Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Aphrodite posted:

The yield issues rumor was before Microsoft reduced their launch tiers and indefinitely delayed launch in some regions.

Can't call that one either way, we don't know their expectations.

They sold 3 million of them and there's still poo poo loads in stores. They manufactured the same amount as Sony did and sold less which is what you see on amazon and when you go into a brick and mortar. So unless you think Sony also had yield problems then I think you're going to have to accept that there were no yield problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

King Burgundy posted:

I'm making a possibly incorrect assumption that they aren't getting re-orders due to all the extras. Thus, they should now theoretically have a large build up in their supply chain. Sounds logical to me, but I guess I could be wrong about that.

The consoles are different in different regions, so they can't just divert supply.

ZombieReagan is probably right that it's software and not hardware causing the delay though.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

ZombieReagan posted:

You take that back right now mister!

Great game, but its presentation really suffers once you notice that each and every area is basically a giant, empty box.

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013

Crafty posted:

They sold 3 million of them and there's still poo poo loads in stores. They manufactured the same amount as Sony did and sold less which is what you see on amazon and when you go into a brick and mortar. So unless you think Sony also had yield problems then I think you're going to have to accept that there were no yield problems.

The impressions I'm getting is that Sony is manufacturing more than Microsoft, which explains why there are some Made in Japan versions floating around to meet demand. Sony hardly manufacturers anything in Japan anymore, let alone anything as cost sensitive as the PS4.

Unless Microsoft has around 6 million Xbox Ones floating around (which would suggest a stockpile of 2 million at minimum), they're making less than Sony.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

ZombieReagan posted:

You'd think they would go ahead and launch in other regions as well, but I'm guessing it's got more to do with getting the software translations ready and things like that.
Or more realistically they're having trouble with localisation and Kinect. If rumours of the Kinectless SKU turn out to be true it'd removes those issues and allow them to reach a lower price point.

King Burgundy posted:

I'm making a possibly incorrect assumption that they aren't getting re-orders due to all the extras. Thus, they should now theoretically have a large build up in their supply chain. Sounds logical to me, but I guess I could be wrong about that.
I'm not big on retail contracts or logistics, but I'd imagine there's parts in the contract where they've agreed to get x units/month at a reduced rate. Throw in penalty clauses for underperforming sales and leverage is in retailers' hands. Even if units aren't going to the store itself, they still have to go to a warehouse. That costs money, and the supply chain starts choking at some point.

jeffreyw posted:

The impressions I'm getting is that Sony is manufacturing more than Microsoft, which explains why there are some Made in Japan versions floating around to meet demand. Sony hardly manufacturers anything in Japan anymore, let alone anything as cost sensitive as the PS4.

Unless Microsoft has around 6 million Xbox Ones floating around (which would suggest a stockpile of 2 million at minimum), they're making less than Sony.
I've only heard rough numbers on Sony's manufacturing - just over a million a month since Septemberish?

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

jeffreyw posted:

Either way, you can hardly call 4+ million manufactured 3 months post launch the crippling yield issues that were predicted.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

Aphrodite posted:

The yield issues rumor was before Microsoft reduced their launch tiers and indefinitely delayed launch in some regions.

Can't call that one either way, we don't know their expectations.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Tier 2/3 country delays were because MS were trying to support the extra languages for the voice commands via Kinect? I know there are a few areas out there that should have it now based on language alone but not the majority. Maybe this is where the Kinectless SKU's are going???? :tinfoil:

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Or more realistically they're having trouble with localisation and Kinect. If rumours of the Kinectless SKU turn out to be true it'd removes those issues and allow them to reach a lower price point.

:respek:

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 26, 2014

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

hanyolo posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Tier 2/3 country delays were because MS were trying to support the extra languages for the voice commands via Kinect? I know there are a few areas out there that should have it now based on language alone but not the majority. Maybe this is where the Kinectless SKU's are going???? :tinfoil:
I don't see what's :tinfoil: about a sound business decision. Nevermind that I already said this...
So is it realistic or is it a tinfoil hat theory now? You've changed your opinion since earlier in the thread:

hanyolo posted:

MS seems to be pretty dead set in keeping the Kinect:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-25-microsoft-no-plans-to-release-an-xbox-one-without-kinect

If the sales were worse than they are currently though, then yeah it could have definitely been a possibility. I've seen people flogging the Kinect 2 on ebay for $120+ anyway so if you really really want a Kinectless SKU, you're better off selling it :v:
What games are you looking forward to that will sell this system to others?

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Are you talking about Kinect games specifically? There's quite a few decent games for The One now.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

I don't see what's :tinfoil: about a sound business decision. Nevermind that I already said this...

So is it realistic or is it a tinfoil hat theory now? You've changed your opinion since earlier in the thread:

Yeah I didn't see your post when I replied so I'm agreeing with you, it would be a sound business decision. My opinion will still stand that they won't release a Kinectless SKU in Tier1 countries, but I didn't think about the Tier2 or Tier3 possibility so my opinion has changed there.

Looking forward to PvZ, Titanfall and Kinect Sports. These along with the existing exclusives, the "price drop" and the Party system / 50Hz fix may or may not be enough to sell this system to the average consumer. Two of these are coming out on the 360/PC though so it probably won't be the massive surge people are expecting.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

ZombieReagan posted:

Please post videos on youtube of you playing dance party games.

Wait until the unrivalled twitch experience comes exclusively to The One and you may be in luck.

SparkPeople
Nov 10, 2012

Crafty posted:

He also predicted that the PS4 would be released in October.

If he was never wrong why would the main mod at neogaf be threatening to ban him? Especially considering he's a massive draw to that site and one of the most talked about things in that whole community. I think it's a case of one bullshit too many, unless you want to indulge some of the hilarious conspiracy theories being bandied about.

Personally I prefer ntkrnl's made up poo poo, it's way more exciting.

Which console games on next gen are solid 60 fps outside of Indies? Maybe Forza? If you have a console you are compromising, if it bothers you that much there's a platform out there where all of your wildest dreams can come true, it's called the personal computer. Unfortunately solid 60 fps are going to be very rare I'd reckon, maybe we will see more devs putting in a 30fps option like in Killzone.

What the hell is wrong with you? You posted a literal lie and somehow branded me 'cboats #1 fan' because I called you out. I never said he was always right, but he's been correct more than other leakers, even before the release of the bone and ps4, which is why he has more credibility.

Now you're posting something about graphics because?

King Burgundy posted:

This is just dishonest. It had historically amazing sales in both November and December. That was enough to prove out whether there were any yield issues. Yes, sales dropped off a cliff after that, but it was well after we would have seen supply issues.

I believe the rumour was released before the Tier 1/2/3 schedule got changed around. I could be wrong, I haven't kept up.

Edit: Also historically compared to consoles in general, or just the Xbox brand?

SparkPeople fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 26, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The rumour was in June. In August some Chinese leakers claimed Microsoft had adjusted their expectations down from 7 million to 6.2 (I am not sure over what period that was, but unless it's 2014 they probably aren't hitting it.)

Around then, Microsoft dropped 8 countries from launch day.

With a launch the size they were planning, a yield issue can still leave millions of units to sell. Cboat never said crippling, as far as I can find.

It looks like Microsoft just expected way too much. If they did have yield issues they were probably for the best because they have enough unsold units as it is.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

SparkPeople posted:

I believe the rumour was released before the Tier 1/2/3 schedule got changed around. I could be wrong, I haven't kept up.

Edit: Also historically compared to consoles in general, or just the Xbox brand?

This has already been well trodden since your last post, but even the folks on your side of the argument seem to agree it most likely wasn't yield that caused the schedule change.

And yeah, I was prepared to agree it was probably just vs the xbox brand, but doing some quick googling it looks like it was pretty impressive vs consoles in general. It makes what the PS4 is doing now even more impressive.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

SparkPeople posted:

What the hell is wrong with you? You posted a literal lie and somehow branded me 'cboats #1 fan' because I called you out.

What did I lie about? Think maybe you got me confused with the other guy.

SparkPeople
Nov 10, 2012

King Burgundy posted:

This has already been well trodden since your last post, but even the folks on your side of the argument seem to agree it most likely wasn't yield that caused the schedule change.

And yeah, I was prepared to agree it was probably just vs the xbox brand, but doing some quick googling it looks like it was pretty impressive vs consoles in general. It makes what the PS4 is doing now even more impressive.

I'm not trying to argue anything, but it's hard to get concrete information without people dressing it up with comparisons, speculations, and marketing speak. Last I heard, the schedule change was because of low yields. Now it's because of Kinect integration? I assumed that the commands would be downloaded from a cloud server, like Siri or Google Now. That would also allow for error correction if there was a way to correct your input for better voice commands.

Jeez, at this point I hope the kinect-less rumours come true.

Crafty posted:

Yeah, I did. My bad.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

While all this talk of resolution and yields and how badly the bone is going to fail is SUPER interesting and just as fresh as it was the first 70 times we had the same discussion, I just got an invite code to the dashboard update. I didn't apply either. Anyone else get one?

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Crafty posted:

Wait until the unrivalled twitch experience comes exclusively to The One and you may be in luck.

Its ok on The Four, I know that on my friends The Four he streams a lot of stuff, personally on my The Four I have really just been ignoring streaming altogether.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Laserface posted:

While all this talk of resolution and yields and how badly the bone is going to fail is SUPER interesting and just as fresh as it was the first 70 times we had the same discussion, I just got an invite code to the dashboard update. I didn't apply either. Anyone else get one?

You didn't have to apply. The press release said they selected people, although they didn't say what the selection criteria was.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Spaceman Future! posted:

Its ok on The Four, I know that on my friends The Four he streams a lot of stuff, personally on my The Four I have really just been ignoring streaming altogether.

I feel like The One is the one to watch personally.

Chasiubao posted:

You didn't have to apply. The press release said they selected people, although they didn't say what the selection criteria was.

I believe they chose people who were ' Microsoft ambassadors'. Basically people that answered troubleshooting questions on the Xbox forums version of yahoo answers. Guess they also selected a few random people too!

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Crafty posted:

You said that there are good Kinect games and we all know that is a huge drat lie. :colbert:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Ularg posted:

You said that there are good Kinect games and we all know that is a huge drat lie. :colbert:

I never had a Kinect 1, but that Happy Theater game looked ok. Plus the dancing games worked. Didn't Wreckateer work too? I also thought that Disney park game and Once Upon a Monster looked like solid kid games. I'm basing about 90% of this on watching Giant Bomb play them, though.

Still bummed about the sequel of the mech game that had the huge controller on the original Xbox. I was legitimately interested in that until I saw gameplay.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Soul Glo posted:

I never had a Kinect 1, but that Happy Theater game looked ok. Plus the dancing games worked. Didn't Wreckateer work too? I also thought that Disney park game and Once Upon a Monster looked like solid kid games. I'm basing about 90% of this on watching Giant Bomb play them, though.

Still bummed about the sequel of the mech game that had the huge controller on the original Xbox. I was legitimately interested in that until I saw gameplay.

Yeah, Once Upon a Monster, Kinect Party(Happy Action Theater), and Dance Central were all fantastic.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
The lightsaber part of the Star Wars game was fun. But that was when I was drinking every night.

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.

ZombieReagan posted:

I still don't get why they don't just do what Apple and Google did and use the loving cloud to handle most of the voice commands. Seems like that would take a lot of the trouble out of it. You have to have XBL Gold to do just about anything with it anyway.

People were freaked out enough about a camera + mic in their homes, there's no way they would've accepted the console actually sending everything you do to Microsoft.

Chasiubao posted:

There is a way to invite friends though. Microsoft has a forum thread you use to suggest other people to invite.

The update has also finally added Dolby sound output over optical.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Chick3n posted:

People were freaked out enough about a camera + mic in their homes, there's no way they would've accepted the console actually sending everything you do to Microsoft.

It does anyway though.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

ZombieReagan posted:

You'd think they would go ahead and launch in other regions as well, but I'm guessing it's got more to do with getting the software translations ready and things like that.

I bought an Xboxone last week in Switzerland which is supposedly "not a launch country" so I have to say I'm skeptical of whether MS's claims are true at all for other "non launch" markets. Switzerland has a plug type that is unique to Switzerland, plus all the printed documentation is in German/Italian/French, so it's not like I got a diverted German/Italian/French console. I ended up buying one because I never saw a PS4 on sale... although now I'm wondering why I wanted either console.

I see the Xbone on sale occasionally (first saw one late December) but it's usually sold out. Still haven't seen a PS4 for sale except from pawn shops selling it for like $750.

E: http://www.lematin.ch/high-tech/jeux/auratil-xbox-one-suisse-annee/story/22443619 apparently Xboxone still isn't "released" here. Maybe Microsoft should go in any Fnac in Switzerland. They'll be surprised to see they're all selling Xboxone games, controllers, and consoles.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Feb 26, 2014

VincesUndies
Jul 18, 2002

Vince McMahon's Underpants
Idiots at Reddit are already breaking their Dashboard Preview NDA so here's some updates:

• You can turn of Kinect gestures when watching videos (so when you reach for a drink, the Kinect UI doesn't pop up)
  • You can select by how much the Volume goes up/down when using Kinect
  • There's a "Show all other notifications" under Notifications (maybe to notify you when one of your favourites comes online)
  • Resume games quickly option is no longer 'beta'
  • Dolby Digital is supported over optical for people with headphones
  • There is a "bitstream out" option under audio settings so you can bypass the XB1's audio decoders and send the raw signal to your receiver

The rest seems to repeat what was shown in yesterday's Major Nelson video

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Aphrodite posted:

It does anyway though.

Everything? Is there a list of the actual data sent back to MS? Or are you just trying to be flippantly antagonistic?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

VincesUndies posted:

Idiots at Reddit are already breaking their Dashboard Preview NDA so here's some updates:

• You can turn of Kinect gestures when watching videos (so when you reach for a drink, the Kinect UI doesn't pop up)
  • There's a "Show all other notifications" under Notifications (maybe to notify you when one of your favourites comes online)
  • There is a "bitstream out" option under audio settings so you can bypass the XB1's audio decoders and send the raw signal to your receiver

Holy poo poo they broke the NDA? They better get their lawyers on the phone before Microsoft files lawsuits. :ohdear:

BonoMan posted:

Everything? Is there a list of the actual data sent back to MS? Or are you just trying to be flippantly antagonistic?
It's called advertising data and the list is in the EULA, privacy agreement, etc. Did you not notice all the metrics about what players were doing in games being touted by marketing?

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 26, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BonoMan posted:

I meant specifically the voice commands you use are sent back to Microsoft anyway.

They recently bragged about how many times a few specific ones had been said.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

An article about Microsoft and spying on you, a good read for all:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/11/microsoft-nsa-collaboration-user-data

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

VincesUndies posted:

I don't suppose you can just flat out turn off gestures? :smith:

(my Kinect likes to do the hand thing on the dashboard when I'm drinking tea too, though at least turning it off in Netflix when watching stuff will be a welcome change)

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Holy poo poo they broke the NDA? They better get their lawyers on the phone before Microsoft files lawsuits. :ohdear:

It's called advertising data and the list is in the EULA, privacy agreement, etc. Did you not notice all the metrics about what players were doing in games being touted by marketing?

Hand gestures are treated as if you had pressed the button with a controller and I think are reported identically. Voice recognition is handled/translated on the console. I guess they could send the translated command to Microsoft, but that's still quite different to sending everything your mic picks up to Microsoft for processing which is what I remember reading that Google Now and Siri use.

VincesUndies posted:

It seems like a really good update. Lot's of smart tweaks that people wanted.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

BonoMan posted:

Flippantly antagonistic sounds about right. They store how many zombies I killed in dead rising, it's called my achievement list. My precious data!

Wayne do you know what ad targeting MS are doing, and specifically how it's different from all other advertising?

Aphrodite posted:

I meant specifically the voice commands you use are sent back to Microsoft anyway.

They recently bragged about how many times a few specific ones had been said.

I don't think that's true, do you have a source? I thought all the commands were handled by the box, thats why they work when you're offline. What you suggest is what Siri does isn't it? That was one of the advertised 'features' of siri, collecting data to improve the experience. People didn't seem to mind when Siri did it though.

This Kinect :tinfoil: stuff is the best. I'm scared.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm saying the opposite, actually. Despite not processing commands on the cloud it still sends data about which ones you're using to Microsoft. Which would be the main argument people would use against cloud processing if it were a thing.

The Kinect doesn't interpret commands like Siri or Google Now do though. It just has a rigid list it understands.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

I'm saying the opposite, actually. Despite not processing commands on the cloud it still sends data about which ones you're using to Microsoft. Which would be the main argument people would use against cloud processing if it were a thing.

The Kinect doesn't interpret commands like Siri or Google Now do though. It just has a rigid list it understands.

I think that is the worst thing about the kinect and the cloud. Here is a chance for the cloud to be useful, so of course they don't use it.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Chick3n posted:

Hand gestures are treated as if you had pressed the button with a controller and I think are reported identically. Voice recognition is handled/translated on the console. I guess they could send the translated command to Microsoft, but that's still quite different to sending everything your mic picks up to Microsoft for processing which is what I remember reading that Google Now and Siri use.
Try responding to what I'm saying rather than what you think I'm saying. I wasn't talking about them sending everything your mic picks up, and it would be great if you could not twist people's responses to fit your inane arguments. The context was user activity on the device being recorded for marketing. This isn't exactly groundbreaking and I don't see why you're having trouble following this discussion.

Yes, Siri/Google Now function by recording your request and sending it off to an external server for processing. This is more accurate and allows for a more complex vocabulary to be used. Overall it's much better than handling it all on the mobile but requires a network connection. There's privacy problems inherent but that's a different question altogether.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Aphrodite posted:

They're called Metrics. Just about every game with a web connection (which is almost all of them) sends back (depersonalized) metrics, so that we can release silly stats like that, or figure out what features people are using. There are very strict rules about what we can do with the data, and the depersonalization bit is particularly important. So we store "somebody used a feature at X time" instead of "Bob used the feature at X time."

FULL DISCLOSURE: My game that will hit the XB One in about a year will probably report back to me how many times you shoot your gun, and which ammo types you use. OMG, THE HUMANITY! SUMMON THE PRESSES! :aaa:

EDIT: and if you played Jones On Fire on your mobile device, you told me how many kitties you saved per session (though I didn't know who you were, I just got back a "some dude saved X kitties" message). THE HORROR! :aaaaa:

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shalinor posted:

They're called Metrics. Just about every game with a web connection (which is almost all of them) sends back (depersonalized) metrics, so that we can release silly stats like that, or figure out what features people are using.

FULL DISCLOSURE: My game that will hit the XB One in about a year will probably report back to me how many times you shoot your gun, and which ammo types you use. OMG, THE HUMANITY! SUMMON THE PRESSES! :aaa:

If you played Jones On Fire on your mobile device, you told me how many kitties you saved per session. THE HORROR! :aaaaa:

Yeah, that's what we're saying.

This is the original comment:

quote:

Which is what it's doing anyway so that's not a good argument for not doing it.

• Locked thread