Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Congrats! We'll have to meet up one day you are not slaving over a hot *insert here*. Just a shame you won't be here for Flower & Garden but hey, there's Food & Wine!! Did they tell you what park/attraction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

skipdogg posted:

Just because I'm a giant nerd

Thanks for that breakdown, interesting stuff there.

Back to WDW talk, they started taking days back from our spring break since we exceeded our snow days. So it looks like no family vacation in April.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

This popped up on my Google news today, what do locals think of it? Honestly it seems a lot like sour grapes. I don't get discounts going to Twins games, why should Florida locals get a single day discount?

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/opinion/os-disney-price-increase-beth-kassab-20140226,0,689849.column?page=1

Maybe I am just bored on a Friday...

Anyways customized by magic band now I am ready for my Easter vacation. I decided to stay at Wilderness Lodge after lots of back and forth, looking forward to it.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

demonR6 posted:

Congrats! We'll have to meet up one day you are not slaving over a hot *insert here*. Just a shame you won't be here for Flower & Garden but hey, there's Food & Wine!! Did they tell you what park/attraction?

No, that information is given when I check in. Right now I know my role (Attractions, which is what I was aiming for), and what they want to pay me (not spectacular, but also not a pay cut from my current part time job, so huzzah)

I dropped hints, and they dropped suggestions (they suggested possibly great movie ride, jungle cruise, as I mentioned. I hinted a Mansion or Tower of Terror. Hey, I've worked at a haunted house for seven Halloweens in a row. I can do that job)

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Congratulations!

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT
Jul 22, 2005

you can prob fix that with a little duct tape and a paper clip

*is MacGyver irl*
What is a reasonable age for a first visit to Disney? I recently became a parent back in December and my folks who live in FL are already hinting at future Disney trips. We visit them in Tampa about once a year so Orlando is very doable. To me it seems reasonable to maybe go for his third birthday, because do kids younger than that really get much out of it? My husband and I both enjoyed the parks but we're not superfans so I'm thinking wait until he's three? Any thoughts?

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Update: Got the job. Moving down in late may/early june. Goodbye arctic New England, hello lava hot Florida.

Congrats and LOL you gonna melt.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Nathilus posted:

Congrats and LOL you gonna melt.

It's all part of my new plan to lose weight. Work a ton in intense heat.

Now too bad Food and Wine falls smack in the middle of my program, because thats going to throw weight loss off by a bit.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

It's all part of my new plan to lose weight. Work a ton in intense heat.

Now too bad Food and Wine falls smack in the middle of my program, because thats going to throw weight loss off by a bit.

Great, since you will be up the road from me and want to work in intense heat and lose a ton of weight my lawnmower is always available to you.. as well as my yard. Twice weekly and you will be a svelte figure by the end of the summer. I typically drop 15 over the summer months just from that due to the heat. I come in drenched head to toe.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

demonR6 posted:

Great, since you will be up the road from me and want to work in intense heat and lose a ton of weight my lawnmower is always available to you.. as well as my yard. Twice weekly and you will be a svelte figure by the end of the summer. I typically drop 15 over the summer months just from that due to the heat. I come in drenched head to toe.

oh cool, when I am not using my cast member entrance pass to just hang out in Club Cool, I'll give you a shout.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT posted:

What is a reasonable age for a first visit to Disney? I recently became a parent back in December and my folks who live in FL are already hinting at future Disney trips. We visit them in Tampa about once a year so Orlando is very doable. To me it seems reasonable to maybe go for his third birthday, because do kids younger than that really get much out of it? My husband and I both enjoyed the parks but we're not superfans so I'm thinking wait until he's three? Any thoughts?

We took our son the first time when he was 3 and a half, he loved it even though it was sensory overload for him. Going for our 4th time with him next weekend (he's 6 now). Some of the dark rides scared him at first but now he loves pretty much everything. Be prepared to cry when he first sees the characters up close, the reactions are priceless.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Some kids are into the colors and the lights and everything early on, some just get freaked out by it. Your little one is super tiny and it's really hard to judge how he/she will develop. Grandma and grandpa sound great but maybe tell'em to hold their horses until you see how your kid responds to that kinda stuff in a couple years. 3 is pretty typical, 4 and 5 year olds can almost definitely handle it.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I think before a certain age, it's just noise to them, and they won't form any memories of it. Seeing little babies at Disney World is weird to me. I don't personally care, I am not the kind of person who thinks "Christ, who brings a CHILD here?" but I wonder how much fun anyone in their party is having because the baby is a handful, and really isn't getting anything out of Disney.

I think 3 is a fine age, because while it's still a bit of sensory overload, they can understand what it is, and how cool it is to be there, and thats when they begin to form good memories of family time.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Two months is the minimum age for us since that's after they get vaccinated a bit, but anything before about a year is just gonna be for the parents wanting to go to Disney anyway. One to two years is the age where they start having lots of fun there, but just keep in mind that they won't remember it long term.

Our almost three-year-old adores Disney World and there's plenty for her to do.

Basically, if it's super important for you to have your kid remember the trip, wait until after 3 years old. If you just want them to have a wonderful time in a magical fantasy world as part of their development, go earlier. Disney has things in place for all ages. I wouldn't break the bank to go earlier than 3, but your parents live in Florida so you'll be down here anyway.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Our first trip will be next March. My daughter will be turning 5 and my son will be about 39 months old. Should be about perfect for them

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
My wife and I just got back from a quick trip to Disney, stopping at Magic and Animal Kingdom to visit some friends from home who are in town. The only thing really notable about it was that Saturday at today were literally the worst crowds I've ever encountered over there outside of peak summer times. It took more than 20 minutes just to get through the gate to swipe our tickets at Animal Kingdom.

That said, however, we were bitten by the pin and Vinylmation trading bug. She saw one of the cast members with a bunch of interesting pins, and I mentioned (thanks to this thread, specifically) that you could trade for their pins and they had to take whatever you offered them. So I bought several cheap Herbie the Love Bug pins and gave them to my wife and told her to have fun. The wait times for every single ride were unbearable, so we just had fun walking around aimlessly and exploring other things we haven't spent much time with. Although at Downtown Disney, we were standing around talking to cast members, and they randomly just handed us really nice Hidden Mickey pins without trading, which was really nice.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Attention demonR6, they are doing another 24 hour Magic Kingdom party for Memorial Day weekend. Shouldn't be any fireworks after the usual time, but who the hell knows?

Also: Thats like four days after I arrive for the College Program. Which if I get a MK job means I'll be training during it. hahahahahahahahahaha uh oh.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Attention demonR6, they are doing another 24 hour Magic Kingdom party for Memorial Day weekend. Shouldn't be any fireworks after the usual time, but who the hell knows?

Also: Thats like four days after I arrive for the College Program. Which if I get a MK job means I'll be training during it. hahahahahahahahahaha uh oh.

By the way, congrats on landing the college program gig!

I'm planning on going to the 24-hour party. We were supposed to go last year, but I forget why that fell through. Aside from no additional fireworks, is there any special stuff they're doing, or is it as simple as the notion of potentially watching sunrise in the park?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Doronin posted:

By the way, congrats on landing the college program gig!

I'm planning on going to the 24-hour party. We were supposed to go last year, but I forget why that fell through. Aside from no additional fireworks, is there any special stuff they're doing, or is it as simple as the notion of potentially watching sunrise in the park?

This one is about #DisneySide and characters, so they are allowing people to dress up in costume. and they'll have events all throughout, sort of like they do at the holiday parties at MK.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Thanks for the heads up. We just blocked our calendars for it though we are already off for work but now we made sure we don't make plans to go out of town. But hey, if you are working and training we'll come and make it interesting.. Muahahahaha. >:)

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I found 3 a really hard age for handling Disney. The kids are easily overwhelmed, still need a nap, prone to crankiness, and pretty much just want to run. In 2012, we took our three kids to Disney and they were 5, 3, and 1. The 5 year old and the 1 year old were great. The 3 year old was a tiny little rear end in a top hat the entire time. We went back the next year when he was 4 and he was great. My vote is to either go before they're 3 or just skip year 3 altogether and then proceed to 4. Three is right out.

Cryosleep
Jun 6, 2003

Time's UP!
My daughter and I have the weekday passes, and the 24 hour Disney event is Friday/Sat. What would stop us from entering the park Friday and staying till close Sat? Do you think they kick you out? Technically, Sat is a "blackout day" for us.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Cryosleep posted:

My daughter and I have the weekday passes, and the 24 hour Disney event is Friday/Sat. What would stop us from entering the park Friday and staying till close Sat? Do you think they kick you out? Technically, Sat is a "blackout day" for us.

I think the event is technically on a Friday regardless of when it ends. At 6am on Saturday, the park will close for a few hours then re-open as usual, so I imagine you wouldn't be able to go back in after it re-opens.

Cryosleep
Jun 6, 2003

Time's UP!
Yay! I'll definitely be attending the all-nighter, then.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

This one is about #DisneySide and characters, so they are allowing people to dress up in costume. and they'll have events all throughout, sort of like they do at the holiday parties at MK.

Cool. I'm anxious to see, if in the absence of alcohol, I can stay up through all hours of the night till the sun comes up.

So in this thread, how many of us are planning to be there? 4 or so?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Doronin posted:

Cool. I'm anxious to see, if in the absence of alcohol, I can stay up through all hours of the night till the sun comes up.

So in this thread, how many of us are planning to be there? 4 or so?

I thought about it if I had the day off, as I'd have my CM badge at that point, but I found out they aren't allowing CMs into the park during that particular day, and I don't have a vested interest in paying 99 dollars to get in.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost
Anyone have any recommendations on the best way to get from Disney to Universal for a day-trip?

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I attended the first one, but now with two little kids, it would not be a great idea. I wish they started doing these back in 2008. Back then, I would have done the challenge of staying in the park for 24 hours straight.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

dshban posted:

Anyone have any recommendations on the best way to get from Disney to Universal for a day-trip?

There are a few shuttle companies that offer a specific Disney to Universal package. I'd google around, see what prices you can find. some will even do a package deal with the shuttle and the ticket to Universal.

Fromage D Enfer
Jan 20, 2007
Strawbrary!

dshban posted:

We used Viator for a quick day trip to Universal. They picked us up from Animal Kingdom Lodge and took us to Universal's gates and picked us up when we were done. It was very easy. http://www.viator.com/Orlando-tours/Transfers-and-Ground-Transport/d663-g15

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I have used Viator for clients in the past. They're reliable.

Cryosleep
Jun 6, 2003

Time's UP!
Well that sucks. :-( (sorry, didn't see a new page. I meant about not letting in cast members to the all night Disney thing.)

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Cryosleep posted:

Well that sucks. :-( (sorry, didn't see a new page. I meant about not letting in cast members to the all night Disney thing.)

I understand it. the park is going to fill to capacity at some point during that day, and they'd rather have that be full of paying guests rather than the cast members who aren't working at the time.

If I am not working on that day or training, I'll probably go to one of the other parks instead.

In related news, I realized I was going to have to fly in a little early because the morning of my first day has a specific check in time, and airlines apparently decided to not do anything earlier than 7am that particular day, so i am going to come in the day before. This lead to me researching a place to stay for a decent price, and hilariously enough, staying at Disney proved to be the cheaper option because i can use their free transportation system and not pay Mears some insane shuttle/cab fee.

So I am spending a night at Pop Century before I head to my CP.

Pieces
Jan 25, 2011
For Disneyland Paris... just want to follow up on my experience and to thank PkerUNO for all of the great recommendations!

PkerUNO posted:

Disneyland Park
  • Phantom Manor - Some say this is the best version of all the haunted houses, bar Mystic Manor in Hong Kong. The Wild West scenes seem to confuse people used to the American versions - you should know that in Paris, the storyline is that the owner of Phantom Manor also owned Big Thunder Mountain, and the Thunder Mesa village, before an earthquake wiped out half the inhabitants.
  • Big Thunder Mountain - Great fun even if you're used to the other versions, due to the fast tunnel sections at the start and end of the ride. Plus the water splash!
  • Pirates of the Caribbean - Again, different from what you're used to since the story is in a different (and my opinion, better) order. Also, this is still the classic version of the ride, with no Jack Sparrow.
  • Pretty much all of Fantasyland - the rides here are all very similar to the American parks, but it's a lovely place to walk through. Alice's Maze is fun, too.
  • Star Tours - Is the classic version of the ride, looking a bit worse for wear.
  • Captain EO - Now closed, forever.
  • Space Mountain Mission 2 - Every single other Space Mountain around the world is a kid's ride compared to this. There are inversions, there are fantastic effects but be warned it's a very rough ride. Try and insist you get on a train with a working soundtrack. And stay the gently caress away from the back of the train if you want to avoid whiplash.
  • Sleeping Beauty's Castle - Don't miss the stained glass windows on the upper level, before going through the glassware shop to see the pretties and then taking the back exit downstairs into the dragon's lair. Yes, there's a dragon underneath the castle. Don't wake it up.
  • If you have time, check out some of the walk-through attractions like Aladdin's Passage in Adventureland and the Nautilus Submarine in Discoveryland.

Do not miss Disney Dreams at 20:00 in front of the castle - I find the best viewing position is near the back of central plaza. You don't want to be too far forward since you'll want to have a good view of all the fountains. With any luck one or two people with Light'Ears will also be in front of you.

Like Zenithbliss said, it's good to have a plan of action FastPass-wise, and if you have data on your phone the smartphone app will give you waiting times once you're inside the park. There are also waiting time boards in both parks.

(we opted for the single park pass for Disneyland, so I cropped out the section on WD Studios from the above post)

We had a fantastic 1 day visit - it was mostly overcast, with some light rain in the morning so the weather wasn't the best, but the park was not busy and the longest we waited for any ride (Star Tours) was 20 minutes. We enjoyed almost all of the rides, but in particular Big Thunder Mountain and Peter Pan were two of our favorites. My girlfriend LOVES big thrill rides, but she found Space Mountain Mission 2 really rough and she banged her head around on the ride alot. The Aladin walkthrough was great, but we found the Nautilus one to be bland and lacking (even though I am a fan of the 8000 Leagues Under The Sea Novel). We spent about 9 hours at the park and just ate fast food rather than any actual sit down meal, but we loved every minute of our visit! Disney Dreams at closing time is definitely a 'must see'. We used fast passes for the busier rides (Toy Story, Big Thunder, etc) to help us make more efficient use of our time, but otherwise we mostly just wandered in a clockwise circle around the park and just took in the Disney experience!

PkerUNO
Dec 21, 2007

Ambitious but rubbish

Pieces posted:

We had a fantastic 1 day visit - it was mostly overcast, with some light rain in the morning so the weather wasn't the best, but the park was not busy and the longest we waited for any ride (Star Tours) was 20 minutes. We enjoyed almost all of the rides, but in particular Big Thunder Mountain and Peter Pan were two of our favorites. My girlfriend LOVES big thrill rides, but she found Space Mountain Mission 2 really rough and she banged her head around on the ride alot. The Aladin walkthrough was great, but we found the Nautilus one to be bland and lacking (even though I am a fan of the 8000 Leagues Under The Sea Novel). We spent about 9 hours at the park and just ate fast food rather than any actual sit down meal, but we loved every minute of our visit! Disney Dreams at closing time is definitely a 'must see'. We used fast passes for the busier rides (Toy Story, Big Thunder, etc) to help us make more efficient use of our time, but otherwise we mostly just wandered in a clockwise circle around the park and just took in the Disney experience!

So glad to hear you had a great time!

Yeah, Studios has the better thrill rides, but it's a pretty boring park. You definitely made the right choice, I think. Space Mountain Mission 2 is in dire need of new track, trains and harnesses! Sorry to hear you didn't think much of the Nautilus... I read they only recently refurbished the octopus attack, was that not working when you went?

I'll be in Disneyland myself next week, along with 4 friends. They run a promotion seemingly every winter and autumn where annual passport holders get to buy extra tickets for just €21 each! There are also rumours that there's going to be a brand new springtime festival starting soon. Still not had any official word from the park though. And they still haven't announced exactly when Ratatouille is opening - it's almost like they're afraid of people booking holidays in advance?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

If anyone's interested, they just ran a live stream of the new Festival of Fantasy parade. Look closely for Anna and Elsa on the back end of the Cinderella float. Also, FIRE BREATHING DRAGON!

http://www.wdwinfo.com/

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Huh, this was posted by Disney late last month, but I just got to the party. Here's the first on-board video from the Seven Dwarfs (not Dwarves) Mine Train:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX4REwQeDEY

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

That looks really fun!

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Man, flying in a day early to Orlando is giving me all sorts of ideas of what to do with my free time. I know for a fact I'll be getting a AP to Universal Studios, so I've considered taking a cab over there and hanging out until they close, but I've also considered Downtown Disney since I've never really explored it.

I really want to buy a ticket to go into Magic Kingdom, buuuut since I'll be getting my cast ID a few days later, that seems silly.

So many options. drat you Orlando.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Go hit Universal and get your AP in my opinion. Downtown Disney's under a lot of renovation as far as I've been told.