Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

goodness posted:

Can anyone recommend a game I could play with 2 friends (3 people total)? Something not Civ, Dota, Starcraft, TF2.

Looking for some kind of strategy game most likely, but a 3-4 player coop rpg could also work.
Local or Online coop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Cardboard Box A posted:

Local or Online coop?

It will probably be through tunngle whatever it is.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

goodness posted:

Can anyone recommend a game I could play with 2 friends (3 people total)? Something not Civ, Dota, Starcraft, TF2.

Looking for some kind of strategy game most likely, but a 3-4 player coop rpg could also work.

Terraria. Diablo 2 or 3. Anno 2070, but it's only as interactive as you kind of force it to be. Magicka if you are looking for something kind of light and goofy.

Vectorwulf
May 5, 2010
If Action RPGs are ok, I've had a surprising amount of fun with Marvel Heroes, and since the recent patch can definitely second Diablo 3. Starbound is also pretty amazing, if you want another game like Terraria (endless exploration and building).

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

goodness posted:

It will probably be through tunngle whatever it is.

Company of Heroes (never played the second one but the first one is great fun)

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So I want to try overclocking to get an emulated game running just a bit better. Issue is I've never done it before, and I'm not even sure I should with my system.

I've currently got a i5-3570k set to the default of 3.4GHZ, and it's on a ASUS P8Z77-V LX LGA. I've got a 650W PSU, but have no idea how much my system is actually using up. Thing is I don't own any additional cooling systems in place outside of the default mobo/psu fans.

According to CPUID all 4 cores on my I5 are around 30-40c, and the hottest thing in my system is my video card at 45c. According to a friend of mine I should be able to overclock that just fine without any additional cooling, as long as I don't go crazy. Thing is he's a bit of a flake, and I'd rather check with goons before I potentially fry my PC.

Should I not even bother? Should I just go buy a better GPU? Curious how much leeway you have with overclocking, and how exactly one can tell how much their system can handle.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Rookersh posted:

So I want to try overclocking to get an emulated game running just a bit better. Issue is I've never done it before, and I'm not even sure I should with my system.

I've currently got a i5-3570k set to the default of 3.4GHZ, and it's on a ASUS P8Z77-V LX LGA. I've got a 650W PSU, but have no idea how much my system is actually using up. Thing is I don't own any additional cooling systems in place outside of the default mobo/psu fans.

According to CPUID all 4 cores on my I5 are around 30-40c, and the hottest thing in my system is my video card at 45c. According to a friend of mine I should be able to overclock that just fine without any additional cooling, as long as I don't go crazy. Thing is he's a bit of a flake, and I'd rather check with goons before I potentially fry my PC.

Should I not even bother? Should I just go buy a better GPU? Curious how much leeway you have with overclocking, and how exactly one can tell how much their system can handle.

What are you trying to play? The 3570k is a beast and can still hold it's own on even brand new games so that probably isn't your issues. That said some people have been able to push 4ghz on their stock coolers and more on an aftermarket one.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Rookersh posted:

I've got a 650W PSU, but have no idea how much my system is actually using up. Thing is I don't own any additional cooling systems in place outside of the default mobo/psu fans.

650W PSU - unless you have 2 video cards, you have PLENTY of overhead.

30-40c at idle? Google Prime95 and run that to see how hot you'll get when the thing is cranking. To overclock enough to make much of a difference in what you're running, you'll need better cooling. The Hyper 212 Evo is a great cooler for ~$30 in that case.

What's your current GPU?

What emulators and games ain't running great for ya?

OC leeway depends on a lot of stuff. The only i5 I've OC'd is a 2500k, but some quick googling says you'd probably hit around 4.3ghz. From my 2500k OCing, I got very noticeable performance improvements..but only in a handful of things, like Crysis 1 and emulating Zone of the Enders 2 for PS2.

OC thread is here with a great info loaded OP.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Is the 3470 that much below a 3570? I have that and a 660gtx.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Rookersh posted:

You didn't say what GPU you have but I'm willing to bet with a 650W PSU and only one graphics card you've got at least 100W overhead. (If you have a mid-range card like a 760, probably more.)

My gaming desktop is a couple years old now.. it has an i5-2500K and a non-stock cooling fan, but I've been able to push it from 3.3GHz to 4.2GHz without any hassle. I could probably go higher if I really put some effort into it.

Like Lblitzer said you could probably push it to 4GHz without replacing the cooling fan.

Edgy Bees
Sep 9, 2013
I've always used a PSU calculator to help when deciding. Although I'd say you don't want anything too over sized, it isn't a bad idea to get a bit more than you need to compensate for capacitor aging down the road.

Also, I'm sure there are many good brands out there, keep in mind that not all watts are created equal.

& someone please correct me if this recommendation is incorrect.. but I'm a huge fan of Seasonic. Although it is ~$150, the Seasonic SS-660XP2 would probably be the "best" you can find in the 600 watt range. I personally own the 800 something watt version of the platinum and it is very quiet, very cool, and just plain works. Absolutely no complaints. And for the record, the average power draw on my computer under load is ~580W according the the UPS socket it's plugged into.

UntunedGuitar47
Nov 21, 2008
Has anyone got a Corsair Hydro series CPU cooler, or good/bad experiences with one? I sort of ordered a H100i on a whim yesterday for a decent price and now i read stuff about leakages and pumps bursting and scary stuff like that and am sort of anxious about mounting the cooler in my computer. I know it will probably be fine, and cool, and quiet and all that. But i just wan't to hear if there are any Goon-Horror-Stories™ about those kind of CPU-Coolers.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I have a H60 and it is great.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

UntunedGuitar47 posted:

Has anyone got a Corsair Hydro series CPU cooler, or good/bad experiences with one? I sort of ordered a H100i on a whim yesterday for a decent price and now i read stuff about leakages and pumps bursting and scary stuff like that and am sort of anxious about mounting the cooler in my computer. I know it will probably be fine, and cool, and quiet and all that. But i just wan't to hear if there are any Goon-Horror-Stories™ about those kind of CPU-Coolers.

The stock fans are pretty bad and scale up to what I would call annoyingly high noise levels at max speed, but you can remedy that by setting a different fan profile or getting different fans (Gentle Typhoons if you want the best)

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What are some good games I can play with a M/KB and my Girlfriend can play with my X360 controller? (On my laptop for a car ride.)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I've got a 560ti and am eyeing the 750ti as a good cheap upgrade, since I've been wanting to mess around with the Shadowplay stuff and I'm starting to struggle a little bit on games like Assassin's Creed 4 and Far Cry: Blood Dragon. My PC is pretty beefy though, so I'm thinking I should wait for a beefier card on the same new architecture or even a different 7xx series because I'm mistaken on the differences. What's the smart thing to do?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

flatluigi posted:

I've got a 560ti and am eyeing the 750ti as a good cheap upgrade, since I've been wanting to mess around with the Shadowplay stuff and I'm starting to struggle a little bit on games like Assassin's Creed 4 and Far Cry: Blood Dragon. My PC is pretty beefy though, so I'm thinking I should wait for a beefier card on the same new architecture or even a different 7xx series because I'm mistaken on the differences. What's the smart thing to do?

If you can I'd wait a few months until the 800-series comes out, since that's going to be the first major release of nVidia's new Maxwell architecture, which is supposed to be a significant difference from the current models.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

macnbc posted:

If you can I'd wait a few months until the 800-series comes out, since that's going to be the first major release of nVidia's new Maxwell architecture, which is supposed to be a significant difference from the current models.

I'm reading nothing but good things about the 750ti, isn't that considered a major release? I've got a 7790 right now and unless I want to upgrade my power supply that may be the route I go as well.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Turtlicious posted:

What are some good games I can play with a M/KB and my Girlfriend can play with my X360 controller? (On my laptop for a car ride.)

To be clear, you want non-visually-intensive co-op games that support one player on a keyboard and one on a controller, right?

Guacamelee! springs to mind.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

You can rig Left 4 dead up to play split screen. It works pretty well if you have two monitors.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Lblitzer posted:

I'm reading nothing but good things about the 750ti, isn't that considered a major release? I've got a 7790 right now and unless I want to upgrade my power supply that may be the route I go as well.

Yeah it's pretty good but it's meant to be a budget card for low-powered PCs - which means that waiting for a bigger release and beefier card with the same architecture might be worth saving the money for, if your PC is otherwise really high-powered.

If only the 750ti supported SLI...

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

I'm in a similar situation - on a 5870 (similar to a 560ti), and I'm starting to have to turn settings down some for a few things. From what I've seen the 750ti wouldn't be much of an upgrade as it's the low energy low horsepower new release. Pretending to buy a GPU in my head, the 760 is the lowest I'd go and probably what I'd get to feel like it'd be worth an upgrade from my 5870. I can't justify getting a new card yet though - Titanfall and Dark Souls 2 will run fine and be most of my gaming for a while, and there are barely any games I'm really dissatisfied with how they look and run. I can't bring myself to spend $260 to get a small handful of games to look better than they do on my 3-4 year old $180 card.

I'm going to try and hold off till Christmas. By then the Rift will be out or close to it, the new Nvidia lines will be cranking out, "next gen" consoles should be shaping up meaning more demanding ports, and I can buy the latest card that'll max out games on the Rift in full pants making GBS threads nausea inducing glory.

Turtlicious posted:

Also check out Trine 2, Monaco, the Lego Batman/Marvel games, and RAYMAN LEGENDS. (Rayman Origins is effing great too, but a chunk of its content is in Legends. Personally, I think it's worth buying both!) I know Trine 2 does same screen MP one kb/m one controller. The rest definitely support same screen MP with controllers, I'd assume it'd be fine to do kb/m + a controller. Those are all games I got specifically to try and game with my wife, with Rayman far and away being what we've spent the most time and had the most fun with.

Cum Galleon
Oct 16, 2004

Your shipment has arrived.

UntunedGuitar47 posted:

I had an H55 and returned it. The stock fan was loud, and when I replaced it with a quieter fan all I could hear was this high-pitched squeal from the pump. The temps weren't any lower than using the intel oem cooler either. I'm not sure about the more expensive models, I think the H55 is the 'budget' version.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Turtlicious posted:

Octodad: Dadliest Catch. Each of you will be controlling your own set of limbs on one character.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I started playing Kingdoms of Amalur again and I'm actually having fun, am I a broken person? I did connect a controller, maybe that makes me less of a man, I dunno.

Anyway, I'm currently a level 5 rogue-ish elf person and I'm thinking of adding magic soon. This game really isn't THAT bad. Super generic, yes, but not super terrible.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

omg chael crash posted:

I started playing Kingdoms of Amalur again and I'm actually having fun, am I a broken person? I did connect a controller, maybe that makes me less of a man, I dunno.

Anyway, I'm currently a level 5 rogue-ish elf person and I'm thinking of adding magic soon. This game really isn't THAT bad. Super generic, yes, but not super terrible.

Once you start climbing in the levels, and especially if you use Blacksmithing or Sagecrafting (or both) the combat just becomes really easy even on hard. The problem with that is the game doesn't really have much to fall back on so I kinda got bored of it at that point.

I feel like the game had a lot of potential but really missed the mark it was aiming for.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Yeah, I read the before you play wiki and decided to skip this skills for that reason. I have it on hard now and it's already dead simple and I'm level 6. Still, it's scratching an itch right now.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

NinetySevenA posted:

You can rig Left 4 dead up to play split screen. It works pretty well if you have two monitors.

That certainly sounds like it'd work on a laptop for a car ride.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I've started playing GTA IV because I figured I should either finish or null it before GFWL shuts down in a few months.

I know it's a pretty bad/inefficient port but on an overpowered PC (4.6GHz Haswell i5 + SLI GTX 760) it runs well and looks surprisingly great.

I don't know how they handled textures in this game but it's one of the most lifelike games I can remember playing.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Parker Lewis posted:

I've started playing GTA IV because I figured I should either finish or null it before GFWL shuts down in a few months.

I know it's a pretty bad/inefficient port but on an overpowered PC (4.6GHz Haswell i5 + SLI GTX 760) it runs well and looks surprisingly great.

I don't know how they handled textures in this game but it's one of the most lifelike games I can remember playing.

Download a mod so you can have HD texture and play as Pimp Goofy

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

goodness posted:

Download a mod so you can have HD texture and play as Pimp Goofy ANYTHING

There, that's better.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

macnbc posted:

There, that's better.

That really has nothing on this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb5zPkPB4nU

Ice Goob

goodness fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 6, 2014

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

omg chael crash posted:

Yeah, I read the before you play wiki and decided to skip this skills for that reason. I have it on hard now and it's already dead simple and I'm level 6. Still, it's scratching an itch right now.

If found it great fun for a while but even switching specs every main area, the cheap resepecs are great and not much else to spend gold on, I got a bit burnt out with my options.

All 3 main specs were individually fun to play though which was good and felt different enough while still being able to kill things at a similar rate (meteor spell excepted, it's ridiculously OP).

You'll definitely get your money's worth out of it at least.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Lblitzer posted:

To be honest I upgraded from a 560 to a 760 and I wish I'd saved for at least a 770 or had the patience to wait for the 800 series. It's a really good card but there are upgrades (or soon to be) that will be a better option for you.

ZergFluid
Feb 20, 2014

by XyloJW
I recently bought an Asus 770. I upgraded from a 560 ti.

Verdict: The 770 is a significant improvement. I'm re-playing The Witcher 2 and boy is it*gorgeous.*

However, I most certainly could have kept using the 560ti for another year -- heck, perhaps another two years if I didn't buy any other games. Honestly, I could have waited. But I'm satisfied.

The 560ti lasted me from November 2011 to last month. Not bad.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

I'm still running with mine, got it a month before you I think. Still only played an hour or two of Arkhem City, though.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm still rocking a 560ti as well. I haven't seen a game pretty enough to make me want to upgrade, although I will probably do so anyways with the next round of GPUs.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I have a 660ti and I'm one of those people too dumb to really grasp the difference in power between GPUs until there is this huge jump or compatibility. For the longest time I used Radeon HD 4890's until they couldn't run 1080p games at reasonable FPS or run anything Dx11.

Gunuku
Sep 26, 2007

I'm a goddamn marvel of modern science.
Lipstick Apathy
As a core2duo and 280GTX owner, I'm just pleasantly surprised when any new title plays as well as it does. The long console cycle we're just now leaving has kept system requirements so very low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Gunuku posted:

As a core2duo and 280GTX owner, I'm just pleasantly surprised when any new title plays as well as it does. The long console cycle we're just now leaving has kept system requirements so very low.

Looks like you're finally coming to the end of the line on that front though, particularly since nVidia is moving your graphics card to End-of-life support status.

• Locked thread