Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhycool
Jul 15, 2012

Good on the goon who put down "DIG" for the final move.

:rip: TO THE 'MON, NOT THEIR SOUL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

ATV finally got the chance to learn Psybeam.

They canceled it. :allears:

Why would ATV need psybeam, his current moveset was enough to beat the leader of the Elite 4 :smug:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ATV don't need no CRUTCH-BEAM

Buh
May 17, 2008
Exp. All would individually notify you, over multiple lines of text, jpw much stat all six members gained. If my memory of the ten minutes I lasted before ditching it are correct it would have added like fifteen button presses to EVERY POKEMON DEFEATED.

Also you get it by catching 50 pokemon so lol no

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
And since you can't catch things with a full box it would require switching boxes on the PC.

JimTheEternal
Mar 5, 2002
This dewgong and drowzee would get along famously, since it clearly is the gatekeeper here.

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman
I love how ATV has been more useful than Pidgeot

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Dr. Dos posted:

And since you can't catch things with a full box it would require switching boxes on the PC.

Not if we release them. :unsmigghh:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hammerite posted:

I will buy a forums account upgrade of your choice for the account of your choice if you are the first person to quote this post and correctly predict the number of times Twitch blacks out to the Elite Four or Champion before beating the game

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
If only Dewgong had used Rest while Pidgeot was spamming Mirror Move

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I vote 12 blackouts.

tiistai posted:

If only Dewgong had used Rest while Pidgeot was spamming Mirror Move

That would've given it a free turn for Aurora Beam.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Buh posted:

Exp. All would individually notify you, over multiple lines of text, jpw much stat all six members gained. If my memory of the ten minutes I lasted before ditching it are correct it would have added like fifteen button presses to EVERY POKEMON DEFEATED.

Also you get it by catching 50 pokemon so lol no

I don't understand why anyone would use the Exp. items for anything other than powerleveling something like a Magickarp. The games are already piss easy as it is, Exp items throw what little difficulty they do have right out the goddamn window.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I vote 12 blackouts.

That's wildly optimistic, considering we've lost 11 times.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

fits posted:

Out of current standings, 5/86

I guess I should've tried for something more mundane and realistic, like Strength/Nidoking/2, or maybe something bizarrely impossible like Solarbeam/Exeggcute/5.

JimTheEternal
Mar 5, 2002

Esroc posted:

I don't understand why anyone would use the Exp. items for anything other than powerleveling something like a Magickarp. The games are already piss easy as it is, Exp items throw what little difficulty they do have right out the goddamn window.

When you say 'difficulty' do you mean 'time spent grinding'?

Rhycool
Jul 15, 2012

TheEggsBenedict posted:

I love how ATV has been more useful than Pidgeot

Keep in mind though, that Bird Jesus was just a small amount of HP away from sweeping Lance's whole team, Dragonite included.

They just keep throwing him face first into ice moves because :effortless:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Zoran posted:

That's wildly optimistic, considering we've lost 11 times.

We have? Last time I was here it was at four.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Esroc posted:

Dude, these guys got stuck at the Viridian Gym for over a day. Because of a ledge. EXP won't help them.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
They really need to teach that Submission to wreck that Dewgong since apparently getting Zapdos up in this fight is impossible.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Dude, these guys got stuck at the Viridian Gym for over a day. Because of a ledge. EXP won't help them.

Right now, XP is the main obstacle. They're going to be ramming head on into the enemies until finally they rack up enough XP on the right pokemon that they can push through. It's a relatively slow process and there's a lot of luck involved, but my guess is they'll make it by morning.

Vulture
Aug 7, 2012

Hammerite posted:

I will buy a forums account upgrade of your choice for the account of your choice if you are the first person to quote this post and correctly predict the number of times Twitch blacks out to the Elite Four or Champion before beating the game

I guess 45.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The way Effort Values worked in this generation makes our Pokemon ludicrously strong compared to the AI. Every time you win, you get some EV points, and they top out at 65,535. In gen 3 onwards they're worth 1/256th as much, and have a total cap of 510 - so your Pokemon only get 40% of the gen 1 EV bonus against the AI. Remember, trainer-raised Pokemon are stronger than wild ones, but in Red and Blue every single Elite Four Pokemon acts as though it was just caught in the wild at that level.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

Right now, XP is the main obstacle. They're going to be ramming head on into the enemies until finally they rack up enough XP on the right pokemon that they can push through. It's a relatively slow process and there's a lot of luck involved, but my guess is they'll make it by morning.

I don't think so. They could probably beat the E4 right now if Zapdos was at the top of the party and they got lucky enough to send out something else against Bruno.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

JimTheEternal posted:

When you say 'difficulty' do you mean 'time spent grinding'?

Nah. It's just that assuming that you don't switch your team around all the time, whenever I've played I've always been between ten and twenty levels over the Elite Four by the time I got to them without any grinding. Other than romhacks I've never fought the Elite Four and been unable to sweep them entirely while only using three Pokémon the entire time while the other three sit at the back of my lineup twiddling their thumbs. Exp. Share and Exp. All make that even worse.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Lord Helix, noooooo!!

If only he had withdrawn more...

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
thing is, being stuck on the Elite Four is at least entertaining. Every time you check in, something exciting is happening. Unfortunately, usually that exciting thing is ATV accidentally getting switched in, using Disable three times, then dying.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Having Zapdos literally anywhere else in the list would be better.

Buh
May 17, 2008
So um if it comes down to ATV vs Dragonite again and we manage to paralyse rather than poison it, it will have enough health to survive ALL of our leech lives and will never fight back. Our only option will be to use up all our PP and then struggle.

Because of his worthless moves ATV has ONE HUNDRED total PP. Dragonite's is infinite.

Please let this happen :allears:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Ogmius815 posted:

Having Zapdos literally anywhere else in the list would be better.

While this is true, our desperado runs are way more entertaining when it's a powerful Pokemon.

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

We only have Zapdos left.
Time to wipe to bruno :getin:

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

That didn't work so well last time.

We are going to witness two losses to Bruno in the same day.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

The way Effort Values worked in this generation makes our Pokemon ludicrously strong compared to the AI. Every time you win, you get some EV points, and they top out at 65,535. In gen 3 onwards they're worth 1/256th as much, and have a total cap of 510 - so your Pokemon only get 40% of the gen 1 EV bonus against the AI. Remember, trainer-raised Pokemon are stronger than wild ones, but in Red and Blue every single Elite Four Pokemon acts as though it was just caught in the wild at that level.

Stat XP wasn't worth 256 times the value of EVs in later games. The formula for points added to a stat by Stat XP was √{Stat XP}/4, rounded down, which maxed out at 63.

Every trainer in every game (outside of the Battle Tower equivalents) has had no EVs; all their Pokémon are effectively wild-caught.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I'm not really good with Pokemon. What, if Zapdos faints, would be the pokemon that can defeat Gary?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Well this is my stop. Don't beat the game while I'm gone (next 24 hours).

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So in Pokemon, free-range is objectively worse?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

toanoradian posted:

I'm not really good with Pokemon. What, if Zapdos faints, would be the pokemon that can defeat Gary?

Any of them really, with a little luck. Although Venomoth and Lapras definitely have the worst odds, due to garbage movesets and low levels.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.
If Zapdos were to beat Bruno's last Pokemon with Take Down, and then die from recoil, what would happen?

Rhycool
Jul 15, 2012

toanoradian posted:

DUX.

Leering infinitely.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Dark Grapefruit posted:

If Zapdos were to beat Bruno's last Pokemon with Take Down, and then die from recoil, what would happen?

We lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Zoran posted:

Stat XP wasn't worth 256 times the value of EVs in later games. The formula for points added to a stat by Stat XP was √{Stat XP}/4, rounded down, which maxed out at 63.

OK, I was wrong about StatXP, but I guess the maximum value is the same for StatXP and EVs.

quote:

Every trainer in every game (outside of the Battle Tower equivalents) has had no EVs; all their Pokémon are effectively wild-caught.

That's almost true, except for movesets. I had no idea the later games kept up the no EVs for trainers though, I thought modern systems could handle that.

toanoradian posted:

Hypothetically, Bird Jesus or Omastar would be up to the task.

• Locked thread