Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Propagandalf posted:

Turn academy grads into generals.

Considering iyaayas01's post I'm not entirely sure AF brass isn't grown underground like a fungus and fed with a steady diet of horseshit, contractor promises and LockMart powerpoints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
When I worked at the Fed I saw ads on the Washington Metro extolling the virtues of the Global Hawk. I always wondered why they felt it necessary. Now I know.

edit: There were also ads for the MQ-8, not sure what to make of that in light of this.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 26, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Is a plane with the wingspan and handling of the U-2 not also weather sensitive? Don't answer if that's improper.

One wonders if it would be cheaper to convert the U-2 frames to remote/drone control than to futz with Global Hawk.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Snowdens Secret posted:

Is a plane with the wingspan and handling of the U-2 not also weather sensitive? Don't answer if that's improper.

It's a matter of degrees. Obviously something like the U-2 isn't going tooling through the heart of a thunderstorm anytime soon, but there are other differences that go beyond the "long thin wings flying at high altitude" similarities for why the U-2 is less affected by weather than the RQ-4. I'm talking less about "can both airframes fly through the exact same type of weather" and more along the lines of "will given weather within x miles of a planned flight path cause the RQ-4 to scrub the mission where the U-2 could press?" This article goes into some of the specifics.

e:

Party Plane Jones posted:

Considering iyaayas01's post I'm not entirely sure AF brass isn't grown underground like a fungus and fed with a steady diet of horseshit, contractor promises and LockMart powerpoints.

Hey, they made the right decision about the Global Chicken, Congress tied our hands!

Ignore the fact that right up until the purse strings got tight and we had to choose between the U-2 and RQ-4 the brass was all about the Global Chicken, even going so far as to certify it essential to national security against a Nunn-McCurdy breach back in '11...less than two years before they were trying to completely divest themselves of the entire program. Like I said, the whole thing stinks to high heaven.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 26, 2014

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Mortabis posted:

When I worked at the Fed I saw ads on the Washington Metro extolling the virtues of the Global Hawk. I always wondered why they felt it necessary. Now I know.

edit: There were also ads for the MQ-8, not sure what to make of that in light of this.

The local - and most popular - FM news radio station in the DC area routinely plays pro-military spending advertisements for no reason other than some old crank might hear "carrying our military into the twenty-first century" and write a letter to his congressman/senator, or all the D/I lobbyists/executives in the area just like wasting money for :smug:'s sake.

And the Global Chicken is BIG. Big things are good because big things are expensive. Expensive things are good for general's post-career prospects. :colbert:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
The Navy MQ-4 program sounds like it's still going strong. If DOD wanted to save money it could probably shift airframes over to that instead of parking them in the desert, there'd be a conversion cost but presumably it's less than building new ones.

Counterpoint, turf wars. Someone might suggest the Navy might as well be doing recon in areas like the Pacific where it's almost all over water already.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Shithead Deluxe posted:

Spain's rations look like canned meat and packs of rubbers.

Australia's sound awful.

quote:

...a serving of love-it-or-hate-it Vegemite to jam sandwich biscuits and a tube of sweetened condensed milk. The bag includes a can-opener-cum-spoon...

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
You say that like cum-spoons are bad things.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

iyaayas01 posted:

I can't remember what's open source so this will be general, but the answer to your question is "a lot." From a sensor standpoint the two aircraft aren't even comparable. Here's a decent article on what NG's proposals were for upgrading the Global Chicken's sensor suite to something closer to the U-2...the proposals basically boiled down to "pay us three quarters of a billion dollars to integrate the sensor suite that already works on the U-2, also that doesn't include actually procuring said sensor suite, so you would have to pull the sensors off of the U-2, where they work, onto our plane, where we can't guarantee they will."

And they wonder why we wanted to shitcan their colossal piece of poo poo.

That's not getting into the fact that it is a maintenance pig. The blue suit maintainers on it can hardly do anything (it's even worse in that respect than the Pred/Reaper), so we're beholden to a bunch of contractors to fix it, and as has been pointed out already it costs more per flight hour (although NG played some numbers games to make it look like the CPFH was down below the U-2 last year). Finally, it (like most other RPAs) is pretty weather sensitive, which is just another strike against it vs the U-2.

It's worth pointing out that everyone in the USAF (all the way up to Hostage at ACC and Welsh at the very top) wanted to keep the U-2 and get rid of both the Block 30 and Block 40 RQ-4s but NG's Congressional delegation put language in the 2014 NDAA explicitly forbidding the USAF from getting rid of it. We don't have enough money to support both the U-2 and RQ-4 sustainment (not to mention all the money we're going to have to spend to try and get it up to the U-2's standard), and since we were legally forbidden from doing anything to NG's piece of poo poo, our hands were kind of tied.

e: I used to be ambivalent on the Global Chicken vs U-2 debate but after talking with a couple of friends who work on it and getting a bit of tangential first hand experience while I was deployed, I can't stand it. That whole thing should rank up there in crookedness with KC-X as far as "people needing to go to jail" over this. NG's just smarter than Boeing about who they're paying off (it's a lot easier to stay in the clear when you get Congress to do your dirty work for you).

It sounds like the best solution is to crash the bloody things and be done with it. Then you don't have to pay to maintain them.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

BIG HEADLINE posted:

During Desert Storm they had state-of-the-art revetments and facilities, and the crews were fresh out of the European theater after having been drilled hard for years in regards to precision and expedience in regards to maintenance and deployment that they could've done everything in their sleep. No offense met to current crew chiefs, but the Cold War variety were drilled in a sense that in a scramble they should expect warheads to be raining down momentarily, and those were the guys who got tapped to arm and maintain those planes.

Nowadays the impetus to be decent at your job is a good EPR, not knowing that you got your planes aloft before your base got vaporized.

*citation needed

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

Mortabis posted:

I used to transfer at the Pentagon metro station every morning. Now *there* was a plethora of ads!

The ones for the Zumwalt always made me chuckle when they slashed the order for them.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

*citation needed

It's mostly accurate. The Saudis were building facilities for the US faster than Dubai can put up skyscrapers. I doubt crew chiefs were much different than they are now, based on my my dad's and his friends' alcohol consumption and general attitudes towards poo poo.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I know the usual Cold War hot scenario started with Pact pouring through the Fulda Gap, but this Ukraine stuff makes me wonder what our diplomatic / military plans were if in peacetime a major USSR member seriously decided to get out and align West. Especially after what some feel was a missed opportunity in '56, among others.

My instinct is "it was wargamed, everything up to and possibly including invasion by Nazis from the Moon was wargamed, all of it still classified"

Which also brings up what in the world we thought we were going to do with all the coastal landing assets we'd built up on the Atlantic side in the first place. Free Occupied Sweden?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Snowdens Secret posted:

Which also brings up what in the world we thought we were going to do with all the coastal landing assets we'd built up on the Atlantic side in the first place. Free Occupied Sweden?

There were contingency missions in Norway, Denmark, and possibly the Med as well. Though Central Europe was pretty much locked off as a realm of military opportunism due to the escalatory risks, conflict on the Northern and Southern 'fringe' was being talked about as far more likely IIRC.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!
I can't believe I forgot this thread existed- then I went to Bangladesh and hung out on some guys roof. Thought y'all might like some Mig-29s and assorted Chengdus

2720 by Powercube, on Flickr

28264 by Powercube, on Flickr

F946 by Powercube, on Flickr

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Which one of y'all bought an ad for this thread?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Koesj posted:

There were contingency missions in Norway, Denmark, and possibly the Med as well. Though Central Europe was pretty much locked off as a realm of military opportunism due to the escalatory risks, conflict on the Northern and Southern 'fringe' was being talked about as far more likely IIRC.

There's still an entire MEB's worth of poo poo pre-positioned in a couple of caves in Norway. The idea was that while the rest of the real military was occupied with preventing the Soviets from steamrolling through Central Europe the Marines (both US and Royal) would go up there and gently caress around in the cold.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

spankmeister posted:

Which one of y'all bought an ad for this thread?

Well it got me here under the false hope we'd be discussing electronic warfare! :science:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

vulturesrow posted:

Well it got me here under the false hope we'd be discussing electronic warfare! :science:
I think the issue is that most people who could do an effortpost on the subject would end up skirting the line between "things anyone can figure out based on antenna theory" and "things you can only learn in a SCIF." I've been trying to find a good open source history of EW and electronic surveillance efforts, but I'd guess most of it is still classified.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

I think the issue is that most people who could do an effortpost on the subject would end up skirting the line between "things anyone can figure out based on antenna theory" and "things you can only learn in a SCIF." I've been trying to find a good open source history of EW and electronic surveillance efforts, but I'd guess most of it is still classified.

Yeah I'd love to read about EW beyond "That B-52 that accidentally turned on its EW suite over the States and pissed a lot of people off" but it seems like something that would be really tricky to talk about.

I dunno, maybe someone could post about Wild Weasel pilots and their massive balls or something?

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f30_1393584675

:stare:

Hinds are so cool, but not that many in one place outside of an airshow, that would be incredibly unnerving.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

A minor proxy war between NATO and Russia is highly unlikely but would be an incredible sight to behold. Obviously not something I'd like to see happen as death is Not Good, though.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

simplefish posted:

A minor proxy war between NATO and Russia is highly unlikely but would be an incredible sight to behold. Obviously not something I'd like to see happen as death is Not Good, though.

Fighting Russia over Sevastopol around Balaclava? I know just what weight of brigade to use for that.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Vindolanda posted:

Fighting Russia over Sevastopol around Balaclava? I know just what weight of brigade to use for that.

All while plugged into the mains to restore their batteries, no doubt

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

simplefish posted:

One could argue " A minor proxy war between NATO and Russia" better describes Syria

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Dead Reckoning posted:

This is true. This is my area of expertise (I'm an EA-6B guy) and I'm very hesitant to say too much just to make sure I don't inadvertantly cross a line I shouldn't. Generally speaking, theory is usually ok and the more specific you get with capabilities and platforms the more likely it is you shouldn't be talking about it. I'm not sure if I'm up for effort posting but I'd be happy to discuss even if the best I can do is generalities.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Snowdens Secret posted:

One could argue " A minor proxy war between NATO and Russia" better describes Syria

I wasn't aware that Saudi Arabia and Qatar were in NATO.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

I wasn't aware that Saudi Arabia and Qatar were in NATO.

Turkey is.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

simplefish posted:

All while plugged into the mains to restore their batteries, no doubt

I am seeking the pun. I cannot find it.

Help me.

help.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Beijing Military Museum dump from 2009 I think. Backing up photos to my OneDrive and thought that I would post some here.
(excuse the dark photos, they had lovely lighting in the wings of the museum)

Hero Mig 15: Apparently shot down a few UN-aligned aircraft.

Space Capsule

SCUD Clone

Pretty Sure the next two are anti-ship missiles.

Taiwan Saber:

Mig 15 Trainer

Shooting Star

Mig 21

Something Soviet

Taiwanese U2 Wreckage

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Blistex posted:

Something Soviet

Looks like a Yak-38 but that's actually a Q-5.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Blistex posted:

Beijing Military Museum dump from 2009 I think. Backing up photos to my OneDrive and thought that I would post some here.
(excuse the dark photos, they had lovely lighting in the wings of the museum)

Taiwan Saber:

This made me read up on the Taiwan Strait Crisis and holy poo poo I didn't know the AIM-9 was that old.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Yeah, that designation is only going to go away when they run out of alphabet letters (and maybe not even then, but you know there will be a 9Z at some point)

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

Servicio en Espanol posted:

A reformer Air Force colonel named James Burton heard about this idea, decided it was terrible, and came up with something he named the "Blitzfighter." It was to be a 5,000-10,000 pound, single engine attack aircraft armed with a four-barreled version of the A-10's Avenger cannon. It would have a titanium bathtub for the pilot to sit in, a radio, and that motherfucker of a cannon, and that is it. No radar, no infra-red sensors, nothing not deemed absolutely essential for lighting up T-72s coming through the Fulda Gap. They would be able to operate from pastures or whatever like the A-10s were supposed to after the airfields got cratered and would essentially go tear-assing after the flow of battle at treetop level engaging tanks they'd acquire visually and cost 2 million dollars apiece. Basically a tank-busting version of the F-5 Freedom Fighter in terms of selling/giving allies a cheap, effective warplane.

Burton started quietly shopping his airplane around the Pentagon to build up support for eventually whammying it on the brass like the Fighter Mafia guys did with the F-16, but a civilian aviation magazine got wind of the thing after a quiet industry meeting and blabbed about it in an article like it was an official Air Force project and the generals came down on Burton and stomped his campaign out cold.

I wonder how much killing this project inadvertently de-escalated things. After all, the "Blitzfighter" sounds exactly like what you'd want if you were thinking of invading through the Fulda gap in an Eastward direction. Cheap, able to operate off of rustic forward bases, and designed to tear-rear end around at treetop level engaging T-72s ahead of the Leopards on their way to invade Poland yet again. It's the classic case of a defensive apparatus that can be easily mistaken as preparation for an attack.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Poor Poland. Wonder when they are going to make a super highway for tanks straight through with gas stations and whorehouses so the armies move through faster and calmer.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Personally I think the idea of the Blitzfighter got canned when someone asked the question of "so, uh, who's going to fly this "austere" deathtrap into day-one Soviet anti-air?" and all the pilots in the room sort of looked at each other and walked out

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

LingcodKilla posted:

Poor Poland. Wonder when they are going to make a super highway for tanks straight through with gas stations and whorehouses so the armies move through faster and calmer.

Back when I was an undergrad I went to hear Lech Walesa give a talk. Dude was an amazing speaker and really goddamned funny - he was talking about some seriously heavy poo poo but sprinkled these just awful, hilarious jokes in with it.

One of the ones that I remember really distinctly was when he was talking about how Poland, historically, has always kind of been stuck between Europe and Russia. I'm paraphrasing the hell out of it, but it went something like this:

"Poland is a beautiful country. We have beautiful rolling hills, thick beautiful forests, beautiful coastlines, it is a wonderful place. The problem is that the Germans and the Russians both know this and they keep wanting to come and visit. In theory we are OK with this. Come! Drive through! Maybe spend some money! But please, leave eventually."

Psion posted:

"so, uh, who's going to fly this "austere" deathtrap into day-one Soviet anti-air?"
If you're an American cold war planner the answer to this is always "Germans."

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Cyrano4747 posted:

Back when I was an undergrad I went to hear Lech Walesa give a talk. Dude was an amazing speaker and really goddamned funny - he was talking about some seriously heavy poo poo but sprinkled these just awful, hilarious jokes in with it.

One of the ones that I remember really distinctly was when he was talking about how Poland, historically, has always kind of been stuck between Europe and Russia. I'm paraphrasing the hell out of it, but it went something like this:

"Poland is a beautiful country. We have beautiful rolling hills, thick beautiful forests, beautiful coastlines, it is a wonderful place. The problem is that the Germans and the Russians both know this and they keep wanting to come and visit. In theory we are OK with this. Come! Drive through! Maybe spend some money! But please, leave eventually."

If you're an American cold war planner the answer to this is always "Germans."

I remember reading his autobiography years back and it was pretty humorous. He mentioned his fondness for drinking and I remember at some point said "You kind of have to find out where the limit is sometimes to reset things." or something like that.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Another video of the helicopters in this story.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/ukraine/10666893/Ukraine-crisis-live-Russia-admits-its-troops-are-moving-in-Crimea.html

Some enterprising person overlayed "Hell March" though :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Haha fabulous. Still one of the best game themes of all time, especially the Red Alert 2 version.