Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

Oh wow, the thread got stickied.

So there's around five episodes left, and we've still got to fit in the Crossbone Kai, Miss Sazabi, Exia Dark Matter, Perfect Gundam, possibly an upgrade for the Build Strike (though the odds are looking lower by the episode), and cameos of the Wing Zero and Turn A. They can probably work in most of the BF stuff in the next episode (I totally expect to see the Perfect Gundam get trashed by Exia Dark Matter to establish it as a threat), but I'm curious how they'll work in the cameos. We're no longer at the point where we can just have random competitors use the HG of the month, so they're going to have get creative.

Though it'd mean the Turn A not getting a chance to shine, I'd love it if the show ends the exact same way it begins with Sei gushing over the HG Wing Zero to an overwhelmed customer. :allears: Sazaki, of course, is in the background.

Just out of curiosity, where are you getting that list of cameos Gundams from? And the Perfect Gundam seems pretty obvious - You don't think Sei's Dad is still using a basic RX-78-02 after all this time, do you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I can't tell if you're joking or not.

All Gundam Release Schedule posted:

1. Wing Gundam

quote:

2. Double X Gundam

quote:

3. Victory Gundam

quote:

4. F91 Gundam

quote:

5. Victory Two Gundam

quote:

6. Aile Strike Gundam

quote:

7. Wing Zero Gundam
8. Turn A Gundam

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I wasn't, just didn't notice the pattern :doh:. For the others, if we assume Crossbone is Mao's just so he's doing something in the final few episodes, there'll probably some big showdown for the others to deal with while Reiji and Sei are facing off in the grand championship. Maybe one final job pulled by the Gunpla Mafia or something that they have to deal with while the/a big match is going. :shrug:.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The chairman goes nuts and dumps every computer-controlled model they have into the middle of Yuuki and the Build Team's final match.

Bam, everyone gets to contribute, and they can go nuts with one final round of cameos.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Mar 7, 2014

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I fully expect one of two scenario's:
- Sei+Reiji beat YuukiMeijin Kawaguchi the third, but the chairman pulls a dickmove and there is a final challenger (him) that they have to beat to get their prize. It's a super unfair match so everybody joins in on the action.

- During the final round the chairman seizes the match, claims the dark matter and makes Yuuki fight with it, he refuses and goes back to his zaku. The entire cast takes on the chairman. Sei+Reji are crowned honorary champion and we close the show on Reji departing, but before he does yuuki challenges him to a final 1on1.

These shows aren't hard to predict, doesn't mean GBF isn't awesome though. :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zedd posted:

I fully expect one of two scenario's:
- Sei+Reiji beat YuukiMeijin Kawaguchi the third, but the chairman pulls a dickmove and there is a final challenger (him) that they have to beat to get their prize. It's a super unfair match so everybody joins in on the action.

- During the final round the chairman seizes the match, claims the dark matter and makes Yuuki fight with it, he refuses and goes back to his zaku. The entire cast takes on the chairman. Sei+Reji are crowned honorary champion and we close the show on Reji departing, but before he does yuuki challenges him to a final 1on1.

These shows aren't hard to predict, doesn't mean GBF isn't awesome though. :v:

You gotta remember it's a marketing vehicle though, and the big final fight doesn't exactly let them go "look at this kit just now on store shelves! It's badass, buy it you little shits!". They'll just do something to pit the Crossbone and Sazabi against the Wing and Turn A, and call it a day.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

True, maybe Exia is supported by an army of firecracker-loaded Leo's to explode real good.

Giant Enemy Cliche
Oct 10, 2012

"It was then that an ominous man stood beside me with a face of ill portent."
I would have loved to see the Turn A and Turn X have an episode. Plavsky Moonlight Butterfly causing chaos.

A man-child can dream :allears:

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007
The Mejin's next Gundam - the ∀mazing.

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012

FrantzX posted:

The Mejin's next Gundam - the ∀mazing.

The Mejin turns-Amazing gundam

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Weird, I enjoyed most of GBF but the positive reception towards the "Psychic Girl forced to pilot robot" plotline baffles me.

It kind of felt like the same drama that I was already tired of because it's so overused in the Gundam franchise... but it's not something like say, the "Mafia hitman who enters the tournament illegally through an outside terminal to sabotage the main characters in-game rather than Golgo 13'ing them with a sniper rifle" where its played so over the top to be silly humor. It felt like a drama arc in an actual "tournament" Anime.

I think just the juxtaposition in this case doesn't work for humour: it's like if you wrote the Mafia episode that I mentioned except the hitman takes a bat to Sei and Reiji's kneecaps but then realizes that being a hitman is mean at the end. It would still be an overreaction to a silly children's card game battle simulator but not very funny.

About the only thing I liked is the resolution, where said psychic girl actually took the time and realize that if piloting is causing you so much misery maybe you should just either not pilot or do it only on your own terms.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Davzz posted:

Weird, I enjoyed most of GBF but the positive reception towards the "Psychic Girl forced to pilot robot" plotline baffles me.

Because the show spent time establishing the two characters and the drama between them. Then it proceeded to flip a tired old trope of the Gundam franchise to give everyone a warm and fuzzy happy ending.

Every preceding fight had a large dramatic component to it. That's the entire message of the show even! All of the drama revolves around plastic toys. The fight with Fellini leaned heavily on his relationship with his plastic robot to create drama. Mao's internal conflict about the need to win the tournament and the desire to put together plastic toys. Almost any time there is drama in the show you can point to a piece of plastic that is the root of it.

It's just a game, that's why everyone can be friends with each other and enjoy their time together when they are not breaking each others plastic toys into bits.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Davzz posted:

About the only thing I liked is the resolution, where said psychic girl actually took the time and realize that if piloting is causing you so much misery maybe you should just either not pilot or do it only on your own terms.

I have a feeling that is what a lot of folks liked about it, as opposed to a drawn out 'oh drat we have to fight now, how miserable!' situation. It's a cute subversion of what we expect of Gundam at this point, but it's not deep romance or anything.

After playing Full Boost some more last night, I am disappointed in this show's lack of Crossbone X3 and log tossing. Or the Blue Destiny chucking HG GMs at folks.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

chumbler posted:

And 2) What type of beer is SUPER FLY (I'm thinking a pale ale)

quote:

and where can I get some?

Japan.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Asahi is sold in a lot of sushi places, unless your city hates sushi (I have about 3 within 6 miles of each other).

Caros
May 14, 2008

So who else thinks this episode will be A Meijin?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Episode's up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca5S9MQc6lc

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I couldn't have asked for a better "Aila is now part of Sei's room team now"scene. :allears:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Well, this sure was a filler episode. Shades of Star Build Strike vs Gundam X Maoh here. I'm actually surprised that this show, with all of its painstaking attention and care taken to establishing characters, would pull such a rush-job introducing the new guy and trying to big him up into a threat worthy of Yuuki. It was a pretty okay fight though and I'm really glad to see an F91 get some spotlight since it's one of my favorite mobile suit designs ever.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kanos posted:

Well, this sure was a filler episode. Shades of Star Build Strike vs Gundam X Maoh here. I'm actually surprised that this show, with all of its painstaking attention and care taken to establishing characters, would pull such a rush-job introducing the new guy and trying to big him up into a threat worthy of Yuuki. It was a pretty okay fight though and I'm really glad to see an F91 get some spotlight since it's one of my favorite mobile suit designs ever.

Yeah, it really was. And the next one's going to be filler as well, by the looks of it. Is it just me, or is it starting to look like Ramba Ral's the Second Meijin? Also looks like I was wrong about the Crossbone, because there's the X-Maoh alive and well. Kinda.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Like a minute in: a British guy made it to the top 8!? Haha! Don't places like Argentina and Italy have strong Gunpla communities and big competitions? The UK has pretty much nothing but a handful of costly importers.

Edit: Two minutes. And now he's dead, makes sense with the previews.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Mar 10, 2014

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

Like a minute in: a British guy made it to the top 8!? Haha! Pretty sure places like Argentina and Italy have strong Gunpla communities and big competitions, the UK has pretty much nothing but a handful of costly importers.

Edit: Two minutes. And now he's dead, makes sense with the previews.

Keep watching. My favourite part of the episode, honestly.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Pureauthor posted:

Keep watching. My favourite part of the episode, honestly.

Hm? Okay, wasn't going to. :|

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I liked this episode, even if it was a bit fillery. Aila's sudden chipper demeanor kind of threw me for a loop, but the rest of the episode was pretty entertaining. I'm kind of surprised that they changed out the Amazing of all things, but it lead to a pretty entertaining battle if nothing else. At least the F91 and the Exia got to shine, though the continued absurdity of giving some of these crazy special effects justification through the Gunpla building ("It moves so fast the paint peels off!") gets more and more hilarious with each episode.

All told, a really fun episode.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Monathin posted:

I liked this episode, even if it was a bit fillery. Aila's sudden chipper demeanor kind of threw me for a loop, but the rest of the episode was pretty entertaining. I'm kind of surprised that they changed out the Amazing of all things, but it lead to a pretty entertaining battle if nothing else. At least the F91 and the Exia got to shine, though the continued absurdity of giving some of these crazy special effects justification through the Gunpla building ("It moves so fast the paint peels off!") gets more and more hilarious with each episode.

I wasn't sure whether Sei was talking in-universe or out-of-universe there. Because that's literally how the F91's afterimages work.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

I wasn't sure whether Sei was talking in-universe or out-of-universe there. Because that's literally how the F91's afterimages work.

I think it's both, they took the explanation of how the UC F91 works and modified it to work in the context of Gunpla Battle. They seemed to do the same with "Amazing Exia's" Trans-Am, saying that it produces "more particles", which in 00 would have been GN particles, but here we can assume means Plavsky Particles.

Also liked how Exia becomes Amazing Exia and not Exia Amazing, might be a bit of a reference to the inconsistency of Gundam naming in 00.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Darth Walrus posted:

Oh, I didn't know that because I'm basically Gundam blind :downs:, if that's how it actually works then I can just chock it up to 'simulation of canon effects' like the Satellite Cannon and the Trans-AM.

E: also a bit of theorizing, now that we know that Reiji's gem is a Plavsky Crystal, what are the odds that we get one last Build Strike upgrade incorporating it into the design? I've been wondering if that'd end up being a thing since the first handful of episodes. I mean, it seems the right size to be slotted in as some sort of torso piece.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 10, 2014

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

The real explanation is a layer of F91's armor peels off to create after images with mass, so Sei was applying that to Gunpla by making it paint.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Monathin posted:

Oh, I didn't know that because I'm basically Gundam blind :downs:, if that's how it actually works then I can just chock it up to 'simulation of canon effects' like the Satellite Cannon and the Trans-AM.

E: also a bit of theorizing, now that we know that Reiji's gem is a Plavsky Crystal, what are the odds that we get one last Build Strike upgrade incorporating it into the design? I've been wondering if that'd end up being a thing since the first handful of episodes. I mean, it seems the right size to be slotted in as some sort of torso piece.

Since this show is shonen as hell, we're probably getting a last second upgrade to the Star Build Strike, probably involving Nils' research. That's still at least 2 episodes off so who knows what kinda craziness awaits us in the meantime.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Monathin posted:

I liked this episode, even if it was a bit fillery. Aila's sudden chipper demeanor kind of threw me for a loop

I don't think it's sudden since that was the entire point of the turn/development of the last episode.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Another budget episode. Once again they picked good suits for it though. Seeing Exia's lazy as gently caress Trans-Am sliding again was hilarious.

EDIT: Ahahahahaha the preview. I guess in the world of BF, all of the tragic romances had a happy ending.

Next episode might also be the one to finally advance Sei's character arc too. Also finally give the mkII a chance to do something cool.

EDIT 2: Holy poo poo is that Cecily and Iron Mask? :allears:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 10, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Yeah, and isn't that great. Kai looks so happy :unsmith: A bit peeved that he's got a Jim and not a motherfucking Guncannon.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Still no Bernie and Chris. This is bullshit.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Next episode is pretty much going to be cameo nirvana, so I expect to see them pop up too.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

A bit peeved that he's got a Jim and not a motherfucking Guncannon.

He's like Ral and already has every single Guncannon model at home. Gotta branch out one of these days. :colbert:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

BlitzBlast posted:

Another budget episode. Once again they picked good suits for it though. Seeing Exia's lazy as gently caress Trans-Am sliding again was hilarious.

EDIT: Ahahahahaha the preview. I guess in the world of BF, all of the tragic romances had a happy ending.

Next episode might also be the one to finally advance Sei's character arc too. Also finally give the mkII a chance to do something cool.

EDIT 2: Holy poo poo is that Cecily and Iron Mask? :allears:

Truly this is Gundam Valhalla.

I like how even Alia couldn't take Reiji's story seriously. And he's still all "But it's true! Oh whatever."

The fight was pretty neat too, even if it did kinda go full Zwee Fighting for a bit.

Caros
May 14, 2008

I'm kind of surprised that they didn't just tie this guy into the Build Fighters Amazing manga they have going. If you're going to introduce a one shot with a bunch of offscreen backstory to Yuuki, it would've made a little more sense to do it that way wouldn't it?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I am making a pretty much baseless claim, but I'm convinced that it'll turn out the Chairman was the second mejin.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

While the first half of the episode was great, the second half sucks because the other Meijin candidate was not Patrick Mannequin and that is unforgivable. :colbert:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Monaghan posted:

I am making a pretty much baseless claim, but I'm convinced that it'll turn out the Chairman was the second mejin.

Maybe. Either way, the Second Meijin was apparently a ruthless individual who wore black with a flowing red scarf. Like some Super Robot Hero/Villian. I wonder if Dark Matter Exia is meant for Meijin the 2nd? Its not really equipped in the way Yuuki/Meijin the 3rd prefers (and seems to lack the equipment Yuuki has installed on his "80% complete" version). Granted Yuuki wears black too, but hey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Maybe. Either way, the Second Meijin was apparently a ruthless individual who wore black with a flowing red scarf. Like some Super Robot Hero/Villian. I wonder if Dark Matter Exia is meant for Meijin the 2nd? Its not really equipped in the way Yuuki/Meijin the 3rd prefers. Granted Yuuki wears black too, but hey.

Yuuki wears the PPSE shade of Dark Blue, not black.

• Locked thread