gen 2 has no fossils, thank christ.

• Locked thread