Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Doltos posted:

Did I miss that part? I thought he only had his fingers and toes removed and that the penis was the next thing to go if he acts up.

It's never explicitly stated, but it's implied quite a bit. I think at one point it's referred to as "the other body part that Ramsey took from him that Reek doesn't like to think about" [sic].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Fatkraken posted:

Sure, but it's 2000 slow rear end pages, which was originally meant to be one book until it ballooned, including a shitload of brand new POV's at least some of which the show is definitely going to cut or trim due to already having an exceedingly large cast and set of threads for a TV show. Seriously, last season we were chopping between about 5 different groups in Kings Landing (Tyrion, Margery, Olenna, Tywin, Littlefinger, Sansa, Varys and Shae in a wide variety of permutations), Brienne and Jaime's rape and amputation road trip, Jon Snow, Sam samming around, Theon's happy time torture festival, Dany and the Dragon brigade, Stannis and Davos' friendship funtime, Arya's murder tour, Robb and Cat's road to success, and Hodor Hodor Hodor. I make that NINE more or less independant storylines that rarely intersect, PLUS the Kings Landing stuff and various bits and pieces that tie into those main stories, like Yara's rescue mission setting out.

That is almost unfeasibly complicated already for mainstream TV, and there are very few that are dropped other than Robb and a few of the KL players due to deadness. Obviously there are some new factions that will definitely be introduced but they're just not going to bother with a lot of the secondary and sundry POV's that caused the page count to swell so much in feast and dance. Like several chapters of some princess getting pissed off in a tower because she made a bad call with a kidnapping which does VERY little to actually advance the plot. They're almost certainly going to try and keep that kind of meandering to a minimum and get to the point, like an editor should have made GRRM do in the first place.

Too exceedingly complicated for mainstream tv? The show is doing better than ever, possibly the highest rated show on television right now. And I disagree with the assertion that FFC and DWD are mostly boring filler. Every chapter has an important turn of events. Why would they want to rush through the story when it's making them so much money and it's not likely that they'll want to catch up to GRRM too soon.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 5, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Steve2911 posted:

HBO have never really stretched out their popular shows though. I can't think of any that lasted more than 6 seasons.

The Sopranos basically lasted seven, Curb Your Enthusiasm lasted for 8 and the only reason there wasn't a 9th was due to Larry David.

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...
This summer will be True Blood's seventh, and final, season.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

parque bynch posted:

This summer will be True Blood's seventh, and final, season.

And thank the Seven for that. But I'm sure if Alan Ball hadn't dropped out last season (or the season before?) and wanted to keep going, HBO would probably be OK with that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gianthogweed posted:

It's never explicitly stated, but it's implied quite a bit. I think at one point it's referred to as "the other body part that Ramsey took from him that Reek doesn't like to think about" [sic].

Very strongly implied. On Ramsay's wedding night to Jeyne he orders Theon to warm her up for him. Theon says that he can't, upon which Ramsay orders Theon to use his tongue.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Wasn't True Blood based off of a book but HBO went their own way with the concept? If that is the case there is certainly precedence if they need to expand/add to the story if GRRM doesn't finish.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Jedit posted:

Very strongly implied. On Ramsay's wedding night to Jeyne he orders Theon to warm her up for him. Theon says that he can't, upon which Ramsay orders Theon to use his tongue.

From memory Theon literally says "My lord, I can't, I have no.."

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

computer parts posted:

The Sopranos basically lasted seven, Curb Your Enthusiasm lasted for 8 and the only reason there wasn't a 9th was due to Larry David.

Curb probably isnt even over yet.

Its "ended" a few times but that basically just means Larry is takin a break until he gets an idea for a new season and calls up HBO

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Doltos posted:

Both.

I still think it was completely unnecessary to chop off his ding dong. Makes me think that it'll happen in the next book and GRRM gave them the nod early for shock value. I mean Reek with a pecker intact makes you have hope that Theon will come back but Reek with no wing wang is kind of a hopeless character.

Characters get it much worse in the books. I guess they can't really disfigure someone for a tv show since attractive people are more fun to watch than toothless, noseless, earless burn victims who were once attractive, healthy and whole characters when the series began. But nearly every character ends up looking way uglier, more damaged and considerably less whole than when they began in the books. I think that would bring the show to a new level of depressing that the average viewer wouldn't be able to take.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure the practicality element is key too. Removing Tyrion's nose through some kind of special effect whenever he appears would be very laborious and probably not extremely convincing.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Perhaps the truth is somewhere in the middle:

Season 1: AGOT (2011)
Season 2: ACOK (2012)
Season 3: ASOS part 1 (2013)
Season 4: ASOS part 2 and AFOC/ADWD part 1 (2014)
Season 5: AFOC/ADWD part 2 (2015)
Season 6: ADWD part 3 and TWOW part 1 (2016)
Season 7: TWOW part 2 (2017)
Season 8: ADOS (2018) - may extend into a ninth season

That would require that GRRM have book 7 finished before 2018 which is possible, but far from certain. Also, I'm still not sure how they're going to squeeze the bulk of AFOC and ADWD into season 5 without sacrificing a lot of major story arcs and characters. I guess we'll see have to see how far they get into AFOC and ADWD in season 4. I have a feeling they're going to push back a lot of the events in those books to before the end of ASOS. The Brienne/Jaime story arc already looks like it has been pushed back. I'm guessing a lot of the Dorne stuff from AFOC will also be pushed back, and Dany's story arc will also probably be pushed back. But I find it hard to believe that they would end season 4 anywhere but where ASOS ends.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 5, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Random tangent, but after watching House of Cards (at least season one) I'm convinced that Frank and Littlefinger are essentially the same character - someone who thinks they're more important than they are, and someone who takes credit for changing circumstances as they adapt their plan.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
If they finished the series before the last book came out, would you watch?

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience
Oh of course. Everyone would. Some people might try and hold out but they'll get spoiled somewhere in the decade it takes to write the next couple.

Rosscifer fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Mar 5, 2014

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

lifts cats over head posted:

If you think Theon has a happy ending then you haven't been paying attention.
Theon's happy ending involve him being the dickless lord of the Iron Island and being a good dad to his only male heir (the bastard child of that "salty wife" he was loving in his cabin while her captain's father was transporting him to the Iron Island).

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

webmeister posted:

Please try to remember we're in TVIV. This isn't enough information to go on.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

If they finished the series before the last book came out, would you watch?

Might be the only thing which makes me really interested in the show, frankly.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

quote:

There may be a new type of music you’ll be associating Game of Thrones with this season. According to the Wall Street Journal and Vibe, HBO has found yet another way of reaching out to audiences in creative ways to promote the show.

This Friday, March 7th, Catch the Throne, a 10-track mixtape of songs featuring hip-hop and Latin-crossover artists inspired by the show is scheduled to be released. Performers such as Big Boi, Common, Wale, Daddy Yankee, and Bodega Bamz will be appearing on the recording.

Catch the Throne will be available to fans for free on the Internet.

http://winteriscoming.net/2014/03/hip-hop-artists-promote-game-of-thrones-with-a-new-mixtape/

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

I sit and think when I'm in my zone
This life is like the Game of Thrones

Cool idea, but I hope they're generally better than that snippet, cause :lol:

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

rypakal posted:

Please try to remember we're in TVIV. This isn't enough information to go on.

For all we know, he just needed a condom.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

webmeister posted:

Christ I literally skimmed right past that. Poor Theon. Poor Theon's penis.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Oh Common, how far you have fallen. :(

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
lol Wale

This is too funny to be sad.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I think that might be the dorkiest rap-related project I've seen since Ocarina of Rhyme. Worse than that, even, since that at least used pre-existing lyrics.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

loquacius posted:

I think that might be the dorkiest rap-related project I've seen since Ocarina of Rhyme. Worse than that, even, since that at least used pre-existing lyrics.

In my head I'm hearing hip-hop versions of Rains of Castamere and Bear and the Maiden Fair.

Please shoot me with a crossbolt.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

If they just sampled those songs and put regular real rap lyrics on top of them it'd STILL be too embarrassing to talk about in public, but I'd listen anyway if it turned out to be catchy. If it's awkward rap about Game of Thrones, as in the preview, I couldn't even attempt to listen without becoming engulfed in shame. If it's both of those things at once, it's basically a goon project.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
This just means someone is going to make a ghetto game of thrones youtube parody video that will get linked on my Facebook feed for the next three years.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013
Get me on a horse and I'm trouble
Last week hosed around and made the Mountain crumble
Sendin Sers to 7 hells like J.L.
I can't believe, today was my name day

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Pfft, Jay-Z and Kanye did this years ago :rolleyes:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
The Rhymes & Flows of Tyrion Lannister

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Homies Without Banners

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Gotta drop this here now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-oZ4Bug_zA

(If you haven't seen it: I know it seems like it'll be bad but it's actually very well written)

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Outside actual songs used in the series itself the only singing that should be associated with GOT is this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25KABvPbq-U

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Cant forgot WHUR MUH BOATS AT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAI_mnJgesI

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So who is going to see the GOT preview in Barclay center? Ticket is on sale now.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
No preview in the UK? boo...

I really liked that black & yellow mash-up

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Took me forever to get 2 lovely mid level tickets on ticketmaster. You GOT fans are crazy.

I will be going dress up as thin GRRM.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

timp posted:

Gotta drop this here now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-oZ4Bug_zA

(If you haven't seen it: I know it seems like it'll be bad but it's actually very well written)

This was actually pretty good.

Edit: Man, I didn't even realise untilt the end that they each play one of the Baratheon brothers.

Syncopated fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Wow, I never realized how many people hated AFFC and ADWD until I discovered this message board.
http://www.iswintercoming.com/when-will-george-hbo-admit-defeat-t1726.html

I purposely stayed away from message boards that spoiled the books until I was done reading them, but now that I'm done I'm REALLY glad I did. I actually really enjoyed AFFC and ADWD, moreso than the first three (probably because I already knew most of what happened in those from watching the show). Seeing people constantly slam GRRM and those books while reading them probably would have made me less likely to finish them. Am I in the minority in enjoying AFFC and ADWD?

• Locked thread