Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So from what I'm hearing they haven't even managed to get in to the ice caves yet? Because that's just incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Internet Kraken posted:

So from what I'm hearing they haven't even managed to get in to the ice caves yet? Because that's just incredible.
They were 1 tile away but then decided to fly home.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I'm always surprised by proportionally how few people actually vote during Democracy events compared to the total amount of stream watchers. Every Democracy vote is something like 200 to 400+ votes, with 15 thousand viewers.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
A lot of people just like to watch.

Hearing about the Fly shenanigans warms my cold, black heart. Like a return to the glory days of old.

Honestly I don't think future generations would be as fun simply because of the convenience and quality of life changes, Red/Blue/Yellow were so busted and nonsensical in some of the most obvious and annoying ways(but still good games) that it was a perfect storm for entertainment for the stream.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

In terms of entertainment this next section of game is about as good as we're going to get; ice puzzles with strength puzzles followed by a town made of ledges and a gym full of even more strength puzzles bookended with more ledges. It really doesn't get much better than this in gen 2.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Brannock posted:

I'm always surprised by proportionally how few people actually vote during Democracy events compared to the total amount of stream watchers. Every Democracy vote is something like 200 to 400+ votes, with 15 thousand viewers.
I don't think anarchy gets that high of a vote ratio either, it just seems higher because you see the constant flood of commands passing by.

Speaking of, twitch managed to fly back to Mahogany with democracy, then immediately go back to anarchy. :allears:

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
I think if this is tried again in a year or so Yellow would be the best option to go with. Then there's no shot at beating the game with a solo starter :getin:.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Back in Pryce's gym, turned battle animations off. :munch:

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
My big hope for this stream is that they get through victory road, only to accidentally talk to the guy with the abra.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Brannock posted:

Watching the real-time stats stream is interesting for that reason. Whenever it goes into democracy mode, the amount of inputs actually skyrockets compared to anarchy.

The graphs are 5-minute periods; generally in anarchy most of them will be in the range of 75-125. In democracy, the graphs can usually soar up to 1400. Basically anarchy totals around 500-1000 most of the time, democracy usually spikes to about 1500-3000.

Thanks to the hourly nature of the stream you can at least read the long term input graphs and get an idea of when democracy comes in (though not when it ends).

For as much as the chat/reddit bitches about democracy, it's the time most people are actually participating.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I used to attempt to help but quickly realized I was a fish in a sea. In Democracy I at least help vote if I happen to be watching. Funny thing is usually they do like one thing in Demo then immediately go back to anarchy.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
By the way, Pryce's team can't do poo poo to Feraligatr and his strongest mon dies in one hit to Surf.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
We killed Pryce over a day ago, we're just fumbling around the gym in another failed attempt to get to the ice path.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Who was it who said they were waiting for someone to say they were "saved" by TPP?

From the Helix Choir's Facebook:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
The chat is quite interesting. The commands are an endless flowing river of poo poo; each occasional tryhard "GUYS WE HAVE TO DO THIS" post is a brightly-colored chunk of corn livening up the display.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Leofish posted:

Who was it who said they were waiting for someone to say they were "saved" by TPP?

BINGO!

What do I win?

Also: :3:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
It was kind of heartwarming just now how excited the chat got when they ran into Delibird. Too bad they don't have any pokeballs left. They really wanted to catch it.

nullEntityRNG posted:

BINGO!

What do I win?

You win the chance to buy that kid's game whenever it comes out. :v:

There are still good people. :3:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Lazergator warms my heart. I don't care if the whole stream hates him, Feraligator is always gonna be the best starter around.

Also I see they finally made it into icepath. gently caress this cave. It drove me crazy as a kid and the music is burned into my brain. Just watching it is making me angry because it made me miserable for the longest time.

EDIT: This music seriously horrifies me. So many days wasted on the ice.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Yeah, the stream's really hit its stride the last couple of days. Lots more :3: moments and cool things happening.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

source

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Moving in random directions is how I got through most of these puzzles so they should be stuck here as long as I was.

So about 4 days :suicide:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Well, it took awhile, but this stream is finally starting to produce some good fanart. :unsmith:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

SlothfulCobra posted:

The Helix Choir is the best thing to come out of TPP.

I just got around to listening to them and holy loving poo poo I am not emptyquoting.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Pyroi posted:

Nah, it's about the same as it was at Red's lowest point. I remember it being just shy of 20,000 viewers back at the beginning.

When I first saw the link on these forums it was about 1,000 people watching, and the OP mentions that there were only 3,000 people watching at the time I created this thread. Viewership is certainly down but even 1,000 viewers is enough for entertaining chaos.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Lazergator, we salute you.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Did they anarchy or democracy past the ledge?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Haha sometimes I wonder if this is a stealth marketing ploy by Nintendo. I mean, why else hasn't it been C&D'ed?

Because of TPP, I finished replaying Emerald this week, and just bought a 3DS XL for Pokemon X/Y. :|

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

sincx posted:

Haha sometimes I wonder if this is a stealth marketing ploy by Nintendo. I mean, why else hasn't it been C&D'ed?

Because of TPP, I finished replaying Emerald this week, and just bought a 3DS XL for Pokemon X/Y. :|

They couldn't have timed the "Buy a 3DS and a game, get X or Y free" deal any better. The deal went active right as the Red stream ended. It sold a 3DS XL and some games to me.

It helps that X/Y are loving awesome. I love that they crammed as many pokemon from the various generations as they could into the encounter tables rather than shoving the new ones down our throat until the endgame like they tended to in the past. I'm 5 badges in and my team consists of Azumarill, Hawlucha, Tyrunt, Raichu, Delphox, and Golett. I've got a few others I can rotate in thanks to the Exp. Share.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
X/Y's biggest problem is lack of a decent postgame. Hope this gets fixed for Z or XY2 or whatever.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

The Battle Subway will forever remain the most interesting idea I've ever heard in Pokemon endgame but have never actually seen in action so who the gently caress knows.

Didn't X/Y have that loving Battle Mansion or whatever? Battle Society? I forget. I lost my gamecart before I could finish the drat game, anyway. :\

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I like the idea that the Crystal team is a military group, rather than a religious cult like the first game. Major Lazrgatr :3:

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
There's the Battle Chateau which has 20 or so trainers that you can fight over and over again at varying levels (in the teens to 60s pending on what thing you activate) and replaying shortened rosters of gym leaders and elite four members up to level 80.

The battle mansion is just the standard fight better AI that have superior pokemon and RNG in their favour.

Battle Subway was neat and all but my favourite was the White Tree. That was probably my favourite post game concept. Basically you had no healing items and would go through each floor individually finding a gate keeper to fight off against the boss trainer of that level.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Zonekeeper posted:

They couldn't have timed the "Buy a 3DS and a game, get X or Y free" deal any better. The deal went active right as the Red stream ended. It sold a 3DS XL and some games to me.

This is me too. My reaction to X/Y is mixed. I think the Pokemon distribution is awesome like you said, but I'm not convinced that moving so far away from the old overworld art style was a good thing, and while the 3D battles are impressive the Pokemon poses seem bland as gently caress compared to some of the variety in sprite art we used to get (granted some of the actual moves are really rad). Also, these have been commented on in the threads as a weakness of X/Y, but enemy trainers don't have nearly enough Pokemon and the superfriends group crosses the line from cool into annoying, especially the way they always show up to narrate plot events while the protagonist holds the idiot ball.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I actually really like a lot of the models. I've been sperging out on the game lately and been noticing a lot of personality - at least in gen 1 pokemon. Venonat bouncing about, Pidgey shaking its tailfeathers, etc

Really what is stunted are their attacking animations. Those are pretty basic but I understand why.

Post game is bland but you have so many pokemon options you can make your own meta goals

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Anyone got a link to this 3DS deal? I want one and that sounds great

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008

Magres posted:

Anyone got a link to this 3DS deal? I want one and that sounds great

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/pokemon-x-y-free-with-purchase-of-system-and-one-game/1100-6417961/

For the entire month of March, if you register a 3DS/2DS/3DSXL and one of the listed games (I suggest Animal Crossing) with Club Nintendo, you get a free digital code for either Pokemon X or Pokemon Y (your choice).

Note that this also works if you already own both of these things and never got around to registering them, even if you've had them for months. So if you already have one of the aforementioned games and one of those systems and you never registered them with Club Nintendo, try it. Might get yourself some free Pokemon. :v:

Buh
May 17, 2008
Gah, it's US only, this is why we can't have nice things :'(

Buh fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Mar 8, 2014

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Wow, 7 badges already? Gold/Silver must be easier to fumble through than Red/Blue. Oh right you have to do all the Kanto gyms again dont you, heh.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
There's also that their starter is really over leveled and they gave him a great moveset - Feraligatr's Surf at this point will instakill just about anything, regardless of typing, and I don't think I've seen anything survive two of them. Maybe a 1/4x double resist will survive a few. As far as I know, they haven't lost a fight in like two days

The stream is still fun again anyway, because they have other Pokemon that fight so it's not "Use Surf: Crystal" and because of stuff like this:

:3:

Chat has actually gotten noticeably nicer and more fun since Operation Love 1.0

Magres fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't know if I could handle them making it to the end of the cave only to black out at the last moment.

• Locked thread