Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Dehry posted:

Technically those were Devil Survivor 2 anime character pillows, so it's not exactly the same thing?

I know, was just trying to be snarky :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

pachinko is a hot expanding industry that has kept businesses around for years

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pasteurized Milk posted:

If nothing else, the Castlevania pachinko machine had awesome music.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Pasteurized Milk posted:

It is! But that's a slot machine.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You know what I want to see?
Shin Megami Tensei: Seattle.

I want a megami tensei game like SMT4 but in locations other than Tokyo.

Shin Megami Tensei: New Jersey.
Shin Megami Tensei: Sydney.

It would be really nice if they could do this.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Hellioning posted:

It is! But that's a slot machine.

Pachislot

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Dehry posted:

P4 DAN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91r1STWZc9I

:effort: They just muted the audio for Teddie's Japanese VA at the start.

No Mark no sale :colbert:.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pharohman777 posted:

So a third person Strange Journey in other words? :v:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

+ John Hardin on February 25th, 2014 at 2:05 pm posted:

One of the game’s producers basically had to live in Burbank for a month to do all the VO work. There’s a TON of new story stuff.

Re: VA work.

Something tells me these games are quite far along in localization.

John Hardin posted:

No details about EU yet. We don’t have anything set up with Sega or any other EU distributor. But when we do get something set up, we’ll make it known!) And yeah, hopefully within that timeframe.

(inb4 calling bullsh!7 b/c of SMTIV)
:allears: I love Atlus PR

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I doubt they'd do a good job of it. It'd be like setting the next Metro game in Canada or something.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I doubt they'd do a good job of it. It'd be like setting the next Metro game in Canada or something.

I seem to recall one of the devs answered an interview question about games set outside of Japan, and said the team would only be comfortable doing it if they had at least one person on board who had experience living long-term in the city they were using as a setting and was very knowledgeable about it. So they're not absolutely ruling it out but in practice it's not super likely to happen.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The next Persona game being in a large American city is about as likely as the next GTA game being set in a small rural Japanese town.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I'd be okay with either of those.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Cake Attack posted:

The next Persona game being in a large American city is about as likely as the next GTA game being set in a small rural Japanese town.

So we need a small American budget studio to make a Persona game in the vein of Way of the Samurai?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I'd settle for making the mysterious transfer student whatever the boys in the back room at Atlus think a Very American dude is. Instead of Ryoji and Naoto, give us President Camacho the Persona user.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I don't think I can handle another Bebe.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Chris Avellone said he always wanted to do a high school RPG, get him in on that.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Accordion Man posted:

Chris Avellone said he always wanted to do a high school RPG, get him in on that.

:psyboom:
I want to live in a world in which Persona: The Alpha Protocol exists.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

:psyboom:
I want to live in a world in which Persona: The Alpha Protocol exists.

I imagine it's like Alpha Protocol with the Misturu's Shadow Operatives; on the run from the government for a crime they didn't commit.

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...
*plagued with bountiful bugs and budgeting issues

THANKS CHRIS AVELLONE!!!

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
P3P is Buffy! I do have to say this is an excellent, excellent (if somewhat forced in places) comparison.

http://kotaku.com/5912065/persona-3...ource=pulsenews

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

kirbysuperstar posted:

I don't think I can handle another Bebe.

Bebe was what they thought French people were like.

It'd be hilarious to see their attempt at Swedish or Portuguese or Polish, etc.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Proto Cloud posted:

*plagued with bountiful bugs and budgeting issues

THANKS CHRIS AVELLONE!!!

That hasn't really been the case for like... 2 or 3 Obsidian titles now.

On-topic: I just discovered that apparently the original Print Club cabinets were made by Atlus, leading to this error message showing up in the 2013 MAME year in review:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Neeksy posted:

Bebe was what they thought French people were like.

It'd be hilarious to see their attempt at Swedish or Portuguese or Polish, etc.

Speaking of old Beeb the Weeb, does anyone know how his writing was done in the Japanese version? In the English he has a strong accent and peppers his sentences with French and Japanese words at random. Does the Japanese get any of that or does he just talk normally?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
I think that he spoke like he was in a samurai flick, using outdated expressions.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Bebe speaks like a foreigner and occasionally uses outdated/overly honorific expressions. He's still a weeaboo though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

fake edit: I should read more than the last post of the thread before I stick my foot in my mouth :suicide:

SkinCrawling
Oct 9, 2012

Pharohman777 posted:

Didn't they do something like that with Digital Devil Saga?

SkinCrawling fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Feb 26, 2014

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Kind of, but the location it takes place is Cyberspace and (very minor spoiler)you are the demons.

It would be neat to have an SMT game take place in another city, but I don't think that's likely to happen anytime soon. Strange Journey seems to be the only one that was developed with the thought of 'oh someone from America might play this'.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

hubris.height posted:

Kind of, but the location it takes place is Cyberspace and (very minor spoiler)you are the demons.

It would be neat to have an SMT game take place in another city, but I don't think that's likely to happen anytime soon. Strange Journey seems to be the only one that was developed with the thought of 'oh someone from America might play this'.

But doesn't 2 actually take place in the US?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Neeksy posted:

But doesn't 2 actually take place in the US?

Re: DDS2 location
I don' think they ever mention the exact location, but the currency is $
and names would be unsurprising in either US or Canada. Actually, IIRC, there is a
French last name character that uses "Madame" in her title, so Canada might actually
be more likely?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Sounds like I need to play DDS2 pretty soon.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Eh. It's incredibly goofy, and not in a good way. It was easily a step down from DDS1 which was all around pretty great.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nate RFB posted:

It's incredibly goofy, and not in a good way. It was easily a step down from DDS1 which was all around pretty great.

I thought DDS2 was actually really great. The gameplay received a ton of tune ups and probably features one of the better balanced examples of the Fusion Attack system and the story is a rather logical end to the series, especially since so much of DDS1 alludes to stuff in it. The ending dungeon is really bad though, like jesus does it go on forever.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

OddObserver posted:

Re: DDS2 location
I don' think they ever mention the exact location, but the currency is $
and names would be unsurprising in either US or Canada. Actually, IIRC, there is a
French last name character that uses "Madame" in her title, so Canada might actually
be more likely?

Was it really, or was this just a localization thing?

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...

Syrg Sapphire posted:

That hasn't really been the case for like... 2 or 3 Obsidian titles now.

Uh, you're joking right? I guess Fallout: New Vegas and Alpha Protocol don't exist in your world?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Nate RFB posted:

Eh. It's incredibly goofy, and not in a good way. It was easily a step down from DDS1 which was all around pretty great.

Look at how wrong this guy is. Laugh at him.

The DDS games really benefit from being played back-to-back though. The first game is all the questions, the second game is all of the (very odd) answers. The first game has more sidequests, the second game has better optional bosses. The first game is more open and gives you increasingly more ways to combat situations, the second game takes your options away more often than not, and forces you to adapt your strategy. The first game is more traditional RPG, with towns and downtime--the second game is really a string of dungeon crawls punctuated by The Biggest Dungeon Crawl.

Both games feature simply gargantuan final dungeons, perhaps the largest of any Megaten game.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
DDS2 is cool (and has a sick soundtrack, just like DDS1) but it definitely fell completely apart at the end.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Look at how wrong this guy is. Laugh at him.

The DDS games really benefit from being played back-to-back though. The first game is all the questions, the second game is all of the (very odd) answers. The first game has more sidequests, the second game has better optional bosses. The first game is more open and gives you increasingly more ways to combat situations, the second game takes your options away more often than not, and forces you to adapt your strategy. The first game is more traditional RPG, with towns and downtime--the second game is really a string of dungeon crawls punctuated by The Biggest Dungeon Crawl.

Both games feature simply gargantuan final dungeons, perhaps the largest of any Megaten game.
Does DDS2 give you tools to become Literally Invincible the way that DDS1 does? Because I ground that game so hard that by the end I, as a matter of fact, could not be killed by anything except the stupid Hidden Boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
I've lovingly crafted the OP to a DDS 1 LP for the subforum, and I have the first post as well. However, I am unsure of how to progress with the game going forward. Does anyone have an awesome Walkthrough / FAQ that I can use to full clear?

What stats are good to increase? Its pretty easy for most the SMT games, especially the ones where you never get magic, but it seems like you need more of a mastery of what each stat does in DDS to make your life easy. Last time I played DDS I got pissed off at the sewer dungeon underneath the Vanguard outpost and quit.