Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kly
Aug 8, 2003

I just got this from Steam and it's crashing pretty often going through menus. Is this normal or a known issue? It's pretty annoying, all my runs have ended from crashing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
It's here! I am an achievement junkie so I'm going to be starting from scratch, but I will miss having my Vault full of junk. Anyone know if the map generation is the same? I might want to go run some of my cleared ones if they still have their location spawns.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

gently caress

gently caress

This game is amazing.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The stuff you see in this game can be the most depressing things you see in games for simple sprites. The replays made me feel terrible when everyone is being so nice to you and then scroll offscreen.

ghost sex
May 19, 2013

Kly posted:

I just got this from Steam and it's crashing pretty often going through menus. Is this normal or a known issue? It's pretty annoying, all my runs have ended from crashing.

This is happening to me, too. The previous version on Playism was relatively stable compared to this one.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The multiverse campaign has a holy shrine a spitting distance from the starting castle and it's really great.

JEBOman
Dec 27, 2009
To those who are having crashes, turning off steam overlay and setting the game to run as administrator fixed it for me.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh

Hey, you can move on diagonals.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Look ahead. There might be monsters in the way to several spaces of mountain and then there is another mountain that might have another monster on either side, whittling her down further.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Gonna take me a while to top that.

MorphineMike
Nov 4, 2010
Does anyone know how to deal with the constant crashes? I've yet to play more than 5 minutes before the game dies.

Edit: to clarify, the no overlay and run as admin didn't work

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Did the game get a bad patch or something? I played it yesterday right when it came out for an hour without a single crash and now it crashes every 5 minutes.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

I turned off the steam overlay and got a crash almost right away starting a new run. Haven't had a crash since then though and got 3 full runs in, the only difference is that I stopped using the random dimension option and started doing the "Manually Input Dimension" thing.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Holy poo poo, Pirate is the best loving class. Why didn't I unlock this first?

Unfortunately, I'm starting to get crashing issues too. Hope they patch it soon.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Pirate gets lonely and pay inflated prices. I am partial to Swordmaster. I imagine they do the Colossus special attack from the X-Men arcade, with that AoE.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I actually found a Dark Brotherhood license in a red chest :henget:

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Holy crap I just bought this for $1.99 and I think I'm going to toss them $10 or something. It's so charming and stat-filled and I think I just found my new jam. :woop:

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

:black101:

Goddamn, this game is amazing. Easily the best 2 bucks I've ever spent.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I played this for a bit but never really touched the harder difficulties. I might have to go ahead and take the plunge and test the waters with the mighty naked Hero Pro-Wrestler loadout :black101:

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

i bought this game from the playism site on dec 1st 2013 and now I cant seem to find any records of me having an account to log into for the steam key. I just have a paypal transaction email. Bah. Guess il just buy it again, it is worth the money

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

LeninVS posted:

it is worth the money

about four to five times over imo

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

Pirate gets lonely and pay inflated prices.

Not if you stack some Charisma perks. Pirates actually have -2 levels of charisma, so stacking 2 perks of charisma will return them to level 0. I did the daily challenge involving partying with the king, and I stacked 4 perks of charisma (enough for 2 levels of positive charisma) which was enough for him to join me. Last perk was strength, so between the Pirate's default stats, the king's magic, and a holy axe I found, the Demon Lord went down before reinforcements could even arrive.

I love this game.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I was skeptical of this game but the previews and screenshots barely clue you in to how this game plays.

Got two Seals on a hunter run and got a super OP bow that let me make quick work of the boss before his barriers even came down. I was doing ~200 damage each hit.

This game is amazing.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Lance Streetman posted:

Not if you stack some Charisma perks.

That's maybe the most horrible thing I have ever heard.

The right way to play pirates is to murder friendly npcs all day as soon as you think you can fight guards, unless you know a Dark Brotherhood is coming up early whereupon you hold off on the murder until get the wl bonus and then start killing everybody, beginning with the exotic goods merchant in the Brotherhood.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
Downloaded this last night and got my first completion as a Knight, but now when I try to play it just crashes all the time.

Sadness.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

This is a fun game. It also dropped a foil card that I sold for more than what I bought it for, so even if it was terrible I would be happy.

What is the point of the pro-wrestling perk? Just kind of irritating having to switch to a weapon to break open/break through stuff.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Pro Wrestling removes the need for weapons. You combo often and works best with Swordmaster. It is amazing and low maintenance.

http://onewayheroics.wikia.com/wiki/One_Way_Heroics_Wiki
Here is an information gathering site.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Bruteman posted:

What is the point of the pro-wrestling perk? Just kind of irritating having to switch to a weapon to break open/break through stuff.

As far as I can tell weapons have a hidden destruction stat that lets you penetrate a target's armor, of which the only walls, cell doors, treasure, every skeleton, and golems have a significant amount of. Axes have a really high destruction stat whole fist have none probably, as such punching a Phantom Knight or brick wall will be awful and probably get you killed. Pro wrestling is cool and almost any class can macho man the demon lord if you grind enough, but the the only class that can get away with never using a weapon is Hero thanks to their passive crit, combo bonus, and also the Zenura damage boost.

On the other hand I always take max pro wrestling as an adventurer or bard on a no-vault run just because daggers are so awful.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
So how DO you kill friendly npcs? I've beaten the demon lord twice now and the game keeps congratulating me for not killing any friendly npcs but I'm not quite sure how to actually do that because the attack button just talks to them.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
So, I've been busy chasing the achievement for Maniac Inhumane Odyssey instead of trying to figure out the new ending. I'm not sure if you get the new text every time you beat the Demon Lord, or if there are other conditions, but I got a blurb in the ending text which may or may not be helpful. I'm pretty sure it's new--I've done Inhumane Odyssey on Maniac before the steam patch dropped, and I don't remember the text. Also it's pretty blatant ending bait, similar to what you get for doing the End of the World.

EDIT: there's no achievement for maniac inhumane odyssey, it's sufficient to just not withdraw anything from the dimensional vault. :doh:

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 3, 2014

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Tyskil posted:

So how DO you kill friendly npcs? I've beaten the demon lord twice now and the game keeps congratulating me for not killing any friendly npcs but I'm not quite sure how to actually do that because the attack button just talks to them.

Use an ability attack (most melee classes have bash) or a ranged attack (throw garbage at them).

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Devour or Fire posted:

As far as I can tell weapons have a hidden destruction stat that lets you penetrate a target's armor, of which the only walls, cell doors, treasure, every skeleton, and golems have a significant amount of. Axes have a really high destruction stat whole fist have none probably, as such punching a Phantom Knight or brick wall will be awful and probably get you killed. Pro wrestling is cool and almost any class can macho man the demon lord if you grind enough, but the the only class that can get away with never using a weapon is Hero thanks to their passive crit, combo bonus, and also the Zenura damage boost.

On the other hand I always take max pro wrestling as an adventurer or bard on a no-vault run just because daggers are so awful.
Swordmaster is great because of the high combo chance, which can hit eight or so times before Steam. You get a bit of strength upgrades and crit chances, and you are now doing more than 1000 after playing for an hour. The crits make wall busting and armored guys easy to handle.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Scalding Coffee posted:

Pro Wrestling removes the need for weapons. You combo often and works best with Swordmaster. It is amazing and low maintenance.

http://onewayheroics.wikia.com/wiki/One_Way_Heroics_Wiki
Here is an information gathering site.
So what are some strategies other than punching things to death which has been my only win? Should I be saving really good equipment(I got that Elven sword and 1 Darklord cape in my vault) to eventually power it up or should I just accept it will eventually be destroyed and I need to get as much use out of it as I can? Is it worth it to play a force user without force items when you're still incredibly new to the game? How much charisma do you need to gather NPC followers? Is it better to stay a high level or should I just spend my levels early on critical chance if I'm a weapon user?

tldr All of you SSS level pros what are some things you wish you had known starting out?

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
-Try to pick up and hold onto either a teleport pill, confusion scroll, or tentacle weed (ordered of utility) between Demon Lord encounters, since any one will nearly guarantee your survival.

-Always try to have a shield, even a leather shield will decide if a melee character is a squishy poo poo or brick shithouse.

-When the demon summoning event thing happens, the biggest badass it dumps on you are the Phantom Knights (the caped skeletons). They will murder you even if you're geared for the Demon lord. Their weakness is that they have an extremely low sight range of like 2-3 panels, so give them a wide berth.

-Stacking agility in very powerful in non-maniac mode.

-For hunter always pick 5 strength perks, since your best asset is your unique Piecing Shot attack skill and strength will increase the damage and also give bonus stamina to use it. Also bows are heavy and you could use a holdout melee weapon so more weight is good.

-For companions, the queen needs 1 charm but is always in a dungeon with dragon knights or minotaurs depending on how far you are, the healer needs 1 charm and a Nayuta fruit, the merc needs 1 charm and also you have to pay him to join + a daily fee, and the king needs 2 charm. The knight needs something special before you can even talk to him.

-The only thing you lose from spending levels at shrines is hero points from your level score after the run.

-Basic force user skeleton plan is get to level 10, learn lightning, get to level 20, learn force blast, blow your awakenings nuking the Demon Lord. Starting with the +1 meditation staff makes everything gravy but it's ok to start with the class and its basic staff since if you like it, they can handle maniac runs pretty good.

-Don't get attached to your weapons, maybe keep around your favorite weapon and armor in your vault to dump high enchant scrolls on and save repair scrolls for them.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
One guy mentioned: For +8 weapons, apply Scroll of Jerryrigging, then apply another modifier. You now have a fully repaired weapon with no drawbacks.

Strength applies to thrown items and you can buy tons of arrows for cheap. You can farm Jades if you are bored.

I had a Demon Lord coat last a 2000KM run with all the low durability buffs.

Frieda has an awesome accessory as reward for seeing her ending.

Always get Phalanx.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 3, 2014

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
It's basically possible to keep a piece of armor around forever, if you dump enchantment scrolls on it until you get multiple stacks of the adamantium property (which reduces durability loss by 75 or 50 percent).

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Scalding Coffee posted:

One guy mentioned: For +8 weapons, apply Scroll of Jerryrigging, then apply another modifier. You now have a fully repaired weapon with no drawbacks.

Enchants after +9 randomly replace an old one besides the first one.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
So a cool thing that happened is I actually managed to beat the demon lord on my second ever attempt playing the game, and then the game froze and crashed at the story screen following the battle. I can restore one of my saves near the end but I probably won't get that lucky again. At least it saved my achievements :sigh:

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Gah. I hit a 'thinks you're still holding a key down after resuming from the "loading additional parts of the map" message' bug and got stuck going left into the waiting Darkness.

Really hate that bug. Still, not going to stop me from starting another run.

Korak posted:

So what are some strategies other than punching things to death which has been my only win? Should I be saving really good equipment(I got that Elven sword and 1 Darklord cape in my vault) to eventually power it up or should I just accept it will eventually be destroyed and I need to get as much use out of it as I can? Is it worth it to play a force user without force items when you're still incredibly new to the game? How much charisma do you need to gather NPC followers? Is it better to stay a high level or should I just spend my levels early on critical chance if I'm a weapon user?

tldr All of you SSS level pros what are some things you wish you had known starting out?

In my experience, you don't need to save up good equipment. Using a piece of equipment to survive fighting through dungeons to get money to buy a new weapon, or smashing open Extravagant Chests usually finds a replacement for that weapon by the time you are worried about it breaking. Although, the weapons you need for the secret ending aren't the same level of replaceable.

On the subject of weapons and punching things to death, walls are hard to break with your fists. If you have only one weapon left, preserving it by switching to fisticuffs is good because being able to break walls and open up your movement is really important.

Teleport Pills are the greatest. Trapped by mountains? Teleport. Trapped by a strong monster? Teleport that monster by throwing it at them. NPC blocking the door? TELEPORT. (Okay, the last one doesn't usually happen unless you're trying to mess with specific npcs)

Force Users are high-risk high-reward, and I'd only recommend them to newbies who enjoy being on the brink of death constantly and managing their food/energy consumption.

Yes, throw your Wooden Arrows by hand. Big Rocks are heavy, Arrows are not. Also, explosives aren't worth the trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I always like going on naked Hero runs, using Zenora Weave ASAP and then just cruising around with no need for armor or weapons, max stacked Pro Wrestler all the way.

e: Just wasted the Demon Lord on Hard (Grueling Campaign) the moment he showed up. So good.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Mar 3, 2014

• Locked thread