Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

The broken bones posted:

You're right, definitely not, and I take that back, but I was thinking about not including people with bipolar or BPD (since Audrey hasn't shown any signs of that) and considering Audrey's case doesn't quite seem like compulsive behavior.

You know, I don't wanna armchair psych this stuff, so I'll just nod in your direction and move on

Definitely a good call, I'd be with you entirely, but come on, that's not the spirit of the thread, we need baseless attacks, mindless repetition, and rank hyperbole!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Periodiko posted:

Perhaps the idea is to contrast the way she copes with a corrupt and dark world with the way her father does. She's an artist, she becomes a goth, she has weird sex, she does inappropriate things at school. Certainly she's troubled, but she's been able to take all that darkness and deal with it in an emotionally honest way, and turns it into a career as an artist as an adult. There are icons from the show in her art - the hospital wall painting, the spiral, even the "gang bang" barbie tableau or the weird ski mask rape sketch - because she's able to take all this darkness and turn it into art, something that can be examined. She doesn't bottle it up like Marty, or let it define and destroy her like Cohle. She's the artist Cohle wishes he had become.

I could possibly see this as being the point except that she literally made an exact makeup of the rape sequence with barbie dolls when she was about the age of the same children who were molested. Combine that with the sketches and the show is being quite unsubtle at telling us that she was molested, and that's not really coming from left field when the shadowy organization that Cohle is chasing consists of child molesters.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

monster on a stick posted:

I could possibly see this as being the point except that she literally made an exact makeup of the rape sequence with barbie dolls when she was about the age of the same children who were molested. Combine that with the sketches and the show is being quite unsubtle at telling us that she was molested, and that's not really coming from left field when the shadowy organization that Cohle is chasing consists of child molesters.

While I agree that that information is there, you'd think an organization that has hid themselves for this long would shy away from molesting the daughter of someone on the police force.

VVVVVV
My god, the evidence was right in front of us the whole time.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Max posted:

While I agree that that information is there, you'd think an organization that has hid themselves for this long would shy away from molesting the daughter of someone on the police force.

P much confirms that Marty is the Yellow King

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
The daughter getting boned in a car simply served to show Marty being unable to act rationally and compassionately at home. Don't read into this poo poo, jesus.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
We all in carcosa now

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Broseph Brostar posted:

We all in carcosa now

Death is not the end. Rejoice!

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

pugnax posted:

The daughter getting boned in a car simply served to show Marty being unable to act rationally and compassionately at home. Don't read into this poo poo, jesus.

While the dolls, drawings, acting out and later mental health problems serve to show us...

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Sexgun Rasputin posted:

the writer of the show isn't going to write a 16 year old getting double teamed as a healthy expression of her budding sexuality, you loving weirdos. especially not when he couples that with ample evidence of her being somehow privy to the symbolism and activities of the yellow king cult.

the only way they could make it more apparent that marty's daughter was sexually abused at a young age would be to have a character announce it out loud or actually show it on screen. gently caress off with the dumb political baggage y'all are bringing to this. the information exists for a reason, it's just basic economy of storytelling.

They're pretty clearly showing her as a troubled teenager but the "ample" evidence connecting her to the cult is anything but. They could bring that connection in in the final episode but concluding that's what has happened from what we've seen so far is a long leap. Everything they've shown could be easily explained by Marty's inattention to his daughters and his work life bleeding into his home life which is also something that has been thematically reinforced from the very first episode.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Max posted:

If they are as powerful as implied, they're not going to care about a low-level cop.

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

(and can't post for 653 days!)

how can we ever, like, know anything, man

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
This thread is a flat circle. Reginald Ledoo

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Sexgun Rasputin posted:

the writer of the show isn't going to write a 16 year old getting double teamed as a healthy expression of her budding sexuality, you loving weirdos. especially not when he couples that with ample evidence of her being somehow privy to the symbolism and activities of the yellow king cult.

Girls have sex with older boys all the time, especially alienated girls with fractured home lives, concluding that that means she's been sexually abused because of this is pretty absurd. Not every goth kid that acts out sexually has been abused.

She could just as easily be relating something she overheard. It's a long walk from "in a world of sexual predation, Marty's daughter draws art depicting this" to "she was raped by the exact same people Marty is tracking."

Ya'll are using phrases like "ample evidence" and "exact makeup" to describe to some pretty flimsy, or blink-and-you'll-miss-it phenomena.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.
The best part about all this is that with only one episode left there's no real way they're going to definitively cover what if anything happened to the daughter. Everyone gets to keep thinking they're right and that everyone else is an idiot. We all win!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I wanna see someone put their money where their mouth is and toxx themselves whether she was abused by the cult or not.

NihilistCanada
Sep 11, 2001

If you tremble indignation at every injustice then you are a comrade of mine.

Why does she have to be the victim of the actual crimes? The victims of this cult seem to be children at the margins of society. That's what the Tuttle Ministries school system was set up to help.

Marty's daughter is not from that part of society. She comes from comfortable upper/middle-class parents and family. Mom and Dad have good paying jobs, Grandpa and Grandma have some serious money(at least in the form of a lake house with a poo poo ton of property).

She is not the traditional victim as her disappearance would bring too much attention.

Rather she was a witness to this. This cult is hereditary and thus would need new recruits every generation or so.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jummy posted:

The best part about all this is that with only one episode left there's no real way they're going to definitively cover what if anything happened to the daughter. Everyone gets to keep thinking they're right and that everyone else is an idiot. We all win!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure all there is to take away from the daughter is that Marty was a horrible dad and let the job and his own hypocrisy destroy his family with out realizing it until it was waaaaay to late.

I pretty much guarantee they're not gonna do anything else with her in the finale. There's absolutely no point. Her story is done. Had a lovely dad, acted out as a kid, got on meds/therapy, has a supportive boyfriend and a career as an artist.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Everything we've ever posted or will post in this thread, we're gonna post over and over and over again

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

thathonkey posted:

Everything we've ever posted or will post in this thread, we're gonna post over and over and over again

poirot818
Jun 1, 2011

poirot818 posted:

Glenn Fleshler in 1992

Matthew McConaughey was also in this 1992 episode of Unsolved Mysteries where he mowed a lawn for his mom Dorothy Lang and then was killed by a sex offender who drove a red truck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_pJ8oiFeGs

1992 was also the year that Light of the Way closed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lflRbv3HA0E

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

From pages ago but needs more love. I would love to see this concept ran into the ground.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

davebo posted:

I wanna see someone put their money where their mouth is and toxx themselves whether she was abused by the cult or not.

I considered doing it for Audrey being on that tape last episode, but man am I glad I didn't.

obliviums
Oct 2, 2013

The only exercise I get is poopin'

Do you fat-shaming try-hards really know how good ice cream is?
Although there is no evidence of this....

I predict that if Dad Tuttle was hosed up enough to scar one of his children, he wouldn't blush at scarring more. Although drugs may account for the fear others saw in him, and age may have faded the scars, I hope for something a bit more creepy(like a horribly scarred man) and a more satisfying reveal of the killer. Unless we get a 1st-person view of being drugged and tortured by the Yellow King to truly match the terror of "No Mask? No Mask!" The existential horror of Weird Horror works so well because of those intense moments or flashes of unknowable horror, and "my family has been here for a long time" doesn't do it for me. If not, I'm confident that the writer is smart and respectful enough of his audience to make a horrifying ending or at least a cool shoot-em-up.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sexgun Rasputin posted:

a 16 year old getting double teamed as a healthy expression of her budding sexuality

This is too long to be the thread title, isn't it?

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

(and can't post for 653 days!)

Periodiko posted:

Girls have sex with older boys all the time, especially alienated girls with fractured home lives, concluding that that means she's been sexually abused because of this is pretty absurd. Not every goth kid that acts out sexually has been abused.

She could just as easily be relating something she overheard. It's a long walk from "in a world of sexual predation, Marty's daughter draws art depicting this" to "she was raped by the exact same people Marty is tracking."

Ya'll are using phrases like "ample evidence" and "exact makeup" to describe to some pretty flimsy, or blink-and-you'll-miss-it phenomena.

Perhaps the idea is to contrast the way she copes with a corrupt and dark world with the way her father does. She's an artist, she becomes a goth, she has weird sex, she does inappropriate things at school. Certainly she's troubled, but she's been able to take all that darkness and deal with it in an emotionally honest way, and turns it into a career as an artist as an adult. There are icons from the show in her art - the hospital wall painting, the spiral, even the "gang bang" barbie tableau or the weird ski mask rape sketch - because she's able to take all this darkness and turn it into art, something that can be examined. She doesn't bottle it up like Marty, or let it define and destroy her like Cohle. She's the artist Cohle wishes he had become.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sexgun Rasputin posted:

she becomes a goth

Whoah now, we don't have any evidence of this! Show me the Joy Division poster or no sale.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

precision posted:

Whoah now, we don't have any evidence of this! Show me the Joy Division poster or no sale.

Yeah, definitely more emo or vamp.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
The only real plot aspect I don't understand is why the cult, with all of its connections, wealth, and resources, wouldn't have Rust clipped after Tuttle's houses were burglarized? I mean, surely Reverend Tuttle knew it was Rust that did the robbery and stole the safe, right? It was well established that Cohle wasn't really trying to hide himself and since he was no longer a cop, I don't know why Tuttle and his people wouldn't just bury Rust in the swamp somewhere. Even if the remaining conspiracy members decided to kill Tuttle anyway, surely they would want Rust dead too.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Didn't they make a point early on that no one really had any idea what Cohle was doing between leaving the CID in 2002 and getting his driver's license renewed in 2010/2? Just because they're a pagan secret society doesn't mean they're omniscient or that their resources or infinite. They're mostly working by co-opting established institutions (police, political machine, the like), and if those guys can't find Cohle, neither can the society elders.

DookieSandwich
Nov 14, 2012

Unzip and Attack posted:

The only real plot aspect I don't understand is why the cult, with all of its connections, wealth, and resources, wouldn't have Rust clipped after Tuttle's houses were burglarized? I mean, surely Reverend Tuttle knew it was Rust that did the robbery and stole the safe, right? It was well established that Cohle wasn't really trying to hide himself and since he was no longer a cop, I don't know why Tuttle and his people wouldn't just bury Rust in the swamp somewhere. Even if the remaining conspiracy members decided to kill Tuttle anyway, surely they would want Rust dead too.

Rust didnt burglarize Tuttle's house until he came back to Louisiana after 8 years. I think Tuttle long forgot about him.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Periodiko posted:

One thing I absolutely love about this show is how everything is crafted with an incredible level of detail. And the show makes very little effort to call attention to what's important and what isn't. The first time we saw Errol, we had nothing suggesting he was a villain except the NOTICE KING sign. And that was just caught this week maybe?

So consider: The camera slowly zooms in on the barbie gangbang, then cuts to Marty looking worried as Rust's voice-over starts a full-minute monologue about how he's grateful his daughter was spared pain, to die as a happy child, "trouble with dying later is you've already grown up. Damage is done, it's too late."

The craftsmanship and writing have been consistently phenomenal. Good writing and editing doesn't just cobble scenes together wherever. I feel safe in assuring you that placement of those scenes was intentional, and a production error didn't cause the overlapping audio and soundtrack.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I'd be really surprised if Marty's daughters show up in the finale at all because we know they are estranged from him and because the two acts in which Marty had a family (and then lost it) are over. There's been a lot of speculation about Audrey ever since the doll "gangrape" scene. That little tableau also happens to resemble the crime scene, which Maggie notes was described on TV. Right before Marty sees it, we hear one of the girls (presumably Audrey) whispering to her sister, "Your mommy and daddy got run over; you're an orphan now." This mirrors Rust's reveal of his daughter's death over dinner (though he didn't say how at the time), and I think what we're supposed to glean from those details is that awful poo poo bleeds into your family life even if you think you are a good cop and an upstanding man. The sex drawings and the two guys in the car show us that Audrey is indeed kinda hosed up, but particularly in the context of how Marty reacts to it (or fails to). Eveything we see and learn and need to know about Marty's daughters teach us things about him.

Whatever end/confrontation/climax Marty is racing to in the finale, he's already invested in it by his sense of duty to protect women and punish perceived transgressions against them. Getting a phone call from Maggie that Audrey is missing right before they bust down the door to the Yellow King's Pallid Rape Emporium would cheapen it. He doesn't need more motivation, and the viewer doesn't require the added drama. There is one hour left, and they still don't know about lawnmower guy (though I could see them picking it up immediately post-interrogation). Audrey not being a victim of the cult doesn't make all the oddness surrounding her a red herring, it already served its purpose. Whatever may have happened to her in childhood, it should remain outside the scope if this story.

Also I like Periodiko's take.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm willing to take a bet with my account that Audrey is never revealed to be involved with the case at all, nor will there be any mention of sexual abuse towards her as a child so long as someone is willing to take the opposite side of the bet.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

DookieSandwich posted:

Rust didnt burglarize Tuttle's house until he came back to Louisiana after 8 years. I think Tuttle long forgot about him.

I don't buy this. Cohle went into the man's office and basically told him "yeah I know you've been raping and murdering children in the swamp and as soon as I can prove it you're done" and you think Tuttle just forgot about that? Tuttle even openly stated "I'll be keeping my eye on you" as Rust left. There's no way a guy like that just forgets about someone out there who is on to him like that.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Wise Learned Man posted:

I'd be really surprised if Marty's daughters show up in the finale at all because we know they are estranged from him and because the two acts in which Marty had a family (and then lost it) are over. There's been a lot of speculation about Audrey ever since the doll "gangrape" scene. That little tableau also happens to resemble the crime scene, which Maggie notes was described on TV.

Wait, are you sure? The crime scene just had the girl with the crown/etc., and there was nothing at the scene that implied that five men had anything to do with it.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

sector_corrector posted:

I'm willing to take a bet with my account that Audrey is never revealed to be involved with the case at all, nor will there be any mention of sexual abuse towards her as a child so long as someone is willing to take the opposite side of the bet.

I'd be amazed (and disappointed) if either daughter shows up in the finale, but I still think that Audrey was exposed to abuse in some way (not necessarily first-hand). I'm not expecting a giant title card to show up explaining what happened, I just think it's clear from what we've already seen.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

novamute posted:

Everything they've shown could be easily explained by Marty's inattention to his daughters and his work life bleeding into his home life which is also something that has been thematically reinforced from the very first episode.

The problem I have with this is a lot of that imagery appears in Marty's house before it was discovered. How can you explain the picture in Marty's bedroom being the same as the psych ward when 1) Marty never went to the psych ward, and 2) the drawing was made before Cohle went to the psych ward? The girls playing with the crown when they were children was way way way in advance of the case even existing, and the video of the child molestation\murder was ever seen by Marty.

DookieSandwich
Nov 14, 2012

Unzip and Attack posted:

I don't buy this. Cohle went into the man's office and basically told him "yeah I know you've been raping and murdering children in the swamp and as soon as I can prove it you're done" and you think Tuttle just forgot about that? Tuttle even openly stated "I'll be keeping my eye on you" as Rust left. There's no way a guy like that just forgets about someone out there who is on to him like that.

Rust pretty much fell off the grid during those 8 years and no one knew he came back until the Lake Charles murder, 2 years after Tuttle's death. Since Tuttle was connected with the higher ups in the police, I could see Tuttle forgetting about all that after Rust got fed up with the police coverup, quitting and faded away for so many years.

DookieSandwich fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 7, 2014

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Wait, are you sure? The crime scene just had the girl with the crown/etc., and there was nothing at the scene that implied that five men had anything to do with it.

I just mean that Maggie mentioned hearing about it on TV, and that the arrangement of the dolls loosely matches the crime scene with all the cops and detectives standing around a nude blonde woman's corpse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I don't remember any of the detectives opening his fly.

• Locked thread