Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
Newport HQ

"Yah," Mara Day croaks. "I can spare a watcher fer that. Just direct me on a map where ya want it."

"Well I can't say I'm thrilled about corralling a mob of ghouls and releasing them into the neighbourhood," Nigel demurs. "I wouldn't want anyone to get hurt because of our actions--excepting Coll, of course, I imagine you'll have to shadow the mob to ensure they actually get him. And if you're going to do this at least make sure you tidy up your mess afterwards and the pack doesn't wander off. Egads, imagine the headlines. 'Newport unleashes infected on poortown'.

"Now, if you wish it, Leftenant Aitkin's force will remain at the perimetre, one squad blockading each road out of the area. Kale, do you have that map? What do we know about the locale?"

The local fixer reluctantly takes the stage, and the e-board displays the mapsoft of the region: http://i.imgur.com/NKvdf2S.png

"He is somewhere in this district," Kale says, circling the region around the cyberpet factory, the pool hall, and the old newspaper house. "This suburb has a reputation amongst the locals. There are several known busaw nests in the area--that's ghouls--the nearest rumoured one said to be in this closed restaurant to the south-west. This entire area is a rating E zone, so corporate security presence is nonexistent. The few locals who live here cannot afford a policing contract for the district, meaning authorities only attend in the event of a large disaster that could threaten neighbouring locales which do have contracts."

"Well I believe that's the long and the short of it," Nigel says, taking a seat on a van bumper and folding his arms. "I'd love a month or so to plan this, but we'd best move now before Coll exfiltrates. At your suggestion, Natalya, I'll maintain three squads here as garrison and lock down the base to foul any potential counterattack. I dearly hope that doesn't leave you undermanned. Vincent must not escape again. If it's not prudent to take the cur alive, then just bring me his body."

Aguinaldo Avenue

"Relax, Mr Coll," Smith says. "This is not our first rodeo. A ghoul taking a nosedive into the pavement's nothing to get jumpy over. I'd do it myself if I ever got the virus. Here, take this," he reaches into his jacket and tosses you an earbud and tiny subvocal mic. "It's logged into our tacnet. That way I don't have to say everything twice."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Natalya

ltr posted:

:Of course it's one of Coll's dumb plans. Huk, Ghouls and probably Ares, what a great combination. Any of us get a bead on Vinnie, just take the shot. Life would have been so much easier if we had done that the second night in that warehouse.:

::Yes well, we all have regrets, darling,:: Natalya subvocalized before turning her attention back to Newport and waving her hand airily, her other arm still draped across Mara. "Of course, sweetie, of course. We will be the very picture of discretion. And if all else fails, well, there are always grenades. Now then, let's see here..."

Pulling herself away from the gravel-voiced mage she sauntered over to the map on display, peering intently at the neighborhood in question and the area that they had tracked Vincent's signal to in particular. She remembered the area now, the running gunfight against the, what were they called again...Aswangs? That reminded her, she really needed to touch base with Salvadore, see how he was faring since the attack and whether his boss was still likely in thrall to vampires or not.

"Hmm," she said out loud as she assembled an AR map of the area in her display, noting windows and sightlines as she went, "if I were in charge of planning a horrific massacre, where would I go..."

Just for kicks I'm gonna roll Natalya's Security Design knowledge skill to see if it can provide her any potential insights as to where the ambushers might likely be set up, and thus what a good, stealthy avenue of approach is given the layout, sightlines, etc.

8d6t5 = 3

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
Upper story windows facing the main street look a likely spot for ambushers--that way they have a good view of the avenue and a roof over their heads to conceal them from any skyborne surveillance. A talented crew would cover the back entrances too, but even so, the dim, clutter filled alleys are the best way to approach.

-
(Take those 3 hits as extra dice to your infiltration roll when moving about the area).

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Natalya

"There," Natalya said as she pointed out spots on the map, her giddy affability giving way to clear and professional tones as though someone had flipped a switch inside her head, "and there. If this is an ambush it is a given they will be covering the main road on the east and west approaches, if they are professional about it then they will be covering the others as well, but the south-southeastern approach seems most advantageous to me. Fewer windows facing that direction, more cover. We could try coming around from the northeast as well, but there is not as much room to maneuver, too many potential chokepoints."

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Stormcrow

"Let's take the most direct route we can while still being somewhat stealthy. The last thing we need is to get held up in an alley or something. I can set up some watchers as a diversion on the other route. They're not good for much but they can make some noise."

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013
Noise

"I'll sweep for wireless traffic as we move in. I know Cole's allergic to commlinks or something, but I can't imagine that's true of the rest of his crew. Maybe we'll get lucky and one of them won't be running in hidden mode."

If nothing else, that would let Noise quickly spot the ghouls they were apparently going to be neck-deep in. Most Kreiger-strain victims didn't have enough higher brain functions left to tie their shoelaces, much less operate a commlink. The ones who did usually spent their evenings in their apartment watching trids like everybody else, not roaming the streets looking for braaaaaaaains.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Natalya

"The direct route?," Natalya asked, head lolling towards Stormcrow, one eyebrow arched. "Really darling? Tch, you wound me. Well however we decide to go about our business we should take care not to find ourselves trapped between angry soldiers on one side and hungry ghouls on the other," she said, waving her hand vaguely at the board. "That means staying clear of the western approach."

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 24, 2014

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
Update... Thursday? Because this is me: :barf: I probably just ate something bad, but I'm going to assume it's malaria.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
That sucks. Vomit frequently and drink plenty of fluids.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yikes. Take care of yourself CO.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

If in had a nickel for every RPG session interrupted by projectile vomiting...

Take care of yourself CO

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013
Ugh, sounds awful. Rest and feel better!

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
Well, I'm on the mend. Rough week, but it's not all bad, I lost 3 pounds! I'll get things going again shortly.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I admit I was worried when we hadn't heard from you all weekend, less so for the game and more just wondering whether you'd taken a turn for the worse. Glad to hear you're not dead.

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013
Welcome back! Good to hear you're OK - wish you'd managed to drop that weight in a more pleasant way.

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
Unfortunately still :zombie:. I wanted to get things going this weekend but I'm still mostly confined to the couch. Will post when brain works.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

:ohdear: Drink lots of fluids! I'm not sure if that will help, but I'm told the secret to health is fluids.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Just think of this experience as preparing you for truly getting into the mindset of a feral ghoul.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Double-posting to check and make sure Children Overboard is still alive.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

Double-posting to check and make sure Children Overboard is still alive.

I think one of my other GMs died, I hope Children Overboard doesn't follow him.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
I've run games that I was willing to die to escape.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Depending on how this clusterfuck plays out you may be dying anyway :v:

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
Okay, sorry about that. I'm about 75% better, and back at work and everything. Unfortunately the medicine I have to take has the notable side effect of seasickness, but anyway it's not that bad during the day so I'm good to get back to posting.
-

Newport HQ

"Well chaps and chapesses, this is no time for tea and sympathy," Nigel declares. "We have our plan, such as it is. I hate to sound terribly common, but let's bring Coll in, dead or alive."

"Alright lads!" Lieutenant Aitkins barks. "Squads 1, 2, 3, load up, you're comin' wif me! Squads 4, 5, 6, in garrison! Don't let no bastard through them gates but us!"

The squads load up into three trucks, leaving a fourth for you driven by the little seldom-spoken Welsh dwarf. Nigel gives you his best impression of a salute, and then you're off into the night.

Aguinaldo Avenue

The trucks split up about a mile from the site to spread out and cover the district exits. One squad heads to block off the northern bridge back into the rest of the city. The second squad parks their truck in the fields to the west, the marshy flatlands on the outskirts of town leading up to the jungle. Lieutenant Aitkins leads the third squad and spreads them out among the ruins to the east of Aguinaldo Avenue, setting the guards up on rooftops of gutted buildings at 50 yard intervals to scan the street for any sign of Vincent fleeing.

That leaves Nail, Natalya, Noise and Stormcrow to cover the south. The workers who have to cross through this part of town know to get home before sundown, because no security company is going to come down here and clear out monsters for free. Any one of these rotted structures could house a feral busaw nest or metacritter infestation, usually dormant during the day, but a hive of infectious teeth and claws at night. You approach up through the alleyways, heading through empty streets and abandoned buildings. The streetlights are all busted, uncollected garbage sits stinking in the alleys, and the odd devil rat probes at rotting refuse, scurrying away when they sense you coming. The infected see in both worlds, and Stormcrow knows they're tough to hide from given the way living things glow brightly on the astral. So you take it slow, keeping your eyes peeled for ferals whose brains can get so rotten they don't even have enough wits left for self-preservation. Backup isn't far off: Newport's forces could be here in moments if you radio to them, but it only takes one bite to come down with the famously virulent HMHVV.

-

Okay, everyone who wants to get closer give me an infiltration and a perception check (I'm assuming you leave the car behind as it's sorta unstealthy).

-

Vincent, as far as people you'd like to spend a weekend fishing trip with, Mr Smith would have to rank pretty low. Given that he won't speak of anything "opsec", and that amounts to 95 per cent of his existence, you're left to discuss blandly declassified subjects like the weather and sports (though he refuses to disclose which team he backs, since that would reveal his home city, and that's classified).

-
If there's any final thing you wanna prepare or measure you want to take, now's the time.

children overboard fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 28, 2014

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Natalya

The night air was almost oppressively thick with muggy, warm humidity even this late in the evening, and the bouquet of unattended garbage didn't do much to add to the ambiance either, but Natalya's pharmaceutical good cheer remained unassailable. Somewhere out there was Vincent Coll, along with nests of feral ghouls, potentially dangerous paracreatures, and possibly a squad of angry rebels as well. It was nights like this, she thought to herself as she silently stalked through the run-down maze of alleyways and boarded-up storefronts, that made one feel truly alive.

She was conscientious enough to keep her giggling subvocal, at least.

As giddy as her mind may have been, however, it didn't diminish her skills in the slightest. Her jumpsuit's active camouflage was a faint digital flicker in the darkness, thermal baffles cranked up to full gain as she darted ahead of the others, avoiding strewn debris and broken pavement with expert precision. The suppressed Ingram, ruthenium-coated and loaded with hi-explosive rounds, rested comfortably by her side.

::Watch your step,:: she subvocalized to the others with a giggle, vanishing into the maze of buildings. ::Don't worry darlings, Aunt Natalya will lead you through the deep, dark woods. Follow the breadcrumbs now children, and watch out for Baba Yaga.::

Welcome back CO! I'm glad you aren't dead.

Natalya will take the lead, looking to both scout out a clear path for the others to avoid any nasty surprises as well as trying to see if she can spot whoever (or whatever) may be lying in wait for us up ahead. That includes Vincent. Now I believe the newspaper house burned down in a mysterious fire in no way connected to us, so I'd like to move Natalya to the building directly south of it and climb to the roof for a better vantage point unless something else gets in the way first.

Infiltration 19d6t5 = 4

Eh, that's kind of lame for 19 dice. Gonna edge the duds. I know I know, remember what happened the LAST time I got edge-happy.

15d6h5 = 6

So 10 hits on Infiltration.

Also a Perception roll. 11d6t5 = 3 Natalya's cycling through low-light and thermographic as needed but is only using her ultrasonic goggles in PASSIVE mode, which means instead of broadcasting pulses of sound she's looking to see if anyone else in the area is also using ultrasonics (which could imply drones, other people with similar equipment or augs, etc).

Not to tell anyone what to do, and bringing one along with ghouls in the area might be a bad idea, but if there's time before we move out Stormcrow might want to weigh the pros and cons of summoning a spirit beforehand. At the very least it's a bullet sponge.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 16, 2014

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013
Noise

As Natalya slipped away into the darkened alleys, Noise starts a glowing timer in his AR display, waiting for it to tick down to zero before following the point girl into the maze ahead.

Devil rats. Demon rats. Demon Emperor rats (no, really, my cousin saw one once). Ghouls. Vincent. There's no way Newport could be paying enough to make this feel okay.

Ugh - time focus on the job at hand and not think too hard about whatever it that just squelched under your combat boots. Bringing his scanner utilities and sensory enhancements online and dialing the gain up to eleven, the troll begins sweeping for wireless signals as he does his best to skulk along in Natalya's wake.

With one eye on the shifting glow of his AR interface and the other on the path ahead, Noise texts the rest of the group.

::Welcome back to the greatest show on Earth, party people - I'll let you know if I ping a stray wireless network. I assume we're going to find a convenient hole to duck into once everything starts exploding? Worst case, we could always book it to that old slaughterhouse and slip out through the sewers.::

Welcome back, CO! Congratulations on your continued functioning!

Infiltration: 11d6t5 3
Perception - keeping my eyes open: 11d6t5 6

Scanning for hidden nodes: 10d6t5 7
Scanning for hidden nodes: 10d6t5 1
Scanning for hidden nodes: 10d6t5 6
Scanning for hidden nodes: 10d6t5 1

That's the fifteen successes in four Complex Actions, with the following caveat. Had to spend an Edge to avert a critical glitch on the first node scan, but I think that second roll is a standard glitch. Oops.

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
Aguinaldo Avenue

Natalya creeps forward silently, crossing the alleyway and making it over to the group of four small food outlets that went out of business when most of the local population adopted a strict diet of metahuman flesh. She spies a drainpipe on the side of the abandoned suit hire building directly south of the newspaper house that could be scrambled up.

Meanwhile Noise checks the airwaves. There are just under 20 nodes within handshake distance. That'd be low for most parts of the city, but it's high for a rundown area like this given that the only buildings with power are those running on generators like the meat warehouse, and you don't know many ghouls with commlinks (sorta hard to read a screen when you're blind in this realm). Getting a location on the nodes will take more time, but anyway it's only accurate to within about 50 meters.

But as Noise is crossing the alleyway to keep up with Natalya he glances northwards and spots something Natalya missed. Over behind an overfull dumpster his trollish vision catches a flash of heat from a living creature. It jerks suddenly, partially stepping out from behind cover to level a cold barrel towards him. It's a woman in a well-tailored (and likely well-armoured) suit, with an odd mechanical backpack linked up to her weapon. He spies a second humanoid shape further to the north, the man stepping clear of some rags and boxes that were concealing him to likewise bring his strange gun to bear.

"Hold it right there!" the nearer woman calls out. American accent. You didn't think she looked like a Huk or a ghoul. "This area is subject to an official investigation! Put your hands up and get on your knees and you won't be harmed."

-
Now that Noise has spotted these two and they've stepped out, other people don't need further perception checks to spot them.
The conditions are partial darkness, so -2 to normal vision or thermovision, and no penalty to low light vision.
Also Noise, doesn't look like either of those rolls were glitches, so you can keep your edge (glitch is only when half or more of the dice pool come up as 1s).
-

Up in the second floor of the burnt out newspaper house, Vincent hears a transmission on his borrowed earpiece. A subvocal message from one of the agents out on the street: "IC 9 male spotted, armoured, sou-east alley."

Smith silently replies: "Make the collar. Carry out the DNA test if he'll comply. If he goes for a gun, just scorch him and we'll do it post-mortem. Agents, unless he causes trouble, I want everyone else to hold your positions. They may have split up, and I don't want to be blindsided if we're all looking the same way." Then he turns back to Vincent and asks: "This group of Newport's. Is one of them a troll?"

-

children overboard fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 28, 2014

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Natalya

Natalya's nighttime reverie was brought to a sudden and unpleasant halt as a pair of figures stepped out of the gloom, leveling what looked like weapons in Noise's direction. "gently caress, gently caress, gently caress." How had she not seen them?

She chanced a quick glance around the corner, zooming in on the nearest figure...a well-tailored suit and tie along with some sort of weapon she was unfamiliar with. She quickly snapped a feed off to Lieutenant Aitkins, ducking back behind the building. ::Not rebels,:: she subvocalized. ::Corporate, by the look. American accents. I'm guessing Ares since we never seem to run into anyone else around here. Soooo...do you want us to kill them?::

Up ahead was a drain pipe leading to the roof of the building in front of her position, and while the suited figures were focused on Noise she silently crept towards it and climbed to the roof as quickly and as stealthily as she could, unslinging the Ingram once she reached the top. ::Don't panic,:: she said to Noise, tagging the pair of figures with AROs. ::Let the others get into position.::

Well this is about to go sideways fast. I'm editing my last post to better reflect how far I actually made it before people with backpack guns started popping out of the woodwork. Let me know if I need another Infiltration roll to make it up to the rooftop or not.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

children overboard posted:

Vincent, as far as people you'd like to spend a weekend fishing trip with, Mr Smith would have to rank pretty low. Given that he won't speak of anything "opsec", and that amounts to 95 per cent of his existence, you're left to discuss blandly declassified subjects like the weather and sports (though he refuses to disclose which team he backs, since that would reveal his home city, and that's classified).

If there's any final thing you wanna prepare or measure you want to take, now's the time.

Nothing in particular, although I DO like Mr. Smith, and besides, during a fishing trip you're supposed to shut up.

Vincent Coll

No wonder security guards were so inept. This was excruciating.

Having exhausted all normal outlets for conversation, Vincent found himself sharing tips on cleaning the unavoidable fluids of his profession with a mostly disinterested Mr. Smith. "I never bought into the whole club soda, salt, tooth paste nonsense. There was this brand of clothing they used to push at stuffershacks--NerpSherts, you still see them for sale occasionally. They had a nanomachine system to change the pattern, way cheap to sell the technology when it was new. Just crack open the tag, pour it over the stain, and--" Vincent pauses as Mr. Smith turns to the side and begins muttering. "Do we have contact?"

Smith silently replies: "Make the collar. Carry out the DNA test if he'll comply. If he goes for a gun, just scorch him and we'll do it post-mortem. Agents, unless he causes trouble, I want everyone else to hold your positions. They may have split up, and I don't want to be blindsided if we're all looking the same way." Then he turns back to Vincent and asks: "This group of Newport's. Is one of them a troll?"

Vincent narrows his eyes. Did the actual team show up, after he warned Natalya to keep them unavailable? Well, they were big boys and girls. Or maybe they'd just sent a band of punk musicians through the neighborhood to see if anything would happen to them. "Yes. No uniform? I'll climb up to the roof and take a look. If it's not them, it'll just look like I'm being paranoid and dangerously insane. It's better than tipping our hand that we've got assets hidden about the area." Without waiting for a response, Vincent grabs the windowsill and pulls himself up, clambering up the building's rough face.

Five hits, climbing a building.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Oh right, climbing rolls, I suppose I ought to do that too.

18d6t5 = 7

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Nail

As the sounds of someone not on the team ordering Noise to drop to his knees, Nail brings his rifle to his shoulder and starts creeping along to flank them.

:Stall them, moving in to flank.:

moving up near the "The Old Teahouse" then making my way down the alley between the two bad guys.

infiltration: 12d6t5 4

Life is crazy right now, the online classes I teach just started so getting used to the workload. Should be sorted out by the end of next week. I'll do my best to check daily, but if I forget, sorry!

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013
Noise

::Why would I panic? I'll just play along, beats getting . . . uh, depolarized or whatever those things they're holding do. Let me know when I need to duck.::

Noise cracks his biggest, brightest smile while raising his hands to shoulder height and begins gabbling cheerily in his best mix of broken, linguasoft-assisted Filipino and gutter Cantonese. "Oh, Americans! Great, very good the best! Nice suits, yankee - especially you, pretty lady. You free tonight? I know a great noodle place downtown. That your boyfriend? Drop the zero and get with a hero - that's me, of course. Nice guns! I like Ghostbusters too - just let me go and I can get you bootleg trids of everything Bill Murray and Harold Ramis ever did. Maybe some stuff they never did, too - this Japanese bunraku studio I know just put out Ghostbusters 6: Revenge of the Erlking. You'd love it!"

This worked once back home - confused the hell out of some Triad legbreaker long enough to let a coworker slip a monowhip around his neck and pull. Maybe it'll work again?

Any chance I can pick out the PANs of these two suits for some hacking shenanigans?

Edit: Oh god, I made the GM say "interesting" - it's been real, y'all. vvvvvvv

Emerald Rogue fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Mar 19, 2014

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
Interesting! I'm absolutely beat so I'll update tomorrow, in the meantime, Vincent, can you roll Perception to see if you spot Natalya on the opposite roof, and Natalya, you're also in a position where you might/might not spot more possible figures, so give us another perception check.

Also Vincent, are you hiding when you go up on the roof? If so, give us a check, thanks!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
If my years of professional elfgaming have taught me anything it's that it's never a good sign when the GM says that something is interesting.

As a side-note, Natalya's active camouflage imposes a -4 penalty to Perception tests to see her, hth.

11d6t5 = 2 Not my best roll ever BUT I'm going to hold onto my remaining edge for now because I have a feeling I'm going to need it, so letting it stand.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

Stormcrow

Stormcrow circled around the building to his right, crossing into the narrow alleyway between the boarded up remnants of a roller rink (Really? A children's attraction in this neighborhood?) and the wall of a building so heavilly festooned in graffiti that it looked like the random blit pattern of a dead viewscreen, the tags of defunct street gangs blending into each other, telling the story of the rise and fall of influence in this area like a tree's rings tell the story of its age.

He flattened himself against the wall, trying his best to blend into the shadow despite the garish backdrop. If needed he'd be ready to jump into action, but he didn't want to tip their hand too early.

Infiltration: 2d10t5 1

Baby Babbeh fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 19, 2014

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Also Vincent, are you hiding when you go up on the roof? If so, give us a check, thanks!

Nope. Showing THEM I know that the arrest is going on is the only way I can warn them they've fallen into my trap without tipping off Mr. Smith. It might make me look bad? A pity.

As for spotting Nat: Yeah, that's not going to happen.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 19, 2014

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
Aguinaldo Avenue

Vincent hears another subvocal communique over the Ares network. "Our perps had a troll with them," Smith confirms to his agents on the ground. "Exercise extreme caution. Shoot him if he reaches for anything other than ID."

Down in the alleyway the agent scowls humourlessly. "Get on the ground, lard rear end," she tells Noise in linguasoft-assisted Tagalog as she strides forward, keeping the strange weapon levelled towards you. "Now you've got to the count of three to get down, or I will put you down, and I'm not gentle. One..."

As she moves towards Noise the agent behind her stays close on her tail, taking up her former position behind the dumpster. Focused on the smart-mouthed troll, the agent fails to notice Nail moving around the side to get into position.

Back on the rooftop, Natalya gets a transmission back from the lieutenant. "Ares? What's that mob doing out here, then?" she grumbles. "Listen love, I don't like to pick a fight if we don't need to, but this is an unpoliced part of town, init? If it's self defence, then do what you got to... if they're standin' in the way of us bringin' a known rebel to justice, Governor Culala's more likely to kick them off the bloody island than to give us any trouble."

At that moment, Natalya spies a suspicious late night spiderman crawling up the side of the newspaper house. It's Vincent, clambering up to the rooftop. That makes things easy.

-

Emerald Rogue posted:

Any chance I can pick out the PANs of these two suits for some hacking shenanigans?

Edit: Oh god, I made the GM say "interesting" - it's been real, y'all. vvvvvvv

Yes!

Baby Babbeh posted:

Stormcrow

Infiltration: 2d10t5 1

:reject: d6s, sir! But you don't need a stealth check yet if you're staying that far away.

Map:

children overboard fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 28, 2014

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Natalya

Scaling the building proved an inconsequential challenge, and Natalya briefly felt a pang of annoyance over the fact that it had been almost a week since they'd arrived on the island and she had yet to climb anything that one could properly consider a skyscraper. The mall had been the closest she'd come and even that hadn't been terribly spectacular, although the overhead tram had made up for it somewhat. Still, Lagu-Lagu was proving to be built disappointingly low to the ground for her tastes. Honestly, what anyone saw in a place like this was simply beyond her.

She made the best of it though, vaulting over the edge of the roof with a gymnastic flourish and gracefully tumbling to a halt at the other end, dropping prone. She cycled through vision modes as she scanned the surrounding alleyways and rooftops for any more surprises lying in wait...even under the influence she wasn't stupid enough to let herself believe that those were the only two agents (and that was undoubtedly what they referred to themselves as, who else would wear suits like that in this heat, and at night no less) in the vicinity.

::Mmm...well I'm not hearing a no,:: she said to Lieutenant Aitkins, tail idly swaying as she propped her chin in her hands, then she froze as she caught sight of someone scaling the building across from her. Was that...? It was. She'd half expected him to have left long before any of Newport's forces could arrive in time. That would have been the smart play. Then again, this was Vincent they were talking about. Grinning, she plugged the fiber-optic line running from her datajack into one of the burner 'links she'd bought earlier and dialed his number.

::I seeeeeee youuuuuu,:: she subvocalized before dissolving into a fit of hysterical laughter. ::Vincent, darling, all of this just for me? You shouldn't have. No no, don't turn around,:: she went on as she slowly plucked one of the high-explosive grenades from her harness, peering over the edge of the roof at the burned-out building across the street, the scene in the alley below playing out in her peripheral vision.

::Did you know,:: she said, ::that even after everything you've done Newport still wants you alive? Not that he insisted too strongly of course but still, there exists a distinctly possible chance that he doesn't actually want to murder you horribly. I know, I can't figure it out either. Speaking of horrible murder be a dear and tell your new friends to lower their weapons, hmm? For me? You wouldn't want them to do anything that might stir up the ghouls, now would you?::

To the others dashed off a quick text with an idle thought: >Distraction incoming.

CO, from where I'm perched does the old newspaper house look A). like a decent-sized explosion might cause it to collapse in whole or in part and B). like it has any convenient windows/holes in the wall through which some enterprising soul might be able to toss a (wireless-deactivated) high-explosive grenade? I ask solely in the interests of scientific curiosity.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Vincent Coll

Vincent stops creeping across the rooftop as he receives the wireless call. So even the one he warned directly not to be available was there. Well, she was an adult. She could make her own decisions.

::Ah, so nice to hear from you. Don't worry yourself on my account--:: Vincent raises both hands to shoulder level, showing them empty, before reaching into his coat and pulling out a battered pack of cigarettes and a lighter. ::--I wouldn't dream of risking a payday like this. If Newport is really trying to end this fight to the death with both of us alive, I'm overjoyed! So, are you bringing me a certified credstick? Or is the deposit being made directly, like I requested?::

::As for my friends--no, most of them are still in the jungle. I brought that specs kid along to spoof my gibsons on the internets, but if you gave him a gun he'd only shoot himself with it.::

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

CO, from where I'm perched does the old newspaper house look A). like a decent-sized explosion might cause it to collapse in whole or in part and B). like it has any convenient windows/holes in the wall through which some enterprising soul might be able to toss a (wireless-deactivated) high-explosive grenade? I ask solely in the interests of scientific curiosity.

A) Hmm let's see... unless you're going to blow up all the walls, you want to hit the structural supports, and p166 tells us metal beams have armour 16/structure 13. HE grenades do DV 10 AP -2, but explosives DV is doubled when destroying objects, so DV 20(+hits) vs Armour x2 (AP doesn't apply), is, buying 8 hits, average of 12. So as long as you get at least 1 net hit on the attack roll, you could destroy the beams. I'd say if you blow up at least 2 then the building would start to collapse. To locate the beams you can either use demolitions+logic(only need 1 hit) or a harder perception+intuition(3).

B) Yep there are windows in both the upper and lower floors, agility+throwing(3) check to get a grenade through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Natalya

It was a sure bet that the building Vincent had emerged from held several more of the suited agents laying in wait, probably holed up chatting away subvocally over a tactical network while periodically straightening their ties and checking to make sure their sunglasses hadn't slipped...it was tempting to see whether a knock in the right place would simply cause the burned-out husk of a building to collapse in upon itself, swallowing everyone inside, Vincent included.

But as amusing as that mental image was, and it was amusing, try as she might she simply couldn't tell where to apply the necessary force in order to bring it crashing down. One of the most important skills one could cultivate in this line of work was the ability to assess a situation and quickly decide upon a plan of action. And so taking into account

1). the fact that Noise was currently being threatened by someone with something she could only assume was a gun of some sort,

2). that demolitions wasn't exactly her usual forte and she only had a limited supply of grenades to work with,

3). and, she was forced to admit, it was fair to say that she perhaps wasn't entirely operating at full capacity at the moment

she hastily made a judgement call, turning her attention from Vincent to the street below and depressing the activation switch. ::Mm, hold that thought, would you?:: she subvocalized to him as she casually tossed the primed grenade over the side of the roof to land behind the woman advancing on Noise with a metallic clink.

So apparently I can't roll more than 2 hits on a Perception check to save my life, which is sort of like being awesome only it's not. I'm rolling 11 dice here Orokos, cut me some slack would you? drat.

Okay, so I've got only 2 Edge at the moment and I don't want to spend another point on that check only to botch the grenade toss sooooo I'm going to curtail my urban renewal plans in favor of the direct approach. I'll toss that grenade somewhere in the direction of the agent lady bearing down on Noise since it looks like violence is inevitable and gently caress it, if you're gonna go loud then go loud with style. Obviously I'm doing this in a way that won't catch Noise in the blast radius (though he may need a shower after everything's said and done).

10d6t5 = 5

And look at that, no Edge needed. It's clear that Orokos approves of gratuitous explosions, at least. The priority is on the agent threatening Noise, I don't know if the other agent could potentially be hurt by the blast as well considering he's hanging out behind something but I'll leave that up to the GM to determine.

• Locked thread