Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I was in a few stores and saw the previous generation Galaxy Note 8 and 10.1 on sale and clearance for about $300 each. I ended up getting neither but I'm still interested. (I'm thinking these are 'good prices' on each?)

They both have the same resolution, but for mainly as use as a drawing tablet with a stylus, is one better than the other? I suspect the 8 would have a higher pixel density, but I'm also wondering if the larger surface area of the 10.1 affects the digitizer precision or not.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

revolther posted:

If it's one of those white bodied ones running Froyo, you may be SOL, but you can compare the device stats in Settings > About Device(or whatever Froyo called it) to the Gtab on xda, as the differences might be cosmetic. If it's the model I'm thinking of they don't even have the play store. Something old as poo poo like CM7 or CM9 plus GAPPS would probably be an improvement feature wise, but the "butter" (or whatever) of CM10.1/JellyBean may turn out to be a better bet for performance.

Get comfortable with flashing roms and test a few.

People here seem to find xda-developers forums incoherent gibberish, so a quick tip is to read the stickied HOW-TO(unlock/root/flash custom recovery) threads that apply to you, the detailed instructions in the OP for whatever ROM you are trying, and ALWAYS read the last page or two of the thread because that's where people will be shouting about what doesn't work or if a bad ROM is causing bootloops/bricks. It's pretty straightforward if you could set the timer on a vcr, you can flash ROMS.

Alternately screw the effort, grab the cheapest-to-free video player that promises codec support, and test support for whatever media you'll be putting on it.

Thanks for this. It's not the white bodies ones, it's currently running 2.2. I've owned several android phones (including the turd known as the G1) so I'm no stranger to rome and flashing. For my needs I would rather just install a competent media player with some better navigation and sorting but there's no android store, just some goofy Viewsonic store with a broken URL.

There's a couple jellybean ROMs on XDA so I'll start there.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLBuj69mOPg

So tempting...wonder how much plasma I will need to sell to pick one up.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have experience with a fine-point stylus on a Nexus 7 (2012)? I just want something to doodle with.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

rock2much posted:

Anyone have experience with a fine-point stylus on a Nexus 7 (2012)? I just want something to doodle with.
A fine-point stylus will not work on a regular capacitive screen. You have to get something made for it, like one of Samsung's Note tablets or the Tegra Note.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

He could be talking about the Jot Pro (and similar?) which works fine on capacitive. I have one for my iPad I never use since I don't really use my iPad for things that might need a stylus.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

He could be talking about the Jot Pro (and similar?) which works fine on capacitive. I have one for my iPad I never use since I don't really use my iPad for things that might need a stylus.
It still has that disc at the end so it's not really fine-point, but I guess it works? Have fun holding your hand like this.

IIRC the Note tablets have the option to disable capacitive input while using the pen so you can hold your hand however you like. Not that I'm recommending a Samsung.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

It still has that disc at the end so it's not really fine-point, but I guess it works? Have fun holding your hand like this.

IIRC the Note tablets have the option to disable capacitive input while using the pen so you can hold your hand however you like. Not that I'm recommending a Samsung.
Yeah, it has the disc, but I think the idea is it's a bit more accurate. I dunno. i know that iPad note-taking apps usually include a way to set a portion of the screen to be the wrist rest, so it doesn't accept inputs there. I would assume Android apps have similar if the developers are remotely intelligent. The Nexus 7 isn't really big enough that you're going to be resting on it, anyway.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Yeah, it's quite handy, particularly since I'm a lefty. I use the pen constantly on my Note 10.1.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yea I was looking at the Jot Pros. For the little things I wanted to sketch it shouldn't be a big deal if that disc has any give to it at all.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It is hard plastic and swivels around the tip. Not sure what you mean by give.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yea, swivel is what I meant by give.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
So my N7 2013 has been having it's battery murdered by Android OS lately. Like, barely a day of life out of the battery with MINUTES of screen-on time, but Android OS has a keep-awake run of like 3 hours. A reboot cured it but only for a day. Can't think of anything new I've installed. Any ideas on what I should check?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Require More Fire posted:

So my N7 2013 has been having it's battery murdered by Android OS lately. Like, barely a day of life out of the battery with MINUTES of screen-on time, but Android OS has a keep-awake run of like 3 hours. A reboot cured it but only for a day. Can't think of anything new I've installed. Any ideas on what I should check?
Mine doesn't do that. Have you installed/updated anything recently?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I don't know either, but my 2012 N7 that I was complaining about earlier is suddenly working perfectly.

I accidentally left wifi on for two days ... and was shocked that it barely made a difference to the battery life. I now get 10 days standby, minimum.

Meepo
Jul 30, 2004

My 2012 N7 has had absolutely terrible battery life ever since the KitKat update, and half the time it won't even properly charge. I had to install a battery app that reports the current being drawn, and constantly unplug and replug the cable until it reports a postive charge. It's really annoying.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

My Nexus 4 has been suffering the same problems, lately, with Better Battery Stats reporting nothing that seems unusual, but the Settings' battery readout showing Google Play Services taking out a massive chunk of battery, but nothing I've done so far has fixed the problem.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Meepo posted:

My 2012 N7 has had absolutely terrible battery life ever since the KitKat update, and half the time it won't even properly charge. I had to install a battery app that reports the current being drawn, and constantly unplug and replug the cable until it reports a postive charge. It's really annoying.
Mine too for months, but it suddenly started working properly... all I can suggest is to ensure the location services stuff is all turned off. In wi-fi advanced settings, make sure the rule that lets it check wifi for location data is off even when wifi is disabled.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

Came here to post this same thing. Had a full charge last night and let it sit on standby...checked when I got home from work and it was at less than 10%. Google play services was logging over 20 hours awake in WLD with 3 hours CPU time.

WLD was saying about 8 hours awake were from com.android.contacts- haven't made any changes to anything lately though.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Same happens on my 2013 N7. Battery and standby time has been great the last couple of weeks (way better than when I first bought it) and suddenly the battery struggles to last for one day without even using it. No changes or new apps here as well.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I want to replace the screen on my Nexus 7 12 as it's scratched to hell and back.

From what I understand I have to replace both the screen and digitiser as they're fused together, right?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
My battery has been fine on KitKat until this started. It's not Play Services either, it's Android OS topping the list. I've seen Play Services gently caress things up before, but that usually goes away on a reboot.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
So popping the now launcher in the nexus 10 didn't work all that will unless you like having available screen space devoured. Also widget spacing is somewhat hosed.

Before
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/r03oyf4cgfno8uy/TMCW9zmTF6

After
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/4wmkco29qsj1psw/icFh7ztdFk

Be sticking with the default till they sort this I think.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
App store listing says "optimised for phones". I hope they'll make it work with tablets as well, I really like this launcher.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
Looks great on my Nexus 7. No problems with scaling like the version ripped from the N7.

Barn Owl
Oct 29, 2005
"text"
After sexting with an up and coming state senator I broke my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 20014 screen. How can I protect this public servant's career before sending it in for repair? I'd like to do a factory reset but my screen is only black. Can I do this with only buttons. Any help?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 28, 2019

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

GregNorc posted:

Is there a way to boost the sound of movies past enabling SW decoders to double the volume? Ocassionally I'll encounter a video file w/ very soft volume - even with the volume maxed I can't here it over plane engines.

I bought a headphone amplifier for 25 bucks to counter this.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

A fine-point stylus will not work on a regular capacitive screen. You have to get something made for it, like one of Samsung's Note tablets or the Tegra Note.

The only Tegra Note I find is the EVGA Tegra Note 7 over on Newegg. Are there more models or something like this coming out? It seems to fit the size I want, but I'm sort of curious of the pen tech with it.

It seems that they use very different pen tech. I like the price on the Tegra Note, but it's the stylus that makes it so appealing but makes me sort of a bit concerned that it won't be as good.

It seems like, if I'm reading the reviews right, the touch screen sensitivity is just a lot better on the Tegra Note than other tablets, but Samsung uses more a wacom-styled pen tech?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

It seems like, if I'm reading the reviews right, the touch screen sensitivity is just a lot better on the Tegra Note than other tablets, but Samsung uses more a wacom-styled pen tech?
Right. The Tegra Note uses a regular capacitive screen, but the Tegra 4 has something special that it does to better determine what's touching the screen. The Samsung Notes have an inductive layer for the stylus in addition to the capacitive layer. That's why the Samsung Notes are more expensive.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

z06ck posted:

I bought a headphone amplifier for 25 bucks to counter this.

Or just lower impedance headphones, which might not help with planes but they'll sure give you more juice. Also headphones that block noise out better, or noise-cancelling ones since things like constant engine drone are exactly what they're designed to filter out

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
So Amazon Instant Video for Prime users in the UK went live a couple of days ago and being a member I figured I'd bite the bullet and get a tablet for lazy afternoons in bed.

I did my research enough to steer clear of a Kindle Fire due to the fact that you can't get BBC iPlayer, 4oD and other UK centric catch up TV and went with a Nexus 7 (which I bought from Amazon, ironically). I didn't do my research enough to realise that Amazon were going to be dicks about it and make you have a Kindle or an iPad to access the service.

Is there any way to bend it to my will or am I cancelling my Prime membership when its up for renewal at the end of March? I found a flash hack for US users but it doesn't seem to work in the UK.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I thought there was a big todo about amazon's service not working on its own tablet.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Miles O'Brian posted:

So Amazon Instant Video for Prime users in the UK went live a couple of days ago and being a member I figured I'd bite the bullet and get a tablet for lazy afternoons in bed.

I did my research enough to steer clear of a Kindle Fire due to the fact that you can't get BBC iPlayer, 4oD and other UK centric catch up TV and went with a Nexus 7 (which I bought from Amazon, ironically). I didn't do my research enough to realise that Amazon were going to be dicks about it and make you have a Kindle or an iPad to access the service.

Is there any way to bend it to my will or am I cancelling my Prime membership when its up for renewal at the end of March? I found a flash hack for US users but it doesn't seem to work in the UK.

Prime instant video only works on iOS and Kindle fire. There is no generic Android app available.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I'm helping my fiance set up an art installation. She wants to have a handful of Nexus 7 2012 tablets running an app. The interface with the app will use tilt controls. Is anyone familiar with kiosk enclosures for Nexus 7 tablets? Most of the options I find on Google are not tilt friendly. I know that tilt friendly enclosures exist, as I've seen many tablets at stores like Target with a zipline to pull the tablet back.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Is there a way to get my 2012 N7 to display to TV? Or do I need to grab a 2013 model to get that to work?

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

IuniusBrutus posted:

Is there a way to get my 2012 N7 to display to TV? Or do I need to grab a 2013 model to get that to work?

Pick one of these

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

OK, did some research on a project I'm helping someone with, and I've got a pile of questions. The project will involve 3 tablets hooked up to a kiosk. We want to 3D print out shapes, slap some RFID tags in them, and use NFC on these tablets to let you touch the shapes to the tablet running software in kiosk mode we build in Unity3D.

1. Will the Nexus 7 2012 model work with all of this? What are core differences in hardware features between 2012 and 2013? The 2013 supports wireless charging, which is tempting for setting up the display, but the price difference, especially across 3 tablets, is pretty big between 2012 and 2013 models.
2. It looks like the RFID tags we want would be "NTAG203", and definitely not the more common "MiFare" tags. Is this correct?
3. Where is the NFC reader on the Nexus 7 2012 and 2013 models? Is it in a convenient place? Would we be better off running an Arduino with NFC reader connected to the tablet? This would be significantly more work, so I would rather avoid it.
4. Is anyone familiar with any kiosk hardware? This app will primarily use tilt controls, so we want a kiosk stand that will both keep people from walking off with the tablets, but also have enough slack to let them actually tilt the devices. These kiosk cases should also provide a connection for a power supply, to keep the devices charged. The big problem I'm seeing when I google kiosk hardware is no one directly sells it, every site wants you to ask for a price quote. This is worrying to me from a price perspective.
5. Has anyone built their own kiosk enclosure? Do you have any plans you could share?
6. Has anyone ran a Nexus 7 in kiosk mode? I've found some guides online that have instructions, it looks doable but a bit of a pain in the rear end, involving rooting the tablet and a lot of extra work on the hardware and software ends to make sure the device always boots to the app and nothing else.
7. Has anyone done any NFC work with Unity3D and Android? It looks straightforward, but figured I would check for any tips.
8. Are there better threads to ask this question? I found some Arduino threads in DIY, but didn't find any Android or RFID threads.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Sounds like you guys just need a 3d model viewer with tilt capabilities, and some NFC tags to attach to exhibits that open the model files existing on the devices. Most likely available free on the market. Not sure about kiosk mode, but rebinding each navigation software key to launch your model viewer and forcing android to start the same app at start up are all fairly trivial (via apps or Xposed modules) but will probably require root.

I doubt 2013's would add much the 12's couldn't accomplish for your purposes, but no clue about anti-theft rigs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011