Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Shanakin posted:

Anyway now that I have that working, are there any good/recommended community alternatives to the training videos? Missions or videos? The video quality is horrible and the audio is often worse. I'm going to go searching youtube.

You can actually play those missions yourself. Start a single mission and browse out of the default directory - go to the FC2 (i think) directory - the training missions should be somewhere in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alr
May 14, 2009
Anyone with DCS:A10C know if there are any texture issues or something with the LITENING pod's video feed? I've followed the tutorials etc, it's just half the time I try and use the A-G mode it comes up as a blank white screen, the other half it works fine. Basically means I need to check it immediately at the start of a mission and restart if it's not working.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

alr posted:

Anyone with DCS:A10C know if there are any texture issues or something with the LITENING pod's video feed? I've followed the tutorials etc, it's just half the time I try and use the A-G mode it comes up as a blank white screen, the other half it works fine. Basically means I need to check it immediately at the start of a mission and restart if it's not working.

Perhaps an obvious question, but is the TGP boresighted and looking at the sky? Try slewing it down or slave it to a steerpoint that's near the ground (china hat aft long). If that's not it, try changing to different thermal/CCD viewing modes (boat switch fore/center/aft) and if it's in a thermal mode try lowering the gain (MFCD button on the left, by default it's set to 4 I believe).

alr
May 14, 2009
Yeah, for all I know it could be something insanely obvious, I've only had the sim for a few days and only mucked around with the main gun up until now. There's a particular tutorial with the guided bombs that has you set your waypoint as the firing range, set that waypoint to your SPI(?) and then set your pod to focus on that waypoint area. Followed the highlighted buttons exactly and just came up with a white screen while the tutorial voiceover continued as though I should be able to see something. I could set the right MFD to SOI, could see the standard green overlay text etc it's just the video feed remained pure white.

Edit; seems to be working fine now, not entirely sure what I was doing wrong but whatever. Brrrrvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvttt is fun.

alr fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 17, 2014

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~
Edit: Nevermind.

Oglogoth fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 17, 2014

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I'm reposting this from the last goon VATSIM night because I asked Kilo to do it and he didn't so I think he's embarrassed or something:

http://www.twitch.tv/kilonum2/c/2775868

(really I think it's just a good video of some moderate tower traffic)

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Das Butterbrot posted:

You can actually play those missions yourself. Start a single mission and browse out of the default directory - go to the FC2 (i think) directory - the training missions should be somewhere in there.

Cool, thanks. I didn't know about that.

alr posted:

Yeah, for all I know it could be something insanely obvious, I've only had the sim for a few days and only mucked around with the main gun up until now. There's a particular tutorial with the guided bombs that has you set your waypoint as the firing range, set that waypoint to your SPI(?) and then set your pod to focus on that waypoint area. Followed the highlighted buttons exactly and just came up with a white screen while the tutorial voiceover continued as though I should be able to see something. I could set the right MFD to SOI, could see the standard green overlay text etc it's just the video feed remained pure white.

Edit; seems to be working fine now, not entirely sure what I was doing wrong but whatever. Brrrrvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvttt is fun.

Your plane can also get in the way of the camera, giving that kind of effect.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
So one of my classes is buzzing around in a Frasca sim. Today was practicing standard rate turns. I already have my ppl so this is all pretty rudimentary stuff, I decided to have some fun with it.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

So it's been almost a year since I could get FSX to run, and I finally figured out that a botched ie11 install messed it up.

So I'm trying to remember how to fly the default jets and I keep losing my engines in the 737. I get mad and blow everything away and go for an install.

Right when the un-install gets to the point of no return, I remember that I mapped fuel mixture to one of my throttles, so that's why it would die when I pulled my throttles full back.

now I need to wait for it to download and re-install.

I feel dumb, but GFWL is dumber.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The default 737 really sucks unfortunately. I recommend that you pick up the NGX or even the iFly 737 if you want to fly a 737.

I can't stop flying the Lancair. Something great about 10.3gph at cruise I like flying to all of the different places I would fly to if I ever got one.

What are the good GA planes for XPlane again? Anything good come out recently?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

sellouts posted:

The default 737 really sucks unfortunately. I recommend that you pick up the NGX or even the iFly 737 if you want to fly a 737.

I can't stop flying the Lancair. Something great about 10.3gph at cruise I like flying to all of the different places I would fly to if I ever got one.

I know the default 737 is pretty terrible, but I'm just playing around for today.

Downloaded the free 152 from the OP, flew a few circuits of Springbank airport instead.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

sellouts posted:

The Legacy is by far my favorite plane in FSX. The Bay Tower RV7 is pretty good too though.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

The Carenado stuff is really good. I got the updated Baron a while back and like it a lot.

This one guy has gotten good at faking glass cockpits: http://aerobask.com/

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Goetta posted:

The Carenado stuff is really good. I got the updated Baron a while back and like it a lot.

Eh, I have to kind of disagree on this, they're still very much 'looks nice, but...'. The V35 for example, when it was updated for 64bit they just copied the A36 avionics scripts as-is, unfortunately, this means that half of the gauges don't work as they're supposed to (largely because the A36 code was sloppy to start with, an example: the author uses the same custom dataref name for his internal representations of fuel remaining and fuel flow, so the two clash), and debugging someone else's 'custom avionics' scripts is a nightmare.

There are still better freeware models (the Remos GX and Tecnam Bravo are my favourites) in terms of flight dynamics. But yeah, they're pretty, and they DO fly a little better than their FSX versions.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
That's fair, I'm still at the 'golly that looks pretty' level of needs when it comes to flight simulator detail.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Goetta posted:

That's fair, I'm still at the 'golly that looks pretty' level of needs when it comes to flight simulator detail.

Fly some Frasca instrument flight trainers and you'll be happy to just have a screen lol.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Have a youtube series where a guy with an IFR rating does a really good job explaining how to follow an approach chart and land a plane in FSX as he goes through History Channel's 10 most extreme airports.

Each episode is in 2 parts 1 goes through the reasons why the airport is XTREEEME, then brings up the approach plates he uses and how to use them to get on the ground, follow procedure turns, etc. The second part is him landing, while narrating and explaining where is eyes are and what signals he's looking for on each point in the approach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6gMk0hmgIA&index=21&list=PLEAE01218073C8FF5

his Kai Tak is really cool.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
You can finally register your FC3 key on Steam now by the way if anyone else is like me and has forgotten to check in a while.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Jonny Nox posted:

Have a youtube series where a guy with an IFR rating does a really good job explaining how to follow an approach chart and land a plane in FSX as he goes through History Channel's 10 most extreme airports.

Each episode is in 2 parts 1 goes through the reasons why the airport is XTREEEME, then brings up the approach plates he uses and how to use them to get on the ground, follow procedure turns, etc. The second part is him landing, while narrating and explaining where is eyes are and what signals he's looking for on each point in the approach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6gMk0hmgIA&index=21&list=PLEAE01218073C8FF5

his Kai Tak is really cool.

This guy is really good. I love his attention to detail, and he actually does a great job flying the approaches.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey all, just thought it was worth asking here in case this actually exists.

So, if there are any Rise of Flight players here, is there by any chance a mod that triples (at least) the recovery time after being wounded in action? Since I mean, as much of a badass my current German pilot is (double ace in a D.VIII in a fortnight, triple ace the following day. :black101: One of his kills even being with the luger, shooting a strut on the wing of a SPAD, causing it to break apart, as the other strut on the wing was already partially damaged), getting shot three times by an RE8 gunner does not warrant only five days in hospital, as much as I'd like to get every day's worth of flying in before the end of the war.

Thanks

EDIT: vvv Yeah, the new(ish) career mode is pretty good; worth giving a shot for sure, I think. It's basically all I've done, at this point.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Feb 24, 2014

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I keep forgetting I own Rise of Flight. Then when I want to reinstall, I remember I'll have to do that weird joystick-stuff for each plane due to trim not existing and get really dissuaded :(

Cant really answer your question Im afraid, but is the SP campaign worth giving a run? I'm honestly considering reinstalling now that I'm reminded I own the game and a few planes, and just dealing with that joystick poo poo like a man.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I own RoF and haven't played it all that much. What do you mean joystick stuff? Curves for each plane or such?

Also: Is there somewhere that explains to a complete newbie how to construct a civilian flight? I know there's a repository where you can enter two airports and download a submitted plan but I don't understand any of it or how to actually navigate or build a flight plan.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
http://www.vatsim.net/prc/ has several guides for many aspects of flying and flight planning.

http://pilotcerts.laartcc.org/page/ratings.html Expands on those lessons with practical tests. Even if you chose to experiment with these offline, I think they're a great resource.

Go to https://www.skyvector.com and plot some courses between various places. Check out the Sectional and Low/High chart depictions. Use the above guides for help with how to read them. I encourage folks to start with simple VFR point-to-point flights to get familiar with transiting various types of airspace and terrain.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 24, 2014

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Also come to our IRC channel.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Major Isoor posted:

getting shot three times by an RE8 gunner does not warrant only five days in hospital, as much as I'd like to get every day's worth of flying in before the end of the war.

I don't know if such a mod exists, but it might not be too hard to make one. By the way, did you ever look into the components of that RoF mod set I linked you?

Also, I wonder how the hell you seem to be so wildly successful compared to me. It took me 2 campaign months to get 8 kills in my Albatros D.Va. Half our missions we don't even run into targets, I wonder if its just the differences in time period. I'm not that lovely a pilot.

Dandywalken posted:

I keep forgetting I own Rise of Flight. Then when I want to reinstall, I remember I'll have to do that weird joystick-stuff for each plane due to trim not existing and get really dissuaded :(

Cant really answer your question Im afraid, but is the SP campaign worth giving a run? I'm honestly considering reinstalling now that I'm reminded I own the game and a few planes, and just dealing with that joystick poo poo like a man.

Why do you need trim? I find the planes easy enough to fly, after a little bit you get used to holding the stick a certain way to compensate. Certainly easier than adjusting the joystick control inputs to create "trim" that can't be adjusted on the fly. Also, yes, the campaign is pretty cool.

Speaking of Campaigns, you could try looking into Pat Wilson's Campaign Generator as an alternative to the RoF campaign, Isoor. I meant to try it out earlier but I was running into problems with the generated mission crashing (apparently because it didn't like the accent symbol on my guy's name). I did try one mission, but that one, a standard patrol ended almost immediately in my death as shortly after takeoff, my flight which included a named ace, Max Müller got bounced by some marauding S.E.5as and I got pilot shot. Worse still Max went down shortly after me, 3 vs 5 with no altitude/speed was just brutal.

You'll definitely want to download the official and fan-made skinpacks for that though, because it apparently integrates them so you can actually spot aces by their custom colors (when they have them). For example, here was Max's Albatros (he also had big, obvious "M"s painted on the underside of each lower wing, M.M.):

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I own RoF and haven't played it all that much. What do you mean joystick stuff? Curves for each plane or such?

He means setting up the joystick's inputs/neutral point to automatically compensate for stuff like engine torque that more advanced planes would use trim settings for.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 24, 2014

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Ah, yes I have given that a look - although I haven't actually played RoF in the last couple of days, so I haven't been able to try it yet, heh. (Also, what was that mod managed you mention? I don't recall)

Also, as for those ace skin packs, is there a 'complete edition' archive of those? Since I think I remember seeing a massive list of individually-zipped ones somewhere, and that turned me off completely :D

EDIT: Oh yeah, and what year are you flying in? I think all of my careers have been in 1918 and maybe one starting in late 1917.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

There is the official Skinpack and then Pat Wilson has links to skinpacks by plane.

As for my own career, my German career has gone from Nov 1917 to mid-early January now.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Also: Is there somewhere that explains to a complete newbie how to construct a civilian flight? I know there's a repository where you can enter two airports and download a submitted plan but I don't understand any of it or how to actually navigate or build a flight plan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWtupwPeL3o

for airliner type route planning. It's specific to Aerosoft's Airbus 320, but can be transported to other planes easily.

Froogle is kind of an rear end in a top hat, but he does a good tutorial video.

edit: I'm just going to leave this here too
http://www.langleyflyingschool.com/Pages/Classroom.html

edit 2:
want to try a tube liner that's arguably better than the default fsx ones?
http://www.justflight.com/product/757-jetliner-freemium
(registration req'd)

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 25, 2014

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

https://www.indiegala.com/
Rise of Flight bundle, pay 4 bux to get the Steam version of Rise of Flight: Channel Battles Edition and the Legendary Bombers bombers DLC. You get the Channel map, SPAD 13, Nieuport 17, Nieuport 28, Albatros D.Va, Fokker D.VII, Fokker DR.1, Pfalz D.XII, Sopwith Camel, S.E.5a and Felixstowe F.2a in the base pack and Gotha G.V, Handley Page 0-400, DFW C.V and Brandenburg W12 in the bombers DLC along with some field and weapon modifications for them. Pretty good deal.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Megadyptes posted:

https://www.indiegala.com/
Rise of Flight bundle, pay 4 bux to get the Steam version of Rise of Flight: Channel Battles Edition and the Legendary Bombers bombers DLC. You get the Channel map, SPAD 13, Nieuport 17, Nieuport 28, Albatros D.Va, Fokker D.VII, Fokker DR.1, Pfalz D.XII, Sopwith Camel, S.E.5a and Felixstowe F.2a in the base pack and Gotha G.V, Handley Page 0-400, DFW C.V and Brandenburg W12 in the bombers DLC along with some field and weapon modifications for them. Pretty good deal.

Be aware that it ties your RoF account to steam, and thus you're blocked from buying a/c piecemeal on the RoF store (and have to buy planes via the steam DLC packs).

It's a good deal, but that might be a dealbreaker for some, I don't know how it fares if you already have a/c on your account, but given that the RoF store also has a 50% sale til march, might want to hit that first.

Also, the $4 price tier is only for the first 12 hours, of which at least 3-4 have passed. After that passes it's $6 I think it was.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Well that's lame. Guess I'll make a separate account just for the Steam version.

darknrgy
Jul 26, 2003

...wait come back

The Ferret King posted:

I'm reposting this from the last goon VATSIM night because I asked Kilo to do it and he didn't so I think he's embarrassed or something:

http://www.twitch.tv/kilonum2/c/2775868

(really I think it's just a good video of some moderate tower traffic)

This was so fun! I made tons of mistakes but learned a whole lot. If you guys do this again, I'd like to join. I haven't been simming much but I think I can catch up pretty quick.

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008
I've been practicing a bit with dcs a-10c, and I can start up a plane, get the electronics working, and get weapon systems up and functional. I decided to try out the mission Hidout, and I've just been having tons of trouble with the SAM launcher at the enemy base I'm supposed to take out. I just can't seem to find it on the maverick tgp as I fly near the base, and it eventually takes me out every time. Have any tips on spotting them?

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

TheAsterite posted:

I've been practicing a bit with dcs a-10c, and I can start up a plane, get the electronics working, and get weapon systems up and functional. I decided to try out the mission Hidout, and I've just been having tons of trouble with the SAM launcher at the enemy base I'm supposed to take out. I just can't seem to find it on the maverick tgp as I fly near the base, and it eventually takes me out every time. Have any tips on spotting them?

There's a SEAD flight, Enfield, tasked with taking out the enemy air defenses. Attempting to do so yourself is a bad idea. I believe this is mentioned in the briefing.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Yeah. The A-10 is well known to be pretty terrible at performing SEAD beyond the most basic of AA autocannons and man-portable SAM'S and such. The A-10 is meant to perform in airspaces that have already been largely secured by air superiority aircraft, as it is fairly vulnerable to advanced ground and air anti-air threats. Stuff like F15's and F-16's with their advanced radar suites, high speeds, and maneuverability make them better options. Oh and apparently EA-18's and those F-4's that were converted to electronic warfare aircraft have solid roles in it too but I don't think they're in DCS

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

P3D has finally been patched up to a decent standard. So here's a quick flight EGBJ > EGBB.

Didn't like the rain much, so fired up OpusFSX.

Gorgeous lighting on the panel.

Solid performance on my old q9650 & GTX460 with stock settings.

u fink u hard Percy fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 28, 2014

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Daimo posted:

Cool P3D stuff.

This is not free, right? :(

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

The Navion is :)

The rest is Horizon UKVFR, OpusFSX, UK2000 airports and Treescapes.

e: Now I'm seriously tempted to drop a grand on 3 IPS monitors and a new GFX card.

u fink u hard Percy fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 28, 2014

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Daimo posted:

The Navion is :)

The rest is Horizon UKVFR, OpusFSX, UK2000 airports and Treescapes.

But the P3D itself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

kalstrams posted:

But the P3D itself?

$60 gets you an academic license with a watermark.