Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i have a bunch of rtlsdr gear kicking around here from a project last year, think i'll get it set back up after this cool thread

there wasn't a whole lot to listen to last time i checked the uk airwaves. just air traffic control and watching plane transponders. ships never worked here for some reasons, i blame the terrible software

buy an upconverter, check out the HF side. there's lots of SSB there so SDR is nice, and plenty ham/digital/whatever stuff to tune in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
I really really hate tuning SSB with SDR software, maybe I should buy one of those glowy hockey puck things

http://utaharc.org/rptr/synchronous_62.html this is one of the cooler repeater projects I've seen, two repeaters at two sites on the same frequency, with a very slight frequency offset and a duplex link + voting circuit they implemented a repeater system with diversity receive and transmit to normal radios

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Sniep posted:

this is the HT antenna that i use on my FT-60R

Is that a Smiley? I had a Smiley tri-band which I think they later renamed to dual-band because it was bad at 222mhz or w/e, but it went missing somewhere :(

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

atomicthumbs posted:

Is that a Smiley? I had a Smiley tri-band which I think they later renamed to dual-band because it was bad at 222mhz or w/e, but it went missing somewhere :(

yes, i got it in a HRO or something in san diego

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Building that Lindenblad now, PVC shavings and solder blobs are everywhere

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

i know its been said that rc planes and ham isnt a good mix, but is that more a control issue? what if a normal rc radio was used for flying and the ham radio was used for telemetry/video/other comms but no actual stick and rudder controls?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

maniacdevnull posted:

i know its been said that rc planes and ham isnt a good mix, but is that more a control issue? what if a normal rc radio was used for flying and the ham radio was used for telemetry/video/other comms but no actual stick and rudder controls?

p sure it's all ok as long as ur not violating FAA regs.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
so this is only tangentally related but how hard is it to wire up a second batt (marine deep cycle) so that i can run a radio or other accessories (either separately from vehicle electronics like cd player or w/ them?) im assuming u can't/shouldn't crank off of a deep cycle batt but i want the alternator to charge it at least obvs. on the suburban apparently batt install itself is super ez cause theres a factory location for second batt so im not worried about that aspect. would i be better off letting my shadetree mechanic guy do this when he fixes my AC compressor?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
beware the dark side of ham radio, though, like these guys who casually imply you should feel bad if you dont SIGN OVER YOUR HOUSE AND ASSETS IN YOUR WILL TO THEM WHEN YOU DIE INSTEAD OF YOUR FAMILY

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i think that's more for childless old folk who would be leaving their property to the state otherwise

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

newington is really cumbersone to say
try it out

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
window shopping - an Icom R9000 receiver has gone on ebay, it is not the best receiver ever made, but it is up there, and I have wanted to own one for twenty years.

cool thing about this listing is that the seller obviously knows this radio inside and out http://www.ebay.com/itm/Icom-IC-R90...S:B:SHOP:US:101

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
"wahh everythings going digital" so what? go digital.

ISS is going to fire up a DTV transmitter and if you're set up for it you'll be able to get high res video from it:

quote:

Ham Video Commissioning now scheduled

The Ham Video transmitter, which is stored in the Columbus module of
the International Space Station, will be installed March 6, 2014. The
transmitter will be powered on briefly, just the time needed to check
that the connection cables to the antenna, to the power supply and to
the camera are installed properly. All control LEDs nominal, the
transmitter will be considered ready for Commissioning and will be
unpowered.

The first Commissioning step is planned March 8. Michael S. Hopkins
KF5LJG will power on the Ham Video transmitter in configuration 1:
ARISS antenna 41 Frequency 2.422 GHz Symbol rate 1.3 Ms/s The
transmission will start shortly before the pass of the ISS over the
Matera ground station in south Italy at approximately 13.29 UTC.

The ground station will stream the video over the BATC server
http://www.batc.tv/ .Please select Member Streams and ISS.
During the pass, different configurations will be tested with ARISS
antenna 41.

After the pass, the Ham Video transmitter will stay powered on in
configuration 1 till the following Commissioning step, which is
planned Sunday March 9, 2014 at approximately 12.40 UTC.

For about 24 hours, the DATV signal will be transmitted permanently,
but the camera will be powered off. The reason is, that the camera is
battery powered and no provisions are made for frequent battery
replacement. This mode is called "blank" transmission.

During Commissioning step 2, different configurations will again be
tested, this time with ARISS antenna 43. The Matera ground station
will stream the video over the BATC server.

Possibly, blank transmissions will occur in the period between
Commissioning step 2 and the following step, which is not yet
planned.
We will circulate Ham TV Bulletins to inform on blank transmissions.

Reports on reception of blank transmissions are very welcome.
Reports can be filed via this webpage:
http://www.spaceflightsoftware.com/ARISS_FSTV/submit.php
http://www.spaceflightsoftware.com/ARISS_FSTV/submit.php
Participants using the Tutioune receiving software, developed by
Jean Pierre Courjaud F6DZP, can record as well as stream detailed
parameters of the received signal. Please see:
http://www.vivadatv.org/ http://www.vivadatv.org/
Thank you for your participation

[ANS thanks Gaston ON4WF, Stefan VE4NSA and HamTV Bulletin #7 the
above information]

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Jonny 290 posted:

"wahh everythings going digital" so what? go digital.

ISS is going to fire up a DTV transmitter and if you're set up for it you'll be able to get high res video from it:

"wahhh the same bands now hold far more content while also reducing the cost to enter my hobby"
"wahhh i liked electromagnetic waves before it was cool"

also that looks rad as hell, as a total newcomer what would be the minimum gear i'd need to pick that up?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Honestly i'm not sure and I didn't know hams were tinkering with DTV (we have a long long history of analog TV operation, there are even repeaters)

intrigued now, good thing to study for an icy sunday where I CAN'T GO OUT AND PLAY WITH THE NEW ANTENNA I BUILT YESTERDAY

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

the most dangerous philosopher in the west
College Slice
have any of you ever heard numbers stations? that whole thing fascinates the gently caress out of me enough to consider buying some radio stuff.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

nope, never.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Verdafolio posted:

have any of you ever heard numbers stations? that whole thing fascinates the gently caress out of me enough to consider buying some radio stuff.
i've heard stations that broadcast a test message constantly, never number stations though

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

number stations are neat + one of the things i would want to try and listen to if i did radio things

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

the most dangerous philosopher in the west
College Slice
found a web based sdr: http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/ if anyone wants to play around with the air around the netherlands

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Verdafolio posted:

found a web based sdr: http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/ if anyone wants to play around with the air around the netherlands

i posted that poo poo on like page 2 son

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i've heard numbers stations a few times, mostly in spanish. poo poo's mildly creepy late at night

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Honestly they're kind of a neat curiosity to me but I don't sperg out on them like the guys that make the recordings and stuff, as it's generally accepted that they're likely using OTP's and it's prob unbreakable

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
when I read up on them I noticed that most western nations have stopped using them in the last decade, but the russians and other east block countries seem to still operate them

presumably the more technologically sophisticated spy agencies have switched to horse ebook twitters and other more advanced communication methods, which makes sense since these days having short wave radios is pretty rare compared to 30 years ago

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

Honestly they're kind of a neat curiosity to me but I don't sperg out on them like the guys that make the recordings and stuff, as it's generally accepted that they're likely using OTP's and it's prob unbreakable

i would think triangulating their location would be the ham equivalent of geocaching.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
but, you know, interesting

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

longview posted:

when I read up on them I noticed that most western nations have stopped using them in the last decade, but the russians and other east block countries seem to still operate them

presumably the more technologically sophisticated spy agencies have switched to horse ebook twitters and other more advanced communication methods, which makes sense since these days having short wave radios is pretty rare compared to 30 years ago

steganography cat pictures

That tabby you reposted once?
assassination orders. :3:

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

you triangulate it and it's probably just some antennas out in a field and a little shack you can't get to

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

you triangulate it and it's probably just some antennas out in a field and a little shack you can't get to

They have done, usually they're in some RAF facility in Cyprus or the Ukraine

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
test day is today. i woke up w/ stomach pain, took a dump and then threw up. took a promethazine and passed out for like 6 hours. test is in like 3 hours and i'm def not rdy for general exam ugh. and wife is mad cause daycare is closed (loving the south + snow) so she's wfh and watching babby while i slept all day cause promethazine. ugh. gently caress me. at least babby is still napping

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it was pissing down freezing rain when i got my general/extra, bad weather is a guarantee of success when taking license tests or erecting antennas*

*it is a proven law of nature that the shittier the weather when you put your antenna up, the better it works

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

what is the legality of using 433mhz bands (e: in the us)? theres a ton of dirt cheap parts on DX that work with microcontrollers. they seem like they've have very low power but if it will piss off some greybeard in my town then i either wont do that or will do it even harder and smuggier than before

ex: http://dx.com/p/433mhz-rf-transmitter-module-receiver-module-link-kit-for-arduino-arm-mcu-wl-green-220194#.UxTwwMso6Ai

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

its one of the ISM bands so go hog wild below some power level

oh jk thats just in region 1 apparently america is region 2 lolol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

maniacdevnull posted:

what is the legality of using 433mhz bands (e: in the us)? theres a ton of dirt cheap parts on DX that work with microcontrollers. they seem like they've have very low power but if it will piss off some greybeard in my town then i either wont do that or will do it even harder and smuggier than before

ex: http://dx.com/p/433mhz-rf-transmitter-module-receiver-module-link-kit-for-arduino-arm-mcu-wl-green-220194#.UxTwwMso6Ai

the 433mhz subband is also an allocation and these things are 100% legal. actually almost all of the 70cm band is secondary allocation, iirc. maybe its just big chunks of it, forget for sure

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
passed tech and general :woop: :toot:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

toot

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

PuTTY riot posted:

passed tech and general :woop: :toot:

grats

that was my day 1, too. the general is just like tech::extended anyway imho, if you can learn/cram tech you can put in another 10% of the effort including the general question set.

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

shame on a kitty who try to run game on a kitty

wu buck wild wit tha trigga

hell yeah bro

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Sniep posted:

grats

that was my day 1, too. the general is just like tech::extended anyway imho, if you can learn/cram tech you can put in another 10% of the effort including the general question set.

this is true

why did this thread get voted down from 5?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
also my china boat SDR dongles get here today.

• Locked thread