Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
So I've been running through the single player missions and had just ambushed a convoy.

After my success I was driving my spoils home when I had the audacity to honk my horn.
Check the kill credit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Looool. Was the horn rigged to activate a booby trap or what.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Strumpie posted:

So I've been running through the single player missions and had just ambushed a convoy.

After my success I was driving my spoils home when I had the audacity to honk my horn.
Check the kill credit.

Ahahahahah. Astounding.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

New sitrep. Looks like we're getting the new planes/trucks on the dev branch within the week and an urban loadout for the Slammer tomorrow.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Has anyone figured out how to place objects in Zeus mode? Like Sandbags and whatnot. I can't spawn any bigger military vehicles either, like tanks and helicopters. I guess I can't because it is a work in progress?

Edit:

Turns out you have to enable some sort of godmode in the parameters.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 4, 2014

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Torabi posted:

Has anyone figured out how to place objects in Zeus mode? Like Sandbags and whatnot. I can't spawn any bigger military vehicles either, like tanks and helicopters. I guess I can't because it is a work in progress?

All structures and props are located at the bottom of the empty unit list.

However, by default zeus missions limit what zeus can spawn, and unlock more things as the zeus player completes "zeus" objectives such as placing spawn points and objectives for players, and getting the players to accomplish certain things (the devs list "have a player kill and enemy with an SMG" as an example). This can be changed by the host by by clicking the "parameters" button in the upper right on the select role screen before the missions i started.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Praseodymi posted:

New sitrep. Looks like we're getting the new planes/trucks on the dev branch within the week and an urban loadout for the Slammer tomorrow.
You mean next week on the planes/trucks -- they're currently "primarily tweaking the jets' flight models and getting the final sounds in place." Personally, I'm looking forward to the new PBO extraction tool and moreso to the new samples. On the other hand, here is a list of the plenty of changes made to UAVs/UGVs in the past two months.

Torabi: In addition to what Slashrat said, here's some first-hand documentation from Mořický himself.

Also, for anyone who so cares about revolver grenade launchers: a guy who was porting over Arma 2 weapons before the official, public source files release recently threw in the M32 MGL and sources some days ago, the catch being that "while the optic now moves up and down, it only is useful out to 200M before the sight buries itself inside the weapon."

Highlight items from today's dev branch changelog, even if tomorrow's presumably-stable branch update includes them:

quote:

• Fixed: Non-PhysX vehicles were not supported by Vehicle Respawn module
  • Increased Satchel Charge power by 50% but decreased its range to 33%. It should be therefore safer for use yet more than enough powerful to level down buildings and severely damage or even destroy armored vehicles if placed properly. Scaled IEDs accordingly.
  • Decreased weight of thermobaric RPG HE rocket to 2/3 of standard RPG rocket so OPFOR Rifleman may now carry one more
  • Updated ammo boxes load-outs:
  • Added powerful Satchel Charges into Explosive boxes
  • Added side-specific flare composition into Grenade boxes.
  • Introduced 3-round 3GL grenade mags into BLUFOR Grenade boxes

quote:

ZEUS
  • Fixed: Placing multiple Remote Control modules in a row broke down the system (http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=17590)
  • Fixed: Getting killed after leaving a vehicle as remotely controled unit didn't return player back to Zeus interface (http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=17592)
  • Fixed: Returning back to Zeus interface from remotely controlled unit sometimes didn't move camera to the unit (http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=17477)
  • Fixed: Vignetting while in remotely controlled unit was perhaps a little bit too strong
  • Added: Tab and Ctrl+Tab can now be used for browsing editing modes (as a replacement for F1-F4 keys, which are now used for storing camera positions)
Also, @CBA_A3 has been updated to "beta 5".

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
From one of the Arma Skype groups:

quote:

[8:54:07] <redacted>: none of the A2 vehicles have proper Fire Geometry, so as far as armor goes its more model based than anything (if I understood your question correctly)
[8:56:27] <redacted>: A2 and prior: Fire Geometry LOD was literally just a low-poly vehicle model determining the "hit-able" geometry
[8:58:32] <redacted>: A3: Fire Geometry LOD models the armor "shell" of a vehicle with (supposedly) correct thicknesses and all, a simplified version internal components (engine blocks, etc.) are modeled as different materials as well
:words:
[9:20:34] <redacted>: I'll get to work on that, if I slow you down, just let me know and I'll hand over a graphical diagram with every surface defined by thickness and angle
[9:20:55] <redacted>: (angle is very important as A3 takes it into account for the ballistics sim)
Yeesh, talk about Arma 3 complexity... although a dev noted that, in the case of BI's T-72 tank sample model, "the sample model was to show the way of improved armour and damage modeling, not how exactly should they be modeled" as far as values (i.e. thickness of floor and rear), and "its gearbox sucks, wheels and tracks aren't modeled precisely."

sexy cougar on the prowl
Dec 31, 2008

Makky posted:

I've finished 'porting' over Zeus to the Arma 2 maps. If anyone's interested, the collection is here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=234505454

Nice work. I played a little Zeus on some of the OA maps. I almost forgot what it was like to have a good framerate.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
We're up to v1.12 now, should be about a 709 MB download on stable branch, and the changelog is at the link -- fixes, additions, tweaks, "balance" changes, the lot, but it'll be at least a day before dev branch gets some of these such as the Slammer UP, for those of you who are sticking to dev branch for the sake of Zeus.

Some may find this of interest: "Standardized damage of tank tracks - invulnerable up to 7.62x51mm and hand grenades, otherwise can be damaged".

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
The gunner improvements and nice, armored car PIP screens seem to be better centered now? The refresh rates looked better but that might have been SP.

Driver position is still a joke. It's 2030s and there are no cameras for the driver? You can't even turn out in most armor, not that you would want to.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Chortles posted:

it'll be at least a day before dev branch gets some of these

Nope, dev branch is updated.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
You're right, I see the changelog:

quote:

05-03-2014
No new EXE
Size: ~538 MB

DATA
  • Added: Slammer UP
  • Improved: Armored vehicle optics

ZEUS
  • Fixed: The first Post-Process set by Zeus appeared instantly for players, without any transition
  • Added: Placing or moving "Custom Objective" and "Move" module over another object will attach them to the object. Using this, you can for example simply snap an objective to a vehicle.
  • Added: New objective modules - "Neutralize", "Protect" and "Get In Vehicle"
  • Fixed: Community addons were not recognized by Zeus, even when they had costs registered correctly and their addon was added using addCuratorAddons or 'Manage Addons' module
  • Added: BIS_fnc_taskCreate and BIS_fnc_setTask now supports "AUTOASSIGNED" state - it will automatically assign the task when no other task is assigned yet
  • Added: Objectives (e.g., "Move" or "Neutralize") are now assigned automatically to players when they have no assigned tasks yet

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Carecat posted:

The gunner improvements and nice, armored car PIP screens seem to be better centered now? The refresh rates looked better but that might have been SP.

Driver position is still a joke. It's 2030s and there are no cameras for the driver? You can't even turn out in most armor, not that you would want to.

I drive turned out quite a lot, especially if third person is disabled.

The only time I would recommend against doing it is if you're in very open terrain getting shot at, or possibly if you're in a hostile urban environment.

Otherwise the improved field of view for the driver can honestly be a major aid, trying to figure out what the gently caress is going on with your tank while peering out of your VCR slot can really cause problems.

Couple that with getting hit by a lot of AT weapons loving your tank right up, regardless of whether you're turned in or not, and heavy small arms fire is almost the only thing that would encourage me to turn in.

But yes, better vision slots would be nice.

Alternatively I would accept replacing all armored vehicles with the strider. The strider is the best vehicle. It can drive into a wall at 130kph and it just ramps that poo poo. Also best windscreen rather than dumb squinty hunter peepholes. Also laser deg as standard.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 5, 2014

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

Lewie posted:

Nice work. I played a little Zeus on some of the OA maps. I almost forgot what it was like to have a good framerate.

Ouch.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
After a long hiatus, I figured I play some Arma3 again. What's it with at least 80% of the servers running loving Altis/Stratis Life?!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Combat Pretzel posted:

After a long hiatus, I figured I play some Arma3 again. What's it with at least 80% of the servers running loving Altis/Stratis Life?!

Nerds like survival games because they can fantasize about being a badass last man standing type, unlike real life where they'd be among the first to be run down for their backpack full of cheetos and Pokemon cards.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EvilJoven posted:

Nerds like survival games because they can fantasize about being a badass last man standing type, unlike real life where they'd be among the first to be run down for their backpack full of cheetos and Pokemon cards.

And Altis life because there are some genuinely insane people.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Are oddities like empty vehicles floating 50M in the air and teleporting when you move closer to them exclusive to wasteland? Some really odd stuff happens with the positions shown to the client. I didn't see this happen in 64 player dynamic coop.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

I have no goddamn idea. Apparently some people really like pretending to live really boring lives.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Combat Pretzel posted:

Get some friends together and make missions with Zeus. It is the best thing in Arma. You need the dev branch for it. Making stealth missions for your friends is a ton of fun.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
:siren: SPOILERS INSIDE AN OFFICIAL PBO :siren:

Someone on the BI forums unpacked language_f_epc.pbo (one of the official PBOs) and read the stringtable.xml inside, finding a bunch of stuff such as the new air weapons:

quote:

str_a3_rocket_03_fl_f0 : Tratnyr
str_a3_missile_agm_02_plane_cas_01_f0 : Macer
str_a3_missile_agm_01_f0 : Sharur
str_a3_rocket_04_fl_plane_cas_01_f0 : Shrieker
str_a3_missile_aa_03_f0: Sahr-3
str_a3_missile_aa_04_plane_cas_01_f0: Falchion-22
str_a3_gatling_30mm_plane_cas_01_f0: Gatling Cannon 30mm
str_a3_bomb_03_f0 : LOM-250G
The name of the OPFOR jet (named after the Egyptian vulture)

quote:

str_a3_cfgvehicles_o_plane_cas_02_f_library0

To-199 Neophron is a new addition to CSAT air forces. An agile single-seat aircraft is used for close air support but can also take down air threats. It cannot carry as much payload as NATO's A-164 and has to rearm more often, but it can take-off even from the rough terrain, not being as dependent on air bases or aircraft carriers.
The BLUFOR jet is the next entry down:

quote:

str_a3_cfgvehicles_b_plane_cas_01_f_library0

A-164 Wipeout is a single-seat aircraft used for close air support and air interdiction. The life-cycle of it's predecessor, A-10, ended in 2030 and the need for replacement grew more important with the rising tension in Pacific. A limited development budget did not allow for a fresh start, instead the concept of A-10 was improved with better shape, engines and armaments.
Also, here's the description of the Tempest truck series:

quote:

str_a3_cfgvehicles_truck_03_base_f_library0

Tempest is a 6x6 mine resistant standard transport truck fro CSAT army. Its primary role is to carry troops and cargo under armor. Modular design of the truck allows several transport versions: cargo, refuel, medical, repair and ammo resuply.
What that description doesn't say though is that both the Tempest and the Zamak (AAF version only?) are getting a LRS variant each -- their string suffix is "mlrs". :black101:

There's also mention of press vest and cap, journalist and scientist clothes, several mentions of a "(Device)" (including a Tempest variant suffixed with it), an appearance by "aged" Nikos, what appears to be new objects for the Stadium and Ghost Hotel locations as part of their planned revamps, an appearance by an HMS Proteus... and the new theme tracks, which are spoilers (such as the title "Back on Stratis").

Not related to the above but the last item of today's dev branch changelog: "Added: Prototype of weather and time synchronization for MP" :science: According to BI's Dwarden: "note: DayZ weather implementation is subpar (and incomplete from A3 viewpoint)
Arma 3 DEV 1.13 has way more robust and better one
" And according to Karel Mořický, "#Arma3 MP synced weather now available in the dev branch. @sadovsf didn't use DayZ solution in the end, because it wasn't modding friendly."

Chortles fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 6, 2014

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Carecat posted:

Are oddities like empty vehicles floating 50M in the air and teleporting when you move closer to them exclusive to wasteland? Some really odd stuff happens with the positions shown to the client. I didn't see this happen in 64 player dynamic coop.
It might be the version of Wasteland you are playing. There are like, 3-4 different variants. When I played, it was usually on the sa-matra version.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Also found in that stringtable.xml:

quote:

-<Key ID="str_a3_cfgvehicles_land_carousel_01_f_useractions_spinthecarousel_left0">

<Original>Spin the carousel</Original>

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Now I played it some more with decent missions. It's nice to see that there's still random disconnects because BattleEye doesn't get its poo poo together, and that the AI is still rubberbanding all over the place. Also, the Nightstalker is a monster of a scope.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
Does anyone have experience with the AliVe mod?

My buddy and I have been digging DUWS and AliVe looks like it's either the next level or a fiery wreck.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Snaxx posted:

My buddy and I have been digging DUWS and AliVe looks like it's either the next level or a fiery wreck.

Just looked it up and I can't find much info on the specifics.

Honestly the main thing I want for all these dynamic campaign missions is a robust foritification system. I want to actually be able to set up entrenched defences in areas and secure areas of the map with a string of bases which can cover an area. DUWS has no provision for that and frankly seems to be little more than a random enemy spawner, while WLA has a rather clunky system and suffers from pretty terrible balance where it spawns you on top of enemies half the time.

Edit: Also Alive is a pain in the arse to install and doesn't come with any missions. Probably not worth the effort.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Mar 7, 2014

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen
AliVe is fantastic tool for making large missions where you move across a lot of terrain and having fighting happen everywhere along the route, without wasting a ton of resources simulating all the dudes everywhere all the time. It's also really easy to use and their youtube tutorials are well made.

So I guess it depends on what you want from it. If you want to make missions with a lot of units across a large area, it's great. If you want to make missions with a lot of units in a small area, it doesn't really help. If you don't want to make missions and want to just pop into a map and have poo poo happen everywhere, it's definitely not what you're looking for.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
Thanks OwlFancier and Sniper Party.

Are there any good missions available that leverage AliVe? Any that you would recommend?

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen
I don't know about any Armaholic or Steam Workshop missions, since we usually make our own missions with the group I play with, and personally I've just dicked around with the thing instead of making any actual missions. I could ask a friend of mine to upload some of his better ones somewhere, if he thinks they're good enough without the mods we run with.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Aaaaand the terrible eagle eye AI has not been fixed, either, after all that time. I'm taking my sweet time flanking the backside of a hill, crawling it up while trying to hide behind tall shrubbery, in a ghillie suit of all things, and as soon I get to the crest, one shot instakill from far away.

It's theoretically a nice game, but considering the long times needed to get anywhere, instants like these kill my desire to play this game.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Had fun Zeusing around earlier. I really need to get a replacement headset. What do you folks suggest?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Combat Pretzel posted:

Aaaaand the terrible eagle eye AI has not been fixed, either, after all that time. I'm taking my sweet time flanking the backside of a hill, crawling it up while trying to hide behind tall shrubbery, in a ghillie suit of all things, and as soon I get to the crest, one shot instakill from far away.

It's theoretically a nice game, but considering the long times needed to get anywhere, instants like these kill my desire to play this game.
Was this during a user created mission? If so, they probably messed up the AI. If it was during the campaign, I don't know what to tell you. They gave the AI really low accuracy in the campaign so you can somewhat Rambo around if you know what you are doing.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yeah, that happened in multiplayer, but it was one of those dynamic missions called Annex&Invade (or something). It usually doesn't spawn insane AI, so it seems more like the usual issue of all AI parameters evaluating against your favor, that happens once a while.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Think of it as karma for all the times 20 players camp a hill with 50 cal snipers and ATGMs.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, that happened in multiplayer, but it was one of those dynamic missions called Annex&Invade (or something). It usually doesn't spawn insane AI, so it seems more like the usual issue of all AI parameters evaluating against your favor, that happens once a while.

That's the dilemma in a lot of user missions. Playing DUWS presents an issue where even at default AI difficulty the player can get rammed on his first engagements. One of the best ways to deal with this is take side missions (that are not armpit deep in an enemy zone), use those points to buy fire teams and then coordinate a multi-team strike on a zone to take it. If that sounds really cool that's because it is, however if you set the enemy AI to something lower than default you can assemble a 5 man personal squad and with a bit of skill you can capture a zone like that. Ranged fire fights at that setting feel the same but once you get up close you start to notice how brain-damaged the AI can get.

These two idiots, for example.

frank.club fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 7, 2014

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Old Arma player, here.

I just entered in the mp browser, because I wanted to check the new improved mp performance I read about in the official forums. And it runs nice, yeah.

But how the hell is now the "life rpg" missions dominating the public servers? These missions existed in Arma 1 and 2, but they were always a small corner of the community, now somehow they have dominated the scene. Imagine a new player entering for the first time, he will think that's the normal Arma gameplay in mp!

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Snaxx posted:

Try Patrol Ops 3 instead. It's like DUWS, but less "randomly placed but otherwise identical enemy spawns" and more "huge variety of interesting and varied individual missions".

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009

Ralith posted:

Try Patrol Ops 3 instead. It's like DUWS, but less "randomly placed but otherwise identical enemy spawns" and more "huge variety of interesting and varied individual missions".

That looks great! Going to try this out tonight. Thanks for the recommendation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chompers
Jun 29, 2006
There's a number of cool Alive missions on the offical site:

http://alivemod.com/missions