Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Raku posted:

Saban could literally murder Lane Kiffin in the middle of Bryant Denny and not even get arrested so from a certain perspective there could be some pretty great results of Bama didn't score in the first game

It'd be a long, slow death too, considering Saban is opposed to doing anything quickly on the field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Scarf posted:

It'd be a long, slow death too, considering Saban is opposed to doing anything quickly on the field.

I imagine it going something like this....

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
A week later Kiffin's remaining entrails are found strewn over the rock in Tennessee

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

"Laaaane Kiffin, it's time? Oh, it's time, motherfucker."--nick saban

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Alouicious posted:

on the other hand Ohio State is pretty bad, VT will probably win

Strength v. strength matchup. I sort of hope we run the ball more just because I'm going to be holding my breath every time Braxton/(Braxton's backup because he's made of papier mache) throws the ball with the corners VT has. However, I'm fairly confident that VT isn't going to exploit our pass defense so it's a toss up.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

TheGreyGhost posted:

Strength v. strength matchup. I sort of hope we run the ball more just because I'm going to be holding my breath every time Braxton/(Braxton's backup because he's made of papier mache) throws the ball with the corners VT has. However, I'm fairly confident that VT isn't going to exploit our pass defense so it's a toss up.

VT did just get a QB transfer that comes from a air raid, so you never know...

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

TheGreyGhost posted:

Bud is going to load up the box and dare Braxton to throw. He won't think twice about putting our corners on an island and make them make a play if it means stopping the run.

That matchup is going to be pretty good for the first 3 quarters until our defense tires out (because our offense will go 3 and out over and over) and OSU puts up two quick TDs sometime in the 4th.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Don't know if this calls for reviving the Northwestern unionization thread or not... the NCAA et al. now have another major lawsuit on its hands: Shawne Alston, a former West Virginia RB, filed a suit alleging antitrust violations -- essentially, that the NCAA amounts to an illegal wage-fixing cartel because athletic scholarship values are capped below the actual cost of attendance. The class-action suit seeks to include all former football players from the five major conferences -- also named as defendants -- since 2010.

The firm representing Alston is also involved in the Ed O'Bannon case (which, last I heard, had cleared the last hurdles and will go to trial unless the NCAA settles) and a concussion settlement.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Alouicious posted:

Alabama losing first game of the season would be nothing.

You shut your loving mouth, Bama losing to WVU right out of the gate would be loving great. For that I would give up most any football occurrence not involving my team.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Don't know if this calls for reviving the Northwestern unionization thread or not... the NCAA et al. now have another major lawsuit on its hands: Shawne Alston, a former West Virginia RB, filed a suit alleging antitrust violations -- essentially, that the NCAA amounts to an illegal wage-fixing cartel because athletic scholarship values are capped below the actual cost of attendance. The class-action suit seeks to include all former football players from the five major conferences -- also named as defendants -- since 2010.

The firm representing Alston is also involved in the Ed O'Bannon case (which, last I heard, had cleared the last hurdles and will go to trial unless the NCAA settles) and a concussion settlement.

Oh this could be fun :munch:

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Thermos H Christ posted:

You shut your loving mouth, Bama losing to WVU right out of the gate would be loving great. For that I would give up most any football occurrence not involving my team.

I grew up in WV and went to a bunch of WVU games, so I get to be smug either way :smugdog:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Emron posted:

I grew up in WV and went to a bunch of WVU games, so I get to be smug either way :smugdog:

As long as we still get the inevitable amazing crowd shots when Clint Trickett or whoever unleashes the dragon all over Saban's face.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

DJExile posted:

Oh this could be fun :munch:

There has to be some Congressional action at some point on all this. The legal issues associated with college athletics are getting beyond the scope of what the NCAA is capable of handling.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

There has to be some Congressional action at some point on all this. The legal issues associated with college athletics are getting beyond the scope of what the NCAA is capable of handling.

You're right, but at the same time our politics are enough of a disaster when we're talking about things that actually matter - watching our congress try to make rules about sports sounds like a loving massive circus.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Spiritus Nox posted:

You're right, but at the same time our politics are enough of a disaster when we're talking about things that actually matter - watching our congress try to make rules about sports sounds like a loving massive circus.

On the other hand they cleaned up baseball

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Declan MacManus posted:

lol*

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

And racism is over

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Cross post from the hurry up thread, but NCAA changed the targeting rule instant replay bullshit:

:woop: :woop:

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2014-03-06/playing-rules-oversight-panel-approves-alteration-reviews-targeting

quote:

The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved an alteration involving the instant-replay review on targeting fouls in college football on Thursday.

Starting with the 2014 season, if the instant replay official rules that a disqualification should not have occurred, and if the targeting foul is not accompanied by another personal foul, the 15-yard penalty for targeting will not be enforced.

However, if the player commits the targeting foul in conjunction with another personal foul, the 15-yard penalty for that personal foul remains. For example, if a player is called for roughing the passer and targeting the head and neck area, but the instant replay official rules that targeting did not occur, the player flagged would remain in the game, but the roughing the passer penalty would still be enforced.

The NCAA implemented the targeting rule last season, and officials ejected any player committing the penalty and assessed his team with a 15-yard penalty. If the instant replay official ruled that targeting did not take place and a disqualification should not have occurred, the player was allowed to return to the game, but the penalty yardage was still marked off.
In games where instant replay is not in use, on-field officials have the option to review first-half targeting calls during halftime. This rule is used only when it is a conference’s policy or both teams mutually consent. It is the responsibility of the home team to provide the parameters for the use of video. The referee must be conduct the review in the officials’ locker room.

Officials could then reverse the targeting call and allow the player to compete in the second half. Most games in the Football Championship Subdivision, Division II and Division III are not televised, so this modification gives those teams greater flexibility to review targeting fouls during a game.

Also, in 30 days' time they'll be meeting again to discuss making hitting the QB below the knee a 15 yard penalty

quote:

The Football Rules Committee also unanimously recommended a proposal to better protect passers from low contact at or below the knee.

The penalty would apply when defenders are rushing unabated to the quarterback and would result in a 15-yard roughing the passer penalty. As with all rules proposals, the NCAA membership will have a 30-day comment period to provide feedback on the recommendation before it will be considered by the Playing Rules Oversight Panel.

The topic was previously discussed during the committee’s in-person meeting Feb. 10-12, but no action was taken at that time. However, the commissioners of all 10 FBS conferences unanimously supported that the committee take action on the issue. Jon Steinbrecher, commissioner of the Mid-American Conference and chair of College Football Officiating, formally presented the proposal to the committee during the conference call.

After some discussion and review of several video examples, the committee unanimously recommended the proposal.

“It is of paramount importance as the leaders of NCAA football that our rules do everything possible to protect student-athletes,” said Steinbrecher, himself a former football student-athlete. “We have seen how the NFL’s change in this area has impacted behavior and improved the safety of the game for passers. We view this rule change as essential, and we are pleased that the process allows our direct input and that the committee agreed with this proposal.”

The proposed rules change specifically covers a scenario in which a quarterback is in a passing posture with one or both feet on the ground. In that situation, no defensive player rushing unabated can hit him forcibly at or below the knee. The defensive player also may not initiate a roll or lunge and forcibly hit the quarterback in the knee area or below.

The exceptions for these types of hits are:

If the passer becomes a runner, either inside or outside the tackle box;
The defender grabs or wraps the passer in an attempt to make a conventional tackle;
The defender is not rushing unabated or is blocked or fouled into the passer.
http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2014-03-06/football-rules-committee-tables-defensive-substitution-proposal

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Clemson has installed a countdown clock to their game against us in all their meeting rooms:

Quite the contrast to Spurrier tearing down the "Beat Clemson" signage we used to have when he first got here.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Zypher posted:

Also, in 30 days' time they'll be meeting again to discuss making hitting the QB below the knee a 15 yard penalty

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2014-03-06/football-rules-committee-tables-defensive-substitution-proposal

How is it determined when a passer becomes a runner? When he crosses the LOS?

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 7, 2014

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Zypher posted:

Cross post from the hurry up thread, but NCAA changed the targeting rule instant replay bullshit:

:woop: :woop:

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2014-03-06/playing-rules-oversight-panel-approves-alteration-reviews-targeting

Cool they have effectively killed the rule.

Safety conscience indeed.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Cool they have effectively killed the rule.

Safety conscience indeed.

How is this killing the rule? It's correcting a stupid part of it that shouldn't have existed in the first place (e.g. punishing a team even when it is determined there was no foul). Players will still get ejected for legitimate targeting.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

RumbleFish posted:

How is this killing the rule? It's correcting a stupid part of it that shouldn't have existed in the first place (e.g. punishing a team even when it was determined there was no foul). Players will still get ejected for legitimate targeting.

From what I understand the entire point of the rule was to get players and coaches to take notice of dangerous/ill-formed hits by punishing them regardless, so that maybe finally they'll teach them how to properly hit a dude.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

RumbleFish posted:

How is this killing the rule? It's correcting a stupid part of it that shouldn't have existed in the first place (e.g. punishing a team even when it is determined there was no foul). Players will still get ejected for legitimate targeting.

Refs seems to be very gun shy about calling it if it would DQ a player, at least this way there would be some penalty.

Take away both and this will be overturned most of the time and all that will be accomplished is another time sink.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Alouicious posted:

From what I understand the entire point of the rule was to get players and coaches to take notice of dangerous/ill-formed hits by punishing them regardless, so that maybe finally they'll teach them how to properly hit a dude.

So, by that logic, if a guy pulls up and doesn't lay out a QB after he released the ball, you should still call roughing the passer because he could have hit the guy.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Very good article at SBNation on how Doug Nussmeier is going to fix what Al Borges broke: http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/3/6/5470272/michigan-football-new-offense-plays-doug-nussmeier-2014

Salient quote:

quote:

His [Borges'] system put major stress on the weakest parts of his team. His attempts to problem solve revealed further flaws in his napkin-domination approach to the game. Michigan switched between primary run schemes on a regular basis, moved young linemen to different positions, and integrated new formations and plays every week, rather than building an identity for the team to become comfortable with.

The offensive performances became more and more uneven down the stretch, and his array of clever traps for defenses fell flat when the set-up attempts put Michigan behind the chains. Hoke fired Borges in January.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Exclusive footage of Gus Malzahn reacting to the 10 second rule being dropped:

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

RumbleFish posted:

Clemson has installed a countdown clock to their game against us in all their meeting rooms:

Quite the contrast to Spurrier tearing down the "Beat Clemson" signage we used to have when he first got here.

You know the sight-gag where someone's swinging wildly at a person and missing...while the target has his hand on the forehead of the assaulting party indicating they don't have the reach?

One of these is Spurrier. The other is Dabo.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

RumbleFish posted:

Reminds me of the clock that UVA keeps to count down to the Commonwealth Cup, it hasn't worked for them either.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Heaf posted:

Football is essentially pointless across the grand cosmos of the universe. You see, we are but a dot amongst an infinite plane, going about several motions at once.

During the fall, we rise up and find a new way to occupy our Saturdays because those were the days someone picked. On a weekend afternoon (I suppose) the Iowa State Cyclones will take on the Kansas Jayhawks in a football game. We all know that it will be pointless and at best border on the edge of competitiveness. A score will come of this, perhaps 13-10. At the same time, in another part of the country, two teams of the newly reorganized Conference USA will play a game someone will try to enjoy despite the stakes being lower than that of an High A Rookie Ball baseball game sometime in the middle of July. A highlight will be produced as some receiver will make a great catch and we will forget his name.

Yet, life will go on after that game and the next game and the next. Everyone will continue to make the same eight jokes for eight years in a row. You'll exclaim in your head "Comedy Goldmine!" though you haven't had a full laugh at it in ages. Some resources are finite, yet people continue to dig for ores though it is well known they have dried up. "One more drop will come out of this faucet!" someone exclaims in the background. They know it's there, they do!

In a rush to find an excuse, they blame the pipes and their tools and the poorly organized lessons they were taught. Everything was rote memory. Critical thinking was never approached, a thought lost in time because The Process was foolproof. No one thought to improve the process, to adapt it for age. It's still the same for every game at every level, you know. "Holy poo poo! That guy made a tackle!" No one is looking for quality, but perhaps we should look for thoughtfulness.

This fall, Virginia Tech will play Ohio State in Columbus. Virginia Tech will look okay for part of that game and then eventually lose. It does not matter. Life will continue and we will have to face the reality that death is imminent. When an extra point is somehow successful, remind yourself that you have a limited amount of time on this Earth and that you will probably matter as much as a two yard run up the middle.

gently caress Iowa State.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Reminds me of the clock that UVA keeps to count down to the Commonwealth Cup, it hasn't worked for them either.

10 years and counting :getin:

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Troubled Fr. RB Mario Pender, was academically ineligible his first drat year at FSU, which is kind of impressive to do, all things considered. He got his poo poo together and got a 3.4 this year. Usually our academic casualties never pick themselves back up.

Good for him. He comes from a really bad area and had trouble qualifying in the first place. Tomahawknation seemed to revel in saying that he won't make it, but he's on a good track :)

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

All the money spent powering that sign would be served to help find a new head coach.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Frinkahedron posted:

10 years and counting :getin:

I take special pride in knowing I have young cousins, who are the children of Wahoos, who have never known what it is like to be the owners of the Commonwealth Cup.

Crotch Bat posted:

All the money spent powering that sign would be served to help find a new head coach.

They will spend money and still only get to reside in the bottom half of the ACC for their troubles and emptier pockets.

B.F. Hoodrich
May 16, 2006
welp

Probably Magic posted:

gently caress Iowa State.

:respek:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
It's March, which means I'm going to bother people about college wrestling a bit even though nobody else cares. Conference championships are this weekend and almost every conference is offering the matches live either online or on TV. The only conference I couldn't find streams for is the EWL. Some require subscriptions, other are free.

Here's the schedule for this weekend. All Times are Eastern
Saturday, March 8th:
SoCon Championships, at Campbell, 9:00 AM SoCon Sports (free stream)
ACC Championships, at Virginia Tech, 10:00 AM ESPN3
EIWA Championships Session 1, at Penn, 10:00 AM FloWrestling Flocast
EWL Championships, at Cleveland State, 10:00 AM
Big Ten Championships Session 1, at Wisconsin, 11:00 AM Big 10 Digital Network
MAC Championships Session 1, at Kent State, 12:00 PM FloWrestling Flocast
WWC Championships, at Utah Valley, 2:00 PM Utah Valley TV Stream (I think Free stream)
Big 12 Championships, at Oklahoma, 4:00 PM Campus Insiders (free stream), Finals on Fox Sports Net
Big Ten Championships Session 2, at Wisconsin, 6:00 PM Big 10 Digital Network

Sunday, March 9:
EIWA Championships Session 2, at Penn, 10:00 AM FloWrestling Flocast
Big Ten Championships Session 3, at Wisconsin, 12:00 PM Big 10 Network
MAC Championships Session 2, at Kent State, 12:00 PM FloWrestling Flocast
EIWA Championships Session 3, at Penn, 3:45 PM FloWrestling Flocast

Even Iowa's basketball team is getting excited about it.

I promise this is my only post about wrestling until NCAAs.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 7, 2014

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Hey yall just want to remind you all this happened because I was talking to some girl from OU last night and was reminded that it was awesome and the play of the year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvMIJ0zkyU0

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Thoguh posted:

It's March, which means I'm going to bother people about college wrestling a bit even though nobody else cares. Conference championships are this weekend and almost every conference is offering the matches live either online or on TV. The only conference I couldn't find streams for is the EWL. Some require subscriptions, other are free.

What a coincidence! The women's basketball conference tournaments are this week too (and next I think)! Great couple of weeks for sports.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 7, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thoguh posted:

Here's the schedule for this weekend. All Times are Eastern
Saturday, March 8th:
SoCon Championships, at Campbell, 9:00 AM SoCon Sports (free stream)
ACC Championships, at Virginia Tech, 10:00 AM ESPN3
EIWA Championships Session 1, at Penn, 10:00 AM FloWrestling Flocast
EWL Championships, at Cleveland State, 10:00 AM
Big Ten Championships Session 1, at Wisconsin, 11:00 AM Big 10 Digital Network
MAC Championships Session 1, at Kent State, 12:00 PM FloWrestling Flocast
WWC Championships, at Utah Valley, 2:00 PM Utah Valley TV Stream (I think Free stream)
Big 12 Championships, at Oklahoma, 4:00 PM Campus Insiders (free stream), Finals on Fox Sports Net
Big Ten Championships Session 2, at Wisconsin, 6:00 PM Big 10 Digital Network

Sunday, March 9:
EIWA Championships Session 2, at Penn, 10:00 AM FloWrestling Flocast
Big Ten Championships Session 3, at Wisconsin, 12:00 PM Big 10 Network
MAC Championships Session 2, at Kent State, 12:00 PM FloWrestling Flocast
EIWA Championships Session 3, at Penn, 3:45 PM FloWrestling Flocast

Even Iowa's basketball team is getting excited about it.

I promise this is my only post about wrestling until NCAAs.

even one post is too many, shut up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The more padding or armor you have to wear to play the sport, the better, which means basketball is the lamest because you are basically wearing what a lot of people wear to bed.

• Locked thread