Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Producer/Showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 49 7.04%
John Wiles 1 0.14%
Innes Lloyd 1 0.14%
Peter Bryant 3 0.43%
Derrick Sherwin 3 0.43%
Barry Letts 12 1.72%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 62 8.91%
Graham Williams 3 0.43%
John Nathan-Turner 15 2.16%
Philip Segal 3 0.43%
Russel T Davies 106 15.23%
Steven Moffat 114 16.38%
Son Goku 324 46.55%
Total: 696 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

vegetables posted:

It's not anywhere near a strong enough point to say all the stuff he says afterwards, I don't think.

philip_sandifer.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

vegetables posted:

I should have clarified this. What I dislike about that post so much is that it uses this argument as an excuse to be extremely condescending:

And, well, it's a really rubbish argument that appears to suggest a neuroatypical Doctor is an impossibility for, well, reasons. It's not anywhere near a strong enough point to say all the stuff he says afterwards, I don't think.

The criticism is nonsense, the criticism of the criticism is condescending, wordy nonsense. It's like a little microcosm of the black hole of blogger in-fighting, complete with the phrase "awesome on toast" in the middle of a bunch of forced erudite phrasing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Davros1 posted:

Big Finish has tried to get a Star Trek license in the past, the idea being it would be a wholly original ship with a original crew, but Paramount wasn't interested. They also tried to get the license for James Bond as well, but nothing came of that either.

Oh, I'm not expecting even 5% of the ideas in that list to come to fruition, but even 1 or 2 would be cool.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Star Trek: Audacity

starring Colin Baker as the EMH.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They could do Red Dwarf and only have to hire Chris Barrie! :haw:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Haven't you people learned yet not to engage in anything to do with Doctor Who on the internet outside of this thread :cripes:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Haven't you people learned yet not to engage in anything to do with Doctor Who on the internet outside of this thread :cripes:

Why should I ignore him? He's wrong. He goes against everything [read: Big Finish] I believe in.

He must be fought.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Screw Star Trek or James Bond. I want to hear what Big Finish would do with the Buck Rogers licence. :swoon:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

"The Terrible Zodin" always sounded like Buck Rodgers or Flash Gordon villain to me.

I smell ~crossover~ (with Six)!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Star Trek is usually background noise for me anyway. Its verbose nature would work drat well in radio format. Star Trek's 50th anniversary is happening in what, next year? Maybe Big Finish will be able to cut a licensing deal.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Potsticker posted:

Screw Star Trek or James Bond. I want to hear what Big Finish would do with the Buck Rogers licence. :swoon:

I'm all aboard for some Terrahawks action! :dance:

"Terrahawks! Stay on this channel! This is an emergency!"

Such a shame Windsor Davies has passed on. :(

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

DoctorWhat posted:

Why should I ignore him? He's wrong. He goes against everything [read: Big Finish] I believe in.

He must be fought.

Couldn't you just be satisfied by building a time flow analogue out of available bits of cutlery, thus mildly disrupting his schemes?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Couldn't you just be satisfied by building a time flow analogue out of available bits of cutlery, thus mildly disrupting his schemes?

What do you think a tumblog is? I reversed his whatsit and made it a thingy.

Besides, though I'm loath to stoop to such juvenile defense, he did start it.

...And if you come at the king, you best not miss.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
So uh, I did a thing today:

(I love it)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Well I posted this:

DoctorWhat posted:

Thunt is fictional. Goblins but a dream within a dream. But here, at this nexus point of bizarre creators and horrible creations, they find existence.

Thunt is alive, and we are making him alive.

in the Bad Webcomics thread. Love me some Chimes and all that.

...then, someone replied:

Pope Guilty posted:

NOBODY CLAP YOUR HANDS

... so either we're totally hosed, or Ian Reddington is watching Peter Pan. Or both.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

GonSmithe posted:

So uh, I did a thing today:

(I love it)

Haha. That's awesome. I have thought about getting a TARDIS tattoo for awhile. But you have that beat.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Guys, guys, it's okay. Somebody in the "PYF Terrible Tattoos" thread solved it for us so we don't have to fight any more!

Lolitas Alright! posted:

What people don't seem to get is that "Doctor Who" is a kids' show. Always was, since the beginning. It was supposed to be something the whole family could watch and enjoy, but was aimed towards older kids. It's not meant to be this big beautiful tale of philosophy and love and blah blah blah bullshit. It's loving "My Little Pony" in space with aliens.

Well, that sure is a relief!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I do not trust this 'Lolitas Alright!' person.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
If I was going to get a Who tattoo it'd be that Cyberman head that's stenciled all over the place in Tomb.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
If I was going to get a Who tattoo it would be one of the TARDIS after it lands in The Invasion

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MrL_JaKiri posted:

If I was going to get a Who tattoo it would be one of the TARDIS after it lands in The Invasion

Clever. You could get a UV tattoo of the TARDIS..?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Maybe someone can help me with remembering an episode…

It’s a Sixth Doctor serial. Colin Baker walks into a room, immediately points off-screen, and yells “VILLAIN!” Followed by several other unflattering terms.

I’ve had that image stuck in my head since last night and I can’t, for the life of me, remember which story it’s from!

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 27, 2014

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

CobiWann posted:

It’s a Sixth Doctor serial. Colin Baker walks into a room, immediately points off-screen, and yells “VILLAIN!” Followed by several other unflattering terms.

I’ve had that image stuck in my head since last night and I can’t, for the life of me, remember which story it’s from!

Are you mis-remembering the 6th Doctor comic story 'Voyager'? There's a scene where exactly that happens.

EDIT:

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Mar 7, 2014

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

Are you mis-remembering the 6th Doctor comic story 'Voyager'? There's a scene where exactly that happens.

EDIT:

Ok, one, that's absolutely awesome and now adorning my office wall.

Two, no, I definitely remember seeing it on TV. It's pure distilled Colin.

Here, I found the clip in a fanvid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7EnhqkBXPgw#t=95

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Ok, one, that's absolutely awesome and now adorning my office wall.

Two, no, I definitely remember seeing it on TV. It's pure distilled Colin.

Here, I found the clip in a fanvid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7EnhqkBXPgw#t=95

You should get the Voyager graphic novel, it's really good. Also, huh, I've never seen that before. I need to watch more Colin. We all know how pitifully small that section of the DVD Behemoth is. I don't even have what some would call a classic.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I'm pretty sure I recognize what serial that bit of Colin Baker pointing comes from.

Unfortunately I recognize it as being from The Twin Dilemma. The only Colin Baker story I've yet to see. I made the mistake of attempting to watch it immediately after Caves of Androzani and you just don't do that.

It still baffles me that Androzani's last episode and Twin Dilemma's first aired just a week apart from each other in 1984.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

FreezingInferno posted:

Unfortunately I recognize it as being from The Twin Dilemma.

Oh crumbs.

Well, I guess I'll give it a shot this weekend. Been as while since I've seen it. I mean, it can't be as bad as, say, Timelash.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

CobiWann posted:

It’s a Sixth Doctor serial. Colin Baker walks into a room, immediately points off-screen, and yells

All of them? :downsrim:

(really though, it's Twin Dilemma like FreezingInferno said. Part Three if you want the precise episode)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
BF are doing another Seventh Doctor boxset! This time it's New Adventures themed, so he's with Ace and Benny.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gaz-L posted:

BF are doing another Seventh Doctor boxset! This time it's New Adventures themed, so he's with Ace and Benny.

They're also doing an adaptation on "The Highest Science". I'm disappointed by this though. Benny is, without a doubt, the worst companion, and the New Adventures were such crap.

I just realized why I hate the Fifth Doctor audio "Nekromentia" so much. It is like a lost New Adventure.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

FreezingInferno posted:

Unfortunately I recognize it as being from The Twin Dilemma. The only Colin Baker story I've yet to see. I made the mistake of attempting to watch it immediately after Caves of Androzani and you just don't do that.

Found it, and it's ever better than I remembered!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xr52mx_the-twin-dilemma-3-of-4_shortfilms&start=1223

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

CobiWann posted:

Oh crumbs.

Well, I guess I'll give it a shot this weekend. Been as while since I've seen it. I mean, it can't be as bad as, say, Timelash.

It is much much much worse than Timelash. Timelash has ludicrous overacting and concepts thrown in everywhere, The Twin Dilemma is just offensive.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 7, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CobiWann posted:

Oh crumbs.

I would not test that theory.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

This is amazing. "Still bullying children, eh?" :allears:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Colin Baker can spin gold from poo poo, y'all.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

Colin Baker can spin gold from poo poo, y'all.

Not the Twin Dilemma though, I mean, seriously.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Bicyclops posted:

Not the Twin Dilemma though, I mean, seriously.

It was his skill that it was just poo poo. It could have been a lot worse.

Floorgazer
May 7, 2007
I find it really hard to explain to people why I like this show sometimes. Pretty much everything post-Davison and pre-revival is pretty embarrassing to be caught watching. Dealing with people who call it "My Little Pony in space" makes it an uphill battle, really.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I'd never be embarrassed by Varos, Fenric, or Remembrance and neither should you be!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

DoctorWhat posted:

I'd never be embarrassed by Varos, Fenric, or Remembrance and neither should you be!

Here's something I've been pondering. Jason Connery was in Varos, so does that mean Sean Connery has seen Varos?

• Locked thread