Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

Crafty posted:

The motion controls (hand waving and pushing)for the dashboard and in apps from what I've seen are completely poo poo, absolutely useless.

I really don't understand how this passed any form of QA. Pushing your hand in to press a button is the most frustrating thing I've ever tried. They really need to replace it with clenching your fist and using some other gesture for dragging the screen across.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Dan Didio posted:

Okay, so, you're being wilfully obtuse? Like I already explained, I was responding to people suggesting it as a preventative fix for Microsoft spying on people. I wasn't the one who brought it up, or posted the article. I think you might be losing it Crafty.

Maybe I am. The people posting about buying the covers for Kinect were doing so in response to an article about the NSA potentially spying, not Microsoft selling their info. I guess you didn't see the article though which is why none this makes sense.

https://twitter.com/Titanfallgame/status/438850075255529473

Wonder what this means? A robot sword?

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

hanyolo posted:

Yeah all the criticisms that I keep on seeing have pretty much all been or are going to be fixed. Everyone knows that it performs worse at multiplats but if those is the only things you are going to play then I don't know what to say... It's funny seeing people in the hate thread complaining that they can't post negative stuff here to stop people from buying an XB1. It's almost like they work for Sony :v:

"But they're going to patch it!" its all I hear from that side of the discussion when problems arise, even when they're flat out hardware problems. Unless you don't mind buying multiple xbones during it's cycle, of course.
Actually, yearly release consoles sounds exactly like something Microsoft would do, just add a few minor hardware changes each revision.

Crafty posted:

The voice commands are better than I expected.
Better than the expected expecting what? Setting your house on fire?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

It means nothing.

https://twitter.com/De_Juan_Davis

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Dan Didio posted:

Well, I don't you should be spied on through your phone, either, I'd rather like it if the potential wasn't in any of these devices, but that's just personal preference for what I use, but I do think when it comes down to 'phone' or 'video game console', there's the obvious issue that for a lot of people a phone is more essential, and the issue with phones is that no matter what phone you're using you'll likely be spied on, whereas Microsoft has two competitors (one, arguably) who don't have all this controversy surrounding them about these issues at the moment.

It's as much a problem of branding, philosophy and recognition as it is anything else, so I don't think these 'just put tape over it' practicality fixes are very good attempts at addressing the issue.

My point is that you're probably not exposing yourself to significant additional risk of privacy violation. In the same way that having two phones isn't going to expose you significantly more. Maybe I'm wrong. If I actually knew for sure I'd apparently have to flee to Russia.

Oh and I'm not advocating the tape thing or whatever, I'm just saying if the One is recording you then you're already likely being recorded by one or two or three other things in your house. Things that have your extensive contact lists on them and not how many times you hate quit out of FIFA early.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

qnqnx posted:

"But they're going to patch it!" its all I hear from that side of the discussion when problems arise, even when they're flat out hardware problems.

The patches are here or are coming very soon. What other hardware problems are you talking about?

Dan Didio posted:

whereas Microsoft has two competitors (one, arguably) who don't have all this controversy surrounding them about these issues at the moment.

It's funny that one of these competitors has actually leaked your personal information in the past. I'd personally be more worried about them.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Crafty posted:

Maybe I am. The people posting about buying the covers for Kinect were doing so in response to an article about the NSA potentially spying, not Microsoft selling their info. I guess you didn't see the article though which is why none this makes sense.

Microsoft selling, or sharing, info and private data was a prior concern in similar discussions, which informed a large part of the public backlash to the Xbox One and people's perception of the Kinect 2.0, which was part of the problem that I was referring to earlier.

hanyolo posted:

It's funny that one of these competitors has actually leaked your personal information in the past. I'd personally be more worried about them.

No, not my personal information, certainly not in a similar way or scale that the Kinect is capable of causing, which again, is part of the problem and perception that I was referring to. I'm not 'worried' about anything here.

MJBuddy posted:

My point is that you're probably not exposing yourself to significant additional risk of privacy violation. In the same way that having two phones isn't going to expose you significantly more. Maybe I'm wrong. If I actually knew for sure I'd apparently have to flee to Russia.

Oh and I'm not advocating the tape thing or whatever, I'm just saying if the One is recording you then you're already likely being recorded by one or two or three other things in your house. Things that have your extensive contact lists on them and not how many times you hate quit out of FIFA early.

I don't disagree with you, my point is that there are reasons why people perceive those devices, and the risks, differently to the Xbox One.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 28, 2014

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

hanyolo posted:

The patches are here or are coming very soon. What other hardware problems are you talking about?

For starters, the whole (lack of) memory mess.
And Sony didn't profit from the hacking, even, exactly the contrary.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

qnqnx posted:

Better than the expected expecting what? Setting your house on fire?

Uh, no. Just didn't expect them to be picked up as consistently as they are, also thought I'd get sick of them and it might just be a gimmick like siri. Turns out it really aids functionality, can't picture going back now.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Sedisp posted:

So is it only positive repetition is allowed or something?
Welp that's what the SH/SC Windows 8 thread was eventually restricted to so I guess he's hoping for the same result.

The greatest irony in that post was the use of :qq: to describe other posters, just beautiful

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

qnqnx posted:

"But they're going to patch it!" its all I hear from that side of the discussion when problems arise, even when they're flat out hardware problems. Unless you don't mind buying multiple xbones during it's cycle, of course.
Actually, yearly release consoles sounds exactly like something Microsoft would do, just add a few minor hardware changes each revision.

There are literally patched for the bad party system, friends list, freeing up some Kinect resources to games, motion controls interrupting video, and other well documented patches coming. They're not here yet. We can't talk about what their results are (though maybe sba can now with the other early transitioners). There's also a dev talking about a new SDK for that improves poo poo.

We don't know what poo poo, how much poo poo, etc. It won't be suddenly parity with the PS4 but it should be better. I don't think people should get their hopes up either.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

This issue might need its own thread in games (not for just this either, but game companies stealing user data). It's clear that users of this thread aren't interested in hearing stories about this, but potential X1 buyers should be made aware of what potentially they are exposing themselves too.

I personally would be interested in this topic and how it relates to the future of this hobby.

Thread about privacy risks as they pertain to video games has been created here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611865

Edit: Thread has been moved away from Games sub forum.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 28, 2014

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Thread about privacy risks as they pertain to video games has been created here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611865

Cool. Very happy to at minimum not have to talk about it again here every day for the next ever.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Welp that's what the SH/SC Windows 8 thread was eventually restricted to so I guess he's hoping for the same result.

The greatest irony in that post was the use of :qq: to describe other posters, just beautiful

Using an emoticon in my one of two posts in this thread to voice concern over the same group of posters who keep bring up the same poo poo dozens and dozens of times over the course of two megathreads aren't the same thing.

Sometimes I wonder if those people even have an XBox One or have actually used one. If they did, most of the criticisms wouldn't be nearly as bad as people are making them out to be, but it's easier to be indignant.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Charles Martel posted:

Using an emoticon in my one of two posts in this thread to voice concern over the same group of posters who keep bring up the same poo poo dozens and dozens of times over the course of two megathreads aren't the same thing.

Sometimes I wonder if those people even have an XBox One or have actually used one. If they did, most of the criticisms wouldn't be nearly as bad as people are making them out to be, but it's easier to be indignant.

I've used an Xbox 360 extensively. That's close enough right? I mean the graphical output is about the same and the games take less time to install :v:

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Charles Martel posted:

They don't own Xbox ones but that doesn't mean they can't post here. Don't take it personally dude, just look upon them as console Jehovah witnesses. They mean no harm, they are just here on a crusade to spread the good word on a subject they feel is deeply important.

Some Xbox one devs did a stream earlier. Here's the snazzy twitch pause screen. Click for bigger.

The second one is odd as I imagined the chat and video would be snapped like all other apps. I hope it's real and that this means we will eventually get picture in picture like that for all snapping as I hate wasting screen unnecessarily when watching TV. We'll see!

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Crafty posted:

They don't own Xbox ones but that doesn't mean they can't post here. Don't take it personally dude, just look upon them as console Jehovah witnesses. They mean no harm, they are just here on a crusade to spread the good word on a subject they feel is deeply important.

Some Xbox one devs did a stream earlier. Here's the snazzy twitch pause screen. Click for bigger.

The second one is odd as I imagined the chat and video would be snapped like all other apps. I hope it's real and that this means we will eventually get picture in picture like that for all snapping as I hate wasting screen unnecessarily when watching TV. We'll see!

That PIP is the same location you can put it in Upload Studio and where it is during Skype. I would also prefer a PIP non snapped though. Maybe that's an actual use for motion controls. To let me put it somewhere unobtrusive.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Charles Martel posted:

Again what kind of posts are allowed to be reiterated on? Considering there isn't a whole lot of games out for it now there isn't really anything to talk about period that isn't just regurgitating a point already made.

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 28, 2014

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

DancingShade posted:

I've used an Xbox 360 extensively. That's close enough right? I mean the graphical output is about the same and the games take less time to install :v:

Good point. A lot of 360 games can't do 1080p after the console has been out for almost nine years. It's just MS dropping the ball again as always and making GBS threads all over it's fanbase. Not sure about the Kinect either. Have you heard that it can spy on you? Here, let me quote this article that has nothing to do with that so I can fail miserably to try and prove my point.

Let us have this enlightening circle jerk every other page in the thread to constantly remind people about what a failure the XBox is.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Sedisp posted:

Again what kind of posts are allowed to be reiterated on? Considering there isn't a whole lot of games out for it now there isn't really anything to talk about period that isn't just regurgitating a point already made.

Repeating yourself loudly is not superior to silence by virtue of producing noise.

I know you think that there's some faction here just repeating glowing points or something but I certainly haven't seen anything like that. The old thread had maybe 4-5 posts a day on slow days. Most of the post count in this thread (and that one) is just a rehash of arguments that are going to change no ones mind under the guise of protecting some straw msn consumer.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

MJBuddy posted:

Repeating yourself loudly is not superior to silence by virtue of producing noise.

I know you think that there's some faction here just repeating glowing points or something but I certainly haven't seen anything like that. The old thread had maybe 4-5 posts a day on slow days. Most of the post count in this thread (and that one) is just a rehash of arguments that are going to change no ones mind under the guise of protecting some straw msn consumer.

Hence why I'm asking what topics can be repeated. Do all the people talking about how they're having fun need to not post because we already get it? Should we just nuke the SimCity topic at this point since it's all just laughing at the shortcomings of the game?

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.

SparkPeople posted:

So without the kinect there are: no voice commands, recording, snapping apps. Is there anything else I'm missing?

I ask because I'm planning on getting this thing used/non-kinect sku.

You can still record and snap it's just harder.

"Xbox record that" -> Press the guide button, hit my games & apps, hit game dvr, choose "end clip now" and hit "last 30 seconds"
"Xbox snap whatever" -> Press the guide button, hit snap button, select app from list

Upload Studio is used to edit and upload your clips to Skydrive, and you need a Kinect connected to use Upload Studio.

Ronald Duck fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Feb 28, 2014

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Speaking of voice controls, which work about 30% of the time for me, does anyone actually like / have success using them in Dead Rising? Taunting the bosses with the same command over and over is the stupidest feature. "Over here" is OK since I use it like once every hour of gameplay, but saying "you're crazy" or "calm down" every 30 seconds during a boss fight is irritating. (Yes I know you can just not say it, which I do now, since it only works about 1/3rd of the time.)

Since I just got the bone, I'm hoping that this was due to whatever issue was introduced in the last update and not a critical thing. The voice commands are pretty unintuitive too. Why does "Xbox turn off" work, but "Xbox shut down" not work? Couldn't they have some guy brainstorm different ways people might say the same thing, instead of requiring you to learn specific commands?

Also is that thing about it "learning / recognizing your voice" actually true? I don't have any particular accent or poor pronunciation or something, not that I enunciate like the queen of England either, but maybe I just haven't talked to it enough for it to learn, like Siri does.

saber45
Nov 10, 2004

Saladman posted:

Speaking of voice controls, which work about 30% of the time for me, does anyone actually like / have success using them in Dead Rising? Taunting the bosses with the same command over and over is the stupidest feature. "Over here" is OK since I use it like once every hour of gameplay, but saying "you're crazy" or "calm down" every 30 seconds during a boss fight is irritating. (Yes I know you can just not say it, which I do now, since it only works about 1/3rd of the time.)

Since I just got the bone, I'm hoping that this was due to whatever issue was introduced in the last update and not a critical thing. The voice commands are pretty unintuitive too. Why does "Xbox turn off" work, but "Xbox shut down" not work? Couldn't they have some guy brainstorm different ways people might say the same thing, instead of requiring you to learn specific commands?

Also is that thing about it "learning / recognizing your voice" actually true? I don't have any particular accent or poor pronunciation or something, not that I enunciate like the queen of England either, but maybe I just haven't talked to it enough for it to learn, like Siri does.

It's probably worth doing the kinect setup again and when it says to turn up your TV volume REALLY turn it up and turn on any loud things that are often operated near it so it has the maximum background noise it will ever have to deal with. Since I did this mines been a lot better.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Deep down I probably already know the answer to this, but is there some way to mute other Live players on the Xbone? As much fun as it is to have an angry French person cursing at me or hear a child's voice go "you are cheap" when I'm beating them at Killer Instinct, I'd rather just listen to the in-game sounds and music.

edit: I guess this is one way to do it. A bit silly and convoluted compared to the "mute all players" option on the 360, though.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 28, 2014

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Saladman posted:

The vocabulary for voice commands is wildly inconsistent and kind of defeats the point if you have to have a cheat-sheet nearby. This has been a complaint people have voiced before, but it's worth repeating. They really should have gotten a variety of phrases to handle specific commands, and I'm still surprised that's not been patched in. I've not heard any information on it increasing in accuracy based on repeated user input. The voice recognition is all local, Siri works by sending your message to their servers for processing.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

The vocabulary for voice commands is wildly inconsistent and kind of defeats the point if you have to have a cheat-sheet nearby. This has been a complaint people have voiced before, but it's worth repeating. They really should have gotten a variety of phrases to handle specific commands, and I'm still surprised that's not been patched in. I've not heard any information on it increasing in accuracy based on repeated user input. The voice recognition is all local, Siri works by sending your message to their servers for processing.

If only MS had cloud technology or something they could use as well.. hm.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Charles Martel posted:

All I'm saying is, if people are going to critize it, then post something worth criticizing. I'm just tired of reading the same strawman arguments over and over again in what should be a more neutral discussion about the system. The "shortcomings" that keep coming up have been done to death. The Kinect makes the console more expensive. People have privacy concerns with the Kinect. All games don't run in 1080p like they can on the PS4 and PC. We get it. Can we move on now?

I see.

So, the fact that the system is more expensive, demonstrably less powerful, the company that released it is clearly not consumer friendly, there's credible reasons to believe its killer add on is spying on its users for marketing and governmental purposes, its other defining feature - namely the cable TV integration - strips out audio quality as well as not functioning in most countries, these are all off limits when discussing the pros and cons of this system.

What cons are we allowed to discuss?

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

Doflamingo posted:

If only MS had cloud technology or something they could use as well.. hm.

Maybe on the Xbox The Two

PhilippAchtel posted:

The system is more expensive, demonstrably less powerful, the company that released it is clearly not consumer friendly, there's credible reasons to believe its killer add on is spying on its users for marketing and governmental purposes, its other defining feature - namely the cable TV integration - strips out audio quality as well as not functioning in most countries, these are all off limits when discussing the pros and cons of this system.

Making this the OP in a giant bolded font followed by "if you still want to buy one or already own, read on" might be useful.

Because page after page of 'its more expensive, less powerful, etc' is not useful - we already know this. It hasnt changed and when it does that might be useful to discuss, but right now its page after page of console warriors saying the same things over and over again and pretending its 'discussing pros and cons' rather than being a console warrior defending indefensible negative things about the bone or stating the same negative things over and over and

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 28, 2014

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Because page after page of 'its more expensive, less powerful, etc' is not useful - we already know this. It hasnt changed and when it does that might be useful to discuss, but right now its page after page of console warriors saying the same things over and over again and pretending its 'discussing pros and cons' rather than being a console warrior defending indefensible negative things about the bone or stating the same negative things over and over and

Fair enough, but it's funny how every new negative about the system gets quickly thrown on the "everyone knows that, not worthy of discussion" pile. How long did it take before the privacy issue was ushered out of the thread, and transferred to PCF to die?

It's like the evolution deniers who, when confronted with a new link connecting apes and humans, respond, "Oh, we know about that already, but what about the two new gaps you've created. Come to us when you've come up with something new to discuss."

If you want to have a megathread about something, you should probably be prepared for the same questions and issues to come up for discussion.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

PhilippAchtel posted:

Fair enough, but it's funny how every new negative about the system gets quickly thrown on the "everyone knows that, not worthy of discussion" pile. How long did it take before the privacy issue was ushered out of the thread, and transferred to PCF to die?

It's like the evolution deniers who, when confronted with a new link connecting apes and humans, respond, "Oh, we know about that already, but what about the two new gaps you've created. Come to us when you've come up with something new to discuss."

If you want to have a megathread about something, you should probably be prepared for the same questions and issues to come up for discussion.

The privacy thing seems relevant to discuss because its still a bit fuzzy what is actually going on with it and what the reprecations could be. I more meant add "its substantially more expensive and significantly slower" to the OP because once you know that and post about it are just intentionally trolling about simple indisputable facts. I dont think there is an issue with the same questions coming up over and over again, its just the same questions coming up over and over again that have very simple answers that could be answered with a bullet point in the OP because every time they are discussed in the thread it leads to console warriors taking up arms.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

PhilippAchtel posted:

I see.

So, the fact that the system is more expensive, demonstrably less powerful, the company that released it is clearly not consumer friendly, there's credible reasons to believe its killer add on is spying on its users for marketing and governmental purposes, its other defining feature - namely the cable TV integration - strips out audio quality as well as not functioning in most countries, these are all off limits when discussing the pros and cons of this system.

What cons are we allowed to discuss?

Free apps and MMOs are behind a paywall, less developer support, OS designed to serve you ads instead of serving you apps...

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

The privacy thing seems relevant to discuss because its still a bit fuzzy what is actually going on with it and what the reprecations could be. I more meant add "its substantially more expensive and significantly slower" to the OP because once you know that and post about it are just intentionally trolling about simple indisputable facts. I dont think there is an issue with the same questions coming up over and over again, its just the same questions coming up over and over again that have very simple answers that could be answered with a bullet point in the OP because every time they are discussed in the thread it leads to console warriors taking up arms.

And I don't understand why people don't just post and move on? If you feel negatively about the system (and there's reason to) then post and move on. If you're in here for months on end fighting some never ending battle then maybe you should take a step back and take a breather..

On a lighter note, my wife and I were watching TV the other night and it was a bit hot and she reflexively said "Heater - turn down." and then sat there for a second before going "..oh." Kinda funny. I am probably about to sell my Xbox because we have our first kid on the way and I doubt I'll have time for it, but I think she's actually gonna miss the voice commands.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

PhilippAchtel posted:

I think the point is with the Kinect spying business, there's not a lot to discuss. An article about yahoo webcams being spied on citing reports from four to six years ago says they considered spying on Xbox live. Considering the date of the information it'd be more pertinent in the Xbox 360 thread. Everyone's aware we may be spied upon by any of our electronic devices, I don't see how the Kinect is any better or worse. My tablet has two cameras! And if you're going to raise the 'always listening point' please consider that if all the minds of the NSA bent their will to it I'm sure they could come up with a way of turning your PC, Tablet or Phone microphone on without your knowledge. And if they got stuck they could always ask their pals in the FBI for a few pointers http://bgr.com/2013/08/02/fbi-android-microphone-hack/.

The posts on the subject here are generally people that are new to the thread posting on the level of ' oh my god check this guardian article out, they're watching!!' which doesn't really make for exciting reading. Especially not the 20th time.

I really like your evolution denier analogy but I'm yet to see anyone deny the fact that the NSA could spy on anyone through any of their devices on this thread. If Microsoft were complicit in the hacking then this would absolutely be the place to discuss it, but they aren't. The discussion belongs here as much as it does in any thread about a device that has cameras and can connect to the internet. Anyway I'll be happy to discuss this further with you in the special thread we now have in the UFO forum. Can we get a link to the conspiracy thread in the first post please OP?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Free apps and MMOs are behind a paywall, less developer support, OS designed to serve you ads instead of serving you apps...

Ads really aren't a problem on the Xbox One. I'm sure, like with the 360, at some point they'll redesign the dash to include them, but right now, it is pretty clean. No weird McDonalds commercials or the like. I'm not sure your less developer support point is valid either. Rumors seem to indicate that the Elder Scrolls MMO will be behind gold on Xbox but not on Playstation and that would certainly be a negative.

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

I more meant add "its substantially more expensive and significantly slower" to the OP because once you know that and post about it are just intentionally trolling about simple indisputable facts. I dont think there is an issue with the same questions coming up over and over again, its just the same questions coming up over and over again that have very simple answers that could be answered with a bullet point in the OP because every time they are discussed in the thread it leads to console warriors taking up arms.

I'm happy to add something to the OP about this if someone wants to compile a quick list of the examples so far. Something like "Be aware that multiplatform titles so far seem to have better frame rate/Resolution on the competing platform, here are examples:"

For what it's worth, I don't think that will or should halt discussion on that topic though as new examples arise.

Also, imho, it is more annoying to have a meta-discussion for pages about what we can discuss, then just discussing things. :)

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

This one is really weird for me. In the age of amazing Google Now and Siri, the inflexibility of the voice commands and seeming inability to learn just seems weird. I'm hoping this is still coming in a patch behind the other things they probably gave more priority to like Friends/Parties/etc. Although, I learned the commands quick and haven't had problems using voice commands until the recent patch, my wife still runs into issues and it would be nice if it was more flexible.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

BonoMan posted:

On a lighter note, my wife and I were watching TV the other night and it was a bit hot and she reflexively said "Heater - turn down." and then sat there for a second before going "..oh." Kinda funny. I am probably about to sell my Xbox because we have our first kid on the way and I doubt I'll have time for it, but I think she's actually gonna miss the voice commands.

This is hilarious. Despite her problems with it at times, my wife loves the voice commands too. My son actually tries to use them but it somehow knows(his tiny voice?) that he has no power and never listens to him.

Crafty posted:

Can we get a link to the conspiracy thread in the first post please OP?

Done.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

King Burgundy posted:

This one is really weird for me. In the age of amazing Google Now and Siri, the inflexibility of the voice commands and seeming inability to learn just seems weird. I'm hoping this is still coming in a patch behind the other things they probably gave more priority to like Friends/Parties/etc. Although, I learned the commands quick and haven't had problems using voice commands until the recent patch, my wife still runs into issues and it would be nice if it was more flexible.

You know, the longer I think about it, the more I hope the Xbox division gets sold off to a company that can really focus on it. I think MS, at this point, is just way too big of a company to ever be able to solve it's own problems at an acceptable pace. It seems like everything that has come out of late has been a half baked "designed by committee" idea. They need someone central to be able to say "you know what? This poo poo doesn't work. Go fix it." They're burdened by their own size and the giant bureaucracy that has become of their infrastructure.

I think the only way for the Xbox to get back to being a real competitor is if someone smaller, with more passion and ability to actually loving execute and innovate, gets a hold of it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

King Burgundy posted:

This is hilarious. Despite her problems with it at times, my wife loves the voice commands too. My son actually tries to use them but it somehow knows(his tiny voice?) that he has no power and never listens to him.

If the Bone could do input switching and navigating our cable box's arcane menu to actually record a drat show I don't think we would use TV remotes.

I really want a full database on the Xticles of what all the voice commands are. I've been using this thing for ages with minor frustration at there not being a voice login feature and boy howdy there actually is.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Barudak posted:

If the Bone could do input switching and navigating our cable box's arcane menu to actually record a drat show I don't think we would use TV remotes.

I really want a full database on the Xticles of what all the voice commands are. I've been using this thing for ages with minor frustration at there not being a voice login feature and boy howdy there actually is.

It's funny how there are secret voice commands. I just figured out the sign in one too, another one is 'Xbox accept' to join a party, neither of these are on the voice command list.

There was no solid tutorial unfortunately, it definitely needs one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Crafty posted:

It's funny how there are secret voice commands. I just figured out the sign in one too, another one is 'Xbox accept' to join a party, neither of these are on the voice command list.

There was no solid tutorial unfortunately, it definitely needs one.

Siri doesn't need a tutorial and it can do about a million things that are more complicated. It Just Works™

• Locked thread