Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Here are a few excerpts from the interview with Arino in the movie program

Interviewer - Your popularity overseas has been amazing in recent years, hasn't it?
Arino - I really enjoy filming overseas. In both Los Angeles and France, everyone chants "Kacho! Kacho!". I'm never gonna get a promotion now (laughs). I'd at least like to make division manager.

Interviewer - Being famous worldwide, do you think the show can continue for another ten or twenty years?
Arino - I don't think so, but as long as there are games, I think we can keep going. It's really up to (Company) President Kan. It's kind of scary, the other day when I was cleaning up, I found the letter he put in the Wii they gave me as a present. It said "In ten years, I expect you to challenge these as retro games, so take care of them." That "ten years later" for the Wii isn't too far off! (laughs).

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Mar 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Kakaricho posted:

That "ten years later" for the Wii isn't too far off! (laughs).

...aaaand now I feel old.

retromonk
Nov 5, 2009

Verveces tui similes pro ientaculo mihi appositi sunt
I'm very happy for you, zari-gani.

Thank you for your hard work. *bow*

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Two things:

- Kibe's book is selling so well that it got a second printing, which is pretty rare for first time novelists.

- Another interesting quote from the movie program, from the interview with Kan:
"One of big reasons we wanted to do a movie was so we could take it overseas. I think that if we can give the opportunity for a lot of people to see it at film festivals and the like, it'll be connected to our next big development."

It looks like they're trying hard to get it into film festivals, so don't give up if you're overseas and want to see it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Considering it ends with someone crying bitterly, I'm sure it'll be a big hit with all the American film festivals :v:

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012

Kakaricho posted:

Two things:

- Kibe's book is selling so well that it got a second printing, which is pretty rare for first time novelists.

- Another interesting quote from the movie program, from the interview with Kan:
"One of big reasons we wanted to do a movie was so we could take it overseas. I think that if we can give the opportunity for a lot of people to see it at film festivals and the like, it'll be connected to our next big development."

It looks like they're trying hard to get it into film festivals, so don't give up if you're overseas and want to see it.

"Chief... for this challenge, in order to see the true ending..."
"Yes?"
"you must win the Palme d'Or at Cannes."
"...I see. I will do my best."

WesY2K
Mar 26, 2013
Abe: "He will mess up again at the crushial moment, right?"

Snowman95
Nov 25, 2004
So all the AllUviOn.org links seem to be down

Is there somewhere else I can see the episodes?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Snowman95 posted:

So all the AllUviOn.org links seem to be down

Is there somewhere else I can see the episodes?

SA-GCCX.com has all of the info you need to keep in touch with the series!

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
That site should definitely go at the top of the OP.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
This thread is 450 pages long, just make a new one.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Tangentially related to this thread is this awesome shirt zari-gani designed featuring speedrunner sinister1, perhaps most prominently known as the guy who reached Mike Tyson while blindfolded at the recent Awesome Games Done Quick 2014 marathon: https://theyetee.com/shop/detail.php?itemid=Sinister1

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
It's a pretty great shirt.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Yumis Odd Odysee, the newest Umihara Kawase, is coming to North America on the 20th! Now you too can feel just like Inoko Max!

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Gutcruncher posted:

Yumis Odd Odysee, the newest Umihara Kawase, is coming to North America on the 20th! Now you too can feel just like Inoko Max!

Inoko MAX is my hero. What? Why are you looking at me like that?

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

I'm travelling for work, so I missed the new episode, but I read two things on Twitter:

- Matsui is finished as Arino's helper AD with the end of Season 17.

- The DVD of the Budokan event will be released on July 2nd.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

Got a technical question. Any reason why the episodes are encoded with DivX 5? Not really the best idea to use a 12 year old codec on HD video. I'm kinda surprised since the subs are top notch. It would be nice if these eps were smaller than close to a gig each and if they didn't have video errors like this popping up fairly often:

It's cool if you wanna stick with VirtualDub if it keeps things simple and you're comfortable with it, but encoding with at least something like XviD would be preferable.

Edit: Now I've noticed that some use XviD and some don't? Strange...

MEAT! fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Mar 7, 2014

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

MEAT! posted:

Got a technical question. Any reason why the episodes are encoded with DivX 5? Not really the best idea to use a 12 year old codec on HD video. I'm kinda surprised since the subs are top notch. It would be nice if these eps were smaller than close to a gig each and if they didn't have video errors like this popping up fairly often:

It's cool if you wanna stick with VirtualDub if it keeps things simple and you're comfortable with it, but encoding with at least something like XviD would be preferable.

Edit: Now I've noticed that some use XviD and some don't? Strange...

Both of these are from the same episode and it was noted that the original raw for that episode included some encoding glitches; they couldn't find a better raw to work with. Either way, outside of that isolated incident I haven't had any problems (so "fairly often" is a huge overstatement imho) and I like the quality of the 1GB files. I don't know if you've noticed but the new episodes are 720p and for an hour of video, 1GB is a completely reasonable size.

As for the different codecs being used, I'm pretty sure they just keep whatever format the raw had, but I am not certain.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

Katana Gomai posted:

Both of these are from the same episode and it was noted that the original raw for that episode included some encoding glitches; they couldn't find a better raw to work with. Either way, outside of that isolated incident I haven't had any problems (so "fairly often" is a huge overstatement imho) and I like the quality of the 1GB files. I don't know if you've noticed but the new episodes are 720p and for an hour of video, 1GB is a completely reasonable size.

As for the different codecs being used, I'm pretty sure they just keep whatever format the raw had, but I am not certain.

I meant fairly often in the same video, sorry.

They're not keeping the raws since the subtitles are hard subbed, which requires an additional encode. If the raws they're using are the ones on nyaa, they're all very high quality transport streams, so they're shouldn't be any problems from the source. 1 GB for an hour isn't really amazing when the footage is either an NES game or from a camcorder.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

RadicalR posted:

Inoko MAX is my hero. What? Why are you looking at me like that?
After helping Arino conquer the Mighty Bomb Jack live challenge, Inoko MAX should be everyone's underdog hero. :colbert:

Speaking of which, I rewatched the Takeshi's Challenge live challenge video and I think that Inoko MAX overdoing everything (especially over-singing karaoke and trying to imitate Beat Takeshi to the point of annoying Arino and Kan) made that challenge a lot funnier than it would've been (not that it was a bad challenge). I know a lot of people didn't like his look and personality/attitude during that challenge, but I thought it was brilliant. Although, part of me is happy that he went back to his old look and clumsy ways since I could imagine getting annoyed by him after a while. :)

Obeast fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Mar 7, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

MEAT! posted:

They're not keeping the raws since the subtitles are hard subbed, which requires an additional encode. If the raws they're using are the ones on nyaa, they're all very high quality transport streams, so they're shouldn't be any problems from the source. 1 GB for an hour isn't really amazing when the footage is either an NES game or from a camcorder.

About 2/3rds of the TS raws on Nyaa aren't being seeded; I've been sitting on them for months with no movement (and other stuff downloads fine so it's not my setup). Some episodes and seasons have extremely poor sources and there isn't much we can do about that, although not for lack of trying.

There's actually a lot of subtle gradients that happen in the NES game signal used on the show because they're capturing from composite with a lot of noise and imperfections, which seriously fucks with the bitrate.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

univbee posted:

About 2/3rds of the TS raws on Nyaa aren't being seeded; I've been sitting on them for months with no movement (and other stuff downloads fine so it's not my setup). Some episodes and seasons have extremely poor sources and there isn't much we can do about that, although not for lack of trying.

There's actually a lot of subtle gradients that happen in the NES game signal used on the show because they're capturing from composite with a lot of noise and imperfections, which seriously fucks with the bitrate.

I guess you guys are getting your raws from GCCX Raws then? If so, let me take the Tom Sawyer episode as an example then. Their 720p 60fps(wtf?!) x264 encode is 615.2 MB. Your DivX 5 re-encode is 818 MB. 200 MB extra for worse quality sucks. Is there any reason why you guys don't just mux in the subtitle file in the .MKV and just release it like that?

Edit: Now that I'm looking through this page, you really could just melt down these filesizes if you changed the insane framerate. 60 fps bloats these up to hell.

MEAT! fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 7, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

MEAT! posted:

I guess you guys are getting your raws from GCCX Raws then? If so, let me take the Tom Sawyer episode as an example then. Their 720p 60fps(wtf?!) x264 encode is 615.2 MB. Your DivX 5 re-encode is 818 MB. 200 MB extra for worse quality sucks. Is there any reason why you guys don't just mux in the subtitle file in the .MKV and just release it like that?

Edit: Now that I'm looking through this page, you really could just melt down these filesizes if you changed the insane framerate. 60 fps bloats these up to hell.

That kind of thing breaks on a lot of people's setups and we end up instead with a huge glut of support-related inquiries, mainly; not everyone is watching these on a PC. We are investigating a few possibilities, though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

As mentioned, those were all errors in the master video. And FWIW, the masters we've had lately have all been encoded with a fairly low bit-rate. Beggers can't be choosers, of course, and I'd love to point out the shots where the screen goes fuzzy as the camera pans and say, "That wasn't us!" but no one wants to read that.

I've been considering switching the codec but I'm extremely hesitant to change something that's working.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Why not try experimenting with smaller sized videos then? Grab a clip that's like a minute long and see what codecs work best?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

ChaosArgate posted:

Why not try experimenting with smaller sized videos then? Grab a clip that's like a minute long and see what codecs work best?

I'd rather the team spent their valuable and limited time on translating/timing/etc... Would 1080p h.264 MKVs be great? Sure. But so many of the raws are of such dubious quality to start with, I don't think it really matters.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ChaosArgate posted:

We're trying to streamline some things and have made some progress, but some software in the chain, and some of the source videos are janky as gently caress and it's frankly a miracle we get a watchable file at all some times. Some of the videos we've had to work with have crashed 90% of the software I've thrown at it.

univbee fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 7, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

There is an external factor here that we can't account for, even in the thread. One of our major goals is accessibility (which is why mkv's are not going to be used as the wrapper). Would switching formats be disruptive to how people watch and pass along the episodes. At this point, the effect would be minor but as I said I am really hesitant to chance something that's working.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Well I was thinking more you could use mp4 as the wrapper, to be honest.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Yeah, certainly low-profile h264 in mp4 is one of the safest bets possible today, but, hey, it works, so don't spend more effort than you feel like trying to change it :)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

Well I was thinking more you could use mp4 as the wrapper, to be honest.

I didn't think you were saying we should, mkv is just a related issue that comes up from time to time is all.

I hope I'm not coming across as hostile to the idea of switching codecs. We have been listening to these comments in the past and now. I'm willing to be convinced.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

MEAT! posted:

Their 720p 60fps(wtf?!) x264 encode is 615.2 MB.

Ah of course, they're at 59.94 fps, right. Makes sense now.

xamphear posted:

I'd rather the team spent their valuable and limited time on translating/timing/etc... Would 1080p h.264 MKVs be great? Sure. But so many of the raws are of such dubious quality to start with, I don't think it really matters.

I'm looking through the GCCX Raws blogspot and they've got tons of episodes at very high quality, like 720p tv raws and straight up full DVD rips. Translating, timing, and typesetting takes a poo poo ton of time and requires an actual team with the necessary skills to pull it off. Encoding takes one dude with notepad, an executable, and decent computer to run it while he does the dishes or something.

univbee posted:

We're trying to streamline some things and have made some progress, but some software in the chain, and some of the source videos are janky as gently caress and it's frankly a miracle we get a watchable file at all some times. Some of the videos we've had to work with have crashed 90% of the software I've thrown at it.

I don't know what software you're using, but that shouldn't happen.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

You should post your workflow for encoding, that might help us figure out how to streamline it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

MEAT! posted:

It shouldn't, but it does. I've had MKV's refuse to extract using any tools, including the official latest MKV tools, audio tracks with audio glitches that corrupt the rest of the track (they play fine until the glitch and then there's no more sound for the rest of the episode), well-regarded encoding software that just has no idea what is going on with a file and refuses to deal with it, and various similar issues because there is just some broken broken poo poo going on with some of the source files. This is with some of the most recent episodes, too.

MEAT! posted:

Encoding takes one dude with notepad, an executable, and decent computer to run it while he does the dishes or something.

Ordinarily yes, except every time there's a new episode it's like the encoders reinvent the wheel, so the encoding process has to be re-done from scratch every time. Some sources are 29.97fps, some are 59.94, tons of different codecs and resolutions, and individual episodes often have multiple sources so sometimes just figuring out which file to work from is a challenge unto itself (maybe one is better quality but there's a storm warning throughout the episode? Do we go with that one or a lower-quality one without those warnings?). And we have to decide on a source quickly because changing sources fucks with the timing. Some relatively recent episodes were only available in ASF format, which is a proprietary Microsoft video format that an insanely tiny number of programs (none of them free) can do anything with (partly because breaking ASF was seen as a DMCA violation, and partly because who the gently caress only has an ASF source to work with, right? :suicide:).

Can someone ask CtrlHD real nice if he'll start releasing GCCX episodes?

univbee fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 7, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MEAT! posted:

We're not the ones who encoded most of season 13 and all of season 14 in a proprietary Microsoft codec and wrapped them as asf files. I had to do strange, evil things to those episodes to get them to work.

The work flow isn't exactly complex since I know just enough about this stuff to be dangerous. We use two pass xvid encoding and set a bit rate according to the resolution and frame rate. We've been using higher res files with higher frame rates lately so the bit rate's been cranked up to compensate. I try to overshoot on the rate as well to minimize the amount of image degradation, though lately that's been less than it was in the past just because things were becoming unwieldy.

So the work flow is essentially, hit the magic button once, set the bit rate slider, hit the magic button again. :v:

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

univbee posted:

Some relatively recent episodes were only available in ASF format

I have literally not seen a .ASF video being passed around since the 90s. That's hosed up. I wouldn't even fuckin' bother since Microsoft MPEG-4 v3 is the oldest trash. That really blows my mind. But naw, you can totally work with it with free stuff.

Here's a random rear end dragonball episode I found in the deep end of a hard drive that I probably downloaded when I was like 11 or something.

Then you can load that into VirtualDub if you want or just encode straight from the script.

Goku... :ohdear:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Those guys look pretty angry.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Those guys look pretty angry.

The angriest. Always yelling.

Random Stranger posted:

I try to overshoot on the rate as well to minimize the amount of image degradation, though lately that's been less than it was in the past just because things were becoming unwieldy.

So the work flow is essentially, hit the magic button once, set the bit rate slider, hit the magic button again. :v:

:cripes: that's pretty bad guys. I'm surprised you've heard more people having problems with filetypes instead of people asking about the filesize.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Watching the season 17 finale, there's no formal parting with Matsui, so he might be around for a while yet.

Also, today (March 8th) is Inoue's birthday.

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

I like that I can play the SAGCCX releases on my computer or with my XBox using Plex and the files always just work, I don't have to computer janitor it into submission. Thanks, SAGCCX.