Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on
I have tea before games cause coffee is for idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
Ephex and his jar of magnesium what a guy :allears:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I've been taking magnesium for a while, really helps with reducing cramps. I used to get them all the time during running training but now they've pretty much entirely gone away (and I'm superstitious enough to keep taking the magic tablets).

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Hallowed Turban posted:

Ephex and his jar of magnesium what a guy :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D-QD_HIfjA

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em

Bobby Digital posted:

If there's a bar at the pitch, two beers over 45 minutes while stretching and warming up before the match.

I miss Colorado :(

Every time I drink before playing, even a little bit, I play like dog poo poo and my touch is off.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

My old gloves were really beaten up so I got a pair of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Uhlsport-Cerb...lsport+cerberus

Used them today for the first time and they are great. I also realized that I was wearing a size too large, my old Pumas were 11, got these on 10 and they fit way better.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Drogadon posted:

My old gloves were really beaten up so I got a pair of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Uhlsport-Cerb...lsport+cerberus

Used them today for the first time and they are great. I also realized that I was wearing a size too large, my old Pumas were 11, got these on 10 and they fit way better.

Size 10 buddy :whatup:

Also I actually looked into getting those Uhlsports (the local soccer shop had a deal on them), but after breaking a finger making a catch playing Aussie Rules I realized that finger protection in gloves is going to be the first thing I look for in a pair.

Anywho, in my first few days back playing rent-a-goalie I haven't looked that good at all. Most of it is because I keep going for dives instead of straight to ground on some shots (this is indoor, where kick/reaction saves are much more important than net coverage) and I need to catch the ball more than parry it. Oh well, something to keep in mind going into spring session.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

These have finger protection, that was actually one of the reasons I got them. Unless you want even more protection.

I have the opposite problem, I abuse kick saves so need to work on that. Today I had to play defense because it was 6v6 and there were 4 keepers.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

The idea of having 4 people on the park who are actually willing to play keeper is so completely foreign to me I can only explain it by believing that what you call "keepers" are what we here in Australia call "strikers". We normally have trouble getting 1 per team for most games.

And finger protection all day every day; the more the better! I'd buy gloves made of metal if they'd let me - I've broken and dislocated way more finger bones through wearing lovely flexible gloves than I ever want to think about (or consider the arthritis that's probably coming :( ).

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Yeah the group I play with on saturdays is weird like that. Two of them are quite good too, that's why I had to play outfield today.

With other groups I'm usually the only one who prefers to play on goal so this is not normal by any means.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

We let keepers play for free, that's how scarce they are.

Luckily my team has a dedicated keeper and as long as we keep him plied with beer and vodka he doesn't complain.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
I always show up early for indoor sessions, so I can be sure to be a keeper. It basically ends up being "The first two guys who bring gloves". I still always get asked, at least once a day, "Do you wanna play out here? I can play keeper for a while."

No, you cretin, why do you think I'm a keeper? I'm terrible in the field and I hate to run.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Captain Trips posted:

No, you cretin, why do you think I'm a keeper? I'm terrible in the field and I hate to run.
Just play as striker, you fit the bill and you'll get to score for once!

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I wish these keepers were around for our Sunday pickups. We sometimes play up to 13v13 on small goals because no one wants to play keeper. I'll play some as goalie, but not the whole 2 hours.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013

cosmicjim posted:

I wish these keepers were around for our Sunday pickups. We sometimes play up to 13v13 on small goals because no one wants to play keeper. I'll play some as goalie, but not the whole 2 hours.

I played a three-hour session last month, never left the net. People dropped out and others filled in, but me and the other keeper were the only real constants.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
Been missing the pickup indoor sessions for three weeks now, since my truck decided that brakes are overrated. It's eight miles from my house, and that's just too drat far to walk in the winter.

But the weather is getting nicer (at least for this weekend) so I've decided that on Friday I'll borrow my roommate's bike and ride up there. Should be a fantastic pre-game warmup, trip report will be posted presuming I don't die on the ride home.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Did the brake lines go out or do you just need to replace the pads?

Also, get one of your buddies to pick you up if possible. Especially of they are missing you.

I wish I could play :smith: those loving CTR Maestri's are staring me in the face. Or the Vapors for when the pitches get wet.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

New boots for the spring!

My third pair of these, Mizuno Morelia Neo. Have to order them from the UK because of reasons. I think I'm getting old, my previous two pair of these were slime green and yellow.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Apparently I hate money, because I bought a pair of these. I think they are ugly but they are very comfortable and grippy and Keylor wears them so they own

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013

Drogadon posted:

Apparently I hate money, because I bought a pair of these. I think they are ugly but they are very comfortable and grippy and Keylor wears them so they own

My gloves are wearing out, and I need a new pair. How much were these and where can I buy them?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Here you go:

http://www.amazon.com/Rinat-Asimetrik-Duo-Spine-Glove/dp/B00DJRM8II

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Shrapnac posted:

New boots for the spring!

My third pair of these, Mizuno Morelia Neo. Have to order them from the UK because of reasons. I think I'm getting old, my previous two pair of these were slime green and yellow.

How narrow are these? My last several cleats have been addidas f-50s. Do you know how comparable the fit is?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

cosmicjim posted:

How narrow are these? My last several cleats have been addidas f-50s. Do you know how comparable the fit is?

They're about the same I'd say. I actually went from wearing F-50s to the Mizunos. I'll have to check the sizing on my F-50s to see if they're any different.

Are your F-50s leather or synthetic, it could affect how much they'd stretch.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Synthetic.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

cosmicjim posted:

Synthetic.

Ok.

I've worn these two styles, so a couple generations back, leather, and the same size as my Mizunos.

The Mizunos are slightly narrower but they're also K leather so they'll stretch pretty well in the forefoot. I buy my boots so they're slightly too tight on purchase and then stretch to fit my foot perfectly after a few wears.

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
Currently reppin' the f50's.

They're alright, initially I felt like I was stepping out of them when running because I have orthotics and thought maybe the shoe wasn't deep enough, but I got used to it.

They'll probably last me this season and then I'll have to grab another pair.

My futsal shoes however, currently have a smooth tap-dancing texture on the sole, so I'll have to buy another pair of them soon which sucks because for once it's been the grip on the bottom that has gone rather than the outside of my right foot blowing out the stitching.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013

If I was in a league, I'd totally drop $90 on a good pair of gloves, but that's a little too rich for my pickup games.

Can anyone recommend a good pair of gloves under $40? I got some Adidas Repliques, but the stitching has already blown out at the side of one thumb after maybe 15 hours of play.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Spring rec season just started and I'm coaching U10 and U8. U10 is looking strong. I've got a kid back from the fall who is probably the best player in U10 and a girl who is a close 2nd or third. My daughter is not too shabby either. She is naturally left footed and really fast. Another kid is pretty good and two more are OK although the one of them has a rocket right foot although he is a bit husky... but seriously I've seen him hit some really nice shots in practice. 2 kids I haven't met. Keeping my fingers crossed.

U-8 team is not so good but it's U8 so it's still mostly swarm ball so whatever. Still haven't gotten around to playing consistently myself though. :(

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

they have a mesh between the thumb and index finger rather than having the latex or whatever the gently caress the grippy surface is, so it doesn't blow out quickly. Really good gloves for a decent price imho. they got the finger save poo poo as well. no idea whether you can get them in the us tho'

£16.99

http://store.sondico.com/sondico-aqua-spine-goalkeeping-gloves-mens-832035?colcode=83203538

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
Shipping to the USA is gonna cost nearly as much as the gloves themselves, but I'll definitely try to find a domestic seller. Thanks.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

Spring rec season just started and I'm coaching U10 and U8. U10 is looking strong. I've got a kid back from the fall who is probably the best player in U10 and a girl who is a close 2nd or third. My daughter is not too shabby either. She is naturally left footed and really fast. Another kid is pretty good and two more are OK although the one of them has a rocket right foot although he is a bit husky... but seriously I've seen him hit some really nice shots in practice. 2 kids I haven't met. Keeping my fingers crossed.

U-8 team is not so good but it's U8 so it's still mostly swarm ball so whatever. Still haven't gotten around to playing consistently myself though. :(

I was thinking about trying to coach kids football. Is it super hard if you only know a few basic mechanics of the game?

edit: This is why I always get fired in Football Manager

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Trips posted:

Shipping to the USA is gonna cost nearly as much as the gloves themselves, but I'll definitely try to find a domestic seller. Thanks.

These Reusch gloves will prob be good, and the key thing is the V thing between the index finger and thumb, compare to the addidas ones below:

http://www.amazon.com/Reusch-3270871-9-Keon-Gloves-9/dp/B008OWXNE6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1393562052&sr=8-6&keywords=goalkeeper+gloves

these addidas and any gloves with a design like them will rip very quickly between the thumb and index finger:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Soulex posted:

I was thinking about trying to coach kids football. Is it super hard if you only know a few basic mechanics of the game?

Last year I coached a U13s team for my first ever coaching attempt and it went pretty well. I think at that level and any lower you aren't going to need too complicated a set of tactics (unless you've lucked into coaching BarcelonaFCJuniors or something), just basic rules and concepts should be fine. As long as you have a handle on that it should be OK.

I would suggest pumping as many minutes of training into fitness and passing; if the kids can run they'll just lap the other team and just get them to pass it into the net when clear. Easy peasy.

e: if you're lucky enough to find someone dumb enough to want to play keeper (how many of us are there in this thread :v:) then try to drill into them not to be afraid of the ball. If you can get them to just sprint at strikers 9/10 times they'll spray their shots wide or just give up the ball.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Soulex posted:

Not at all, especially if you are coaching rec league. I've had the advantage of being able to work my way up through the age groups as my daughters get older which has been really great. I study the hell out of soccer coaching stuff, especially stuff about the Dutch method and things that emphasize small-sided games. There are a lot of great resources out there. Granted, I may take it a bit more seriously than your average rec coach but that's just how I am.

Definitely try to get started on the certification process as some leagues won't let you coach at all without at least an E level cert. Of course the state where I got mine didn't give me the paperwork so now I have to redo it. Where are you rolling to? Anywhere near NW Florida?

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
Yeah, this is what mine look like now. Bought them just over a month ago, not really impressed with the build quality. I mean, I know turf is tough on gloves, but this is all in the seams. I almost think that I got a size too small, but these are 10s and my palm is about 8.75" around. Should I go for an 11 on the next pair? I've got some room in the fingertips in these.

You can see the busted thumb seam, but the latex is ripping at the bottom of each "V" between the fingers, too.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

Not at all, especially if you are coaching rec league. I've had the advantage of being able to work my way up through the age groups as my daughters get older which has been really great. I study the hell out of soccer coaching stuff, especially stuff about the Dutch method and things that emphasize small-sided games. There are a lot of great resources out there. Granted, I may take it a bit more seriously than your average rec coach but that's just how I am.

Definitely try to get started on the certification process as some leagues won't let you coach at all without at least an E level cert. Of course the state where I got mine didn't give me the paperwork so now I have to redo it. Where are you rolling to? Anywhere near NW Florida?

Oh god, NW Florida. Where at? I know some people in that area that play, I can ask around for you if you're looking for something.

This would actually be for military dependent youths. So, no certification needed really. Just something I'm thinking about doing since I can't play.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Trips posted:

Yeah, this is what mine look like now. Bought them just over a month ago, not really impressed with the build quality. I mean, I know turf is tough on gloves, but this is all in the seams. I almost think that I got a size too small, but these are 10s and my palm is about 8.75" around. Should I go for an 11 on the next pair? I've got some room in the fingertips in these.

Huh, bursting on the outside of the thumb like is not a good sign for sure, probably poor quality and it might be that they're too small, especially if they're ripping between the fingers - definitely a sign that you might need a little more wriggle room.

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

Soulex posted:

I coached U-6's last fall and at that age as long as you can keep the kids focused on the ball and not punching each other you're doing pretty well.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

iajanus posted:

Last year I coached a U13s team for my first ever coaching attempt and it went pretty well. I think at that level and any lower you aren't going to need too complicated a set of tactics (unless you've lucked into coaching BarcelonaFCJuniors or something), just basic rules and concepts should be fine. As long as you have a handle on that it should be OK.

I would suggest pumping as many minutes of training into fitness and passing; if the kids can run they'll just lap the other team and just get them to pass it into the net when clear. Easy peasy.

e: if you're lucky enough to find someone dumb enough to want to play keeper (how many of us are there in this thread :v:) then try to drill into them not to be afraid of the ball. If you can get them to just sprint at strikers 9/10 times they'll spray their shots wide or just give up the ball.

I would add ball handling drills/activities to the mix as well. I generally do those as a warm-up before we jump into practice. Basically concentrating on the basics of the game of soccer and then getting them playing, whether a straight up scrimmage or small-sided games designed to reinforce certain concepts is going give you the best result in my experience. The keeper advice is spot on. Being that I coach rec, everyone plays in goal at least one half in the season. I teach basic positiong, tell them not dive, and teach them to aggressively come out of goal in a 1 on 1 situation. As you said, most kids don't handle a charging goalie well at all. And if they do, well they were probably going to score anyway.

I do some fitness with my U-10s but generally between all the small-sided games and the scrimmage at the end of practice the fitness tends to take care of itself to a large extent. I've just recently added on some sprints at the end of practice right after the scrimmage which I think is going to work out well.

Soulex posted:

Oh god, NW Florida. Where at? I know some people in that area that play, I can ask around for you if you're looking for something.

This would actually be for military dependent youths. So, no certification needed really. Just something I'm thinking about doing since I can't play.

I'm stationed in Pensacola. We have a regular group but my issue is time. And as for the cert thing, certainly not required if your league doesn't require it but if the opportunity presents itself I would take advantage of it. The big thing for you to realize is that you are going to have a team that wildly varies in individual talent level and you're going to have limited time with them each week. You really have to pick and choose what you are trying to teach them. Just please don't be the guy who is out there thinking he is coaching the Brazil U-14 team. I coached against guys who I want to punch because they stand there and yell at their players all game long. Thats a great way to ensure kids never want to play the game again.

Xylorjax posted:

I coached U-6's last fall and at that age as long as you can keep the kids focused on the ball and not punching each other you're doing pretty well.

This is true at all youth levels to some extent but as you said, especially for the younger kids. For U-6s we do a lot of fun games that mostly involve dribbling and it usually pays off big. You don't even have to restrict yourself to soccer games at that level, just general games that get them moving and doing athletic stuff are fine too. I avoid any drill or activity that involves them standing in a line waiting for something to happen because that is a surefire way to lose them quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I coached U10-U12 girls one year to help out my buddy whose daughter was on the team.

Here's my advice: Don't.