Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Caufman posted:

They should take the Urca as a prize ship and make a gently caress deck.

Why aim so low? They could make it a gently caress Ship, just imagine all the different sex swings and harnesses they could make with the rigging and canvas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I really liked that they're using Max to finally give Anne Bonny some characterization.

I feel like I'm kind of missing out knowing these people are based on real one but not knowing about them beforehand.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Rome and deadwood used swearing really well - "Juno's oval office man, does your blood run mad?!" - working it into period phrasing.

Um, do you know what thread you're in? How dare you. HOW. DARE. YOU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lyL_6PUpF0

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Every episode I listen intently for a background pirate to sing about sanguine weather and his cock raging on.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Can we finally let the comparisons to Spartacus go? We're 5 episodes in and this show is nothing like it. I get they're both on Starz and I would love nothing more than a spin off with Caesar and the first Triumvirate, but I just don't think we're gonna get it and this certainly isn't trying to be it either.

I think that other goon hit it on the head when he said it was more like a pirate Deadwood.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Can we finally let the comparisons to Spartacus go? We're 5 episodes in and this show is nothing like it.

Well, you know what they say. Fruit fruit, tits, tits, same loving thing.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Caufman posted:

Well, you know what they say. Fruit fruit, tits, tits, same loving thing.

Why did the thread title get changed anyway? That was perfect.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Solice Kirsk posted:

Can we finally let the comparisons to Spartacus go? We're 5 episodes in and this show is nothing like it. I get they're both on Starz and I would love nothing more than a spin off with Caesar and the first Triumvirate, but I just don't think we're gonna get it and this certainly isn't trying to be it either.

I think that other goon hit it on the head when he said it was more like a pirate Deadwood.

It's just that everyone in that thread came over to this thread, and occasionally we think misty-eyed about Jupiter's cock.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I know, but it's just making me miss Spartacus more and I don't have the time to do another complete watch through of it....Maybe I'll just watch "Victory" again...

Edit:
And I think "Ship just got real" would be an excellent title change if we can't have fruit, fruit, tits, tits.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is the clip of the fruit fruit tits tits scene on YouTube?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

it should be and it should be in 10 hour form.

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Everything is on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l5Cxv-boPc

I love this town show!

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Deadpool delivers with the title change. Thanks!

edit: I also cleaned most of the Spartacus stuff out of the op since there really isn't much of a comparison to be made anymore

Asbury fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 27, 2014

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Strabo posted:

Also loved the grenade usage in this episode.

Was it a grenade? I though it was originally but then never really heard an explosion and assumed pretty quickly that it was just a smoke bomb type thing allowing the pirates to board the ship (and cut down on CGI work).

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

xcore posted:

Was it a grenade? I though it was originally but then never really heard an explosion and assumed pretty quickly that it was just a smoke bomb type thing allowing the pirates to board the ship (and cut down on CGI work).

http://deadliestwarrior.wikia.com/wiki/Grenado

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

quote:

Pirates also used stinkpots. Stinkpots were small clay pots usually filled with burning sulfur (and sometimes plant gums, feces and rotten flesh) that were thrown onto the deck. A crude form of tear gas

:stare: I can't wait till we see that.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
By the way, might want to add this to the OP, the full first episode is available on youtube (legally):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v68pX9k4PJY

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Was not expecting the neck biting move by the accountant and it got a holy poo poo reaction out of me. Great episode.

Edit: Also liked the shots from his perspective when he was trying to find a target with his pistol - the total chaos with smoke everywhere really drove home how crazy and frightening those ship attacks had to have been.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 1, 2014

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Was not expecting the neck biting move by the accountant and it got a holy poo poo reaction out of me. Great episode.

Edit: Also liked the shots from his perspective when he was trying to find a target with his pistol - the total chaos with smoke everywhere really drove home how crazy and frightening those ship attacks had to have been.

Him 'going ferret' was really :stare:, as was Billy's reaction when he found him.

That whole sequence was incredibly done.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I just realized that Mark Ryan who played Nasir on Robin of sherwood, is the guy who plays Gates, that is pretty awesome :)

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
This aired tonight, right?

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

eriktown posted:

This aired tonight, right?
Yep.

Loved setting the slaves/Max free. I can only assume Vane sailed through a dimensional portal and joined the Mountain That Rides.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
People have complained about the women on this show but I'm loving every moment with Anne Bonny, especially in this episode. Just wish they gave her the opportunity to murder more dudes.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Blastedhellscape posted:

People have complained about the women on this show but I'm loving every moment with Anne Bonny, especially in this episode. Just wish they gave her the opportunity to murder more dudes.

Yeah Bonny didn't get much screentime early on, but thise focus on her recently is great.

Also god drat, the stuff with Flint. First it just seems like rumor and happenstance, but I'm half convinced he shanked Billy and tossed him overboard. :suspense:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I don't think I've been this excited to see each new episode of a show this early on since BSG. Ships. Ships shows are good. Anne Bonny is now my favourite character on TV.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Billy no :ohdear:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah no joke Billy nooooooooooooo.

I didn't see a body though.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Just some blatant speculation, because I don't know how much they're going to stick to the whole 'Treasure Island prequel' idea, but Tom Hopper's credited in seven episodes, has been in six so far, and there are eight episodes to the season, so I'm thinking he's going to be missing the next episode, then reappear for whatever reason in the last one?

I can't believe there are only two episodes left in the season, guys. This sucks :(

But I loved the spotlight on Anne Bonny, and especially expanding a little on hers and Jack's relationship.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah there's no way Billy's actually dead.

AtraMorS posted:

Loved setting the slaves/Max free. I can only assume Vane sailed through a dimensional portal and joined the Mountain That Rides.

No he just went to go fight the optional quest boss to get some better gear so he can do higher level quests.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I think that guy is like the pirate Yoda.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Bonny

Is a good read if you want history spoilers, it's neat reading about the real stories behind so many of these characters.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I love wikipedia sometimes.

quote:

Over the next several months, they were enjoyed success, capturing many, albeit smaller, vessels and bringing in an abundance of treasure.[citation needed]

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Anne Bonny's facial expressions/character in general are the loving worst thing about this series.

Tonight's episode was solid though. Wasn't expecting the powder keg explosion.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

Am I the only one having trouble following the Miranda Barlow plot? It seems to exist solely in exposition and my mind tends to wander when people talk at length about characters that haven't been notable yet. She's Flint's girlfriend? Friend? She betrays him for Guthrie, but ostensibly to save his life? Is that about right?

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Solice Kirsk posted:

I would love nothing more than a spin off with Caesar and the first Triumvirate, but I just don't think we're gonna get it and this certainly isn't trying to be it either.

You and me both.

The show I'm up in the air about. It seems niceish. I like some of the characters, needs more development before I have a firm decision but definitely will keep watching.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

Scissorfighter posted:

Am I the only one having trouble following the Miranda Barlow plot? It seems to exist solely in exposition and my mind tends to wander when people talk at length about characters that haven't been notable yet. She's Flint's girlfriend? Friend? She betrays him for Guthrie, but ostensibly to save his life? Is that about right?

She's Flint's girlfriend who was a bigwig aristocrat before their affair got found out and they had to run away from civilization. I get the impression he wants to get rich and build a pirate kingdom partly so that she can live like nobility again, but she jumped at the opportunity Guthrie gave her to go back to high society in Boston instead of living in exile in the little puritan village. I'm not entirely sure about who's scheming to do what either though.

Also I'm going to make a wild guess that the big guy Vane went to was Blackbeard, since he had a giant black beard and looked intimidating as hell. I'm not sure if the historical Blackbeard was a big scary giant or what he was actually doing around the time the show takes place but if that's a change they made for the show I'm fine with that.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Blastedhellscape posted:

Also I'm going to make a wild guess that the big guy Vane went to was Blackbeard, since he had a giant black beard and looked intimidating as hell. I'm not sure if the historical Blackbeard was a big scary giant or what he was actually doing around the time the show takes place but if that's a change they made for the show I'm fine with that.

Wrong he obviously sailed back in time and we are going to get a Vikings/Black Sails cross over

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

No way Billy is dead, he's too awesome.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
His forearms will save him...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
They could explain it away as one sweep of his arms taking him a whole kilometer, and he just swam home, and I would not even question it.

• Locked thread