Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What race should goons play for PvP shenanigans?
This poll is closed.
Furry Dominion 352 27.24%
Orc Covenant 464 35.91%
Lizard Pact 476 36.84%
Total: 1292 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

I can't believe there are people still willing to play this.

It's you! You are really the monsters! you've been the monsters the whole time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

NOTHING LIKE HAVING THE BEST OEGAMIOM IN THE WORLD EVERYDAY!
Seems that most of the whining about TESO is from because who can't (to lazy) to read about the game expect it to be Skyrim and not an MMO.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
It is similar to that xcom game that was done in the 1950s and was a fps on rails. It isn't expected from the name.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Incursus posted:

Seems that most of the whining about TESO is from because who can't (to lazy) to read about the game expect it to be Skyrim and not an MMO.

I didn't like the game because it was boring.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
How big are the chances the Critical Charge skill will get hit by the nerfbat?

While using it, it felt like a spammable (endurance cost aside) "ranged" skill with insanely good damage with a built-in teleport to target (which sometimes didn't teleport due to bug, but the damage still happened).
I can already picture myself abusing the gently caress out of this as a 2H Sorc blinking around the battlefield with a combination the Charge and Streak abilities.

Also, what are the exact conditions for "increased damage hits"?

I know when hitting an 'incapacitated' target your base damage this highly increased. (incapacitated = stunned, disoriented, mezzed, ...). This increased damage hit can still crit on top of it.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Who knows, Bright Wizards were overpowered as gently caress for years...

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

peak debt posted:

Who knows, Bright Wizards were overpowered as gently caress for years...

If TESO was secretly a relaunch of Warhammer Online my sudden spike in interest in this game would physically manifest as a raging boner.

Orv
May 4, 2011

First Bass posted:

If TESO was secretly a relaunch of Warhammer Online my sudden spike in interest in this game would physically manifest as a raging boner.

:ssh: It is. PvP is WAR 2.0.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Orv posted:

:ssh: It is. PvP is WAR 2.0.

It's only shame we won't be able to wage war over this many battlefields: http://warhammer.gamepressure.com/maps.asp

Though you may only think the lakes were where fighting occurred if you played on an ORvR server the entire map was game for fighting and it produced some insane struggles when small to medium sized groups of players were plunged into enemy territory to complete their objectives.

It would add quite a bit if the map had dynamic objectives that were easier to complete versus just the keeps and resources. Objectives to capture towns in opposing territory would be one mechanic. Especially if it offered bonuses to the players questing in said town. Once you've hit a dungeon for the Skyshard there is little reason to travel into enemy territory to see it ever again.

The fact that the major struggles in Cyrodiil really consist of raids on questing towns which are likely not well defended, and gigantic zergs smashing each others faces together on 1-2 keeps isn't a lot of RvR depth like we saw in WAR. Going to be interesting to see guilds bickering with each other and competing for forts/resources in order to secure their ability to sell goods to each other. That's the only real depth I see in the PvP. Guilds had a far more vested interest in taking and defending keeps in WAR because it was their keep and they received benefits that actually mattered from it.

There need to be reasons for groups of 10-40 players to engage each other on the map. Judging by the last scroll run we saw during the past beta weekend it's going to be a zerg of 200+ people running with the scroll bearer. I'm guessing there would be much more depth and mechanics in place for the PvP if so much budget hadn't been spent on the PvE content. Again an MMO is lackluster in both platforms because it tried to be all things to all people. I would almost rather have them scrapped the PvP entirely than teased us. Ganking or rolling with the zerg will be fun for about two weeks which compared to the replayability of a PvP game like Arma II is not much. Even Darkfall has a huge PvE grind in place despite it being "The PvP MMO". "The PvP MMO" is a pipe dream.

First Bass posted:

If you think $60 is worth your money to experience a watered down mechanically but more polished technically version of WAR's launch then you should buy the game.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Mar 7, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011

Extra posted:

If you think $60 is worth your money to experience a watered down mechanically but more polished technically version of WAR's launch then you should buy the game.

All of your other points (where you can apparently see the future) aside, how is it watered down from WAR? It has the same mechanics except for the capture of keeps.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Orv posted:

All of your other points (where you can apparently see the future) aside, how is it watered down from WAR? It has the same mechanics except for the capture of keeps.

The only objectives in ESO are the following:

• Be in a group where 20 opposing players are killed
• Walk to a wide location on the map in enemy territory and wait for a timer to tick down
• Take a keep with a big fat zerg which consists of spamming attacks at a door
• Take a resource with a big fat zerg which consists of beating up some generic PvE mobs and shooting the healer mob first.
• Gank some helpless fools at the questing town because you're bored
• Make one tour of Cyrodiil to pick up all the Skyshards/Birthsigns

It's extremely shallow.

Also it's really idiotic to say that based on the current mechanics in place that it's impossible to infer player behavior based on past player behavior. "No no no ESO is different!" What a crock. Evidenced by your hyperbole that I'm "seeing the future" by making educated conclusions about how the ESO PvP will pan out based on the past two weekends of play. The PvP was an afterthought so that people could be shoved into a gigantic RvR lake and it would sell copies to the people holding on to the broken memories of games like DAoC and WAR.

It's literally a lake with some taxi/grind PvE quests, flags to capture (keeps), and some extra-generic linear tiny dungeons with mobs spawned in. Oh and some nerd gets crowned "The Emprah" when you capture X flags. All with a nice slimy coating of lag to make it unplayable. It's an insult to other MMOs to say ESO holds a light to games with a lot more time and effort put into creating intricate and detailed PvP systems.

I'm going to hit 50, beat some people up, have the Reknown Rank grind shoved in my face and everyone else's face who doesn't have the highest tier RR gear and quit the game. Just like WAR. The launch was worth the box price but the underlying mechanics aren't there. The fact that every player who doesn't rush to 50 is going to have the RR gear advantage shoved in their face will demoralize a ton of players. At least in WAR the high RR players couldn't show up to the lower level zones. In this game you're as squishy as a tomato from 10-50 if you choose to spend it in Cyrodiil. I was 3 shotting players at level 2X because ZO's idea of balancing scaled PvP is giving no one a way to increase their physical damage resistance but giving plenty of opportunities to increase spell resistance, mine hitting 2400 with Boundless Storm on. Your armor will never go over 700 until the mid 40s. If you can't manage to stack more than 700 armor via gear or abilities your armor stays at 700.

It's sad that we have to settle for ESO being the current best PvP experience in MMOs. If ESO is the best PvP the MMO genre has to offer then MMO PvP is dead. Games like GW2 and FFXIV support that notion.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Mar 7, 2014

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

You are exaggerating in a few spots.

Bishop01
Apr 27, 2007

Has you seen my bucket?!

What other mmo's had these amazingly well thought out and intricate pvp systems you reference in your post? Warhammer was only fun till about teir 3 and then it started to nose dive hard, well before the RR curve, abilities like pull and push started ruining the experience for everyone. I don't really know what to blame for the fact that the GW2 pvp in a lot of way just was not fun, especially RVR. The moves were flashy and the keeps were cool but... something was missing. ESO really brings me back to the days and style of DAoC if i was going to compare it to anything, which i could play for days ravaging people in RVR. Not overly flashy combat mechanics with room in the classes for free roam ganking/1v1. I know nothing about the gear situation end game but at least for the first month it's going to be 100% worth it. It reminds me a of a grittier game that is sound enough in the ways it needs to be to make PVP fun, the only issue they need to smooth out is the lag and from people's experiences they definitely played max player battles with no lag at times. So i am giving them the benefit of the doubt that last weekend was a stress test and they got a lot of valuable data. This game has some of the same traits that really the only two really successful open world PVP MMO's(UO and DAoC)had. You sound like you might just be burnt out of mmo pvp in general.
That said games like this usually don't have much retention in todays market, DAoC and UO if launched today would be the same way, The MEGA server with home cyrodiil ties but free roaming between servers functions as both a cool way to hopefully find a non lopsided fight whenever AND consolidation mechanic when player base starts to drop.

Bishop01 fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 7, 2014

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm probably going to PVP for an intense couple of weeks to get the Racial Kill achievements before the player count starts drying up. :v:

What were the rewards like in Cyrodil? I never really got a chance to explore.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Normal rewards for questing or exploring. Everything scaled to your level though. Just a lot less quests and a lot less stream lined.

The solo dungeons were the same way. They were a bit better in lay out than the solo dungeons in pve, except for being a bit harder due to level scaling. We got several items from bosses that seem to scale to your level. So the purple shoulders I got and someone else got are the same except stats due to level difference.

Other than that, every objective you capture and every so many kills you get give you a bag of random green, maybe blue, loot. Then you could go buy green or blue loot of certain armor or weapon types.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

Extra posted:

The only objectives in ESO are the following:

• Be in a group where 20 opposing players are killed
• Walk to a wide location on the map in enemy territory and wait for a timer to tick down
• Take a keep with a big fat zerg which consists of spamming attacks at a door
• Take a resource with a big fat zerg which consists of beating up some generic PvE mobs and shooting the healer mob first.
• Gank some helpless fools at the questing town because you're bored
• Make one tour of Cyrodiil to pick up all the Skyshards/Birthsigns

It's extremely shallow.

The only objectives in EVE are:
  • Fire lasers
  • Wait for skill points
  • Forum drama
It's extremely shallow.

... Right?

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
The main difference with EVE is that in EVE losing leads to consequences. Varying from Ship loss (could be cheap, could cost you hours/days/weeks of farming time) to Sovereignty loss of a whole region of space for your alliance (taking away resource generation and acces to space stations where possibly whole fleets of ships are stored).

In most other MMO's the worst that can happen from a loss is a tiny durability hit on your armor or constitution, resulting in a token amount of gold debt.
Relics/Elder Scrolls capture go a little further.

The thing is, up to now no game has managed to combine a successful formula for both PvP and PvE.
DaoC had great RvR, mediocre PvE, some crafting
WoW had great PvE, mediocre sPvP, lousy crafting
EvE has true PvP, lousy PvE, awesome crafting/trading/economics
Guildwars 2 has decent sPvP and WvWvW, decent PvE and reasonable crafting.

I know I am forgetting a large amount of games, but these are the games I generally compare any new MMO's to.

Upcoming we will also have Camelot Unchained. They are aiming for True RvR, Zero PvE with only exception the defense of the crafters who are gathering resources, and Great Crafting of Houses/Cities in area's that are accessible for plundering by opposing forces.

The fact is, pleasing the PvE and PvP crowd at the same time is extremely difficult. In fact the only way I have seen PvE minded players truly have fun in a PvP oriented game is in EVE online where they can keep busy with trading and crafting. PvE minded players usually also too risk averse and HATE getting ganked, so never put themselves in a place where a gank is possible.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Evernoob posted:

Relics/Elder Scrolls capture go a little further.

The fact that another faction has your elder scroll(s) has near 0 impact on your gameplay. Scrolls give a very inconsequential buff. Most players didn't care to even try to go that far into enemy territory to try and get it back. That and getting it back amounts to your same old PvDoor keep siege where the biggest zerg wins.

e: At least with Guild Wars 2 there's no sub.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 7, 2014

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Extra posted:

The fact that another faction has your elder scroll(s) has near 0 impact on your gameplay. Scrolls give a very inconsequential buff. Most players didn't care to even try to go that far into enemy territory to try and get it back. That and getting it back amounts to your same old PvDoor keep siege where the biggest zerg wins.

Sounds to me like a little espionage is the real way to go for the opposing Scroll. Isn't that what happened this weekend?

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

RFC2324 posted:

Sounds to me like a little espionage is the real way to go for the opposing Scroll. Isn't that what happened this weekend?

Ebonheart had a pretty big zerg against our faction in the Goon campaign but apparently there is a bug where you can use the Dragonknight chain to lift a player up on to the gate/wall choke point guarding passage to the scroll.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Extra posted:

Ebonheart had a pretty big zerg against our faction in the Goon campaign but apparently there is a bug where you can use the Dragonknight chain to lift a player up on to the gate/wall choke point guarding passage to the scroll.

I don't see how having a traitor in the defenders using his abilities in a way that surely was intended(pulling someone marked as an enemy to you) is a bug. Sounds like a mechanic to me.

I may have played too much EVE tho.

Rocketeer Korolev
Dec 22, 2008

Jealous? No? Go frak yourself, Smoothskin...

pertinent posted:

The only objectives in EVE are:
  • Fire lasers
  • Wait for skill points
  • Forum drama
It's extremely shallow.

... Right?

I remember reading about some of the Goon Swarm EVE Online drama. My favorite part is that they supposedly planned to have a girl charm an EVE developer into giving Goon Swarm some sort of in-game advantage.

Personally, I tried a 2 week trial of EVE Online and was bored in 2 hours. Sure, the faster-than-light travel is neat, but there are plenty of other games that do that and a lot are free.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Extra posted:

And here I was, seeing Red take Blues scroll, Blue fighting to get it back, Blue running back with it, and then the ambush by both Yellow and Red as people caring about scrolls. There were so many people in one area the server crashed.

Making this more clear. This was an ambush by Yellow and Red in Blues territory to take Blues scroll that Blue just stole back.

Stop being melodramatic and exaggerating today. These posts read like a gamefaq post.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Third World Reggin posted:

And here I was, seeing Red take Blues scroll, Blue fighting to get it back, Blue running back with it, and then the ambush by both Yellow and Red as people caring about scrolls. There were so many people in one area the server crashed.

Making this more clear. This was an ambush by Yellow and Red in Blues territory to take Blues scroll that Blue just stole back.

Stop being melodramatic and exaggerating today. These posts read like a gamefaq post.

You chose to omit that it took about 5-6 hours for blue to even make an attempt at getting it back and then they completely ignored it when the server came back up. It was something to do out of boredom from the normal keep drudgery (especially when Blue was receiving their scheduled poo poo getting kicked in session) and after they realized it really didn't matter and wasn't all that fun in the first place no one cared enough to make another run at getting it back for the remainder of the weekend if I recall correctly. It's a lot different between getting the game for free and being excited about it because you didn't pay for it, and ponying up $60.

jestest posted:

It would be interesting if there was a way for a group to vote someone as a traitor. They could be killable by anyone for some period. Maybe a day?

We all know how well mob rule works in MMORPGs.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 7, 2014

jestest
Feb 12, 2014

Ancient Aliens: Closer Encounters

RFC2324 posted:

I don't see how having a traitor in the defenders using his abilities in a way that surely was intended(pulling someone marked as an enemy to you) is a bug. Sounds like a mechanic to me.

I may have played too much EVE tho.

It would be interesting if there was a way for a group to vote someone as a traitor. They could be killable by anyone for some period. Maybe a day?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Extra posted:

You chose to omit that it took about 5-6 hours for blue to even make an attempt at getting it back and then they completely ignored it when the server came back up. It was something to do out of boredom from the normal keep drudgery (especially when Blue was receiving their scheduled poo poo getting kicked in session) and after they realized it really didn't matter and wasn't all that fun in the first place no one cared enough to make another run at getting it back for the remainder of the weekend if I recall correctly.

No seriously, stop being melodramatic. I didn't choose to omit that it took time for a large thing to happen. I just thought most people could figure out that it took time for a large thing to happen without me saying anything.

They didn't completely ignore it when the server came back up. The server just crashed when they attempted it. There are plenty of reasons one would not want to repeat the scenario that caused the server to crash during a limited play time beta.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

jestest posted:

I would say an hour, but that would be the best mechanic. Additionally, perhaps lock the posterns to them if they have been voted as such? As pointed out, the game has no real death penalty.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

RFC2324 posted:

As pointed out, the game has no real death penalty.

When in Enemy territory with a group if you are killed by a sorcerer or other class that can turn your corpse to dust so you cannot be resurrected the penalty of death is a very very long run back. Same goes if your group is low on level appropriate soul gems. Partially why camping secluded questing towns, dungeons, and other faraway points of interest is probably the highest level of trolling in Cyrodiil.

e: I wish every MMO sold place-able cosmetic campfires and tents.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 7, 2014

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Extra posted:

When in Enemy territory with a group if you are killed by a sorcerer or other class that can turn your corpse to dust so you cannot be resurrected the penalty of death is a very very long run back. Same goes if your group is low on level appropriate soul gems.

Corpse run isn't much of a penalty, its just a minor annoyance/get out of a dangerous situation free card.

If you don't lose poo poo you will have to work for hours to re-earn, its not a real penalty.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

The time it takes to get back to a fight is very important. You can win sieges through attrition if the run is far enough. It often is. This is a real penalty.

jestest
Feb 12, 2014

RFC2324 posted:

I would say an hour, but that would be the best mechanic. Additionally, perhaps lock the posterns to them if they have been voted as such? As pointed out, the game has no real death penalty.

I wonder if people will be able to use Silver Leash (the fighters guild version of DK pull) to pull vampire players up walls as well or if they are going to nerf the pulls so they can't go vertical.

jestest fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 7, 2014

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Third World Reggin posted:

The time it takes to get back to a fight is very important. You can win sieges through attrition if the run is far enough. It often is. This is a real penalty.

But if you are already a traitor helping the other team....

Minsky
May 23, 2001

This is kind of why I was previously asking about the progression system, i.e. "the dangling carrot", for PVP (e.g. realm ranks or gear or anything) because I think it's the only way to inject "meaning" into this kind of DAOC-style RVR. As was pointed out, it's not comparable to EVE Online because there's not really any real consequences to losing territory even if it wasn't trivial to retake that territory.

This kind of RVR is basically a game of medieval Planetside, which itself is just a really scaled-up game of Battlefield, which depends on a progression system of unlocks to remain interesting for I think most people.

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

NOTHING LIKE HAVING THE BEST OEGAMIOM IN THE WORLD EVERYDAY!

Reason posted:

I didn't like the game because it was boring.

Are you a fan of other MMOs as well? Or was it boring because it wasn't Skyrim?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Minsky posted:

This is kind of why I was previously asking about the progression system, i.e. "the dangling carrot", for PVP (e.g. realm ranks or gear or anything) because I think it's the only way to inject "meaning" into this kind of DAOC-style RVR. As was pointed out, it's not comparable to EVE Online because there's not really any real consequences to losing territory even if it wasn't trivial to retake that territory.

This kind of RVR is basically a game of medieval Planetside, which itself is just a really scaled-up game of Battlefield, which depends on a progression system of unlocks to remain interesting for I think most people.

Well, they do declare a winner and reset the campaign every 90 days, so there is that.

jestest
Feb 12, 2014

RFC2324 posted:

Well, they do declare a winner and reset the campaign every 90 days, so there is that.

Are the "yet undetermined" prizes for this still "yet undetermined"?

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

jestest posted:

Are the "yet undetermined" prizes for this still "yet undetermined"?

Personally I hope it's a some form of object I can set upon my character's head.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

In the last beta campaign that was 2 or 3 days I didn't score high and just got some gold.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

Well we are playing an MMO here: pointlessly collecting ultimately worthless virtual things is sort of a defining part of the experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Minsky posted:

Well we are playing an MMO here: pointlessly collecting ultimately worthless virtual things is sort of a defining part of the experience.

Warhammer's medal system was pretty neat and I'd like to see it expanded upon so the arch PvP poopsocker's uniform would have all these badges and trinkets hanging off it as if he (e: or she) is some sort of highly decorated general.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 7, 2014

• Locked thread