Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
For what it's worth, the "private" aspect of it hasn't (yet?) gone away. I have a lot of crap sitting on my Minus account and none of it is viewable by anyone unless I explicitly give them a direct link to an image, or a gallery link that I've set up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king
Please try your hardest not to post GIFs anywhere near 15MB even if it's technically allowed by some service.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

jawbroken posted:

Please try your hardest not to post GIFs anywhere near 15MB even if it's technically allowed by some service.

But what will I do with my 271 MB 800x600 Mandelbrot GIF? I was gonna make it my signature and shitpost in GBS or something!

Edit: Obviously the answer is to upload it to Gfycat. Where it is converted into a 40 MB HTML5 video with options to still get to the original GIF and hotlink that.

Probably not very useful for LP because it only takes videos and GIFs, but it seems nice enough for the occasional exception.

Geemer fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 26, 2014

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Considering you randomly can't upload any .gifs to Minus now, someone might find that weird workaround to actually be vaguely necessary maybe. I've been trying to get a couple up and every single one came back with a "this image does not exist!" message immediately (regular images worked fine first time though, and one .gif finally got through a few minutes ago :iiam:). At first I figured it was because I didn't have a Minus account, so decided to try and make one... and it redirected me to some IM app, for some inexplicable reason.

quote:

let the site be able to make posts on your Twitter/Facebook.

Also this bit doesn't seem to be true (any more?). It's only the AppStore or Google Play that lets you get any further than "hey check out our sweet, totally irrelevant, app!" as far as I can tell.

So, uh, yeah, Minus is either functionally dead or at the very least dying now. Shame too, because it came in handy quite a fair bit.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
I updated the TSF Wiki page on image hosting with this new info on Minus, one of you should probably check to make sure I got it right.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I'm not sure what you updated, but '1GB file size upload limit' still ain't right.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Hit reload? I changed it to 15 MB, so you're seeing the old version of the page for some reason. I'm not sure what the newly limited file types are so I left that kind of vague, and I'm also not entirely clear on what the new restrictions are for creating an account.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Xenoveritas posted:

Hit reload? I changed it to 15 MB, so you're seeing the old version of the page for some reason. I'm not sure what the newly limited file types are so I left that kind of vague, and I'm also not entirely clear on what the new restrictions are for creating an account.

It says 1 GB for me also. You might want to get rid of the "uh" for negatives, as there are a lot of them now.

Here are the restrictions:

To create an account

Download a chat app on an IOS device or Android.

or

Sign in using Facebook/Twitter, but give Minus permission to post using your account

File restrictions

Images only

15 MB max upload

Other negatives

Social networking crap (they don't even define themselves as an image site anymore)

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

quote:

Minus
Pros:
Supports most file types
15 MB file size upload limit.
Unlimited downloads.
Free accounts, starts at 10 GB space, can be upgraded to 50 GB.
Has a set of applications for several different platforms to facilitate uploads.

Cons:
Apparently requires you to log in using Facebook/Twitter and allow it to post messages to your feed, or download a mobile app and use that?
Guest uploads expire in 30 days?
Hot linked images may be throttled?

That's what it says for me.

I've had a minus account for over a year, and I've never received any followers or been asked to use any social networking stuff. :shrug:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

quote:

Subtract the Distance! Minus is a revolutionary chat and photo experience that lets you travel the world and meet new friends.

Life is full of surprises and you never know who you will meet on Minus! Fly around the world in the palm of your hand. We want to less the distance between strangers, and bring people closer together through chat and photos.

what the gently caress does this mean

quote:

We wanted to offer the simplest possible sharing service. The first prototype for Minus was inspired by Glen Murphy's design and launched on October 13th, 2010.

great mission statement, glad to see you're still following up on it

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
I give up. Wikia is a goddamned broken piece of poo poo, and I've given up trying to figure out why edits don't actually show up on it.

Xires
Jun 28, 2013

Is there a particular reason that the "Logitech USB Headset H360" link in the OP sends you to the H340 page? Just in case somebody was wanting to use the "Headsets" section as an easy button.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

AlphaXires posted:

Is there a particular reason that the "Logitech USB Headset H360" link in the OP sends you to the H340 page? Just in case somebody was wanting to use the "Headsets" section as an easy button.

Well, the H360 isn't on Logitech's site any longer. Maybe Logitech migrated the link? I don't know. But regardless, it's not on Logitech's list. I don't think they make it anymore, as even Amazon tells you to just buy the H390.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I finally am ready to start doing my next LP after a long hiatus and wanted to pick up some real video editing software and stop using avisynth in notepad. Any recommendations?

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

Agent355 posted:

I finally am ready to start doing my next LP after a long hiatus and wanted to pick up some real video editing software and stop using avisynth in notepad. Any recommendations?

If you absolutely need to use a video editing software then Avidemux is usually what I reach for, although most of what it can do is easily achievable in avisynth.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Agent355 posted:

You mean something like Final Cut, Premiere, After Effects, Avid?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

EntranceJew posted:

If you absolutely need to use a video editing software then Avidemux is usually what I reach for, although most of what it can do is easily achievable in avisynth.

I'm just looking to get some ease of use. I can do really basic stuff in avisynth but everytime I want to do something that I haven't done before the learning process takes me 5 times the amount of time a normal episode does. As a result most of my episodes get kinda homogenous and I rarely actually take advantage of fancy editing even when it's appropriate.

Suspicious Dish posted:

You mean something like Final Cut, Premiere, After Effects, Avid?

I suppose? I'm looking for something that I can feed raw nasty fraps recordings into and trim, edit, rearrange and easily use effects like split screen or non jump-cut transitions. Without learning how to use and format all of the lines of code in avisynth. Which I realize is possible, but I'm willing to spend a couple hundred dollars to avoid it if possible.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 27, 2014

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Agent355 posted:

I'm just looking to get some ease of use. I can do really basic stuff in avisynth but everytime I want to do something that I haven't done before the learning process takes me 5 times the amount of time a normal episode does. As a result most of my episodes get kinda homogenous and I rarely actually take advantage of fancy editing even when it's appropriate.

I suppose? I'm looking for something that I can feed raw nasty fraps recordings into and trim, edit, rearrange and easily use effects like split screen or non jump-cut transitions. Without learning how to use and format all of the lines of code in avisynth. Which I realize is possible, but I'm willing to spend a couple hundred dollars to avoid it if possible.
The one I've had the best ease of use with was Camtasia; it doesn't have many presets but it's also a lot simpler to use than Vegas or Premiere. Granted it doesn't take long to learn Premiere or Vegas either, but there's just so much to gently caress up in those other two programs since they have a lot more options to mess with.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 27, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Premiere isn't too bad an option and it won't hurt your wallet too much since it's a monthly subscription fee of $20 to use it now instead of paying like $700 overall for it.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Something to keep in mind about Premiere, though, is that it can't handle raw Fraps files, you'd have to convert them to Lagarith or something else for it to not crash if you tried to put one into your project.

Also, what's the stance on recommending emulators? It's not talking about ROM piracy, but there's no section for it in the OP and nobody says anything about them.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

frozentreasure posted:

Something to keep in mind about Premiere, though, is that it can't handle raw Fraps files, you'd have to convert them to Lagarith or something else for it to not crash if you tried to put one into your project.

Also, what's the stance on recommending emulators? It's not talking about ROM piracy, but there's no section for it in the OP and nobody says anything about them.

Mine handled raw fraps avi files just fine. I did tell fraps to split them up every 4 mob though.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
It can't handle Fraps files perfectly, at any rate. If it freezes while importing, convert them to Lagarith.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

frozentreasure posted:

It can't handle Fraps files perfectly, at any rate. If it freezes while importing, convert them to Lagarith.

Well I got premiere only because it was the cheapest option (in the short term) and nobody had strong opinions one way or another. Now I kinda wish I hadn't. Ah well can't be too terribly hard to convert things first.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
Premiere has handled Fraps files perfectly for me, and I recently stuck an hour long video into it. :confused: Long as you have a decent enough machine I don't see how it would cause problems.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

frozentreasure posted:

Yeah, I haven't had Fraps issues in the past, either. Maybe your free space isn't that big? Premiere can grow a pretty massive cache at times.

I don't think specifically discussing emulators is an issue. I mean, there are emulator threads in the Games subforum (ie: for PS2), so it shouldn't be a problem as long as you aren't discussing roms.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Maybe it is my machine. It's not a fantastic computer anyway, but I'd read several questions on video editing sites that said Fraps files are just incompatible. Must have been outdated.

The cache does get loving huge, too; I was clearing up space on my hard drive last week and found all of my projects I was done with last year were taking up about 50GB of cache files, so if you use Premiere, you may want to check that if you start running low on space.

In terms of emulators, the discussion in the sandcastle about doing LPs on Macs made me want to recommend OpenEmu, an emulator that was recently released for OSX after quite a long time in development. It's mostly a wrapper that lets you view games in an organised library and play them with the various softwares that emulate different systems. It's a really nice, clean emulation solution for Macs that hasn't existed until now, so if you're doing an LP and can only use OSX, this should make things a little easier.

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 28, 2014

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

How do I get virtualdub to not butcher my video?
x264vfw recommended settings etc.

The input is a DOSBox video with default settings of like 320x200, and the game is pixel-y, as are most games of that era. How can I preserve those nice edges without getting the characteristic compression blur on everything?

Original:

every output I've tried:

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
I've found that the settings for DirectShow h264 and VFW h264 aren't quite exactly the same. I have to turn down the CRF to 18 in the VFW version to get quality that I would get from 22 on the DirectShow encoder.

Alternately, why are you using VFW h264 via VDub at all rather than using MeGUI or whatever.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

Don't use x264vfw, it's bad.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
As a rough guideline for emulators, anything recommended on TASVideos is probably a good way to go.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
I'm having a weird error message with MeGUI. It's saying AVISource: couldn't locate a decompressor for fourcc H264.

Anyone have any idea on what might be going on? The only change I've recently made that I can even remotely think was relevant is installing the Combined Community Codec Pack to play some video files I was having a lot of trouble with.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

TASVideos is recommending some weird JPC-RR that looks a bit :spergin: to me.

I've got perfect uncompressed dosbox footage. If I'm not concerned about size for a 6 minute video what MeGUI settings should I use to get as close to the top image as possible?

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010
If you're not concerned about size, try a CRF of 20 and a Preset of Slow first. If you're not concerned about time either, bump the preset down to Slower or Very Slow. Settings like this are really all down to personal experience and taste, as well as how long you care to wait for your videos, aside from the usual "never go below CRF 18" and "never pick the Placebo preset." A CRF of 22 or 21 with Preset of Medium or Slow is generally my standard default, with 18 and Very Slow the highest anyone should really ever go.

But try out 20-Slow first. A 6 minute clip won't take long, so you'll be able to see if it'll do the job for you, or if you'd want to try another pass with higher quality settings. :words:

E: That sounded really dumb. I'm sorry.

Touchfuzzy fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 1, 2014

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I have no idea what those words mean but I'll try it :downs:

I don't care if it takes an hour to process, I just want a really crisp video.

What really gets me is Dosbox records the video at perfect definition + small file size .avi. I make cuts and save it uncompressed: MASSIVE FILE SIZE. Save it with any compression: AWFUL QUALITY.

:eng99: I just want to edit out some saves, that's it. Why is this so awful? Can't I just open, cut cut cut save and have it retain the quality?

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

If you're just making cuts and nothing else just change the video mode in virtualdub to direct stream copy and export as avi.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

MEAT! posted:

If you're just making cuts and nothing else just change the video mode in virtualdub to direct stream copy and export as avi.

Wouldn't that limit him to only cutting on keyframes? It's been a while since I've used pure VirtualDub, but I seem to remember something along those lines.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Geemer posted:

Wouldn't that limit him to only cutting on keyframes? It's been a while since I've used pure VirtualDub, but I seem to remember something along those lines.

Yep, keyframes only. Depending on how frequent the keyframes are, that may or may not work for the video. It sounds to me like someone hasn't actually investigated the quality options for their encoding program or has picked a program that doesn't provide enough options - I've never had a problem with MeGUI and 264 at an appropriate quality setting, especially for DOSBox recordings.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

Well he never told us the settings or what he used to record from dosbox. If it's uncompressed it's all keyframes so it's fine. If he recorded with xvid or something and he wants to edit, well he already hosed up and might as well start over.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Perfect quality and small file size pretty much automatically means the built-in ZMBV codec. I didn't think anyone recorded from DOSBox using external tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

Just tried saving a clip recorded with dosbox and exported with direct stream copy in virtualdub. It works and clips just fine at delta frames so go hog wild.