Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap

az posted:

Can Portugal form Spain if it cores all the necessary provinces?

Yes, Portugal can form Spain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

So I had some extra admin points, and so I decided I would take out some of the minors that my colonial subjects had established Protectorates over for some reason. Which I thought they patched out the ability to do. But then the Thirteen Colonies jumped in to defend the Ottawa for some reason. Which I also thought they patched out. I panicked a bit when it first happened, but my other colonial subjects did half the work of suppressing the rebellion, and I'm dominating the world anyway, so I'll roll with the punches. And this seemed like a poetic sort of thing to happen.

I expected that whatever peace deal I could make would fail to re-subjugate them for some reason. I did not expect this:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

I expected that whatever peace deal I could make would fail to re-subjugate them for some reason. I did not expect this:

Behold! The war eternal :black101:

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008

Dibujante posted:

Here's a tl;dr:
Denmark gets good internal stability and a very strong navy.
Sweden gets great armies and leaders.
Norway gets free explorers and colonizers.
Finland has nothing to recommend it.

Denmark the only nation to start the game at -1 stability :(

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Yep. Restarting tends to help for a little bit.

Does lowering the resolution work? Not sure if it's an optimization issue, it really is one of my main gripes with the game. EUIV with completely smooth scrolling and clicking would be incredible, but I guess there's just too much going on at the same time.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

No clue. Although I've noticed it, I've never made a real effort to reduce it.

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003

PittTheElder posted:

That's my guide. If it's not working out in 1.5, I may have to try it again. The neighbourhood might well be different now that Sweden is so hell-bent on independence. Which provinces are you taking? Because you'll probably have much better luck if you just grab Ostpreussen and Warmia, and then let someone else (preferably Not Poland) take Danzig for you. Alternatively, if Pomerania is becoming disproportionately pissed off, try allying with them. Even if they're not in the war, allies seem to take far less offense at AE you accrue.

Took my time slowly focussing on forming Germany and just happened to hit the requirements to create Prussia.

Ended up vassalising 5 of the HRE electors through wars so it doesn't look like I can be removed as Emperor now. I can't pass any HRE resolutions though as every other HRE prince hates me.

Managed to push my luck in one war and grabbed the last two provinces needed to form Germany although a rather ugly one which is divided by Bohemia. Following a subsequent war that I was not involved in Hungary sold me Memel and Warmia so I have a rather strangely shaped pseudo-Prussia-Germany that stretches up the Baltic.

Russia has formed and has an enormous army, Poland and Lithuania are on their last legs, the Ottomans / Crimea have almost pushed through Lithuania to the Baltic Coast, Ukraine is a Russian Vassal (seems fitting). In the north Sweden has become a super power and is allied with Great Britain. France has blobbed right up to the HRE borders and pushed into Spain. Managed to form an alliance with France for the moment. So I'm just into the 1600s and Europe has become a stalemate, the next war that kicks off is going to drag a lot of large nations in.

My plan was to slowly annex the remaining HRE princes until the only ones remaining are the Electors and my Vassals, so hopefully start passing through some reforms, but it seems every little OPM left in the HRE is allied with one of the big boys.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I wouldn't suggest annexing HRE nations to pass reforms, that'll never work. Like, literally never. Just keep increasing your Imperial Authority naturally and send diplomats to suck up to princes as you go. IA increases princes' desire to vote for reforms, and there's very little that you can do that +125 relations from a gift and improved relations won't fix enough for enough people to vote for you.

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003
The HRE doesn't cease to exist if it's solely myself and my vassalised electors though right? The issue is that there's limited ways to gain IA in this setup?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

It doesn't cease to exist, no, but if it's just you and your vassals, there's no point in actually being in the HRE. The point of the HRE is to get to the reform where every prince is your vassal without costing diplomatic relations, because 40 OPMs have several times the military presence than one 40-province nation has.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

If you're not in Ironman, I'd suggest releasing your vassals and then creating as many HRE vassals as possible to boost your IA. It was the kind of gamey way that I powered through the last couple reforms as Brandenberg->Prussia->Germany in EU3 and I think it should still work in EU4.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
The HRE will only cease to exist if: there's only one member (i.e. you annex everyone else), or it's disbanded by someone outside the Empire using the button. So if it's just you and your vassal electors then you could just annex the electors I guess, but you you may as well keep the bonuses from the reforms that have passed -- like an extra diplomat, if memory serves, after the 2nd or 3rd, or even just a tiny bit of prestige.

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003
I am playing Ironman, I could still release / re-annex Vassals to improve IA though.. I think.

I guess I'm just trying to work out next steps for the game, I'm not quite big enough to take on the major powers just yet, but expansion will be tricky without bringing them down on me.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

unicr0n posted:

The HRE doesn't cease to exist if it's solely myself and my vassalised electors though right? The issue is that there's limited ways to gain IA in this setup?

Also Imperial Integrity requires like 25 nations in the HRE, and it's pretty clutch.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
My recently-formed Hindustani colonial Mexico:

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

unicr0n posted:

I am playing Ironman, I could still release / re-annex Vassals to improve IA though.. I think.

I guess I'm just trying to work out next steps for the game, I'm not quite big enough to take on the major powers just yet, but expansion will be tricky without bringing them down on me.
Vassalizing electors is a good way to become emperor, only other electors are less likely to vote for you, not really a problem if you have the majority.
However annexing vassals in HRE is a bad idea for reforming - all other members will hate you and won't support reforms. Good ways to expand and not get hated is taking territory on the side and adding it to empire when you're the emperor. And if you get into war with other HRE members always force them to release as many other HRE nations as possible instead of just taking their lands - no aggressive expansion, free imperial authority AND voters that love you.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Kersch posted:

Finally a proper West Indies. Just slightly off target.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

unicr0n posted:

The real secret to that approach isn't that you've cheesed the game for IA, it's that you've released enough vassals to pass the reforms over the objections of the guys who hate you. You might have 10 states that hate your guts, but if you can whip up 11 OPMs then you have a majority of votes in the Empire and that's all you need until the free vassals reform.

(You could, of course, re-annex and release as the relations bonus for releasing them fades away, but they'll probably still like you enough if you just keep relations up. You can get to the hereditary HRE this way and then un-vassal the electors if you're really afraid of losing the crown.)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Kersch posted:

See? Columbus knew what he was doing, cut him some slack.

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003

FadingChord posted:

The real secret to that approach isn't that you've cheesed the game for IA, it's that you've released enough vassals to pass the reforms over the objections of the guys who hate you. You might have 10 states that hate your guts, but if you can whip up 11 OPMs then you have a majority of votes in the Empire and that's all you need until the free vassals reform.

Ok so that makes a lot of sense, because the current reform is about 8 for, 22 against and I'm having a hard time getting is passed.
Also France is just getting bigger and bigger, but I've just secured alliances with Spain and Great Britain so I'm hoping I can start carving up France soon.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

unicr0n posted:

Ok so that makes a lot of sense, because the current reform is about 8 for, 22 against and I'm having a hard time getting is passed.
Also France is just getting bigger and bigger, but I've just secured alliances with Spain and Great Britain so I'm hoping I can start carving up France soon.

If you mouse over a country's shield at the bottom of the hre window, you'll see the reasons for their attitude towards reforms. Overextension generates a pretty massive penalty, so if you have any OE, it may be worth delaying an imperial liberation war or conversion until the OE is gone instead of overcoming it with more IA.

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003

Vodos posted:

If you mouse over a country's shield at the bottom of the hre window, you'll see the reasons for their attitude towards reforms. Overextension generates a pretty massive penalty, so if you have any OE, it may be worth delaying an imperial liberation war or conversion until the OE is gone instead of overcoming it with more IA.

Yeah so the majority are Heretic Religion (Protestant German Emperor leading a bunch of Catholic Princes) and Emperor is not Hannovian/Rheinlander/etc. There's also a significant level of Opinion of Emperor, with those countries all sitting at -100 to -200 opinion of me.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Somebody did an old timey map of one of the MP games I'm in. The borders in this one are (mostly, there's a few disgusting parts) too pretty not to post.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Trujillo posted:

Somebody did an old timey map of one of the MP games I'm in. The borders in this one are (mostly, there's a few disgusting parts) too pretty not to post.

I really need some sort of narrative to go along with these beautiful pictures.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Poil posted:

Finally a proper West Indies. Just slightly off target.

Except that would be the East Indies.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

I think you'll find that the game is called Europa universalis

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Fister Roboto posted:

What kind of hat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13RhSc-DaOI&t=69s

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

It's further to the west than it is to the east, silly.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Finally playing a game since picking up Conquest of Paradise. Any tips on how to start as Castille? Someone in this thread mentioned quickly reducing and vasselizing Portugal, but doing so always seems to deplete my manpower making defending Navarre from Aragon or actually waging the reconquista impossible.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Use mercenaries as much as possible, they don't deplete manpower.

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?

Soylent Pudding posted:

Finally playing a game since picking up Conquest of Paradise. Any tips on how to start as Castille? Someone in this thread mentioned quickly reducing and vasselizing Portugal, but doing so always seems to deplete my manpower making defending Navarre from Aragon or actually waging the reconquista impossible.

You can always deal with that later. If you don't deal with Portugal immediately, you'll spend the rest of the game competing with them for colonies. They'll pop up everywhere.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
You want Portugal dead or vassalized early on to control their colonies or prevent them from getting them. It's a better expansion path than Aragon because you should wait and see if the Iberian Wedding event fires.

Granada can also be a good vassal as they take exploration fairly often in my games.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Is there any point in claiming the throne of a country with a weak heir, where your dynasty doesn't rule? Those still show up in the Disputed Succession alert.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Darth Windu posted:

I really need some sort of narrative to go along with these beautiful pictures.

It started off with a Europe packed to the rafters. Player countries that got eliminated: Aragon, Brittany, Brandenburg, Venice, Savoy, Poland, Lithuania, Mamlukes, Switzerland (formerly me), Hansa, Bohemia, Muscovy, Norway, Teutonic Order, and probably more I can't even think of.

Ottomans are the strongest country, after having beaten Poland, Lithuania, Hungary, Austria, Venice, and the Mamelukes all at the same time on multiple occasions. The Ottoman units are so strong in the early game, coupled with him getting huge morale and the coalition against him being very disorganized meant he took advantage early and now most of the former coalition against him is dead and Austria is helping him split Tuscany.

Austria had been the emperor for most of the game until a few sessions ago. He was a real bastard man who only used the emperorship to suit his own purposes and expand within the empire. As Switzerland I tried to warn the other HRE members against trusting him and then they helped him take all of my lands that weren't the natural Swiss borders because they were all his bitch. Then he did one betrayal too many and they voted for Bavaria then Prussia. There was something about him selling out Hungary to the Ottomans that made everyone see him for what he is, and the fact that he stabbed Tuscany in the back three times but Tuscany was stupid for trusting Austria three times after I warned him before the first time that he's a bastard man. Now he's in a war against the Empire and France, and it's a stalemate in the Alps. It probably won't be a stalemate once the war with Sweden ends and Denmark, Prussia and Friesland wheel their armies back around.

France is still a super power even though they haven't expanded very much. They haven't expanded outside of France much because they're allied with the Netherlands and every time they would try to push into Italy half the world would help Austria push them back. I was fighting alongside France in one war to get my territory back from Austria and Bavaria and we were winning fight after fight against all the rest of the HRE, Poland, Hungary, and more until the Ottomans decided to show up too and that's when I gave up on Switzerland. People still see France as the BBB that needs to be stopped at all costs as a holdover from eu3.

The other superpower is Morocco. A huge naval forcelimit, a huge fleet, and pretty defensible. He's managed to colonize a lot of Indonesia and I think he's going for Japan. They've gotten involved in a few player wars but have been flying under the radar gathering strength for the most part. Crimea also did a good job managing to survive in the face of Polish/Lithuanian aggression having reformed and westernized quicker than they expected and is now exploding onto the steppes.

It's interesting in these games to see a HRE that acts together. A bunch of smaller players working together to advance everyone else in the empire. I would've stuck around as Switzerland but It'd be too boring for me just sitting the whole game with the same ~5-10 provinces so when colonial nations opened up I packed my bags for Vinland. Vinland was just a few provinces at the time and a colony of Denmark, the weakest colonizer but I've grown it to be the richest colony and now Denmark is retaking territory lost to Sweden at the start of the game, with the help of Friesland and Baby Russia. I supplied Denmark with huge amounts of ducats so they could build a fleet to wipe out Sweden's at the start of the war in exchange for my independence. I'll still be sending him subsidies in the place of tariffs for helping me grow Vinland with his colonists but I desperately need to get out of the colonial government so I can catch up in tech.

When I establish the Kingdom of Vinland I plan on trying to establish an Viking-American hegemony starting with Free Louisiana. I tried to get along with him. It's a player, and I saw him as an eventual ally, but during this war against Sweden he allowed the Spanish colonial armies military access to get to me and they caught me by surprise so I'm going to turn his governor into a blood angel.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 6, 2014

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

My royal marriages keep breaking, everytime when the rules dies. What the gently caress? :argh:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So I'm running an observer game in the background and just realized that Crimea leads personal unions with Timurids (who own most of Persia and Central Asia), Oirat Horde (who conquered much of the Mongol Khanate), Nogai and the Ottomans.. I wonder what this will lead to. Also Muscovy is pretty small, having lost much of their territory early I think. There's not really any credible threat to them in the area at all.

Just checked back after going to dinner. Crimea has inherited Nogai, colonization is going pretty slow in the new world and then there is this thing

Westernized, Protestant Aztecs...

Also this

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 7, 2014

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

grancheater posted:

Is there any point in claiming the throne of a country with a weak heir, where your dynasty doesn't rule? Those still show up in the Disputed Succession alert.

Not really. Unless the weak heir dies and the monarch dies heirless, you won't get anything out of it--but that could happen with a strong heir just the same.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
I'm considering starting up a game as Muscovy now that I've more or less covered most of the basics in my Castile game. Any advice apart from curbstomp Novgorod early and often (I assume)? What sort of ideas should I take on?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I've formed the Mughals now, but do the claims on India only last 25 years? I remember a big discussion about this some time ago, but people reported mixed results of only having them for 25 years and others having them renewed after 25 years.

e: I thought this was funny.

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Poil posted:

My royal marriages keep breaking, everytime when the rules dies. What the gently caress? :argh:

I'm not sure what people consider royal marriages to be?

Do you think people just kept chugging countless children into royal marriages without considering to marry some other family for 400+ years?

• Locked thread